FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would share my FIA race here, having not played competitively online for many years I've thoroughly enjoyed my time on GT Sport, winning 5 our of my first 6 FIA races. On this Monza race my big mistake was using Medium tyres, as soon as I changed that it was plain sailing.

Anyone know the best strategy for tonights Manufacturer race? I tried running a 1 stop on hards last night, but kept getting hit up the backside through corners by Porsche drivers who were on mediums. I'm thinking a 2 stop on mediums for the Peugeot might be best?

Doubt I will bother with the Nations as I can't figure out how to drive that car fast. I am doing 1:48's while others were doing 1:45's, so must be some secret sauce I don't understand.

Anyone know the best strategy for tonights Manufacturer race?
I did a 2-stop (5H/4M/4M) strategy in a practice race a few minutes ago in the M4, though soon it was actually fatal thanks to it being rather thirsty on fuel, which causes 1 refueling stop, and the front Mediums just wrecked themselves after 4 laps.

Be careful out there tonight. Tokyo is handing drivers big penalties for inconsequential contact. Just got done getting yelled at by someone who suffered a DR reset from it (combined with other incidents) and having to prove my innocence. The sad part was, they took a penalty but the guy who dumped them into a wall immediately afterwards didn't.

I did a 2-stop (5H/4M/4M) strategy in a practice race a few minutes ago in the M4, though soon it was actually fatal thanks to it being rather thirsty on fuel, which causes 1 refueling stop, and the front Mediums just wrecked themselves after 4 laps.
Hmm, not sure there is much point in doing the manufacturers if you are having to 2 stop in the BMW. Through the fast corners I was probably 10mph down on the Porsche's after the 1st lap so I am basically going to be a rolling roadblock until somebody gets annoyed and punts me. Happened last night in a lobby and that was with some very good drivers compared to who I will be racing against. Maybe 3 stops on mediums just for chuckles :)

Stopped for RMs Lap7. Finished with 0.2Laps of fuel remaining.

IMG_6301.JPG
IMG_6302.JPG

If I bought a jag e type in real life and the tyres were finished after 16 minutes, I wouldn’t be very happy (see today’s fia nations race)!

Why make a great game, then ruin it with completely unnecessary too high tyre wear and/or fuel consumption?? That isn’t racing. It rewards slower drivers, who don’t use as much tyres and fuel, because they aren’t going as fast. Why do we have to suffer this intolerable game ruining nonsense !?

There was no tyre wear or fuel “wear” in any of the races when the game was launched, then it changed after a few weeks. I really do wonder why, does anyone else think it needs to be sorted out?

I have raced in real life for over 20 years and never had to really be worried about fuel or tyre wear like we have to in Gran Turismo.

If I bought a jag e type in real life and the tyres were finished after 16 minutes, I wouldn’t be very happy (see today’s fia nations race)!

Why make a great game, then ruin it with completely unnecessary too high tyre wear and/or fuel consumption?? That isn’t racing. It rewards slower drivers, who don’t use as much tyres and fuel, because they aren’t going as fast. Why do we have to suffer this intolerable game ruining nonsense !?

There was no tyre wear or fuel “wear” in any of the races when the game was launched, then it changed after a few weeks. I really do wonder why, does anyone else think it needs to be sorted out?

I have raced in real life for over 20 years and never had to really be worried about fuel or tyre wear like we have to in Gran Turismo.

But then there wouldn’t be any need for a pit stop in a 10/15/20 lap race, why have a longer race with no pit stop? It kinda defeats the purpose and takes away from the realism.

Be careful out there tonight. Tokyo is handing drivers big penalties for inconsequential contact. Just got done getting yelled at by someone who suffered a DR reset from it (combined with other incidents) and having to prove my innocence. The sad part was, they took a penalty but the guy who dumped them into a wall immediately afterwards didn't.

Penalties are annoying enough outside Tokyo. No point doing the races at Tokyo unless you don’t mind getting stupidly unnecessary penalties. Why is this great game being ruined by stupid nonsense like this ?

But then there wouldn’t be any need for a pit stop in a 10/15/20 lap race, why have a longer race with no pit stop? It kinda defeats the purpose and takes away from the realism.

What is so good about pit stops ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is so good about pit stops ?

They are part of real racing for one, and they also give another chance for people to mess up and for you to pass them or make up ground. I missed my pit stop the other night in a race and it cost me 3 positions in the race. That wouldn’t happen in a nonstop race.

Pit stops and tyre wear are there to prevent the race from becoming a prolonged time trial. It challenges players to adjust to the reducing levels of grip from lap to lap and creates interesting scenarios in the race that you otherwise wouldn't get. The length or lack thereof of the races forces PD to set high tyre wear multipliers in order to make it relevant in the race. I do wish PD would revert the FIA back to the regular 25~ minute races we had in the official season. That way we wouldn't need such high wear multipliers to create the strategic options that PD is trying to make available (the Tokyo race tonight is perfect aside from the wear multiplier being a bit too high).

Last edited:
They are part of real racing for one, and they also give another chance for people to mess up and for you to pass them or make up ground. I missed my pit stop the other night in a race and it cost me 3 positions in the race. That wouldn’t happen in a nonstop race.

Some real racing has pitstops and some doesn’t, to be more accurate, there is sprint racing and endurance racing. Keeping tyre and fuel wear in endurance and out of sprints would be a good idea.

Personally, I prefer no factor outside driving and racing ability, which includes pit stops, tyre and fuel wear, to create the race result. Daily race B is my friend, but we don’t get that option in fia races, it’s always pit stops or too much tyre : fuel wear to be realistic racing, for me.

Some real racing has pitstops and some doesn’t, to be more accurate, there is sprint racing and endurance racing. Keeping tyre and fuel wear in endurance and out of sprints would be a good idea.

Personally, I prefer no factor outside driving and racing ability, which includes pit stops, tyre and fuel wear, to create the race result. Daily race B is my friend, but we don’t get that option in fia races, it’s always pit stops or too much tyre : fuel wear to be realistic racing, for me.

The race is scaled down, so why wouldn’t the tire life and fuel consumption be scaled down as well to match? That doesn’t make sense.

This is not always the case. The last N class nations race could be done with no stop, as an example. The are several FIA events that could be completed with no stop over the seasons.
Embrace the strategic aspects of it. You might like it.

This is not always the case. The last N class nations race could be done with no stop, as an example. The are several FIA events that could be completed with no stop over the seasons.
Embrace the strategic aspects of it. You might like it.

I’m saying that thr tyre wear is way too high in those no stop races.

There is also the question of how much harder tyre wear is to manage with ds4 vs wheel, I’m terms of fairness, but that isn’t necessarily a proven fact.

Driving and racing is the main interest for me, not strategy.

Ye I agree with Trevisio's proposals to an extent (BMW driver here), but to retain that strategy aspect, the wear rates should be scaled down from say like 12X to like 8X, then put fuel consumption down to 1X, and the stock settings should be adjusted so that tyre wear rates between cars are evenly matched. If not possible, just put tyres and fuel to 1X and have a set fuel load that can last half the race. My disastrous Manufacturers race today is a clear example of this.

The main issue I have with these high tyre wear races is that difference between the cars is too high. Over 1 lap gr.4 isn't too badly balanced, but over race distance there is a big gap between the cars.

We could manage to race with 12x if the wear between the cars was closer, but the difference is too big. Unless you are racing a car with a low wear rate there is no chance to even compete. When someone in an Aston/Ford/Lexus has to have the race of their lives to beat a Porsche over race distance, then there is something wrong.

Yes I am biased as I chose Peugeot for a laugh and have been stuck with it for ever, but if they fix the tyre wear difference you will see lots of people in different cars when they give us the option to change. Otherwise you will see all the best drivers in a Porsche.

Ye I agree with Trevisio's proposals to an extent (BMW driver here), but to retain that strategy aspect, the wear rates should be scaled down from say like 12X to like 8X, then put fuel consumption down to 1X, and the stock settings should be adjusted so that tyre wear rates between cars are evenly matched. If not possible, just put tyres and fuel to 1X and have a set fuel load that can last half the race. My disastrous Manufacturers race today is a clear example of this.

But different cars don’t wear tires evenly in real life, why would the game even then out? It’s suposed to be as close to simulation as possible.

I guess all I’m saying is that a driver’s speed and racing ability should be the main, if not the only factor/s that decide which driver is champion. Introducing random factors that change the result, that are not directly driver skill related, will not give a pure result of who the best driver is.

A great racing wheel to wheel battle can be ruined by pit stops not being of equal time, as the drivers are then separated upon rejoining the circuit.

I guess all I’m saying is that a driver’s speed and racing ability should be the main, if not the only factor/s that decide which driver is champion. Introducing random factors that change the result, that are not directly driver skill related, will not give a pure result of who the best driver is.

A great racing wheel to wheel battle can be ruined by pit stops not being of equal time, as the drivers are then separated upon rejoining the circuit.

So in real life driver skill is the ONLY thing that factors into racing results? Not the pit crew, strategy, race team prepping the car properly, choice of tire, choice of laps to pit. Etc? You have to have both the speed/skill, plus the brains to use those skills effectively, and irl you need a great team of people around you as well. It’s not just speed/skill.

Slightly unrelated to this high tire wear multiplier conversation. Does anyone know if the McClarens are competitive and what tire wear is like? Been thinking of going with them whenever we get back to regular seasons or can change manufacturers. Thanks in advance guys!

So in real life driver skill is the ONLY thing that factors into racing results? Not the pit crew, strategy, race team prepping the car properly, choice of tire, choice of laps to pit. Etc? You have to have both the speed/skill, plus the brains to use those skills effectively, and irl you need a great team of people around you as well. It’s not just speed/skill.

I’m saying that if you want to find the best racing driver, all drivers have to go onto the track in the same race, with a level playing field and equal opportunity. If purely finding the best driver is not what you want to achieve, then by all means introduce random factors that are unrelated to driving and racing ability on the track, into a race situation, but don’t still pretend that the best racing driver will win that one.

To an extent, I understand that not all cars are perfect for all tracks, but, if I look at the top 10 leaderboard in the manufacturers, they seem pretty well matched over the course of the season... The top 10 goes like this currently

ALFA
BMW
MAZDA
LEXUS
VOLKSWAGEN
PORSCHE
TOYOTA
AUDI
BMW
FORD

Now, if that is not evenly matched, I don't know what you guys want? The real problem here and I don't want to insult anyone with this, is not the cars not being matched properly, it's the drivers not being able to adapt to the car they drive.

I was struggling with the BMW M6 fuel consumption as well in this weeks race, then after watching TTG_Zennit practice, and listening to his advice, I learned that by doing something as easy as shifting 300-500RPM's early, I could make it barely need any petrol, and keep my lap times exactly the same. The cars are not the problem in most cases, the drivers are.

The top 10 leaderboard is helped by the fact that gr3 is included in those scores, and group 3 is pretty well balanced. The issue is Gr.4 for me, and only really the tyre wear. When it comes to outright 1 lap pace gr4 is ok, but when you factor in tyre wear it isn't.

When I did my 10 lap test at Brands Hatch Indy(10x tyre wear), the Cayman finished the race in 7mins58secs, while the Peugeot was at 8mins11secs. The fastest lap difference between those 2 cars was 0.2 secs. I just think they need to half the difference in the tyre wear rate(across all cars). Porsche would still be the best and Peugeot the worst, but at least they could compete a little.

I really WANT to do Manufacturers tonight but I'm with Mazda, and their Gr.4 4 wheel drive Atenza eats it's front tyres. I did some practice, and two stopping all on hards is something I'm actually considering! If I muster up the courage, I'll likely start with hards on the front and mediums on the rear and hope I can get to lap 6/7 like that.

My biggest worry is that I'll lose my DR A rating but that's on the cards with this weeks dailies anyway. My aim will be to just keep out of everyone's way :)

I appreciate your point and for GR3 I agree. Those cars are well balanced, more or less. However, in GR4, the cars are too out of balance. The FWD cars have too much speed, the 4WD cars are so easy to drive, other cars are too slow. I think tire wear and fuel are the equalizers. I agree it is too much though.

You have a solid point on the amount of tire wear. I just wish some of the FWD cars were not so unbelievably fast on the straight.
I drive Mazda so I'm screwed on tirewear so your point is well taken.

Slightly unrelated to this high tire wear multiplier conversation. Does anyone know if the McClarens are competitive and what tire wear is like? Been thinking of going with them whenever we get back to regular seasons or can change manufacturers. Thanks in advance guys!

The Gr.4 Mclaren on RM tyres is surprisingly competitive, slightly worse off on RH.
The Gr.3 is decent hotlapping but too difficult for me to be competitive in actual races. The tyres are bad, not much acceleration and useless brakes. Maybe someone in the forum can be competitive in it and give their expert opinion.

Back to today's Manus. No prior practice and only experience on the track is with the Ford GT, so expect the worst. Full A/S room, qualified 16th and start my McLaren with hard/medium till lap 8, finished surprising 10th. Raced the last slot, mixed A/b room, botched qualifying and started 12th and end 5th. Staying clean and saving tires working wonders in both races! DR up another 1k as well :cool:

Last edited:
I’m saying that if you want to find the best racing driver, all drivers have to go onto the track in the same race, with a level playing field and equal opportunity. If purely finding the best driver is not what you want to achieve, then by all means introduce random factors that are unrelated to driving and racing ability on the track, into a race situation, but don’t still pretend that the best racing driver will win that one.

So a real race driver who wins a race after making a pit stop isn’t really the best driver that day? His tires wore out and his fuel ran low so he had to pit but that’s not part of racing right? I really don’t understand where your coming from here,these are all parts of real racing. The best driver still needs the best strategy, and execution to win. What’s wrong with that? It takes more skill to run worn out tires at and keep pace than it does fresh ones, especially while trying to conserve fuel at the same time, how is that not driving skill? I’d call that a better driver than a guy who can only run fast without tire wear or fuel consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back