Are you/Do you want to be an Organ Donor?

• Thread starter fyfee
  • 39 comments
Curious.

I'm only 17 and I want to be one. I figure I don't need my organs when I die. Someone who needs them should receive them so they can keep living their life :)

I've always thought that being a donor would be a good idea. I really need to sign up.

I'm an organ donor. Who knows..maybe they will just get "donated to science", as they say. Either way, its benefiting someone else when I see Game Over.

In these parts, the question is asked to you when you receive or renew your driver's license, as you're more likely to be killed in the US from automobile crashes than any other reason. This way, the proper authorities know right away.

I gave my little cousin my Yamaha PSS-270, so my conscience is clear :P

I reckon organ donation is a great thing, but you may wish to consult your next of kin about their feelings towards the issue as well, since your parents, spouse or children may feel differently towards the idea of your bits being chopped out of you if you are unfortunate enough to die while your organs are still useful to others. It's up to you at the end of the day anyway, but it doesn't hurt to find out what your loved ones think about the idea too.

I am an organ donor - Have the signed card and everything. Next of Kin have been consulted as well, and they all agree. It's really not MY fault none of them have filled out the cards...

Here in DK, doctors, off the record of course, refer to people riding motorcycles as "Organ Donors" anyway :-)

I would like to be, but not sure i can.. If im able i hope they dont take my heart, cause its :censored:ed already :lol:

I am an organ donor - Have the signed card and everything. Next of Kin have been consulted as well, and they all agree. It's really not MY fault none of them have filled out the cards...

Here in DK, doctors, off the record of course, refer to people riding motorcycles as "Organ Donors" anyway :-)

:D

So true.

"It's wet outside so your liver may be here quicker than you think"

Yeah, Gil has repeatedly referred to no-helmet bikers as organ donors.

My wife and I are both donors. It's on our licenses and written into our will.

I'm a donor. My thought on the whole thing is that I'm dead so what do I care, I might as well help someone out in need if I can. Also after they harvest my body they can donate what's left of me to science, I don't want a funeral or to be buried or cremated...it's a waste of money in my eyes.

I'm 15 and I'd be happy to give an organ to a realtive or good freind should they require it

CCX
I'm 15 and I'd be happy to give an organ to a realtive or good freind should they require it

If you're in a thousand pieces dead (sorry - Movie quotes stuck in my head) - why not share with a total stranger.. Chances of an immediate relative needing a spare part might not be very big...

My dad is cool with it, but my mom wouldn't be. I'm definitely considering signing my donor card in the next year or so since my health card is coming up for renewal anyways.

It sounds great in theory, but I wouldn't want to be an organ donor. If I am fatally injured in an accident and even if I have only a 2% chance of surviving, I wouldn't want them getting greedy and chopping me up prematurely instead of trying to revive me. Selfish, I know, but I intend to live whenever possible. Maybe if I required someone else's organs to survive it would be different.

Monty Python touched on this quite well, taking someone's organs immediately after they signed up, :lol: :nervous:

I've thought about this for a year or two now and figured why not, someone should benefit when I'm a goner, instead of them just going to waste.

Now just to make the effort and actually register.

Which are both, in my world, extremely poor excuses...

Again - Religion proves to be the enemy of the world...

While they are bad excuses it is the reason that is most given. I asked a few people today and it seemed religious reasons were the main ones given for not being a donor.

To the Organ Donors in Melb, is it as simple as just asking and getting forms from VicRoads? OR would I need to go elsewhere? I have no idea how to do it.

Let me introduce a quick hypothetical:

God forbid you die as a young father. Will they remove your organs and keep them (via freezing or however they do) for your children and family to use, or are organs always on a first-come-first-served basis?

First come first serve, take whatever might help someone out then and there. I wasn't even aware they could freeze them for later use, I thought organs had a, for a lack of a better word, shelf life.

Yes, first come first serve (well first on the list). It may be possible to have them frozen for future family use but I would expect a very large cost involved.

First come first serve, take whatever might help someone out then and there. I wasn't even aware they could freeze them for later use, I thought organs had a, for a lack of a better word, shelf life.

I thought if they were cold enough (Cryogenics) they would last long enough to serve your current family.

Moving… (this is more of a poll – Ask GTP is for “why does a and b happen?” type questions).

Anyway, I’m a donor. Once I’m dead, I don’t care what the hell my body is used for.

If I am fatally injured in an accident and even if I have only a 2% chance of surviving, I wouldn't want them getting greedy and chopping me up prematurely instead of trying to revive me.
Are you actually afraid of that happening? :odd: There’s no reason that would happen. That’s like worrying about being buried alive.

Well it looks like I'm the only one so far that isn't an organ donor. I just have a problem with the thought of someone cutting me open and piecing me out for for other people. And also don't other people get money from the person that get your organs?

Well it looks like I'm the only one so far that isn't an organ donor. I just have a problem with the thought of someone cutting me open and piecing me out for for other people. And also don't other people get money from the person that get your organs?

Not here in DK at least - I'm sure things are different in, say, Pakistan / China, that sort of place.. There you can be an organ donor, against your will, and not even be dead :-)

Well it looks like I'm the only one so far that isn't an organ donor.

I'm not a donor either. I just haven't got around to doing the stuff. I will one day, that's if anyone wants my probably alcohol and cholesterol filled parts anyway....

Back