Are you/Do you want to be an Organ Donor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fyfee
  • 39 comments
  • 1,420 views
This is me in my driver's license test filling out a form.

*I see a section do you want to be an organ donor*

a hell of a lot of writing about it

"Whatever. I tick yes."

I mean. It's not like I'll be around to have any use for my physical body now would I.
 
Well it looks like I'm the only one so far that isn't an organ donor. I just have a problem with the thought of someone cutting me open and piecing me out for for other people. And also don't other people get money from the person that get your organs?
Only if it's done on the black market, which is illegal in the US. There is a national signup list for people waiting on donations. When an organ is available for harvest from an accident victim or recently-deceased person, that's input into the database, and likely match recipients are called, a tissue match is located, and the organ is shipped directly to the hospital where the transplant will occur. The recipients and insurance pay for the effort of doing all this, but no one 'sells' the organ itself.

Donated organs have an extremely short shelf life - measured in hours or days at most. The clock has already been ticking before a tissue match is found with a recipient that is in shape for immediate transplant. Transportation and transplant must occur ASAP, to the point of chartering private jets for immediate cross-country trips.

There's absolutely no chance of 'banking' organs for long-term future use with current technology.

And, honestly, if you're dead, why would it matter? I mean, really. Although it wouldn't particularly be a pleasant spectacle for others to watch, I wouldn't care if someone urinated on my corpse, painted it blue, and rolled it down a hill in a truck tire. I'm never going to know it. And if my corneas can help somebody else see again, or my kidneys can get a person off dialysis, that's all the better.
 
I wouldn't care if someone urinated on my corpse, painted it blue, and rolled it down a hill in a truck tire.
Post of the day, brought to you by Duke's Enterprises.
 
I would like to be, but not sure i can.. If im able i hope they dont take my heart, cause its :censored:ed already :lol:
I'm in the same boat and I can't even give blood. Basically, I have been told that my eyes are an option and that's it.

It sounds great in theory, but I wouldn't want to be an organ donor. If I am fatally injured in an accident and even if I have only a 2% chance of surviving, I wouldn't want them getting greedy and chopping me up prematurely instead of trying to revive me. Selfish, I know, but I intend to live whenever possible. Maybe if I required someone else's organs to survive it would be different.
Doctors take an oath to try their best to save your life. This would be murder on a doctor's part. So, basically you are worried someone will murder you for your organs. It's more likely that you will be murdered for your wallet.

While they are bad excuses it is the reason that is most given. I asked a few people today and it seemed religious reasons were the main ones given for not being a donor.
What is their religion? I know a handful where thsi is the case, but I know I occasionally find some crazy beliefs among Christians.

God forbid you die as a young father. Will they remove your organs and keep them (via freezing or however they do) for your children and family to use, or are organs always on a first-come-first-served basis?
They can't freeze them like that. The risk of cellular damage is too great. We'll be cloning organs before we can freeze them. And then it is top of the list that gets it.

Now, if your brother needs a kidney and you want to give him one of yours (and you match) then you can do that.

I also know that you can donate blood for a specific someone who is having a surgery soon. When I had my last surgery my mom, dad, and brother all gave blood to be stored for me in my surgery. Yes, we all have the same blood type.
 
Funnily enough, I just recently listened to a Penn Radio podcast where Penn said that he wouldn’t care if his corpse is used as a gag at a frat party. :lol:
 
If you're in a thousand pieces dead (sorry - Movie quotes stuck in my head) - why not share with a total stranger.. Chances of an immediate relative needing a spare part might not be very big...

I suppose your right flerbizky.

:) 👍
 
What is their religion? I know a handful where thsi is the case, but I know I occasionally find some crazy beliefs among Christians.

Christian, mostly Catholic and I think one of them is Baptist. I'm not sure most Christian religions are all way to similar to me for me to make distinctions.
 
Christian, mostly Catholic and I think one of them is Baptist.
Well, I was raised Baptist and my wife is Catholic. In fact, she teaches the religious education course. Either your friends are mistaken or lied to avoid an uncomfortable conversation.

According to the Red Cross only Gypsies are opposed. Everyone else encourages it or are neutral as long as it is for the betterment of human life. Why else would you donate them?
http://www.redcross.org/donate/tissue/relgstmt.html

I'm not sure most Christian religions are all way to similar to me for me to make distinctions.
The basic points are the same, but that is about where it ends. I get confused every time I go to church with my wife, flipping through the little book to find what I am supposed to be saying and what hand gestures I should make. Occasionally I even find the message to be so far off what I have been told that I am in shock (Mary ascending into Heaven). When my wife goes to church with me, when we visit my parents, the only books we need are a hymnal and a Bible, and I don't trip over anyone suddenly kneeling next to a pew without warning.

Bounce around and check them all out a bit and after everyone agrees about Jesus things will seem to be night and day.
 
Although it wouldn't particularly be a pleasant spectacle for others to watch, I wouldn't care if someone urinated on my corpse, painted it blue, and rolled it down a hill in a truck tire.

Duke, I would love for you to plan my funeral.
 
Doctors take an oath to try their best to save your life. This would be murder on a doctor's part. So, basically you are worried someone will murder you for your organs. It's more likely that you will be murdered for your wallet.

Yes, they'll try to save my life, until they label the situation as "hopeless" and pull the plug... :lol:

But if there is a guarantee that I will die before I arrive in the hospital then there's no reason why I wouldn't be an organ donor. Aside from the defected hearing organs they can use anything they wish as far as I'm concerned. I would like the brain to be frozen, though. Might live on in a form of technology in the future, if my brain isn't too damaged by that point. But it's worth a shot, eh?

Hmm, coming to think of it, my revived brain would contain a different "mind" than my own, wouldn't it? Kind of like how twins have the same brain but completely different minds...
 
Back