Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 129,745 comments
IMO, sim-racing does offer benefits to both experienced real-world drivers, as well as new or inexperienced drivers.

The most important aspect of this is being able to compensate for the differences between sim-racing and real-world racing. That's why there is a learning curve for transitioning from one to the other. A lot of the same principles apply, but you have to adjust to the input and feedback of each. Sim-racing lacks realistic sense of speed, no real G-forces or "seat-feel" (even in motion sims), and the audio often isn't good enough to know what the car and tires are doing.

When you go from sim-racing to real-world, suddenly there's a feeling of mass and momentum, that can be overwhelming for the less experienced, mechanical aspects of the car, and input from the car as it pitches and rolls, dips and lifts, all the input you're now getting through the seat, and the forces on your body. You can also hear what the tires are doing. During a shakedown, I often push the tires until they're making a chattering or "stuttering" sound, which changes as the tires heat up and wear. Along with all the other feedback, this tells me a lot about what the car can do. I CAN'T STAND iRacing because its' physics engine stops at edge of grip, and there's nothing realistic about what happens after that. An experienced driver knows how to push a car to and beyond edge of grip in a controllable manner, and iRacing doesn't have the physics to support that.

Back to the subject of compensating, I have a couple of friends that need or needed a few hours to adjust. I left one friend at my house for a couple of hours in my simulator. In that time, he went from being completely frustrated when I left to "this is INCREDIBLE" when I returned. Our team captain (that owns and maintains the car) drives during endurance races as well. He needs quite a bit of improvement, but he does okay. However, the couple of time he's sat in my simulator, only for about five minutes each time, I have to tell him "This isn't Mario Kart!" He over-exaggerates, oversteers, and enters turns too fast. If I could just get him away from family and job duties for a couple of hours, I know he'd eventually "get it," and begin to benefit from what sim-racing can offer him.

He also bought a used Mini Cooper S just for track days--right before the Pandemic, so he hasn't been able to use it yet. He came by, threw me the keys, and told me to take him for a spin. I knew right where to take it to see what it could do--a parkway that has tight-radius cloverleafs, and a lot of curves and elevation changes that dip below underpasses. As long as you keep the revs up, it's a fun and responsive little car. Every time we took a tight curve, made quick corrections, or I made lightning-quick shifts, I could tell he was surprised with what someone could do with the car. I believe I'm a better driver because of sim-racing, BUT I must never forget the differences between the two. If I do, it could result in stupid mistakes, or having a wreck.

I love sim-racing, and appreciate it because it's easy to access, and you can "experiment" and try different things that can be applied in real life. Many of those things you wouldn't do on a real track day, as it would probably anger other drivers, get you black flagged, or result in a bad situation.

Last edited:
Just to add my CND 2 cents on the subject of realism in SIM racing/race games. like most here, I am a big fan of simulators, once you equipped yourself with a decent wheel, a nice rig, preferably with tactile, or even better tactile and motion, add VR to the Mix and you will be a lot closer to feeling like you are actually driving then with a controller seated on a couch looking at a TV screen.
Closer, yes, but still miles away. Still nothing like the real thing, not even for a second. in both case your mind will have to do a lot of work to make you believe.
Still I will not trade place with the dude with the controller on the coach, no way. I enjoy my SIMS and SIM rig daily, without being delusional, just for the pure fun of what it is. When I virtually visit my real home track in VR, I am partially there, and that is good enough for me. I can do that as often as I like, and I like it a lot, IRL? not so much.
Virtual racing/driving is a substitute, not a replacement, does not have to be exactly like, just as close as it can be within the constrains of 2021 budget and technology.
Too many people try way to hard, are way to serious and are possibly missing why we do it. We do it for fun.
So, no, it is not just like the real thing, not ever! But i don't care, my rig, SIMS and imagination take me there and it feels wonderful.

Last edited:
DiRT3 - Smelter v1.0

View attachment 1062316View attachment 1062317

features:
  • 6 start/grid
  • CSP rainFX, grassFX, lightsFX, VAO
  • multi-surface
  • easter-egg

credits:
@codemasters - 3dmodel
@RMi_wood - conversion, surfaces, misc
@shi - pit/grid, AI, optimization, rain, shaders, VAO, misc
@racealot - cams, lighting

:: DOWNLOAD ::

tested and approved
thanks RMI_wood, shi and racealot !!!!

smeler1.JPG

smeler2.JPG

smeler3.JPG

Are we talking completed or new update? You are such a tease...

That is looking very promising 👍
Soon™️ ? 😉
Street circuits are an insane amount of work with all the buildings involved...3R will have approx. 40-50 modeled when complete. First priority is quality, the aim is to pay homage to Gilles Benoit and his rendition for rF - by making this a highly detailed, highly accurate track mod.

no one said there is no relevance at all, just that they are ALL far from the real thing, (imminent fear of death and actual g-force being the obvious things that can never be simulated) so arguing semantics about which one was "better" is is pointless. Its really which one you like the best from the avialable games. and they are just games. Once you get to those 2-3 million dollar sims then I start seeing real world relevance (even the two aforementioned obvious points aside) I have done two track days at eastern creek now for example, and NONE of the V8's in AC, RF2 or AMS feel even remotely anything like driving the actual car.. although in the sim the tracks and car graphics do have some passing familiarity, and i kind of knew the track before I arrived. so in that sense it did help.
OK regards the V8's explain the differences then? Would be helpful for a start.
I'd advise watching the gamer muscle YT i posted, he doesn't drive a car in real life has no license yet found it all pretty easy.
Said he is more fearful riding downhill on his mountain bike.

Why do they think they let anyone out in V8's in the first place?
The basics of driving is actually very intuitive and not hard at all. My Gran can drive and she is 82 and can't make her own dinner.

www.facebook(dot)com/groups/778198552329206/permalink/1797020677113650/

(you need to be a member of Assetto Corsa Tuned Mods & 4k Photos)

Jack Napier and LTLGamer1 are one and the same. I'm neither of them. I just wanted to share the car with all of you.
I think you are lying! A member of this FB group, Jack Napier, did not make such a post. I have not found this, and your link leads nowhere. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies.

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.02.53.94.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.02.53.94.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.03.41.11_LI.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.03.41.11_LI.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.05.03.12_LI.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.06.25 - 16.05.03.12_LI.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 35
OK regards the V8's explain the differences then? Would be helpful for a start.
I'd advise watching the gamer muscle YT i posted, he doesn't drive a car in real life has no license yet found it all pretty easy.
Said he is more fearful riding downhill on his mountain bike.

Why do they think they let anyone out in V8's in the first place?
The basics of driving is actually very intuitive and not hard at all. My Gran can drive and she is 82 and can't make her own dinner.
I think it would be easier to let GM explain it himself, after his own experience in a race car.

BKのフェラーリ 488 GT3 ACC 20は、ダンパーがなくスプリングのみのサスセッティングアイテムですので、良いサスとは言えません。みんなそうなの?ダンパーをセットしたい

Last edited:
Street circuits are an insane amount of work with all the buildings involved...3R will have approx. 40-50 modeled when complete. First priority is quality, the aim is to pay homage to Gilles Benoit and his rendition for rF - by making this a highly detailed, highly accurate track mod.
Last beta looked awesome. No pressure... always prefer quality over quantity and it gives me lots of time to figure out the Vancouver Lidar Data. lol

Yeah, it always cracks me up when people claim that a sim car (or, even better - their own physics mod for that car) feels just like the real car.
No.
No it doesn't.
And it never will.
Yes, but some games (er, sims) are better at tricking you into believing the hype than others.

Oddly enough, I've known people that have only driven simulators (never had a real-life driving lesson) and are then able to keep a real car on track. So go figure...
Better: we had a Managing Editor at Car and Driver who had never driven a car. This, I muttered, won't do. So we sent her through the Carroll Shelby race-driving school. She was an A+ student, but never drove a race car again. Upon graduation, though, she was a world-class street driver. Probable explanation: no bad habits to unlearn. Try this with your kids....

IMO, sim-racing does offer benefits to both experienced real-world drivers, as well as new or inexperienced drivers.

The most important aspect of this is being able to compensate for the differences between sim-racing and real-world racing. That's why there is a learning curve for transitioning from one to the other. A lot of the same principles apply, but you have to adjust to the input and feedback of each. Sim-racing lacks realistic sense of speed, no real G-forces or "seat-feel" (even in motion sims), and the audio often isn't good enough to know what the car and tires are doing.

When you go from sim-racing to real-world, suddenly there's a feeling of mass and momentum, that can be overwhelming for the less experienced, mechanical aspects of the car, and input from the car as it pitches and rolls, dips and lifts, all the input you're now getting through the seat, and the forces on your body. You can also hear what the tires are doing. During a shakedown, I often push the tires until they're making a chattering or "stuttering" sound, which changes as the tires heat up and wear. Along with all the other feedback, this tells me a lot about what the car can do. I CAN'T STAND iRacing because its' physics engine stops at edge of grip, and there's nothing realistic about what happens after that. An experienced driver knows how to push a car to and beyond edge of grip in a controllable manner, and iRacing doesn't have the physics to support that.

Back to the subject of compensating, I have a couple of friends that need or needed a few hours to adjust. I left one friend at my house for a couple of hours in my simulator. In that time, he went from being completely frustrated when I left to "this is INCREDIBLE" when I returned. Our team captain (that owns and maintains the car) drives during endurance races as well. He needs quite a bit of improvement, but he does okay. However, the couple of time he's sat in my simulator, only for about five minutes each time, I have to tell him "This isn't Mario Kart!" He over-exaggerates, oversteers, and enters turns too fast. If I could just get him away from family and job duties for a couple of hours, I know he'd eventually "get it," and begin to benefit from what sim-racing can offer him.

My ex-friend (long story) Michael, who's raced cars, bikes and sims, says the biggest difference in sims: "Tiny hand movements" (and, no, he has normal-sized hands). GT cars are the furthest off; F1 cars the closest...look at Lewis' hand movements.

Yes, but some games (er, sims) are better at tricking you into believing the hype than others.
Grand Prix Legends and Assetto Corsa are the ones that have done it for me.

Psychology is a funny thing (I am a psychologist). I believe there are very good reasons to think (counter-intuitively) that those people who are more familiar with real-life track driving will actually have a more convincing experience in a sim than those with none or a very little. Those with one or two track driving experiences will be very aware of the differences in physical sensation (g-forces, sound, vision etc.) but as we all know once an experience is familiar we lose that immediate awareness (remember the first time you drove on the motorway - 70mph seemed like the speed of light). Moreover someone who knows experientially what to expect will often create those expectations convincingly in their mind, and the subjective gap lessens.

By the way it's pretty much ALL about subjective experience which is why those who insist only mods with physics created in the "correct" way are "good mods" are so misguided and naive. Of course lots of things get modelled that are important: FWD vs AWD vs RWD, different suspension arrangements and many other things, and certain things need to resemble real life such as acceleration in each gear, braking power, top speed and roadholding, but the idea that there is some clear mapping between a convincing subjective experience and objective measurements and specifications is mistaken.

Last edited:
I know this is not a thread for AMS2 but has anyone tried it?

I currently run a CSL elite with the 2 pedal set. AC and ACC work fine. I just purchased AMS2 and it detects my wheel right away. I can configure the pedals and buttons but it will not let me configure the steering. It does not register in calibration. I have tried the fanatec setting, the custom setting, and legacy.

Has anyone else had issues getting the steering to work in AMS2 and what did you do to fix it? I have never requested a refund on steam but I seem to be headed toward that today.

Thermalito v1.11

bgr01.jpg
bgr02.jpg
bgr00.jpg
bgr01.jpg

"Circuit Thermalito is a fictional race track developed from a real life location in Thermalito, California.
Based around a hydroelectric dam, the 5.229km main course races around the water’s edge and through two tunnels
inside the dam itself with a challenging selection of corners, plenty of overtaking opportunities and a wide
variety of elevation changes. Also for lower category cars and events, there are an extra two configurations;

the West configuration of the circuit which consists of the slower, more technical sections and
the East configuration which makes use of the faster, sweeping sections and also features a brand new start and pit area.

The paddock and main grid can support immediate access to the podium and VIP conference centre outside of T1.
Facilities also include a complete lighting system for night/endurance racing and main/backup tv cameras.
"
- Woffin - "DDF Racer"

features:
  • 30 pit/grid (20 for East layout)
  • 3 challenging layouts
  • CSP VAO, grassFX, lightsFX, rainFX, waterFX, alltheFX

credits:
@Woffin - original model and permissions for conversion

@RMi_wood - conversion
@shi - physical mesh, layouts, pits/grid, VAO, cam/AI
@racealot - extended lighting, race cameras, AI (big thanks and great AI tune!)
@TheRealCeeBee - Jumbotron configuration
@rt_team - blimp replacement

:: DOWNLOAD ::
:: mirror ::

Last edited:
REDBULL RING, BWT Grosser Preis Der Steiermark 2021
A QUICK DIRTY SKIN FOR THE KUNOS TRACK
UNFORTUNATELY NOT 100% & SUFFERS FROM REPEATS & MIRRORING.
NOTE: If the mirroring it too much for you and breaks immersion then just remove the file 'barriers.dds' from the skin folder to restore the original blue/white. (JUST DONE THIS FOR YOU, PIRELLI BARRIERS IN SUB FOLDER NOW)
TWEAKED A FEW MORE TEXTURES SINCE YESTERDAY

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_26-6-121-9-18-35.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-19-41.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-19-58.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-20-15.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_26-6-121-9-21-21.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-20-49.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-21-7.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-21-23.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_26-6-121-9-22-8.jpg

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_26-6-121-9-22-29.jpg

ANOTHER VERSION OF THE TRACK (non KUNOS) IS ON THE JOBS LIST.

Attachments

• Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-14-21-33.jpg
    Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-14-21-33.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-20-30.jpg
    Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-20-30.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-21-51.jpg
    Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-21-51.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-22-10.jpg
    Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2021_ks_red_bull_ring_25-6-121-15-22-10.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
no doubt, the bit that gets me though is they practice in 3M USD sims and walk away saying its "useful for learning the track brake points".. we wont even go into all those deleted iRacing videos last year featuring race drivers laughing at the physics..(although, that IS iRobbing we are talking about, hardly a fair comparison to even old games like sega rally) for us plebs on our 1-10k rigs driving $50 games.. I think the distance is a bit further.. but.. if you smoke enough of the funny stuff and drive them it gets MUCH better ;)
Its generally the old farts that dismiss simulators. The younger generation that is trained on simulators are much more consistent in racing and can get up to speed far faster than the old farts. We have been doing racing driver training using simulators for close to a decade now. and if the setup is correct, even a G29 rig setup is enough for training.

Guys, any recommendations for vr headset for ac, got rift but have been gathering dust at least 2 years, didn't like pixelracing after first impression faded ,might give another shot but not sure what headset is best for the job.

I know this is not a thread for AMS2 but has anyone tried it?

I currently run a CSL elite with the 2 pedal set. AC and ACC work fine. I just purchased AMS2 and it detects my wheel right away. I can configure the pedals and buttons but it will not let me configure the steering. It does not register in calibration. I have tried the fanatec setting, the custom setting, and legacy.

Has anyone else had issues getting the steering to work in AMS2 and what did you do to fix it? I have never requested a refund on steam but I seem to be headed toward that today.
It has been a real PITA to get my (Simucube DD) working and calibrated for, AMS2. In the end I managed but I can't remember all things I tried to get there...

On the subject of FFB: I just gave R3E another try with the new FFB, changed nothing at all to my settings and it now feels miles better. Good job from these guys. 👍

It has been a real PITA to get my (Simucube DD) working and calibrated for, AMS2. In the end I managed but I can't remember all things I tried to get there...

On the subject of FFB: I just gave R3E another try with the new FFB, changed nothing at all to my settings and it now feels miles better. Good job from these guys. 👍
I am closing in on my 2 hour refund window and have not driven my first lap. Might just get a refund and buy some race room content.

Guys, any recommendations for vr headset for ac, got rift but have been gathering dust at least 2 years, didn't like pixelracing after first impression faded ,might give another shot but not sure what headset is best for the job.
Good info and discussion at this thread.

Does anyone know a good app that does the same thing as Kunos' "Gears" but better? Lately I've been puzzling myself about what is the best option for controlling my gears and measuring my RPM. I would like to rely solely on the physical tachometers of cars but sometimes they are hard to read, obscured or downright absent.

91cb8e13d57b378f1c74ff5723a0ec79.png

I've tried just a mere gear indicator, shift lights, some tachometers, but I can't find anything that offers a good measurement of everything I want. I've used Sidekick for a while but it's not very configurable and in some cars it triggers the shift lights at the wrong moment.

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good app that does the same thing as Kunos' "Gears" but better? Lately I've been puzzling myself about what is the best option for controlling my gears and measuring my RPM. I would like to rely solely on the physical tachometers of cars but sometimes they are hard to read, obscured or downright absent.

91cb8e13d57b378f1c74ff5723a0ec79.png

I've tried just a mere gear indicator, shift lights, some tachometers, but I can't find anything that offers a good measurement of everything I want. I've used Sidekick for a while but it's not very configurable and in some cars it triggers the shift lights at the wrong moment.
You might try RaceEssentials or Sidekick. I think both can be customized.

I use RaceEssentials.
Requires you to register on AC forum to access and download it.

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back