"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Thanks!
The thing is, I'm better at qualification than in race. I can spend an hour to get a good qualifying lap, but I lack in race pace and race intelligence, maybe I'm just too defensive. If I start near the front I'll stay there, if I start near the back I'll stay there unless people take themselves or each other out. I also don't play that often, sometimes a month without touching the PS4, and then each day for 2 weeks. I have never looked into the FIA races, I don't even know what they're about to be honest. Are they better than the daily races?

I can relate. In many races I feel my progression from back to mid, or from mid to front relies more on mistakes of others than slow and steady gains in time by me. One thing I have noticed though is that on tracks I don't like much I can hang with people on 7 or 8 of 10 turns/spots but lose time on a couple of important ones. On tracks I do well on I am actually just as fast or faster than the others on 2 or 3 turns, equal or slightly behind in half of them and behind in 2 or 3. I don't post this as a revelation, as I am sure this is typical.

But, what I am not good at doing is breaking down why I can handle certain sections very well and above my ranking, and why I can't take that info and apply it to my weaker sections. For me I think it is tempo and on good spots I have accepted that smooth and steady is faster because results have reinforced it, and in bad spots I am still trying to gain speed by forcing things as opposed to sooner braking, better lines and all round better inputs.

Are you sure? The context here was taking someone out on the finish line to gain a position on him. I can see other situations were taking revenge or protecting your friends is a good thing, but I would not take a position from someone at the finish line by doing exactly the same thing I'm accusing them of. Wouldn't feel right and would not be happy with the result.
No, that I wouldn't do. No way.

I gave the WRX a good 45 minutes yesterday but couldn’t get it to not keep spinning around on me upon entrance of the tight corners. Any tips?
I haven't even thought of that as a problem. I am at BB+1 if that helps.
I take T1 by coming in all the way to the left, breaking at the beginning of curbe, then crossing over in second gear. T2 I come from far right and late apex it in third so I can get on throttle asap

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice to truck around but I’m thinking Supra ‘20.

As for the exacting revenge thing, I’m not sure if the time of the act is relevant given the actual result of the act will remain the same? Are not double standards being applied here?

Would be nice to truck around but I’m thinking Supra ‘20.

As for the exacting revenge thing, I’m not sure if the time of the act is relevant given the actual result of the act will remain the same? Are not double standards being applied here?
I am sure it will be the two Porsches

I can relate. In many races I feel my progression from back to mid, or from mid to front relies more on mistakes of others than slow and steady gains in time by me. One thing I have noticed though is that on tracks I don't like much I can hang with people on 7 or 8 of 10 turns/spots but lose time on a couple of important ones. On tracks I do well on I am actually just as fast or faster than the others on 2 or 3 turns, equal or slightly behind in half of them and behind in 2 or 3. I don't post this as a revelation, as I am sure this is typical.

But, what I am not good at doing is breaking down why I can handle certain sections very well and above my ranking, and why I can't take that info and apply it to my weaker sections. For me I think it is tempo and on good spots I have accepted that smooth and steady is faster because results have reinforced it, and in bad spots I am still trying to gain speed by forcing things as opposed to sooner braking, better lines and all round better inputs.

I love this post and the post it's quoting. It sums up how I'm experiencing the steep learning curve that is racing. For example today I found 0,4 seconds in T12 Nurburg, more or less by accident when I was close enough to Medhi's ghost to notice just how wide he takes it and finaly string it together with his shifting down to 2nd gear that "clicked". The "ah ha erlebnis" kicked in and presto, time gained.

I'm trying to follow Kireth's advice about "brut force learning" vs knowledge and understanding.

But it's so difficult. The world of racing and technique is so far from my comfort zone, I'm really struggling most of the time.

Next week's N400 A race at Fuji will most likely be with the Tundra and Raptor, right? :D

Nah, Challenger, it'll float through the last sector...

(It will be the Porsches)

Race after race after race, garbage people knocking me off. I may have to blacklist Fridays, too. I wonder if today was a school half day.

Last edited:
But it's so difficult. The world of racing and technique is so far from my comfort zone, I'm really struggling most of the time.

When I got this game, after not gaming since Ridge Racer I researched what book to learn about racing technique…
15CCCE5D-1BE5-4EEB-A601-05D915FD2EAF.jpeg

I went from no experience new to race games with a t80 to A plus by just following the invaluable advice from this book.
GTS with wheel rewards fundamentally sound technique. What Bentley says is invaluable.

Last edited:
When I got this game, after not gaming since Ridge Racer I researched what book to learn about racing technique…
View attachment 1016797

I went from no experience new to race games with a t80 to A plus by just following the invaluable advice from this book.
GTS with wheel rewards fundamentally sound technique. What Bentley says is invaluable.

I’ve been thumbing through this book for a while. Which parts did you find most helpful?

I’ve been thumbing through this book for a while. Which parts did you find most helpful?

Understanding tires and car balance and how those affect what we might term “limit.”
Hands down.
Understanding why 2 drivers can both operate a racecar at the tires limit but have two very different laptimes/speeds…
Understanding how to prioritize track areas, understanding etiquette, understanding why trail braking is important….
I wholeheartedly reccomend this book.
Let’s face it as men we all know in our own minds we are excellent drivers and maybe we are, I mean driving a car is simple right?
But really there’s an awful lot to learn when getting into racing and race driving and you never stop learning.
There’s so much more, understanding a set turn vs a rotation turn, there’s a large mental section too. As a former athlete I kinda had that stuff in head from previous sports experience….
I didn’t use much on setup I don’t setup cars often…
For me hands down understanding how a tire is loaded and the vehicle balance and how that stuff interrelated to turn priorities…OH
the order of priority to work on when working on your times….
It’s a great book.
Page 331 rotation vs set turns comes into play a lot for me. I treat hairpins as rotation turns in racecars and set turns more in touring cars…

Edit @Seth_Logan I’ve only read the one I linked but I’d reccomend Bentley anytime.
I think he does podcasts too….I prefer the book…
To me once you can understand what you’re trying to do getting fast is much easier…
In fact Imo being faster in GTS means it’s easier than being off pace because the inputs needed are much less…

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

Been meaning to tell you... love the GTP handle... "Yard Sale" is one of my favorite racing terms.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, its funny when people actually get it. I learned about the term through motorcycle racing. If you look closely at my avatar, its a screen shot of the makings of a good one :cheers:

Soooo....I've made it into the fast B lobbies on the Alt, my mediocre qually time on C is only good for a P5-8 starting position now. Must say, the quality of racing is a little worse in Europe. Lots of dive bombs and people blatantly blocking you when they've made a mistake. With Group 2 at Dragon's next week (wish it was Suzuka or something else...but I'm actually pretty good at Dragons to what-evs), I'll have this acct up to an A by next week. I'll be interested to see the difference at the higher end of the spectrum in Europe.

Gonna start practicing for FIA tomorrow. Signed with Renault cause the slophy is really good at Laguna. Might make my European acct my main FIA acct because those start times mesh better with my schedule in the western United States

Last edited:
I would appreciate people's views on the incidents in this video. I'm in the red RSR.

After watching both videos, it's clear that his Merc was all kinds of loose. Looks like he tried to keep the throttle on while holding the drift. Drift King he isn't & he slid into the inside line & you were there. Could have been another kid who wanted to finish higher.

Group 2 at DTS.

Don't tempt me.

Next week's N400 A race at Fuji will most likely be with the Tundra and Raptor, right? :D

Not ever. We had to pinch ourselves when we got the rally race A that one time just to make sure we weren't dreaming.

Are you sure? The context here was taking someone out on the finish line to gain a position on him. I can see other situations were taking revenge or protecting your friends is a good thing, but I would not take a position from someone at the finish line by doing exactly the same thing I'm accusing them of. Wouldn't feel right and would not be happy with the result.

I think you may have misread the intent of the post. To clarify, let's just go back to the realm of revenge in general. If someone is driving so aggressively that they push & bump other cars off track, they don't respect the craft of racing & deserve getting the same as what they give. But we have a penalty system that doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground. So, violators don't get penalized for driving like a jerk while people who try to teach the violator a lesson in what it feels like to be pushed off get stiff penalties.

Also re the book it’s invaluable to know how to correct it and what’s happening if you’re having trouble with an in game car.
Mostly knowing exactly what is happening helps an awful lot….

Understanding tires and car balance and how those affect what we might term “limit.”
Hands down.
Understanding why 2 drivers can both operate a racecar at the tires limit but have two very different laptimes/speeds…
Understanding how to prioritize track areas, understanding etiquette, understanding why trail braking is important….
I wholeheartedly reccomend this book.
Let’s face it as men we all know in our own minds we are excellent drivers and maybe we are, I mean driving a car is simple right?
But really there’s an awful lot to learn when getting into racing and race driving and you never stop learning.
There’s so much more, understanding a set turn vs a rotation turn, there’s a large mental section too. As a former athlete I kinda had that stuff in head from previous sports experience….
I didn’t use much on setup I don’t setup cars often…
For me hands down understanding how a tire is loaded and the vehicle balance and how that stuff interrelated to turn priorities…OH
the order of priority to work on when working on your times….
It’s a great book.
Page 331 rotation vs set turns comes into play a lot for me. I treat hairpins as rotation turns in racecars and set turns more in touring cars…

Edit @Seth_Logan I’ve only read the one I linked but I’d reccomend Bentley anytime.
I think he does podcasts too….I prefer the book…
To me once you can understand what you’re trying to do getting fast is much easier…
In fact Imo being faster in GTS means it’s easier than being off pace because the inputs needed are much less…

I just came across this, a blog post from Ross Bentley on rotation turns and set turns. I guess there's plenty more on that site.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/speed-secrets-to-trail-brake-or-not-to-trail-brake/

I just came across this, a blog post from Ross Bentley on rotation turns and set turns. I guess there's plenty more on that site.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/speed-secrets-to-trail-brake-or-not-to-trail-brake/

That’s verbatim from the pages I listed. :)

Anyways threadjack sorry, but it makes me feel better to know at least what I’m trying to do.

Last night in the RCZ my switch from FR to MR…
I don’t have the skills to do that switch race to race like that.
Once tire wear kicked in on RCZ I was losing the rear on entry, and things went really bad.
The car behavior confused me in the moment.

My point is that we all have limitations on skill if you think how much in game time we have.
If I put in time I’m competitive but really what gives the enjoyment is simply making a little improvement from wherever you currently are.
For me, I don’t know how a person could do that without good information to use.

I enjoy sharing what’s helped me have fun in online racing, the main thing about it is having fun, and a strong fundamental basis of understanding from Bentley has made it for me that I’ve got a pretty good idea what I’m doing.
Doesn’t mean I have the skills some have…

Last edited:
After watching both videos, it's clear that his Merc was all kinds of loose. Looks like he tried to keep the throttle on while holding the drift. Drift King he isn't & he slid into the inside line & you were there. Could have been another kid who wanted to finish higher.

Don't tempt me.

Not ever. We had to pinch ourselves when we got the rally race A that one time just to make sure we weren't dreaming.

I think you may have misread the intent of the post. To clarify, let's just go back to the realm of revenge in general. If someone is driving so aggressively that they push & bump other cars off track, they don't respect the craft of racing & deserve getting the same as what they give. But we have a penalty system that doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground. So, violators don't get penalized for driving like a jerk while people who try to teach the violator a lesson in what it feels like to be pushed off get stiff penalties.
I did some vigilante justice today and it felt great. Managed a couple of podiums after so it must have had some positive effect on my mentality.

I love this post and the post it's quoting. It sums up how I'm experiencing the steep learning curve that is racing. For example today I found 0,4 seconds in T12 Nurburg, more or less by accident when I was close enough to Medhi's ghost to notice just how wide he takes it and finaly string it together with his shifting down to 2nd gear that "clicked". The "ah ha erlebnis" kicked in and presto, time gained.

I'm trying to follow Kireth's advice about "brut force learning" vs knowledge and understanding.

Do you have an interest in motorsports? I am a die-hard motorsport fan so the lines come reasonably naturally.

Daily Race C can just 🤬 off. 3 races and lost my damn A rating cause people damn bumping me off and running me off the road! And then call me dirty! Sweet Jesus Christ! Might as well stick to liveries instead of driving, seems to be my only skill on this game anymore

Last edited:
Do you have an interest in motorsports? I am a die-hard motorsport fan so the lines come reasonably naturally.

I think many of us who have watched motorsports for years have learned important terminology & seen how these terms should be properly applied. That makes the transfer of learning to practical application easier. For anyone just learning in the heat of the moment, it's a tough mountain to climb. But, I have had many "ah ha" moments while playing GTS. And you never forget those moments & the lesson you learned.

Daily Race C can just 🤬 off. 3 races and lost my damn A rating cause people damn bumping me off and running me off the road! And then call me dirty! Sweet Jesus Christ! Might as well stick to liveries instead of driving, seems to be my only skill on this game anymore

I felt this way months ago. Whether by others' actions or real life gaining my attention, I've stepped back a bit from the game. I've had the itch to get back in, but haven't. I've gone into another game in order to calm the feeling that I have to win or finish well in GTS. When I return, it will be with a daily race combo that I will enjoy. Ratings will climb & I can regain the sense that I can simply outdrive players at the same DR level as me & I'm a better sportsman than the Crash Bandicoots. :lol:

Hey all, my race result from a while back. I finished 2nd, feel free to comment:

Last edited:

I'm developing one at a huge pace. I have never done anything with racing, online or offline before. GT Sport was the game that came with the PS4 my son got for his birthday.

I fell in love with the graphics and was impressed with just how stunning all the cars looked. I even bought a Clio based on the one I drove in game.

For almost a year I was just bumper carting my way through the AI in career mode. But again it was my son who set up the next stage. He wanted a Plus so he could do FIFA.

Dad decided to do time trails on his controller. Using the left and right button for steering, not the joystick.

That worked for a while, until I joined a real race and somebody asked me about breake bias since my steering inputs were so "shocking".

I needed a wheel. Long story short, took me a while to actually buy one. But since last december I'm online racing. Soaking up as much as I can.

Best thing about it isn't even the racing but the things surrounding it.

I don't know how long this will last if it's something that sticks, but for now it has my full attention. Perhaps even Covid had something to do with it, given limitations on life at the moment.

I'm watching more and more real world races. But to be fair. The ones on tracks I know from the game grab the most. Because I can sort of relate to what they are doing and where they are on track and what's coming.

Racing is complex and technique is a big part of it. That's my biggest handicap. Most of the time I just can't follow what for example @Tidgney is trying to explain. And others as well.

Take for example HP vs Torque. What it is, what it does and what the difference is. I've studied numerous vid's on youtube and I kind of get the idea, but applying that knowledge when looking at the numbers in the game it's almost impossible for me to benefit from that.

Example: somebody here said the M3 is a winner in this race C because it accelerates fast. By now I know he's talking about Torque. I would not be able to go trough all the cars though and pick the one that has the best Torque. Let alone decide why Torque is more unportant at Nurburg than say Brands Hatch last week.

Makes sense?

Torque is twisting force basically. Horsepower is a calculated number that adds RPM into it.
Let’s say you have a jar of jam you are trying to open up to make toast.
The lid is on tightly. You twist it to begin to get it to unscrew. Torque.
Horsepower is kind of like taking that force used to twist open the jar lid and rotating it at a speed in rpm, sort of the simplest way to talk about it I can think of.

I raced a few more C races last night and even got a third in the top room in my Mustang. Sometimes I can find the lines on GP sometimes not.
This was my best Mustang stint of the week. I was leading, and that’s the wall and me about to crash at the end of the stint.

64E57868-2BB2-4160-B294-03D317689AEE.jpeg

Lol

You're over thinking it a bit.

Turn on the raving line and the cones. Follow the lines and use the cones markers for braking points. Turn on tc so you can concentrate on line and braking, once you have that figured out you can consider easing up in tc though some of us choose to retain it.

Now to next week, seaside group 2 is an excellent combo, last time we were there does anyone remember the tyre wear settings?

Back