2016 Toyota Prius- Now even uglier then before!

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 308 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
It will be unveiled at Frankfurt motor show.

Warning: The following pictures may be disturbing to some viewers. Viewer discretion is advised.
:P

2016-Prius-1.jpg

2016-Prius-2.jpg

It looks similar to that hybrid concept. I knew it at first glance that it would be the new Prius judging by how ugly it looks.

I genuinely didn't mind the Mirai. This, on the other hand, will take some getting used to.

However, the Prius' biggest problem isn't its looks. It's that it's no longer a technological leader. The styling was always secondary to it being comfortably the most efficient car on sale. Now, there are dozens of cars - plug-in hybrids, full EVs etc - which beat its USP.

I think they're ahead of the curve, styling wise. I expected concept esque styling at some point, but really around 2020. I guess Toyota wants to lead the pack and I'm sure we'll see more companies style their cars in a futuristic manner as well. Or maybe that's what every manufacturer has been doing all the time...

I think they're ahead of the curve, styling wise. I expected concept esque styling at some point, but really around 2020. I guess Toyota wants to lead the pack and I'm sure we'll see more companies style their cars in a futuristic manner as well. Or maybe that's what every manufacturer has been doing all the time...
The only other major company that has made a futuristic design style and not be too badly critized is BMW and they're i8 and i3.

I see that Toyota is trying to ensure you will break a headlight in any kind of front end collision.

Everyone tries to design at least a few years into the future.

The problem is... the Prius seems a hodgepodge of what is already "future now"... floating D pillars are not unique, and it's a trick Toyota is already doing on the Yaris. And those winged headlights are going to be old hat in 2020.

If you want "future proof" headlights, you want something designed around LED projectors, as on the Lexus NX. Having acres of bare reflector around a traditional light pod is so ten years ago.

Beyond that, the grillework is awkward. You've got the "vestigial" upper grille that plagues so many designs nowadays... cars which no longer need big grille areas, but which still keep an "upper" grille for posterity's sake, and you have the front bumper sleeved into the fenders in an effort, perhaps, to hide how ungodly long the nose is... and then those fenders come up so far forward the entire front end looks heavy.

In fact, that line running down the headlight to the foglights is singularly unappealing. It's as if someone was told to draw a line that broke up the weight of the front end... and he did so without actually looking at the car.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Oh they're ahead of the curve alright...in a tree.

Oh the Torture !!

My eyes my eyes....

Soon they will call this Art... Like Picasso

.... We will all learn to like it and to accept it.... It will be everywhere....

I think that i wouldn't hate the 3rd Gen Prius as much as before anymore...
This 2016 Prius made the older 2009 Prius look like an E TYPE Jaaaaag....*

*Sarcasm but still that prius made the older one look much better than before.

Really?, I think it looks hideous with its droopy nose and overdone styling which bares no relation to the marque whatsoever... you could stick a Panoz badge on it.

I have to say I think the new Prius is an improvement on the old one, it does look like the face a cat would make in a wind tunnel but it does follow the current design language and the back looks really good. The Mirai looks even better.

Back