FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gr.4 Mclaren on RM tyres is surprisingly competitive, slightly worse off on RH.
The Gr.3 is decent hotlapping but too difficult for me to be competitive in actual races. The tyres are bad, not much acceleration and useless brakes. Maybe someone in the forum can be competitive in it and give their expert opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I want to struggle or not. Maybe do some more testing with it. I haven't driven the gr3 car a ton, but it's so good looking and sounding I may take a hit on it lol. I want to make them work

Bit annoyed that I changed my E-type from red to blue, thinking most of the field would be in red. There was one guy, who started 19th. And was a D rank in a field of B, but that's besides the point.

Started 14th, finished 5th. Very happy.

Really enjoyed the nation's cup e type race with a clean sweep of pole fastest lap and race win. Also finally got my SR back up S rank.

Nice, congrats! What was the tire wear like on the Jag?

So a real race driver who wins a race after making a pit stop isn’t really the best driver that day? His tires wore out and his fuel ran low so he had to pit but that’s not part of racing right? I really don’t understand where your coming from here,these are all parts of real racing. The best driver still needs the best strategy, and execution to win. What’s wrong with that? It takes more skill to run worn out tires at and keep pace than it does fresh ones, especially while trying to conserve fuel at the same time, how is that not driving skill? I’d call that a better driver than a guy who can only run fast without tire wear or fuel consumption.

There appears to be a misunderstanding here between what I am writing and how you are interpreting it. I am not saying the things that you say I am. Neither am I saying that all of what you are saying is wrong. Let’s agree to disagree about it in this fia thread, before being accused of hijacking it!

All I am saying is that, for me, as soon as factors outside the pure driving speed and racing skill on track of the driver enter the equation, the result is not going to be a completely accurate measure of who the best driver is. I personally would rather tyres and fuel were not something that a racing driver needed to think about, as that leads to every driver working out the same way to manage them, losing their individual styles and waiting until the pit stop instead of overtaking on track. That is not racing in my book, but I acknowledge there may be other books XD

Nice, congrats! What was the tire wear like on the Jag?
tyre wear was alright, managed to no stop it, although I was about 26 secs ahead so wasn't pushing to hard, 0 stop should be possible as long as you're not going to hard on them, was using ds4 if that helps. I adjusted brake bias to -3 to help stop the car sliding in corners as much also.

Last edited:
The best racer isn't always the fastest. Anyway, I thought for sure I'd be wiped clean once my race started. I got overtaken by a Huracan, Mustang and Vantage.

The Mustang slipped away as I had to contend with the blocking Huracan. We caught up to the Vantage and got by, after it and the Huracan were battling in the turns instead of working together. The leader was getting away.

By lap 5, the Huracan was struggling for grip. It was still blocking a bit, but I kept note of where it was weak. Each time I got along side it, I always gave room. It finally made a mistake and I was able to pass cleanly and use my 86's speed in changing direction for the esses.

Got a gap during the pit stop and jumped second place as it was exiting the pits. From there, I maintained a 1.5-2.5 second gap until lap 11, where the car behind must have been struggling. The leader was so far ahead(10 seconds), it pit again for fresh RMs and pulled away to finish 22 seconds ahead of me.

People have to learn to be smart as well. Focus should be don't let the leader get away in these races. Winning should come secondary as we don't have lots of time and we kill each other's chances by trying to win too early.

In the manufacturers I went for a 2 stop on medium tyres and that seemed to work ok. Although my tyres were shot by the end of each stint, it at least gave me enough pace to avoid getting smashed on the opening laps. Qualified in 7th and managed to roughly hold position until the 1st pit stop on lap 5 (gained a couple through people having penalties and then lost them again when they came back past.) Then I decided to miss the pit entry and hit the wall giving me a 1.5 sec penalty. I took the penalty that dropped me back 1 place, but I managed to get back past and then trying to get past a guy on older tyres I ended up grinding someone into the wall and got myself another 2 second penalty.

After I took my final stop on lap 9 I came out in 14th, but I knew the people ahead would have older tyres. I had a good overtake on the start of lap 12 when I managed to get 2 people on the bottom straight, and 1 person pitted, so managed get 10th and 950 points. Quite happy with the result to be honest.

A guy on the inside of me mid-hairpin at Tokyo decided he wanted to go for a pitstop. On lap 11. You have some idea of how the race went.

Last night I could only participate in the 20:10 session for the FIA Manufacturer's cup...

And it was ruined by some salty child who constantly kept ramming me out of "revenge" because I misjudged a corner and hit him. The race was unsalvageable around halfway in because he kept slamming into me and making me hit the wall, further widening the gap between 13th place and 14th place (I peaked at 6th before he enacted his revenge plot on me) so I just quit, shut off my PS4 and played other games instead. :grumpy:

I quit my Nations Cup race today too. And that probably does it for me in the series.

Conclusion: I don't belong in the series. I did progressively worse each race. Constantly lost DR points. I tried to take the time to prepare properly. But obviously I am not ready yet. :guilty:

Nations combo was actually really fun, loved the Jag. Made a couple of mistakes here and there, but overall decent race.

Many was a very long race, not very often these days. Of course I'd suffer on tyre wear being an Aston Martin driver, but the result ended up being ok. Race had some contacts, which is unfortunate.

I tried my best to keep close.

If you brought a knife to a gun fight, then I must have brought a banana. :boggled:

At least the Fat Cat had straightline speed. Someone please tell me what redeeming quality the Group 4 Lexus has because all it has going for it that I can see is fuel and that's not really relevant.

Nice fact for anybody that's interested.

I just thought you would want to know a nice little touch Thrustmaster did to their thank you card for all the world finalists that were in Monaco:

full

As you can see from the picture, the Thank You itself is in the mother tongue of all (go the GT website and check it yourself if you don't believe me) the competitors that were present in Monaco (how cool is that!?), but also one of them stands out. The writing on the right side just under the Japanese thank you is thank you in Macedonian.

Proof:
full

There's no other language that gives the same result, so it can't be a coincidence. I wonder who's that for?

The only driver thats has any Macedonian background is Cody Nikola, so that's pretty cool!

It's a subtle touch and a nice surprised that PD have recognized the Macedonian half of him. :)

Found it out after looking at Mikail's post about the present a bit more closely.

Last edited:
That's very classy of PD and Thrustmaster.

They make racing helmets for cats?

I thought about asking that too! XD

Btw can you see the first two photos I put in that previous post? They appear invisible to me for some reason. :odd:

K32
Nice fact for anybody that's interested.

I just thought you would want to know a nice little touch Thrustmaster did to their thank you card for all the world finalists that were in Monaco:

full

As you can see from the picture, the Thank You itself is in the mother tongue of all (go the GT website and check it yourself if you don't believe me) the competitors that were present in Monaco (how cool is that!?), but also one of them stands out. The writing on the right side just under the Japanese thank you is thank you in Macedonian.

Proof:
full

There's no other language that gives the same result, so it can't be a coincidence. I wonder who's that for?

The only driver thats has any Macedonian background is Cody Nikola, so that's pretty cool!

It's a subtle touch and a nice surprised that PD have recognized the Macedonian half of him. :)

Found it out after looking at Mikail's post about the present a bit more closely.

Yeah that's a pretty cool thing thrustmaster did there ^^ But wished they would have included the turkish one too (for me ^^) (Teşekkür ederim = thank you in turkish)

Entered both races on Wednesday.
Was in the top split for Nations (including @T_revisio). As expected pace was not good compared to most of them but had some interesting battles along the way.

Qualifying went better than expected in this one, and the result would've been similar had I actually kept track of my fuel. Had to run the last lap or so in mix 6 which cost me about 5 positions. I do think the FIA races should be around the 25 min length like this one was.

Any talk of adding Groups to FIA races?

I just saw a pic of the new Corolla TCR. Seeing as it's a global series like GT3/GT4 and TCR actually do joint races with GT4. Wondering if TCR may be added at some point.

Many major manufacturers have cars homologated:
Alfa
Audi
Ford
Honda
Hyundai
Peugeot
Renault
Subaru
Toyota
VW
As well as some manufacturers not in GT SPORT: Seat, Opel, Capra, Kia, Lada

Though most are represented, Gr.3 don't have every variant of car(no gr.3 Veyron). Just a thought.

News:

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_1269418.html

The next 'Online Championship' will take place on Wednesday January 30th.

Quick Thoughts:

There was a very similar announcement in Early December for Exhibition Season 4, announcing it for December 19th

However, they specified Exhibition Season rather than 'Online Championship'

'Online Championship' is what they refer to the Official Seasons as at the Live Finals

So I think this marks the start of the Official 2019 Season, most likely kicking it off with a Pre-Season like last year, with the seasons that 'count' probably following starting March/April. Exciting news :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back