Forza Horizon 5 Rally Adventure Expansion

A clip, and some commentary I thought was appropriate 😛

The game has a ton of signposting (both metaphorical and literal) to the point that “pace notes” almost feel like window dressing 🤔

Lost me at veering off the road, jumping hundreds of feet, and landing in shrubs. Nothing new with this expansion - same gameplay as always, not even different trackside props. I had a sliver of hope of being excited about something FH related...ugh.

1679695825448.png

Darn, no preload.

Please be a million skill score, please.
@ManteoMax Is that “one million skill points” Achievement a typo or are we in for a multi-month grind? 🫠
The way they're using "bank" has me thinking it's a typo and it's indeed skill score.
Yes, it's happened on the Playlist before - a couple of times in fact - where "Points" is used when it should be "Score".

Odd that other sites haven't noticed it...

Its awful. Literally, more of the same bland lifeless desert, hills and cacti. 0 interesting unique locations. Carlist is a joke. Rally DLC with one rally car? Anyone exited about another Polaris, buggy or trophy track? Sooo much missed opportunities.

But it's not Baja racing. 2/3 is clearly classic rally with tarmac and mixed surface.
I appreciate that they didn’t go full 100% dirt like a proper Baja 1000 would, but that would have been impossible since they need to balance usability for players who want to race their super cars on the new map too.

What I meant is that the car list is clearly Baja 1000 style not WRC style. And they definitely don’t have a WRC license. So instead we get some dirt with the Baja 1000 vehicles and some tarmac for racing non-off-road vehicles in the broader context of the game.

the result is definitely not an ultra focused rally expansion, but thankfully for rally fans there are games like DiRT Rally 2, WRC Generations to satisfy this itch. FH5 needs to find a middle ground due to the broader player base.

but that would have been impossible since they need to balance usability for players who want to race their super cars on the new map too.

The expansion is literally called Rally Adventure if people take their track-ready supercars on it they should expect to have a hard time...

This kind of compromising to always keep kids and casuals in the loop is why Forza games aren't taken seriously anymore by motorsports fans

Horizon really isn't meant to taken seriously by motorsport fans. It is easy to get into and enjoyable for most skill groups. It's a great stepping stone into motorsport sims.
You can keep things enjoyable for everybody without neutering the race disciplines for example on Rally Adventure there should be no minimap not even an option to turn it on

You can keep things enjoyable for everybody without neutering the race disciplines for example on Rally Adventure there should be no minimap not even an option to turn it on
That would make it less accessible and less enjoyable for most inexperienced players, which btw there are a lot of. Either way you can turn the map and hud off, its always an option for more experienced players.

That doesn't make it enjoyable for people who are new and need or want the minimap, it does the opposite.

Its awful. Literally, more of the same bland lifeless desert, hills and cacti. 0 interesting unique locations. Carlist is a joke. Rally DLC with one rally car? Anyone exited about another Polaris, buggy or trophy track? Sooo much missed opportunities.
It is not awful. It's only awful because you treat it as such. The world is actually engaging with how much flow and elevation there is on the map. There is also a great belance between asphalt and dirt, as well as areas which adds to the scenery. Hell, there's even tight and twisty turns all over the place that beats most of the base map by a mile imo, because it doesn't rely on just going fast. The cars isn't for everybody but who cares? If turbos are available just put anti lag, they become a blast afterwards. Imagination I know.

For me, this Rally expansion gives me Sega Rally vibes, but that is not just my high praise for it. The praise is the replayability compared to the Hot Wheels expansion. The fact that it focuses more on handling, rather than on speed, is what adds to that replayability IMO. Plus I LOVE rallying. This expansion is obviously not to be seriously, but usual there are many who are on the opposite spectrum when it comes to Horizon games. It's no wonder many at Playground Games are leaving. I'd leave too if people said my creations are "awful".

OK, I admit defeat. I'm turning the racing line back on otherwise I'm not gonna gold those rally stages all week. :dunce: Sod the authentic rally experience. :lol:

It's great, though, that the expansion offers a variable level of challenge for players at different skill levels so you can tweak the game for the most enjoyable experience. That's what the franchise has been about from day one.

Last edited:
It is not awful. It's only awful because you treat it as such.
There is high standard for Horizon expansion. Every expansion was unique experience - in gameplay, scenery, progression, car list. Even second Hot Wheels expansion has some cool ideas.

For whatever reason people like you lowering the bar for Horizon. Playground just sold me lazy copy/paste mess instead of proper expansion and I am not happy with it.

Most infuriating thing is that they have tech and opportunities to do it right. Even this map could be great if they put some effort and seasonal changes into it.

After playing it for a good 6 hours I'm really happy. Why? Because finally I can enjoy racing D, C an B classes. Although I used a lot of B on the main map it still felt rather slow. Now it fits perfectly.
I would love more rally cars but my garage have already so many lower class rally cars that were barely used. I needed this map more than anything.
Was also surprised how hard is to beat Alex even on Expert. Got smoked on Unbeatable really hard. Having both Rally mode and Racing mode helps too. Will definitely take it slow and drive as many different cars I can.

There is high standard for Horizon expansion. Every expansion was unique experience - in gameplay, scenery, progression, car list. Even second Hot Wheels expansion has some cool ideas.

For whatever reason people like you lowering the bar for Horizon. Playground just sold me lazy copy/paste mess instead of proper expansion and I am not happy with it.

Most infuriating thing is that they have tech and opportunities to do it right. Even this map could be great if they put some effort and seasonal changes into it.
There are seasonal changes. The announcement made by Playground themselves stated that the biomes will change with the seasons and have weather just like on the main map. It's an odd thing to say that when it hasn't even been playable long enough to have a season change.

Last edited:
I love how bumpy these roads are, and the desert is so lush and colorful. It reminds me of Arizona, which is probably my favorite state to drive through irl.
I'm definitely getting some FH1 vibes from it especially with the new hard rock music soundtrack playing in the background. Although that was Colorado rather than AZ.

Last edited:
Back