FORMULA 1 Emirats grosser preis von Deutschland 2018Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 350 comments
It is illegal for back markers, front markers are given special treatment.

As for the message to stop, looks like he kept going for a while.
Interesting. And yea he was going then stopped, then pushed again and eventually gave up

He had no choice, he lost all hydraulic power.
I'm referring to him pushing it. Are you too? I don't know anything about these cars in terms of that stuff, maybe that loss of hydraulic pressure makes the wheels harder to rotate?

So, we have Ricciardo at p20, for the various parts being swapped, and Hamilton at p15, for now.

I'm referring to him pushing it. Are you too? I don't know anything about these cars in terms of that stuff, maybe that loss of hydraulic pressure makes the wheels harder to rotate?

I was referring to how he kept driving despite being told to stop.
I think he went off on turn 7(does this turn have a pit exit line?) and kept going till turn 10.

Ericcson is roughly 0.7 seconds slow than Leclerc. They're in the same car. Clearly Leclerc is a better driver.

Ericcson is roughly 0.7 seconds slow than Leclerc. They're in the same car. Clearly Leclerc is a better driver.
Was this ever in doubt?

Though in all fairness to Ericsson, it’s probably similar to the Vandoorne/Alonso scenario

I think that Van Doorne has trouble figuring out what needs to be done to his car, perhaps caused by his lack of experience compared to Alonso.

1. It is still a mechanical sport.
2. Vettel can still have a brain fart and ruin a potential win.
3. There's also a Max who can get a bit too overconfident.
Not sure why you replied like that, but let’s go with it.
1. I know.
2. We’ll see, Vettel is FAR more collected this season than last.
3. I’m not sure Max will really play much into the championship, but I guess we’ll see... turn 1 is always interesting I guess

Not sure why you replied like that, but let’s go with it.
1. I know.
2. We’ll see, Vettel is FAR more collected this season than last.
3. I’m not sure Max will really play much into the championship, but I guess we’ll see... turn 1 is always interesting I guess

He actually makes valid points. What caused the Ferrari's to slip further away after the second half of last season was purely mechanical, and racing incidents. Not exactly because Merc were that much faster, in reality they weren't. Vettel is far more collected? You mean seems to be, as for if he actually is that depends, he's had quite a few run ins be it his fault or some one else so far. Which is what caused him to lose the lead and why he still hasn't driven away with it. The only reason it isn't worse is because his closest rivals have had their fair share of problems

Also when things go wrong this season the Red Bull drivers are usually there to pick up the pieces which is what he's talking about. Max is a very viable threat if the top two are napping, and after all the flak he's had this year he's put his head down in the last few races and got on with it.

As a general aside I have to say, people keep claiming that Hamilton has and attitude and so on and so forth and just doesn't have it. Which is confusing because I didn't see the same thing said last year when Vettel has his fair share during the second half of the season. Sure people claimed he was out of it post Baku, but even that was heat of the moment speculation.

I think Hamilton is actually quite well in it, but of course is disappointed in things out of his control, like three team errors this year losing him points, a few mechanical issues hurting both him and his team mate since the new engine upgrade. On track tangles with the Ferrari drivers. It's easy to say he doesn't seem to be in it, when things aren't going his way, even though in interviews like today he still tries to stay positive.

Really impressive by Charles given he had a braking issue to do Q3 time he did, great final couple corners by Valtteri. Ferrari are rapid. Going to be hard for Lewis on this track with cars being much closer, he needs to get lucky.

McLaren seem slowest in qualifying as I think if Alonso was in cars around him, he would be at least a tenth ahead of the likes of Sirotkin.

I’m pretty sure that if Bottas collects Vettel it will be just a mistake, not deliberate, incompetent, let alone a strategy :lol:
As for Hamilton, it seems like they hit that rough patch that Ferrari hit in the back end of last year (Singapore, Japan, Malaysia) will be interesting to see if they can recover. Especially if Seb wins tomorrow and can beat RBR in Hungary.
Edit: And to think how many points Seb has lost due to bad luck or mistakes (his or team’s) in beginning, impressive.

adb
I’m pretty sure that if Bottas collects Vettel it will be just a mistake, not deliberate, incompetent, let alone a strategy :lol:
As for Hamilton, it seems like they hit that rough patch that Ferrari hit in the back end of last year (Singapore, Japan, Malaysia) will be interesting to see if they can recover. Especially if Seb wins tomorrow and can beat RBR in Hungary.
Edit: And to think how many points Seb has lost due to bad luck or mistakes (his or team’s) in beginning, impressive.

I'm guessing LH will be wanting to go to Hungary as fast as possible since it's a track he meshes very well with. Though considering none of the other Hamilton favorites have yielded him wins this year, perhaps not. (Canada and GB for example)

Last edited:
What caused the Ferrari's to slip further away after the second half of last season was purely mechanical, and racing incidents. Not exactly because Merc were that much faster, in reality they weren't. Vettel is far more collected? You mean seems to be, as for if he actually is that depends, he's had quite a few run ins be it his fault or some one else so far.

Baku springs to mind. Last season Vettel made odd decisions which cost him.
This season Ferrari are also closer and ahead in places, to Merc... and like you pointed out in another post Merc have lost at two of Lewis’s best tracks and the teams strongest.

I agree with your later point about Hamilton, despite his hot brilliant results this season the fact he’s so far ahead of Bottas, despite his (and Bottas’s) luck is a testament to his abilities.

Back to the track though and it seems as though Lewis’s power steering had gone before he hit the kerbs...

Baku springs to mind. Last season Vettel made odd decisions which cost him.
This season Ferrari are also closer and ahead in places, to Merc... and like you pointed out in another post Merc have lost at two of Lewis’s best tracks and the teams strongest.

Yes I made note of that, and Vettel re-collected himself (for the rest of the season) and said it was a poor moment of judgement and to move on, he did. What actually cost him wasn't that because if you recall he actually finished ahead of Hamilton in that race. What cost him was stronger Merc performance into the rest of the European leg, and stronger reliability into the post summer second half. If anything Baku was just a bad press day for Ferrari and Vettel.

I agree with your later point about Hamilton, despite his hot brilliant results this season the fact he’s so far ahead of Bottas, despite his (and Bottas’s) luck is a testament to his abilities.

Exactly

Back to the track though and it seems as though Lewis’s power steering had gone before he hit the kerbs...

It'd be nice if him and Toto had their stories straight.

What actually cost him wasn't that because if you recall he actually finished ahead of Hamilton in that race.

Oh no I agree, but it was a moment of madness for Vettel, like Singapore and Mexico in 2016. This year he’s had non of these outbursts, even when things haven’t gone his way.

What did he say? I had to go out right after quali and haven’t been following much on social media just saw Lewis’s interview

Oh no I agree, but it was a moment of madness for Vettel, like Singapore and Mexico in 2016. This year he’s had non of these outbursts, even when things haven’t gone his way.

Yeah

What did he say? I had to go out right after quali and haven’t been following much on social media just saw Lewis’s interview

Toto was the one that claimed it was going over the bumps.

I thought it was accepted by both that the bumps caused the hydraulic problems - has Toto denied Hamiton's explanation that a steering problem put the car out there in the first place?

EDIT:

Further to this there has been some clarification from Mercedes: the hydraulic failure was the first event. That caused a significant change in the steering (as you'd expect) and is what took the car onto the bumps.

Sky
"We had the failure at Turn 1 as Lewis ran the "normal' kerb which all the drivers use in that stage of qualifying," a Mercedes spokesman explained.

"Then, with failed power steering as a result of the hydraulic failure, he had the "jumping" moments that were seen on TV and which people understandably thought might have been the cause of the issue - but were in fact a consequence of it."

Team boss Toto Wolff clarified: "It definitely wasn't Lewis' driving."

Last edited:
I think that Van Doorne has trouble figuring out what needs to be done to his car, perhaps caused by his lack of experience compared to Alonso.

In all fairness, McLaren and Alonso himself said there was something fundamentally wrong with Vandoorne's car. It produces less downforce than Alonso's according to their telemetry, even with setup adjustments. They, as in team as well as both drivers, don't know whats wrong with Stoffel's car and how to fix it. They'll most likely end up having to replace every bit on the car, starting with the chassis itself in the upcoming races.

I thought it was accepted by both that the bumps caused the hydraulic problems - has Toto denied Hamiton's explanation that a steering problem put the car out there in the first place?

EDIT:

Further to this there has been some clarification from Mercedes: the hydraulic failure was the first event. That caused a significant change in the steering (as you'd expect) and is what took the car onto the bumps.

So as you put it and as Hamilton later put it in a post quali interview, the bumps did not cause the failure. He said the steering was gone before the bumps happened and thus caused him to driver over the bumps as you've pointed out. However, before that it was construed by others at the track that Toto had said it was the bumps that caused the failure, thus seeming to blame Hamilton's driving. Which others latched on to, cause Hamilton.

Toto supposedly at the time didn't make it seem a steering fault caused the issue in the first place. Hamilton did, and this is what caused confusion for some.

So in other words reporters in the heat of the moment, grabbed the story and did a somewhat poor job explaining it.

Have to say, now I’ve wiped away the qualifying tears from my eyes, with Riccy and Lewis at the back, we could be in for a crack of a race... though I still think, given the Ferrari starts that Bottas will only manage p3 and Vettel will cruise away to an easy home win

Back