Are you waiting to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 162 comments
  • 17,857 views

Are you waiting to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5?

  • Hell yea, it's the only reason I want a PS3!

    Votes: 103 20.9%
  • I will wait until Gran Turismo 5 is out and reviewed before I buy a PS3.

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • No, I want a PS3 for other games as well.

    Votes: 28 5.7%
  • No, I already got a PS3 slim this year. (2009)

    Votes: 18 3.7%
  • No, I already got a fat PS3 this year. (2009)

    Votes: 33 6.7%
  • No, I've had a PS3 since 2008.

    Votes: 154 31.3%
  • No, I had my PS3 since its launch in Europe/AU in 2007.

    Votes: 83 16.9%
  • No, I had my PS3 since its NA/SA/ and Japan launch in 2006.

    Votes: 48 9.8%

  • Total voters
    492
You lucky guy! Guess what I found also. This is regarding the Xbox 360, but please read before saying anything:

The console was also announced in Argentina in mid-2005, with "100% probability" that sales will begin in December 2006. But a year later, in May 2006, Microsoft pushed the launch date to December 2007. Still, it's very unlikely that Microsoft will actually sell their product in Argentina, considering the low sales of game consoles in the country: Sony introduced the PlayStation console in 2004 (almost 10 years after launch date in Japan), and a few months after that, the PlayStation 2, both costing twice as much as the "bootleg" imports, available in the country for years. Also, the price of the games is far from what the average gamer can afford, in the order of $100 to $180 USD, while PC game prices are adjusted, costing between $20 to $60 USD.

So... we have to stick with the PS3 no matter what. IF we are able to afford it, that is. :boggled: :boggled: :boggled: Epic boggle. I want to be shot.

Microsoft is being racist.
 
I got mine in February when I got my tax returns. I didn't buy it just for GT5 but it was one of the motivating factors.
 
I had mine since its launch in EU in 2007, to be ready for GT5!
 
No, but I know a couple people who are putting it off until GT5's date is officially announced.
 
Hey Codename, why does Argentina get the middle finger compared to the other regions?
 
Good question, a shame I can't think of any good answers. Want to know another thing? According to Wikipedia, we get the highest price in world for the 40GB PS3. In second place comes Norway, at $721 (USD).

And if you think $883 is a big number, I must tell you that there are some places here selling it at around at around $1200 (USD), and no, I'm not kidding you.

I hope things change once the PS3 Slim is released... if it's released here, that is. :nervous:

It's decided. Once I'm old enough, I'm moving to USA.
 
^It could be because of the exchange rate between Japan and Argentina. Well, that's the only way I can see fit as to why The PS3 costs that much in your country. Maybe you should move.:)
 
Customs are probably more at fault, since even if the retailer prices were high, if there was a possibility to import the consoles "gray", prices of such consoles would fall (as we see in Poland here - new games are up to 25% cheaper when bought from private importers.
 
You lucky guy! Guess what I found also. This is regarding the Xbox 360, but please read before saying anything:

The console was also announced in Argentina in mid-2005, with "100% probability" that sales will begin in December 2006. But a year later, in May 2006, Microsoft pushed the launch date to December 2007. Still, it's very unlikely that Microsoft will actually sell their product in Argentina, considering the low sales of game consoles in the country: Sony introduced the PlayStation console in 2004 (almost 10 years after launch date in Japan), and a few months after that, the PlayStation 2, both costing twice as much as the "bootleg" imports, available in the country for years. Also, the price of the games is far from what the average gamer can afford, in the order of $100 to $180 USD, while PC game prices are adjusted, costing between $20 to $60 USD.

So... we have to stick with the PS3 no matter what. IF we are able to afford it, that is. :boggled: :boggled: :boggled: Epic boggle. I want to be shot.

You should totally buy a plane ticket to somewhere you can get one cheaper... you would probably spend the same $$$ and get a free vacation out of it!
 
I bought my PS3 for the DEMO of GT:HD, thats right the demo of GT5P...

GT5P on release day (as was GT2 & 4).

GT3 was ~6months after it came out - didn't have a PS2 for a while.

GT, used to hire it from the video shop over the weekend. Bought a memory card & controller, then ended up with GT & PS1 for the next Christmas...

So, yeah I bought my PS3 for a Demo of a Demo...
 
i got mine in december '07 (not for christmas) and the main reason was GT5, but I fear i'll need to get a new one since it broke before, and now my refurb is dying. I'm not impressed by this console generation's reliability. It's BS. How many people have had their PS2 or Xbox 1 break? my PS2 is fine after umm, 7 years?
 
I'm waiting for "something" to buy a PS3, that something may be the price drop of the Slim, it may be GT5. At the moment I'm tossing up between a PS3 or a new video card for my PC. Realistically I'd only use a PS3 for GT5:P/GT5... I dont give a damn about Bluray (they are way overpriced, twice as much as DVD? Yeah right :p) and most of the interesting looking PS3 games are FPS games, and I dont like playing FPS games on consoles... mouse + keyboard all the way.
 
Good question, a shame I can't think of any good answers. Want to know another thing? According to Wikipedia, we get the highest price in world for the 40GB PS3. In second place comes Norway, at $721 (USD).

And if you think $883 is a big number, I must tell you that there are some places here selling it at around at around $1200 (USD), and no, I'm not kidding you.

I hope things change once the PS3 Slim is released... if it's released here, that is. :nervous:

It's decided. Once I'm old enough, I'm moving to USA.
:boggled:
Can't you go on Ebay and get one of the many PS3's:idea:
 
That wouldn't really be an option for him since a large amount of sellers don't ship out of the country due to high shipping costs.
 
Where are all the lurkers?

I'm one...

I bought the old ps2 compatible 60GB lumb back when GTHD was released, it hasn't seen much use other than GT5P. I tried to play a couple of games on it but they all had issues that the X360 versions managed to avoid, so I traded all of them. (Skate 2, Oblivion, Fallout3 +)

So I guess you can say I bought the console just for GT5. Not the smartest thing I've done as I paid twice the current price :ouch:
 
Ske
I'm one...

I bought the old ps2 compatible 60GB lumb back when GTHD was released, it hasn't seen much use other than GT5P. I tried to play a couple of games on it but they all had issues that the X360 versions managed to avoid, so I traded all of them. (Skate 2, Oblivion, Fallout3 +)

So I guess you can say I bought the console just for GT5. Not the smartest thing I've done as I paid twice the current price :ouch:

What a bad investment:indiff:
 
I've had mine since early 2008, brought it just for GT5/GT5: P, and MGS4.

EDIT: Apparently, I've answered the question already, oh well, two for one! :D
 
Im buying a PS3 Slim, a Logitech G27, and maybe a Playseat if i can, and that just for GT5. To justify more the "Investment" i think i'll also get NFS: Shift, and the upcoming Front Mission game, but basically, its all for GT! :dunce:.
 
I still have a PS2 in my house..... After GT5 is realeased I'll go straight to the game shop and buy myself a PS3!!!!! :D

its worth wwaiting for GT5 though,'cause its gonna be released in october-december
 
The PS3 is about so much more than GT5.
 
The PS3 is about so much more than GT5.

I'm sure it is, but my budget doesnt allow many games, and i really prefer racing games 👍.
 
I'm going to wait and see how it reviews before I commit. I went down this buy first ask questions later with the PSP and GT Mobile and look how that turned out (4 year wait for a pretty average game). I already have a 360 (because forza 2 was there first) so now GT5 will need to be £250 better than forza 3 to make me buy one!
 
Got mine on EU launch day and it's still going strong.
I'm really glad i have a 60gig bc of backward compatiblity, it's now a 500gig though :D
 
Got mine on EU launch day and it's still going strong.
I'm really glad i have a 60gig bc of backward compatiblity, it's now a 500gig though :D

How many ps2 games did you play on your PS3 via BC ?
 
Its the only reason i am and will be buying a PS3, though im sure ill use it for other games/ blu rays etc.
 
Bump for later release. Who's waiting until 2010 now?
 
I bought my PS3 as soon as the PS3 slim came out and played MGS4, although the main reason for me getting a PS3 is for the GT5.
 
Already bought one. For more than just GT, but GT will undoubtedly be what i'll use it for the most.
 
Back