Creepiest Song?Music 

Do you suppose it's more or less creepy than the original by Vicki Lawrence?
Honestly, I don't think I have listened to it yet, I have only heard Reba McEntire's version. I'll have to check that out sometime.
Seems like "C:censored: M:censored: M:censored:" by Carly Rae Jepsen is the creepiest song in all of existence, bar none. No song is far more evil, demonic or equal, and anything else mentioned here is nothing compared to that.

I don't think I'll post its music video as it is too gruesome for anyone to handle here, which may violate the AUP.
You're joking right?

Honestly, I don't think I have listened to it yet, I have only heard Reba McEntire's version. I'll have to check that out sometime.
Fair enough; the opposite is true for me, but I can't get into Reba enough to investigate it myself.

If I'm honest, I'm not quite sure I'd consider it (the original, anyway) particularly creepy, as the music is pretty chipper given the tale being told, and the tale itself is pretty black and white, with little room for an ominous "unknown." Of course this is by no means a refutal of your assertion--merely my own position.

Anyway, here's more to support an earlier assertion of mine:

Lyrics
Have mercy on me, sir,
Allow me to impose on you;
I have no place to stay and my bones are cold right through
I will tell you a story of a man and his family,
And I swear that it is true

Ten years ago I met a girl named Joy:
She was a sweet and happy thing;
Her eyes were bright blue jewels
And we were married in the spring
I had no idea what happiness a little love could bring,
Or what life had in store...
But all things move toward their end,
All things move toward their end —
On that you can be sure

Hit it! Mmm...

Then one morning I woke to find her weeping and for many days to follow
She grew so sad and lonely;
Became Joy in name only
Within her breast there launched an unnamed sorrow and a dark and grim force set sail
"Farewell happy fields,
Where joy forever dwells,
Hail, horrors, hail!"

Was it an act of contrition, or some awful premonition?
As if she saw into the heart of her final blood-soaked night;
Those lunatic eyes,
That hungry kitchen knife
Ah, I see, sir, that I have your attention!
Well, could it be?
How often have I asked that question?
Well, then in quick succession we had babies, one, two, three

We called them Hilda, Hattie and Holly;
They were their mother's children:
Their eyes were bright blue jewels and they were quiet as a mouse,
There was no laughter in the house,
No, not from Hilda, Hattie or Holly
"No wonder", people said, "poor mother Joy's so melancholy"
Well, one night, there came a visitor to our little home
I was visiting a sick friend;
I was a doctor then;
Joy and the girls were on their own

Yeah... Oh yeah...

Joy had been bound with electrical tape,
In her mouth a gag;
She'd been stabbed repeatedly and stuffed into a sleeping bag
In their very cots my girls were robbed of their lives
Method of murder much the same way as my wife's
Method of murder much the same way as my wife's
It was midnight when I arrived home
Said to the police on the telephone
"Someone's taken four innocent lives!"

They never caught the man;
He's still on the loose.
It seems he's done many, many more
Quotes John Milton on the walls in the victim's blood
The police are investigating at tremendous cost
In my house he wrote, "his red right hand"
That, I'm told, is from Paradise Lost
The wind round here gets wicked cold
But my story is nearly told;
I fear the morning will bring quite a frost

So I've left my home
I drift from land to land
I am upon your step and you are a family man —
Outside, the vultures wheel,
The wolves howl,
The serpents hiss,
And to extend this small favor, friend, would be the sum of earthly bliss
Do you reckon me a friend?
The sun to me is dark and silent as the moon —
Do you, sir, have a room?
Are you beckoning me in?

Hit it!
[chorus]
From his (with The Bad Seeds) 1996 studio release, Murder Ballads, it should be no surprise the album is rife with this sort of fare. Anyone compelled to investigate further should be warned that this one came with that little "Parental Advisory" sticker on its face when it was released.

If I'm honest, I'm not quite sure I'd consider it (the original, anyway) particularly creepy, as the music is pretty chipper given the tale being told,
I just listened to the one you linked and I agree with you on this, it's kind of unfitting for the dark story the song tells, I could argue the same for the video as well. While the lyrics I think are mostly the same, it probably wouldn't unsettle me to hear it at night like Reba McEntire's does sometimes, but then again I have only listened to it once.
Fair enough; the opposite is true for me, but I can't get into Reba enough to investigate it myself.
I recommend it, it's quite different from the original.
and the tale itself is pretty black and white, with little room for an ominous "unknown."
Not sure where the "unknown" part is coming from, but it's definitely a dark story. From the very beginning, it's easy to see something bad is about to happen in this song, even if you never heard it before. (referring to Reba's version)
Of course this is by no means a refutal of your assertion--merely my own position.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me anyways.

Not sure where the "unknown" part is coming from, but it's definitely a dark story. From the very beginning, it's easy to see something bad is about to happen in this song, even if you never heard it before.
That's precisely what I mean; we've got a pretty good idea where things are headed, even if we don't know what actually happens until later. It's the lack of ambiguity (or "unknown") that I believe strips the unease from the listener (me, anyway), while not knowing allows the imagination to run rampant.

"Hey Joe" is another good example of this direct storytelling about an inherently sinister act.

If I'm honest, I'm not quite sure I'd consider it (the original, anyway) particularly creepy, as the music is pretty chipper given the tale being told, and the tale itself is pretty black and white, with little room for an ominous "unknown." Of course this is by no means a refutal of your assertion--merely my own position.

Anyway, here's more to support an earlier assertion of mine:

From his (with The Bad Seeds) 1996 studio release, Murder Ballads, it should be no surprise the album is rife with this sort of fare. Anyone compelled to investigate further should be warned that this one came with that little "Parental Advisory" sticker on its face when it was released.

A great album - O'Malley's Bar is my favourite, but Song of Joy is brilliant.

A great album - O'Malley's Bar is my favourite, but Song of Joy is brilliant.
Absolutely. Let Love In is my personal favorite from them, but Murder Ballads is way up there. I'm a big PJ Harvey fan, so "Henry Lee" is a treat, but "The Curse Of Millhaven" is a special kind of demented (just not creepy, per se).

That's precisely what I mean; we've got a pretty good idea where things are headed, even if we don't know what actually happens until later. It's the lack of ambiguity (or "unknown") that I believe strips the unease from the listener (me, anyway), while not knowing allows the imagination to run rampant.
I can understand that. Though I could argue sometimes it's best when you don't know because sometimes when you do know, that just makes it worse when you hear it come on. (The song "Thunder Rolls" comes to mind for me)

I got to thinking last night, but I think it's just the way it sounds and how the lyrics are being said that gets to me at times, rather than what is being said. Much like that song "Do It" I mentioned earlier.

I have two that I would like to share, but they're less creepy and more borderline "WTF this is disturbing" material.

Both are NSFW, so hiding them behind spoilers:

Some trigger warnings for the following:
Implied sexual abuse, explicit sexual abuse
Pedophilia (Daddy - Korn)
violence
blood

"Runaway" by Kanye West (Ft. Pusha T).
I doubt many will agree with me on this, but I always found this song to be somewhat creepy. First and foremost, the instrumental track alone I think is kind of creepy to boot and something about Pusha T's voice just gets me in a way I can't describe. The fact he says "run away as fast you can" in the chorus really doesn't help matters and when his own verse comes on, it kind of gives me the illusion he's coming after the listener. For a long time, I always pictured this song as one that you would likely hear under a single streetlight in a very dark environment with little to no source of light besides the streetlight itself and it's always given me spooky vibes.

Now I must admit, I was going through some rather dark times in my life when I used to listen to it, and haven't heard it in a long time because of this, but even before then, I still got similar vibes. Do I think it's bad? Nah, if anything it's one of the better Kanye tracks I know, but it's always been a little creepy to me anyways.

Probably "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima."

Fun fact: I've stood at the exact spot where Little Boy was detonated over the city. It's actually a peaceful river crossing.

Back