Are you waiting to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 162 comments
  • 17,857 views

Are you waiting to buy a PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5?

  • Hell yea, it's the only reason I want a PS3!

    Votes: 103 20.9%
  • I will wait until Gran Turismo 5 is out and reviewed before I buy a PS3.

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • No, I want a PS3 for other games as well.

    Votes: 28 5.7%
  • No, I already got a PS3 slim this year. (2009)

    Votes: 18 3.7%
  • No, I already got a fat PS3 this year. (2009)

    Votes: 33 6.7%
  • No, I've had a PS3 since 2008.

    Votes: 154 31.3%
  • No, I had my PS3 since its launch in Europe/AU in 2007.

    Votes: 83 16.9%
  • No, I had my PS3 since its NA/SA/ and Japan launch in 2006.

    Votes: 48 9.8%

  • Total voters
    492
PS1 bought only for GT2...then bought GT1 additional
PS2 bought only for GT4...then bought GT3 additional
PS3 bought only for GT5P but in a bundle with Motor Storm Pacific Rift (nice game too!)
 
PS1 bought only for GT2...then bought GT1 additional
PS2 bought only for GT4...then bought GT3 additional
PS3 bought only for GT5P but in a bundle with Motor Storm Pacific Rift (nice game too!)

Only for GT5P? Surely you're gonna get GT5? :D
 
Only for GT5P? Surely you're gonna get GT5? :D

yes, I swear! And I must say the time I have spent with that game (although I am not addicted to it) was so much fun that the money was worth it...
Especially the online duels with mates and strangers as well! 👍

Bye the way...I will be on the track this evening...Driving Fuji 650 I guess...
Maybe we will meet... And drive fair cause I take some races on video sometimes... :sly:
 
Yeah, I bought a PS1 to play GT1. Then I bought a PS2 to play GT3 (registered here the day before). PS3 didn't have the same draw, and I was watching the hi-def disc market to see whether BluRay or HD-DVD would win. When it became clear that BD was the market's choice, I started looking at economical ways to be able to play BDs, and stop buying DVDs. Enter the PS3, post price-cut. I think I paid £289, about a year or 18 months ago. I don't even know what size of drive it has! (80GB, I would guess).

Although the prior PSs were primarily one-game ponies, we discovered Buzz, and have got that for the PS3, along with MC:LA and Killzone2. I went to play GT5:P the other day and couldn't find the disc. Oh well.
 
I already did it. Just for GT5. :)
Later I'll get a used G25 or a new DF Pro or DFGT.
 
Bump for later release. Who's waiting until 2010 now?

I'm buying my PS3 Slim, G27 and Playseat for December as planned (It's when the money comes in :dopey:.). I'll play NFS:S and GT5P til march, no worries, i'll work up hard to improve my skills (or get them actually :dunce:) and wander around this forums with the player made competitions for both games, they seem pretty fun 👍.
 
I'm askin for a slim ps3 this year for Christmas, but I'm kinda nervous cause, I turned 18 this year, so I'm afraid this Christmas and for the Christmas' of the future, I'll only get adult gifts like sweaters and books. But hopefully I'll get what I ask for. In that case, I'll also ask for GT5P, to keep me occupied till march.
 
Okay. What was the first game I got for the PlayStation 1? Gran Turismo. What was the first game I got for the PlayStation 2 when I got it for Christmas in 2001? Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. Just because these were the first games doesn't mean I want to get one system just for one game. You're talking hundreds of dollars for one system, then double-digit dollars for a game. There's a reason you want a console. And to me, it's because you're happy with what the system offers and that you feel happy and comfortable with that system. No one game should EVER be a reason to get a console. No one game should EVER be a reason to enjoy a console. Consoles exist for one reason- a basis to play and enjoy multiple games. Games are not made for just one game. This isn't like the old Tiger hand-held electronic games of the early-mid 1990s in which you have one system that's good for only one game. Getting a game console means you like that console to where you feel like you can have a quality gaming experience that you're most comfortable with.

I'm sorry if anyone feels offended, but it's stupid just to get a console just to play one game. Can getting a certain game console be reason to get a game? Sure. Should it be the ONLY reason? Absolutely not. Do you buy a music CD for just one song? Do you accept a Myspace Music profile just for one song (granted they have at least three songs)? If you don't like the overall package, then it's just a waste of time spending your money and time on just one system for just one thing. Even with my Nintendo and Super Nintendo (which I've rarely played since finding out they still work), I have a bunch of games for both systems. I have at least four or five games for both systems. I didn't want a Nintendo just to play Super Mario Bros. and just that game. No. I may sound too harsh, but it's stupid to just like a console for just one game. Why not open yourself up to other games available for that console?

So I am/have/will vote for "No, I want a PS3 for other games as well" because getting a gaming system shouldn't be about just one game. You have to love other games that take advantage of a gaming system. Even I would want an XBOX or XBOX 360 just to play the Forza games and the PGR games. Who knows? Maybe I stoop myself to playing the respective HALO or Fable series. A gaming system is made for enjoying multiple games, not just one game. Even if that's the only good game a system has, at least you know you got a console because you're happy with all it has to offer with the ingenuity and creativity game developers have put into making a game for a certain console. One game doesn't make a console great. It takes MANY games and features for it to be great. So NEVER get a system to just play and enjoy one game. Why not enjoy that game and look for others you'll probably enjoy?

Sermon over. All of this is not to say that I'm not looking forward to GT5. I'm just sick of the notion of "if I could get this console for only one game..." I just think it's a disgrace to a game system and game developers to only get a system for just one game and one game only.
 
well, from my point of view u (noone in particular) have to be either a great racing-only/GT enthusiast or being extremly blind.
there are so many other great games, especialy 1st party ones that imo it woukld be a waste only to have a ps3 for gt.
ok not a complete waste, but a waste of potential.
 
For a man loving cars and not liking games so much, this is the way. Try to take that. :)
 
I bought the PS3 for GT5 and a bit for Prologue.

I also will buy two PS3' s for the office as a mediabox and to play GT5 on a full HD beamer :drool:
 
RedBaron:
no problem. im quite willing to take taht :)
i said, either that (loveing cars, racing, gt series) OR blindness.
 
Do you buy a music CD for just one song?

A better analogy: Do you buy a CD player to listen to just one CD?

:p
 
I was waiting for it, but after playing the Call Of Duty series and the PS3 slim being released. Im getting it for Modern Warfare 2
 
I'm so out of touch with what modern games are offered on the current-gen, not to mention I have a lot less time to play video games, that yes, I'm waiting until GT5's release. I'm glad I've waited this long since the new system and it's much more attractive price drop. Other than the big titles (GT, MGS, GTA, FF), I don't usually buy anything else either. Will have to get into LBP and the next Katamari will be purchased, so I won't be buying the system exclusively for GT, but as it is the game I play most often, I don't see a point in getting it until March (or April, or whenever the game does get released here).
 
I'll be buying a PS3 and GT5 on the same day. The only reason I have a PS2 in the house is for GT3 and 4.
 
I had a PS3 but sold it to get a 360 for Forza 2 and on Friday Forza 3! but I do intended to later get a PS3 for GT5.
 
I bought mine a couple months ago for GT5P and for GT5 only!
 
Man you guys that are waiting, have missed some really awesome games!
 
I had a PS, sold it one year ago.

I'll go with this: I will wait until Gran Turismo 5 is out and reviewed before I buy a PS3.
 
I was waiting till GT5 came out, and on the fence about buying a PS3 just for GT5P. I needed a "deal-breaker" decision. So a year ago I read about Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on the PS3. That sealed the deal. :) So I voted "got a PS3 in 2008" or whatever.
 
another option I would have added

Gran Turismo 5 and a Bluray player in one box? Hell yeah
 
One option missing from the poll. Already bought a PS3 just to play Prologue now, and THEN GT5 when it comes out.

The idea of racing GT online against live people was enough to get me to open the checkbook. PS3, 26" monitor, 2 DFGT wheels.
 
Its pretty much the only reason I want the PS3 besides the blu ray player.
 
The second the our new flat screen HDTV enters the door of our house, i will be proudly be marching in with a PS3 and a GT5 prologue and if late enough GT5
 
Back