Do you still have respect for Kazunori Yamauchi? (poll)

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 248 comments

Do you have any respect for Kazunori Yamauchi?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 164 76.3%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've only ever seen Kaz either in business suits or racing overalls, never in costumes.

Funny man ;)

Thats bad business practices.

Disrespect means that you put down the view of said man, but you still care regardless, typically reserved for people who got connection to said person. You, I, and all here arent exactly have any connection with Kaz himself. So the worst outcome would be complete apathy, especially with the continuous of this crap for years.

Completely disagree. For example, I've never met Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, but I still harbor a deep disrespect and resentment for both. Personally, I didn't vote on this topic, because I no longer care, but if I did, I'd definitely say that I've lost all respect for Kaz as a game developer.

It's hard to ignore what Kaz has done for racing games and he's to be respected greatly for that, but nowadays it seems he's completely lost touch with what a good GT game is meant to be. Plus some of the design decisions Kaz made in the last 2 games mean I've lost a lot of respect for him now.

I mean... His ideas are being held back by the limitations of consoles so.... It would be great if he ditched Sony and started developing for PC. I don't understand how it's 2016 and a "Next gen" console can't even run 1080p 60fps without screen tearing or overheating issues.
What ideas? PS4 is waaaaay more powerful than PS1 yet here we are with mostly the same old thing. What are his ideas and visions that 15 years of technical progress hasn't been enough for?

I mean... His ideas are being held back by the limitations of consoles so....

Nooooooooo. Not this again. :(

We heard that throughout the PS3 era. We were promised the PS4 was a "blank canvas". Now it's the same tune.

It would be great if he ditched Sony and started developing for PC. I don't understand how it's 2016 and a "Next gen" console can't even run 1080p 60fps without screen tearing or overheating issues.

It absolutely can hit those targets: FM5 and FM6 do it consistently on the slightly-less-powerful XB1. Of course, they were both hammered by a good chunk of the GT fanbase for not including dynamic time and weather... oh.

Heck, even GT6 could almost hit those targets on the PS3. There's no reason it couldn't quite easily on the PS4.

But, on the evidence we have, Polyphony has prioritized graphics over resolution and framerate (or at least, enough to make it impossible to add the dynamic features back in). Every game is a balancing act: on a console, there's a finite amount of resources. PCARS included dynamic weather and time, and huge fields of opponents, but the framerate can suffer. AC prioritizes player car physics at the expense of... well, almost everything else, really. Driveclub has stunning visuals, but it runs with smaller fields of cars at only 30fps.

The issue here it seems is that Polyphony keeps wanting to over-reach the in-built limits of systems. I imagine there's also some pressure to retain the crown of "best-looking racing game", either internally or from Sony. GT is historically a system seller, so I can't say I'm surprised.

50/50. One hand, I respect him for making GT apart of my childhood, however what he's doing now makes it hard.

and for the people saying "You only disrespect him because he is making games that you didn't want". That's massively simplified of the problem some people have him, constant lies, false promises, barely any communication to the fans. I can see why others 100% don't respect him now and I know my respect for him is just me clipping onto nostalgia.

What ideas? PS4 is waaaaay more powerful than PS1 yet here we are with mostly the same old thing. What are his ideas and visions that 15 years of technical progress hasn't been enough for?
Remember that interview where he talked about the free roam feature that was showcased in the GT5 background screen with the CR-Z in an all white city?

Of course I still have respect for him as he hasn't really done anything to lose it. Has he (as in PD) made a couple bad games? Yes. But it's sort of the same thing as older musicians that try putting out new music. It's usually less than stellar but it by no means detracts from their classic work that's great.

Remember that interview where he talked about the free roam feature that was showcased in the GT5 background screen with the CR-Z in an all white city?

It's certainly not the system holding him back considering there are quite a few games with open worlds.

and why would someone have no respect for him?

regardless of the numerous problems with the last two GT titles, you got to respect someone in this day and age who's willing to do a major game his own way, GT have this feeling that it's concieved by one mind, not a committee, wich is something not just racing games, but games in general are lacking.

since I joined GTplanet, I have this impression that some people think a game is some sort of checklist of features, that every game needs to have the exact same features as any other game, of course there's features that immensely improve a game, specially a racing game, but... you see, there are other racing games out there, some of them are much better simulators, there are other games with the same proposal, but we still expect something from GT, it grabs us, and it isn't just nostalgia, GT have something, and it's Kazunori Yamauchi's personality, some useless gimmicks that give GT its own "smell".

All the time I see people around here saying "I'm done with this game", then, some days, or hours later, there they are in another thread complaining... we can't all be masochists, of course most people around here have immense respect for him, it's just that sometimes, things get a bit ridiculous, and we could make a long list of the times things got ridiculous, specially in GT6, the first title we saw him compromising the game in favor of a broader audience.

All the time I see people around here saying "I'm done with this game", then, some days, or hours later, there they are in another thread complaining... we can't all be masochists, of course most people around here have immense respect for him, it's just that sometimes, things get a bit ridiculous, and we could make a long list of the times things got ridiculous, specially in GT6, the first title we saw him compromising the game in favor of a broader audience.
Including hundreds of PS2 era, low res, jaggy cars in GT5 wasn't comprimising the game in favour of a broader audience? Having the worst AI in all of sim racing in GT5 wasn't a comprimise in favour of a broader audience?

Do I respect him still?
It's hard to say the least, he made Gran Turismo apart of childhood that I remember the times failing the license tests a lot, but from current standards nowadays people set foot on, and games that are being complex with the programming and art development. A game that has taste has to have a delay at some point in time, it's what I think is happening at the moment. From all the research that we got some courses were never to be, maybe due to console limitations that would push the hardware and overheat the GPU and CPU cores to the max, which is what Polyphony always strives for, and I can see that still. Gran Turismo is very known for it's gorgeous seroundings and not to mention what people do with the Photos from Gran Turismo 4 (2004-2005) and Gran Turismo 5 (2010 - current). You can say now that people are questioning his beliefs that it took since GT2 to make a damage system similar to the ones from GT5P - GT6. The most memorable thing he has done in the past was getting Sony to feature all kinds of demos from the PS2 age called the PlayStation Magazine, it was a famous magazine for demos. You can only get them from site from EBay only, but it is worth it. From those demos it was a nice look at the development cycle of GT and I miss that era so much that we can barely research any of the new stuff to see. We have yet to see what resides in Gran Turismo HD and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, except from Nurburgring, Sarthe, and Tsukuba oddly enough does not have a map.

All I can say he seems to upset me sometimes, but sheds some light like a Christmas present, oh those days of GT5 waiting ever since Gran Turismo 5: Prologue since release of Gran Turismo 5. When no news shows up on GTP I get kind of suspicious about it, they barely contact the main audience from any stand point of value. The only Japanese company that does this well is Genki. They do a lot of developments on Twitter, like GT. But they do it in a much more information way than what Polyphony states they do. Genki revealed many of there own offices for the Shutoku Battle to be developed, and hopefully soon after the 2017. We all should see news on another thread you can find other than here. That is one of the few companies I can trust mow currently, if only Polyphony followed suit. That would be perfect.

I can't think of anything else Kaz has done to make me happy or others, but I cannot vote on this particullary, I'd say a 50/50. He is just charismatic that is all. I can't find a way to hate Kaz, he pretty much developed my childhood from the ground up and particularly got me into cars.

Even if GT5/6 were worse then 4 etc. They are still good games. There is nothing that makes me to lose respect for him. Man has talent and money, uses it for his passion (racing etc) instead of being regular flashy rich guy and I think it is awesome.

The only thing that is disappointing for me is over promising. I would like to sit with him and chat about some of the decisions he made (maybe there are perfectly logical explanations from business perspective etc)

Not agreeing with someone one certain aspects does not equal not having respect for someone. People seem to think the world is binary, you're either for or against someone. It's perfectly fine to agree with people on one subject and disagree on another. Has nothing to do with respect.

I respect what he did in the 90's, seeing a new direction for racing games to go in and taking the initiative and build it. He is a talented man with great ideas and is by all reports an astonishingly good public relations figure.

I have little respect for his inability to parlay that early success into the dominant force that Gran Turismo should have become, and less respect for his inability to recognise his own shortcomings and build a company appropriately for the skills the game required.

Gran Turismo has gone from an overnight success to an industry punchline. By Gran Turismo 3 they should have had so much money and research behind them that no other developer (bar possibly the MS funded Turn 10) should have ever had a chance of catching up.

My restecp for him grows. Impressed when I asked him to take a photo with him, he said lighting was bad and went to a better lit place. Also when I asked him to sign my t-shirt, he looked around for best place to sign it on. Truly a perfectionist. His GT creation is reason why this website got created, has given gamers a chance to live the dream and car designers an excuse to design their dream GT car.

In the biggest GTP meetup at his party this year, he was pulling off following dance moves. How can one not have restecp for him, someone who is keepin' it real? (Surely not because some people like cussing each other all day long? Do people on here stiil even know what r-e-p-e-c-t spells?) :sly:

E12Haow.gif

The last two days I felt nostalgic, plugged in the PS1 and tried GT1 again..mindblown.That intro still gets my blood pumping! I was 12 the first time I played it and playing it again, I fell in love with it all over again. It wasnt just the nostalgia but I was so impressed with the foward thinking of various concepts in the game.
Truly a game the devs making it wanted to play themselves!

Then I went to GT2. . . That intro. . . . . the car roster. At the time, it was information overload but clearly the most passionate car enthusist game the world had ever seen at the time.

I plugged in my PS2.. GT3,that intro "do do doodo do do doodoo" The memories I had, I remember my highschool self rushing home, grinding the endurance in Super Speedway in a Viper GTSR, jawbreaking graphics, I thought it was photo realism . . . until GT4. . .
GT4 gives me goosebumps even today,loved the car roster, tracks and the graphics. . . I couldnt believe it released on the same Ps2.

GT5, I love, while it may not have instilled the magic the other GTs have, it is revolutionary in its own the right and worthy of respect.

GT6 I adore, even more so than GT5, in fact I still play it nearly every day. Im not a fan of online, so I cant comment on that but as a game I buy random cars tweak its settings and set hotlap times etc, even after 3 years I love it.

All in all. . given the GTSport delay, I was going to come in here a few days ago and write that Im so disappointed, I cant respect Kaz anymore.. However, after my trip down memory lane. . . honestly, this man has nurtured my love of cars and brought so much joy to me over the years, I was reminded of just how much I should respect him.

I sure as hell still respect Mr Yamauchi.

Personally I don;t care at all.
He's a dude on the other side of the planet

I have No Disrespect for him, so i voted Yes.

Why would you personally disrespect or lose respect for a person you only know through media/ thord party outlets

Sure I do. He has shown with his racing career that he has a true, deep passion for cars and entertaining people. The fact that he has taken on the N24 multiple times only increased my respect for his personality and legacy.

But, I really do not have much respect any more for the team at Polyphony Digital! It's not all Kaz, I realize their delay woes and lack of consistency are not simple problems. Sony is even to blame on certain levels. When I compare to smaller teams, my favorite right now being Kunos with Assetto Corsa, I really start to get disappointed. The reality with other racing games and the quality they have reached, despite different goals, is what has heavily dampened my faith in the team. I even look back on the events from GT5 and GT6, and think that despite my general happiness with the games, I was still not simple features like tire pressure for example. I look back and realize that there were some silly compromises made, and that potential, from a team that size, and with that budget, was not fully reached.

I will criticize how distant and cryptic Kaz can be. I think it's easy to point fingers at him for not holding promises, but I think more realistically, like I was just saying in the last paragraph, that his crew is incompetent. But still, Kaz is the visionary and director, so he still holds partial responsibility as well for not helping things get done.

I suppose I'm sort of in the middle road, maybe leaning towards mild disrespect towards Kaz, but I certainly cannot totally write him off. We have to remember how games are developed, and how teams work. Remembering those things help us realize that Kaz and his actions are not the sole source of GT problems, just the same as they are not the sole source of GT successes.

I suppose I'm sort of in the middle road, maybe leaning towards mild disrespect towards Kaz, but I certainly cannot totally write him off. We have to remember how games are developed, and how teams work. Remembering those things help us realize that.

I'm sure you've heard of Donald Trump? Fine, upstanding example of a human being.
Biggest difference is that he will predict how US citizens being treated, how he manages the so called "World Police" worldwide, and even handing the nuclear launch code.

Kaz is what? Affecting only his franchise and his fans? Its not like if Kaz goes wrong on managing his company we're getting screwed on life or something.

Biggest difference is that he will predict how US citizens being treated, how he manages the so called "World Police" worldwide, and even handing the nuclear launch code.

Kaz is what? Affecting only his franchise and his fans? Its not like if Kaz goes wrong on managing his company we're getting screwed on life or something.

It's a difference of scale, but my point is made. We all judge other people that we know only through media or third parties ALL THE TIME.

Back