Forza Horizon (NEW SCREEN SHOTS)

Where did you find out that the map will be 64 sq. miles?
Oops its 63 sq miles not 64 sq miles. Posted by Carlos in this thread we are in right now on September 13th. Post #269

2d485644.jpg

You know what, we've got a part of that in the demo. I'll just drive some of the roads and measure how long I'll have ti drive at a specific speed. We'll see whether that's actually acurate or not.

More fun for everyone! Hopefully.

It's still processing so no 720p yet, if that matters to anyone.

Why must T10 cripple their rather capable graphics engine with such a subdued, yellow color pallete and weak, weak contrast and blacks. I don't understand it. I took this picture,

52244_475535799135999_1143303094_o.jpg

which looked especially drab and non-photo-realistic, and just reduced the color temperature a little (slightly cooler) increased the black levels a little, and gave it slightly more contrast and vibrance. Nothing that, presumably, T10 couldn't do in game. The result is this:

01-5.jpg

Now something along those lines might not be to everyone's taste, but there are any number of ways that T10 could tweak the graphics to have more balls. They just look so cartoony and weak the way they are.

Edit:
Another example:
51788_475181962504716_1423923854_o.jpg

vs.

delta.jpg

Might just be my laptop's monitor, but those edited shots look way overdone on it. If anything, they look "artistic".

Realistic pics? Look no further than the two first on this page ;)

Yeah your edits aren't magnificent, you've overdone it in saturation and contrast, the FH pics look fine, they aren't meant to be arty, they are meant to showcase each car with as much detail as possible

Also...your TV has adjustments. And will probably look different to begin with. ;)
True. Took my Xbox to a friend's appartment and FM4 looks tremenduously different on his TV. Luckily, my TV adjusts depending on the input device and I've configured the "Xbox channel" specifically for FM4 :lol:

The game really isn't that yellow. It's the autumn(y) setting and the fact most screens are taken at dusk or dawn. In the car reveal photos I don't see the 'wee wee' filter that's so popular to hate atm.

If it looked yellow at night then I'd be worried, thankfully it doesn't :lol:

Yeah your edits aren't magnificent, you've overdone it in saturation and contrast, the FH pics look fine, they aren't meant to be arty, they are meant to showcase each car with as much detail as possible
Also keep in mind the screen shots that are exported from the game have NEVER looked as good as the true in game pics. This has always been a problem with the Forza picture export system. The pics get decompressed quite a bit to be uploaded to the site. They still look good, but look much better in game. I had a thread about this a while back comparing pics exported to pics taken right off the tv, huge difference in quality.

More fun for everyone! Hopefully.

It's still processing so no 720p yet, if that matters to anyone.

How the hell did you get to this area?!?! I completed the demo and just free roamed with the Lancer, but I never got to this place! That tunnel is SICK!

Finish the cell tower Viper race and run it as a rivals event. That turn off is right before the finish line, on your left hand side.

You're welcome. I fancy firing it up again this evening to play around with that tunnel.

All I'm saying is that the default graphics (FM1, 2, 3 included) are flat, dreary, and dull. 4 was much better. But Horizon seems to go back to FM3-level color pallet. My edits were maybe a minute apiece and probably exaggerated to get my message across, but I still think they can do better than what they are giving us. I have a 42" Panasonic plasma, and the game still looks dull to me...

To be honest, those images really didnt get anything across. The over use of the filters/settings you used made it less attractive in my opinion.

I have two saved settings on my T.V. One for taking photos in FM4, so its matched completely to how the photos look when I upload them. The other is for gaming for every other game.. Vivid colors, nice blacks, and a bit more contrast>brightness. Using my second T.V setting it looked great.

Lets not get dragged into petty arguments here, screenshots never represent a games graphical quality no matter how good your settings on your tv are. I am Impressed with play grounds first attempt, lets not forget this is a new studio. I think a lot of fun is to be had with horizon, I'll get my serious racing done in forza 4.

I played the demo. In terms of realism, I was not impressed one bit, the physics feel nothing like FM4. In fact, it feels exactly like NFS. If you're going in expecting a sim like I did, you'll be sorely disappointed. However, treating it like an arcade racer, the game has it all. I enjoyed every bit of the game, the events are awesome and the graphics are slick. I still think attempting to compete with Most Wanted is insane, its obvious Most Wanted will be a better seller. But I will pick this up in December.

If Horizon feels like NFS to you than it's rather obvious you've either A. Never played an NFS game before, or B. You're overreacting because you went in expecting something that was never promised to be entirely there.

And whether or not Most Wanted outsells this is entirely irrelevant as, once again, sales do not equate to a better game.

I played the demo. In terms of realism, I was not impressed one bit, the physics feel nothing like FM4. In fact, it feels exactly like NFS. If you're going in expecting a sim like I did, you'll be sorely disappointed. However, treating it like an arcade racer, the game has it all. I enjoyed every bit of the game, the events are awesome and the graphics are slick. I still think attempting to compete with Most Wanted is insane, its obvious Most Wanted will be a better seller. But I will pick this up in December.

I'm going to quote something. It's been quoted before I bet. It's been discussed I bet. But I bet people will still say it feels like NFS.

Quoting the Don
"The cars seem to handle a bit differently than in FM4? Not a big surprise, for a few reasons... number one being that FM4 is on racetrack tarmac, and FH is not. Tarmac has different properties than asphalt, cement, dirt, gravel, grass, combinations of, etc, etc, etc. Of *course* the handling will not match FM4".

If Horizon feels like NFS to you than it's rather obvious you've either A. Never played an NFS game before, or B. You're overreacting because you went in expecting something that was never promised to be entirely there.

And whether or not Most Wanted outsells this is entirely irrelevant as, once again, sales do not equate to a better game.

Well, exactly like NFS is overreacting a bit. But in saying that I guess Playground watered down the physics to appeal to new Forza fans, so theres something about Horizon that isn't 100% simulation, and no game in this generation of consoles can provide 100% simulation. But that didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the game at all. I did say I liked Horizon as an arcade title, and I probably will like it as a sim too, it just needs time for me.

...I guess Playground watered down the physics to appeal to new Forza fans, so theres something about Horizon that isn't 100% simulation, and no game in this generation of consoles can provide 100% simulation...

Ok, Not sure if this is the place for this, but here goes anyway. *rant on*

Lets talk about simulation. The common term used to describe the quality of a simulation is "fidelity". From Wikipedia, "In the fields of scientific modelling and simulation, fidelity refers to the degree to which a model or simulation reproduces the state and behaviour of a real world object, feature or condition." That said, lets talk about the fidelity of various driving simulators.

Maybe this F1 simulator that Top Gear talked about is a good example of simulator fidelity. Even it has limitations in that it can only instantaneously give you up to 2G of lateral accleration cueing and then sustain about 3/4G. Want to step things up a notch? Try this simulator at the NASA Ames research facility... It's not for driving, but maybe... Does anyone have the phone number to NASA??

Suppose I drove a car around a racetrack, and that car was equipped with a set of instrumentation to measure the steering wheel angle, steering wheel force, pedal positions, pedal forces, vehicle attitude and attitude rates (pitch, roll and yaw) and a variety of other parameters. Then Turn 10 built a computer program such that when identical inputs (wheel, pedal, etc.) were sent to the computer, the "simulated car" did exactly what the real car did, to the tenth of a degree and a tenth of a G.

THAT would be a good "100% simulation", right? Maybe not! What if you couldn't drive it, because that "perfect" simulator didn't provide you all the proprioceptive and peripheral vision cues that are present on a real track in a real car. It would most likely be uncontrollable! That wouldn't be much fun, and there would no doubt be a thousand people in an online forum complaining that "the physics are terrible" and "this feels arcadey" and such nonsense...

I could go down this road a long, long way, but suffice it to say: This Horzon Video Game looks like a really fun game, and it appears to model vehicle dynamics with sufficient fidelity to be both challenging and accesible, based on the dificulty settings selected by the user.

I think I just might buy it.

*Rant off*

No really, I love you guys, but I can only take so much...

I'm gonna keep in-depth discussion to the demo physics thread, but I want to mention that I handed the Mustang over to a non-gamer and she could hardly make it down a straightaway without steering assist enabled. With steering assist she could drive anything in the game reasonably well -- a testament to Forza's accessibility.

After a while, she kinda got the hang of the Mustang with the braking and steering assists off (everything else on), but it was still a tire-spinning pinball affair. This is no NFS, guys.

After release I bet there will be players complaining that driving should be easier. Maybe not in this forum.

Back