Do you still have respect for Kazunori Yamauchi? (poll)

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 248 comments

Do you have any respect for Kazunori Yamauchi?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 164 76.3%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E12Haow.gif
Play this over the GIF and you get a perfect meme:

I have a great respect for him, to delay something that is not up to your standards takes guts, specially in the japanese culture. He put the goal before the money. GT6 is still the best all around performing game and that's on PS3. I have AC (Awful AI), PCars (Needless to say), Drive Club (Fake physics), and keep going back to GT6. I do have a feeling many guys here have personal issues with Kaz, but he can race real cars and not just promoting himself by playing guitar and acting like a "Primadonna": "Oh my be this game is just not for you".
I'm sure that Gran Turismo Sport will be a huge sucess and set new standards for the business. Kaz remembers me "Field of Dreams" : "Just build it and they will came".

...I respect Kaz the businessman, Kaz the salesman, Kaz the visionary responsible for single-handedly rewriting an entire gaming genre, and Kaz the racing driver.

But as for Kaz the game developer.... I am at the stage where indifference is the norm. Oh well.

It's kind of hard to respect a man who treats the fans of his product the same way that a certain Sean Murray of No Man's Sky fame, Just saying they both share similarities, Yes both products look nice but also have missing/incomplete and over advertised features, Neither communicates with their fans etc.

It's funny really how Hello Games get investigated by the ASA for false advertising but woe betide any GT fan ever betraying their holier than thou god Kazunori.

Just my 2cents.

It's kind of hard to respect a man who treats the fans of his product the same way that a certain Sean Murray of No Man's Sky fame, Just saying they both share similarities, Yes both products look nice but also have missing/incomplete and over advertised features, Neither communicates with their fans etc.

It's funny really how Hello Games get investigated by the ASA for false advertising but woe betide any GT fan ever betraying their holier than thou god Kazunori.

Just my 2cents.

The difference between Kaz and Sean is, Kaz has already proven himself to be a great innovator and developer in gaming. He produced lots of good and fun games throughout his career. Meanwhile what Sean has done? Nothing, his first game flopped so bad, he can't even make an apology to his fanbase and maybe try fix all the issues. Yes, they both lied and overpromise a lot, but that's only thing I can compare between both. Kaz is more comparable to Peter Molyneux than Sean Murray to me.

Last edited:
We have to admit that Gran Turismo moved from being a system seller for the Playstation brand to often being negative advertisement.
Gran Turismo is a joke a for a lot of people, we may not agree with them but it is a fact.

Polyphony Digital still continues to take ages to release anything and to delay its projects. It was somehow a market practice 15 years ago and was even considered as participating to the communication around games.
Nowdays it has switch to being just ridiculous and a proof of incompetency, at least in project management and communication.

If there is something to learn from Turn 10 and the Forza franchise is the way they managed to evolve from the same kind of chaotic release management (Forza 1 and 2) to a very professional behaviour since Forza Motorsport 3.

Gran Tursimo simply does not exist on curent gen machines. The latest episode runs on a hardware released 10 years ago ! Being a fan of GT since the beginning, I find it quite sad.

I have a lot of respect for Kazunori Yamauchi but I would not consider it negative if he was replaced and if next Gran Turismo games were managed by people with a track record in proper game development management.

Last edited:
Polyphony Digital still continues to take ages to release anything and to delay its projects. It was somehow a market practice 15 years ago and was even considered as participating to the communication around games.
Nowdays it has switch to being just ridiculous and a proof of incompetency, at least in project management and communication.

15 years ago they didn't take that long to release their games. Yeah, they were always delayed but the gap between GT2 and GT3 was only a year and a half. The gap between GT2 and GT1 was only a couple of years.

It was only with GT4 and GT5 that they started taking a really long time and having massive delays (yeah, yeah, GT5 wasn't technically delayed by that much, whatever you want to call it).

15 years ago they didn't take that long to release their games. Yeah, they were always delayed but the gap between GT2 and GT3 was only a year and a half. The gap between GT2 and GT1 was only a couple of years.

It was only with GT4 and GT5 that they started taking a really long time and having massive delays (yeah, yeah, GT5 wasn't technically delayed by that much, whatever you want to call it).
GT5 only took 5 years to complete, but had bugs when it launched, I remember it, B-Spec drivers were idiots that had to be trained daily no matter the costs. However, GT6 only took 3 years to make a new User Interface with an updated physics engine, but yet used GT5's assets later on in development. GT5 had so many demos that I can remember being on the PSN store front, first being Gran Turismo: HD Concept, GT5: Prologue, and the GT5 2009 GT Academy demo, similar to the one used for GT6's GT Academy demo in July of 2013, but got rid of one important feature from the car dealer in the late public beta was the "Test Drive" option, which would later be used for Premiums in the GT6 garage only. I don't know why they scrapped it, but it's beyond me.

i tried Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and some other Stuff on PS4 - and i am sure GT Sport at the end will be the best game. they build the games for earning money - not for us gamers/racers.

it seems that kaz doesn't need that money and only want to come out, when his game is real ready for the world.
this game development is not shareholder driven and not business driven. In an world like today this has my full respect.

i tried Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and some other Stuff on PS4 - and i am sure GT Sport at the end will be the best game. they build the games for earning money - not for us gamers/racers.

it seems that kaz doesn't need that money and only want to come out, when his game is real ready for the world.
this game development is not shareholder driven and not business driven. In an world like today this has my full respect.

Wait... Are you suggesting both Kunos and Slightly Mad are "in it for the money", but Polyphony isn't?

:lol:

Polyphony Digital is now a registered non-profit charity? Why isn't this in the News Forum?

yes in the end it earns money - but here the money doesn't decide to bring a non ready game to the market - like in other cases the money do.

this game development is not shareholder driven and not business driven.

rofl.png

The crowdfunded game and the indie game made in a garage are money grabs, but the massive developer owned by a multinational isn't? Pull the other one, it has bells on.

He's managed to make Japanese workers about 1/4th as productive as French workers. He's probably the only person in the entire history of humanity to accomplish that. But no, I certainly don't "respect" him for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the guy who took the initiative to properly develop racing sims for the console whilst all the other developers were happy to churn out arcade racing games nearly twenty years ago?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the guy who took the initiative to properly develop racing sims for the console whilst all the other developers were happy to churn out arcade racing games nearly twenty years ago?
Arguably GT has never been a sim, but he did create the car collecting genre i think. So for that concept (winning money and buying virtual representations of real life cars + tuning them up), he does deserve a lot of credit yes.

Shame he ditched the whole formula now that made the series successful in the first place.:D

...I respect Kaz the businessman, Kaz the salesman, Kaz the visionary responsible for single-handedly rewriting an entire gaming genre, and Kaz the racing driver.

But as for Kaz the game developer.... I am at the stage where indifference is the norm. Oh well.

Kaz the businessman?

If he would be a good businessman he would bring more DLC and make more Money. Kaz is the worst Businessman you can imagine.

Arguably GT has never been a sim, but he did create the car collecting genre i think. So for that concept (winning money and buying virtual representations of real life cars + tuning them up), he does deserve a lot of credit yes.

Shame he ditched the whole formula now that made the series successful in the first place.:D

I know, and then we wouldn't have had to wait half as long for each release because PD wouldn't have been catering for all the whiners' non-value added needs and wants! Interestingly, the flagship series (GT500) that was in GT1, is still at least one of the most popular organised series even today.

I know, and then we wouldn't have had to wait half as long for each release because PD wouldn't have been catering for all the whiners' non-value added needs and wants! Interestingly, the flagship series (GT500) that was in GT1, is still at least one of the most popular organised series even today.
I don't think all the whiners cried for an iracing clone though :)

B.K
Kaz the businessman?

If he would be a good businessman he would bring more DLC and make more Money. Kaz is the worst Businessman you can imagine.

...Nope. You're failing to see the bigger picture here. PDI doesn't only do games. Oh no. They also do in-car infotainment stuff too. That's just on the surface. Who knows how many business ventures unrelated to gaming Kaz & PDI are involved in?

One thing's for sure, PDI isn't hurting for cash, regardless of no DLCs, no games, and whatnots. The money is coming from somewhere, and if you weren't a bril business man with a bril sales talk, you'd never get backers to back you. That's just how it is. Hence, the man has my respect as a businessman.

Yeah, that's why it's so long between releases. Kaz is busy catering to the fans:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back