FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to watch this and provide some feedback ? I know I was wide in the first chicane, but i really need to get one sec better time ...
I switched to McLaren from Aston Martin for this new season and that takes some adjustments ... Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly you need to short shift the Mclaren Gr.4 car, aim for around half to 3/4 on the rev bar to get the best speed out of it.

Also, I think you need to push a bit more on the soft tyres, as you are not pushing the limits coming out of the corners. I struggle with that as well sometimes as I just don't believe the tyres will stick. Brake a little later (apart from at the end of the straight where you braked too late :) ) and accelerate a little bit earlier and you will gain time.

Anyone care to watch this and provide some feedback ? I know I was wide in the first chicane, but i really need to get one sec better time ...
I switched to McLaren from Aston Martin for this new season and that takes some adjustments ... Thanks in advance.
1. The McLaren needs to be upshifted no later than 3/4 bar. Just the way the powerband is on that car.
2. I would brake more straight into La Source, make a tighter turn-in and power out the moment you can.
3. Getting the entry to Les Combes correct will definitely gain you a ton of time. Personally, I really like attacking the curbing on the initial right so I can better line up the left and final right.
4. You have the right idea on lining up your entry to Pouhon. Use every bit of curb to the right and try to angle the nose towards the apex. The better you can do this, the more speed you can carry assuming you can avoid the understeer.
5. Past Stavelot, the next corner should be flat out. Ride the curb on the left and turn in a bit earlier. It may not be flat out on older tires in which you may have to pump the throttle to avoid going wide.

Goodbye Ferrari, hello BMW!

20200216183012.jpg

After the nightmare with the 458 Italia Gr.3 last season, I'll take something a bit more grounded, thanks. (Is 458 the number of degrees that car wants to turn whenever you point it at a bend?) I had a decent season with Mercedes in Exhibition Season 2, so back to the FR power cars I go.

Seems like Spa's going to be a rough first round though, the M4 Gr.4 seems to be EXTREMELY thirsty. I'm going for a 6M/5S 1-stop, shortshifting the whole way. From practice it seems to be ok, although my pace per lap feels quite slow and the last lap of each stint is a bit dicey! Not sure if I'd be faster going for a 2-stop, but I'd prefer not to if I can help it.

Seeking advice from more experienced drivers - in a situation like this with a low fuel efficiency car on a high fuel drain round, do you try to fuel save against it or just go all out and take the longer pit stop?

If I remember correctly you need to short shift the Mclaren Gr.4 car, aim for around half to 3/4 on the rev bar to get the best speed out of it.

Also, I think you need to push a bit more on the soft tyres, as you are not pushing the limits coming out of the corners. I struggle with that as well sometimes as I just don't believe the tyres will stick. Brake a little later (apart from at the end of the straight where you braked too late :) ) and accelerate a little bit earlier and you will gain time.
Thanks , I will report progress. I have seen other postings about the gear shifting. Should help the fuel consumption as well.

View attachment 891490

After the nightmare with the 458 Italia Gr.3 last season, I'll take something a bit more grounded, thanks. (Is 458 the number of degrees that car wants to turn whenever you point it at a bend?) I had a decent season with Mercedes in Exhibition Season 2, so back to the FR power cars I go.

Seems like Spa's going to be a rough first round though, the M4 Gr.4 seems to be EXTREMELY thirsty. I'm going for a 6M/5S 1-stop, shortshifting the whole way. From practice it seems to be ok, although my pace per lap feels quite slow and the last lap of each stint is a bit dicey! Not sure if I'd be faster going for a 2-stop, but I'd prefer not to if I can help it.

Seeking advice from more experienced drivers - in a situation like this with a low fuel efficiency car on a high fuel drain round, do you try to fuel save against it or just go all out and take the longer pit stop?
My first thought usually is whether I can save enough fuel to either skip a stop or not take fuel during a stop. If neither apply, then it's how lap times look at different rates of fuel saving. At some point, the fuel gained isn't worth the time lost.

View attachment 891490

Here's mine, practicing at the Ring, hoping to get more than two races in this time...
4981566141019226124_0.jpg

My first FIA Pre-season. Signed with Ford because of the Etiquette videos.

You all are thinking logically. 👍

Restarted my game. Forgot which World Tour player said they probably won't see Audi anymore, due to the FF TT. Gave up on running the Alfa Megane. Going back to FR.

Looking at BMW (GR.4), Ford(GR.4) and Lexus(GR.3). I'd love to choose Mazda, but not sure about the Atenza speed at Fuji. It's not FR, but love driving it in cockpit view. I'll decide before the first slot. :indiff:

1. The McLaren needs to be upshifted no later than 3/4 bar. Just the way the powerband is on that car.
2. I would brake more straight into La Source, make a tighter turn-in and power out the moment you can.
3. Getting the entry to Les Combes correct will definitely gain you a ton of time. Personally, I really like attacking the curbing on the initial right so I can better line up the left and final right.
4. You have the right idea on lining up your entry to Pouhon. Use every bit of curb to the right and try to angle the nose towards the apex. The better you can do this, the more speed you can carry assuming you can avoid the understeer.
5. Past Stavelot, the next corner should be flat out. Ride the curb on the left and turn in a bit earlier. It may not be flat out on older tires in which you may have to pump the throttle to avoid going wide.

Epic suggestions ! They really helped. This afternoon I managed to get my time improved with one 1 second ! I alsoo changed BB to +2 instead of -4.

I went with Dodge last season. My impressions are opposite to yours. Gr.3 car is decent on straights. Just make sure to upshift around 3/4 rev bar. In terms of cornering it understeers because of the long nose, so you need to get good on your trail braking. Wheelspin is almost a non issue because the BOP severely restricts the power so you can just plant it coming out of corners. I find using BB -1 helps with braking performance and also evens out the tyre wear (BB 0 the rears wears slightly more). The Gr.4 is very slow on straights (only slightly faster than the GT86), also understeers and eats the fronts because of that large V10 up front. Using rear BB helps the tyre wear but it loses braking performance dramatically. Apart from that it's easy to drive but you'll struggle to make up positions on pure pace alone. Make sure you draft during quali and get as high up the grid as possible to have a good chance.

IMO it's been proven time and again that all the cars can be quite close if the driver is skilled enough and knows how to exploit its strengths and minimize the weakness. The issue is some cars need a very specific way to drive to get the best out of them, and most people can't quite alter driving style to match the subtleties. Hopefully with the changed points system for Manu this year (only top 3 regions count) we'll have the aliens drive more interesting Manufacturers instead of all clustering among the usual suspects (e.g. Merc, Toyota, Porsche, Lexus, Jaguar).

Thanks m8. On the gr. 3 Viper, I noticed indeed that's its more competitive, I just got to take it super slow in, fast out. On daily B, I was just 0.800s out of my normal pace with the supra.

On gr. 4 practising for spa? Boy oh boy. It's a losing game. With draft I go around 2.28.6 and solo, around 2.29. A regular pace of 2.30

Im thinking of going 4s/4m/3s for pitting strategy.
The meds can last 6, but I didn't test if a 1 stopper is faster.
Any concensus on that aspect of strategy?

My presumption is the same as individual: 3 out of 8. Therefore, the max Manu points for preseason would be 120.

Now, this was a change I was expecting and so I had a lot of time to mull it over. My general impression is that my chances (or that of any non-top tier alien) to be part of any future World Tour is even lower because it will be easier for top guys to form alliances with three instead of five. That said, I'm still giving it a go and yes, the Pug Train could shock the world again down the road if the right set of circumstances come together.
Yeah I'm not gambling on the PUG train this year lol. But i agree it will be even harder for me as well to qualify for any event this year but since the actual season only a quarter of races count again I'll probably only attempt at most about half of the rounds.

Unfortunately it will also come down to how strict they monitor the multi accounters or those that "switch" to a "new" account to hop into another manu partway through the year

Watching Kie and Fire pit in their practice Manufacturer race with >50% fuel........makes me a little worried for this race. In the Mustang, without slipstream I'm pitting with maybe 10% fuel after 7 laps. I'm hoping I'll get some slipstream for the actual race. I need it.

Also grappling with the decision to run Mediums to Mediums for the race instead of Meds-Softs. After 2 laps the mediums feel faster than the softs.

Either way, looking forward to the race. Thought it was yesterday, so was more than a little disappointed when I realized it wasn't.

My first thought usually is whether I can save enough fuel to either skip a stop or not take fuel during a stop. If neither apply, then it's how lap times look at different rates of fuel saving. At some point, the fuel gained isn't worth the time lost.

In that case, I'll just shift up to try optimise the power curve as I can still get the 6 laps I need out of it.

I guess I was getting fixated on what I perceived to be a major weakness to fight against. Just had all sorts of scenarios where I get stuck refuelling forever compared to the people I'm racing in my head. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!

In that case, I'll just shift up to try optimise the power curve as I can still get the 6 laps I need out of it.

I guess I was getting fixated on what I perceived to be a major weakness to fight against. Just had all sorts of scenarios where I get stuck refuelling forever compared to the people I'm racing in my head. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!
It would make sense to fuel save at the slower sections; that will help tire wear as well. The straights are car dependent. I'm leaning towards pushing in my GT-R because my tires are going to die and so I don't feel like giving up any more time where that won't matter.

It would make sense to fuel save at the slower sections; that will help tire wear as well. The straights are car dependent. I'm leaning towards pushing in my GT-R because my tires are going to die and so I don't feel like giving up any more time where that won't matter.
I'm getting tired of conserving any way. I'm 48 and not a fast player. May as well have fun and "race" my car. If it means an early or extra pit stop or staying stationery for a longer time, so be it.
Main goal is always a top 10. I've lost some podium finishes, but also won some. I'll push every race this season.

I'm getting tired of conserving any way. I'm 48 and not a fast player. May as well have fun and "race" my car. If it means an early or extra pit stop or staying stationery for a longer time, so be it.
Main goal is always a top 10. I've lost some podium finishes, but also won some. I'll push every race this season.
I'll second that.

What is the pit loss for Spa?

I don't remember exactly how much, but it's a lot of time. Something like 12-14 seconds. Too long for a 2-stopper in my opinion. You're better off fuel-mapping through the slower corners on the track which will save fuel and tires. I've run several practice races and not a single person who pitted twice has come close to me in race.

I don't know what that is, but in an FIA lobby you can change tyres before and after qualifying by using the gear icon. If you use the spanner/wrench icon, you can't.

you can change tires from either location at any time, gear or wrench icon....it's just that you have to change the fronts first. If you try to change the rear tires first they will be greyed out...which was a "bug" fix to prevent people from having different compounds on the front vs the rear, I'm sure you remember that update.

sorry for these late replies, just getting caught up on this thread as this week's races are approaching.

View attachment 891490

Welcome to the BMW crew! 👍

Yes, the M4 could be a gas guzzler if left on FM1 for too long.

Done few sim races and 2 stops is almost an inevitable scenario. I am leaning towards a 3S-5M-3s... now, the tire change is no so bad but refueling can take forever. So far I tried flat out FM1 but I don’t think that will work. Planning on FM2 throughout with same tire strategy to see what happens.

I don't remember exactly how much, but it's a lot of time. Something like 12-14 seconds. Too long for a 2-stopper in my opinion. You're better off fuel-mapping through the slower corners on the track which will save fuel and tires. I've run several practice races and not a single person who pitted twice has come close to me in race.

you can change tires from either location at any time, gear or wrench icon....it's just that you have to change the fronts first. If you try to change the rear tires first they will be greyed out...which was a "bug" fix to prevent people from having different compounds on the front vs the rear, I'm sure you remember that update.

sorry for these late replies, just getting caught up on this thread as this week's races are approaching.
Yeah but unfortunately in practice lobbies (@Famine these are public lobbies with the same settings as the FIA round) you can't change tyres between Q and the race because it jumps straight into the race instead of an FIA lobby where there is about a minute to chat and complain about people fuel burning on the racing line and to change tyres.

Not sure about the tyre bug in public lobbies where starting Q on a harder compound and switching to a softer compound results in a "softer" compound in the race

Yeah but unfortunately in practice lobbies (@Famine these are public lobbies with the same settings as the FIA round) you can't change tyres between Q and the race because it jumps straight into the race instead of an FIA lobby where there is about a minute to chat and complain about people fuel burning on the racing line and to change tyres.

Not sure about the tyre bug in public lobbies where starting Q on a harder compound and switching to a softer compound results in a "softer" compound in the race
You can if you exit qualy and go to the race entry screen by using the gear icon, and don't have to cancel your entry. That's what I got from famine's response. Of course if you go into 'overtime' in qualifying you don't get the option to exit and go into that screen

What is the pit loss for Spa?

Been practicing nicely and doing one stops in the Jag but including just under 50% fuel it's approaching 20s. If fuel is going in at 7% per second then it's around 7s refuelling (plus a little attaching the nozzle I think) So as @Winnie847 says, at least 12s for your tyres.

Way too long to really consider an extra stop, especially as if you push hard to make up the time you'll destroy the tyres in no time at all. Better to just try to eke out an extra lap or two and get the one stop done

This is my story in the Mustang.

If I save fuel/tires (no slip) I can consistently do the first stint around the 2:30 a lap on mediums (brake bias all the way to the back to save the fronts) 7 laps. I can then take softs and save fuel and tires again for the remain laps. And do 2:28s till the finish roughly.

If I push hard with softs with a full fuel load at the start I’ll get maybe 3 laps at 2:27-28 before the tires are dead.

So I’m losing roughly two seconds a lap on the mediums when saving compared to pushing on the softs. For reference in the TT I do a low 2:25.

7 laps on the mediums means I’ve lost 14 seconds, let’s say 16 seconds to round up.

If I push I need to do an extra stop and load more fuel in. Which would be more than 16 seconds. Hence I’m going for one stop and hoping for some slipstream. Which isn’t too much to ask being in the Mustang. It’s far from the quickest.

*yawn*
Got bored 3 laps in. Started 8/17.
I pit from 5th or 6th, so I could do some racing, instead of being hitched on the TC Train. Finished 13/17.

You can if you exit qualy and go to the race entry screen by using the gear icon, and don't have to cancel your entry. That's what I got from famine's response. Of course if you go into 'overtime' in qualifying you don't get the option to exit and go into that screen
Ah yes of course, I forgot about that but as you mentioned not possible if set a time in 'overtime' which is when most people set their qualy lap, but if you really need to test a strategy you'll have to compromise

I don't normally rant about the penalty system, but man the last 2 races rankled so much I just have to vent here. I've done 400+ races, rarely get penalties but when I do I think it's been quite deserved (or even if not, I can sorta see why the game thinks I deserve it and move on). Twice now I've been divebombed on the inside, the person passed and I had to overbrake to avoid going off track and I am the one who got a penalty for colliding. Does the game think I'm trying to block them or what? It's like adding insult to injury.

Scenario 1(last season Gr.3 at Laguna)
- Going up to the corkscrew, the car ahead made a mistake in the fast left hander so I was gaining and pulled up alongside into the braking zone (he was on the right, I'm on the left)
- We both braked at around the same time, both cars are level at this point and I would've came out ahead due to being on the inside for the first left
- Another car from about 2-3 car lengths back (with fresher tyres than both of us) just completely dived on the inside of me (remember I still have the other car I was overtaking on my right)
- He gave me a tap and passed ahead. I braked extra because of the tap to avoid spearing off track and/or hitting the car on my right
- Went thru the corkscrew, no tyres on the dirt, no contact with the car on my right and got slapped with 3 second penalty for "colliding with another car"

Scenario 2 (current race Roadster T at RBR)
- Final lap going into T3 (the downhill tight hairpin), I was gaining on the car ahead (he had to save fuel whereas I had saved too much in the early part of the race and was now much faster on the straight)
- He went defensive on the inside (pretty much hugged the inside road completely, making his corner radius too tight potentially and I could just drive round the outside of him)
- I went to his left side to pin him and avoid him going wide and opening up the corner (no contact at this point)
- I braked a bit earlier than usual (because I'm on a tighter line), he also braked at the same point as me (which is too late because of how tight his radius is relative to mine)
- I turned in and gave one car space on the apex. Next thing I know, I was sliding straight towards the dirt (yup, my right door was being used as his brake)
- Now admittedly, my mistake is I left the MFD showing Fuel Map and forgot to switch to Radar in this situation. Otherwise I would just keep my car straight a bit longer and cutback.
- Had to go back full on brakes again and managed to keep it on track. Just. He slid off ahead of me a bit more and got on the outside kerb (tells you how much overspeed he had).
- I cutback and passed him while he recovered, and voila 1 second penalty for (you guessed it) "colliding with another car". He wasn't that far back so just passed me again on the penalty zone. Didn't wait, no apologies after the race and that was that.

Sorry for the rant but if anything, hopefully people can learn from this and avoid getting a penalty in similar situations 👍

Now I'm off to Kyalami in ACC to reset my mind for tomorrow's race :)

P.S. @05XR8 we could've had a nice little battle there if you hadn't pitted. Was fun while it lasted mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back