Gran Turismo 6 Save Data Exposed... Open To Hackers / Modders?

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 470 comments
I think it's closer to:

Cheating in GT6= BAD

Unrealistic modding in GT6= ANNOYING

Realistic modding in GT6= Ok, I guess
See, there we go. Positive. The people who are all scared and dont want hacking will end up getting hacked cars.

I'm wondering if a saved hack will allow me to enable standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, have a full grid with 16 cars, and choose cars & tires for each AI opponent in arcade mode.
I'd love to play proper races in GT6, I hate those dumb bs catch-up races.

I was under the impression that the extra layer of encryption put into the save games was broken shortly after release. It's just that those people who entertain themselves with these things decided not to make it publicly known.

Current modding practice (in the sense that there are easy-to-use 3rd-party tools) for GT6 effectively involves modifying values in memory whilst the game is running, and then the game is prodded into saving that. Some of it (actually, I think a lot of it) doesn't stick, due to internal checking of limits or invalid values etc.

All that PD need to really do is apply those same checks to when the data is loaded out of the save, and any changes made directly to the save will be limited in scope in exactly the same way that direct memory mods are.

The only drawback, if it is one, is that such save mods would work on any platform (which is already possible if you happen to know a friendly CFW user who can make a modded save for you), so that anyone with a PS3 could potentially make use of it (instead of only Custom FirmWare users).

Notice that there is no real proliferation of modded saves, either. This is because the community has become more guarded (some would say selfish) due to all the pitchforks last time. Standard stuff: thing gets publicly vilified, thing gets driven "underground".

Can't wait for this LOL.
meme2016947648_zpsmbw2vz4m.jpeg

Well, at least PD took away trading so the issue of people having unreasonably fast cars will probably not be as wide-spread. I barely play the game, so it doesn't really affect me all too much. I think people are really blowing this out of proportion.

I'm still confused what this whole thing actually is.
It's a screenshot of some tool used to collect pairs of things the game refers to and their associated values; this information is purportedly obtained from a GT6 save file. That means the extra layer of encryption has been broken (which was already known); more than that, its contents are already being deciphered (which was also already known).

When this happened for GT5, a few modding tools appeared that allowed for modification of the cars in the garage and other things, well beyond the scope allowable in the game. The implication is that this means the same for GT6.

A few things have changed since then, though. There was talk of releasing public tools for all players only once the game was being played by much fewer people (e.g. long after its release). The breaking of the GT6 save encryption has already weathered 8 months of badgering from impatient would-be "hackers", so that seems likely to continue.

It's a screenshot of some tool used to collect pairs of things the game refers to and their associated values; this information is purportedly obtained from a GT6 save file. That means the extra layer of encryption has been broken (which was already known); more than that, its contents are already being deciphered (which was also already known).

When this happened for GT5, a few modding tools appeared that allowed for modification of the cars in the garage and other things, well beyond the scope allowable in the game. The implication is that this means the same for GT6.

A few things have changed since then, though. There was talk of releasing public tools for all players only once the game was being played by much fewer people (e.g. long after its release). The breaking of the GT6 save encryption has already weathered 8 months of badgering from impatient would-be "hackers", so that seems likely to continue.
I don't see the issue then. Just set a hp/pp limit in your room and voila.

*Too many words* *Skips reading*

I think I can sum up what you said there:

GT6's encryption layer has been
decrypted or "hacked".

------------------------------

Yep, that'd work. (Unless they hack PP or something...then there is a "Kick Player" button! 💡)

Sometimes the cars are so ridiculously hacked, the PP goes negative. And the advantage gained by the cheater can also be non-hp or PP related, like changing the car's drivetrain or downforce as mentioned previously.

...then there is a "Kick Player" button! 💡)
Sometimes the cars are so ridiculously hacked, the PP goes negative. And the advantage gained by the cheater can also be non-hp or PP related, like changing the car's drivetrain or downforce as mentioned previously.

I almost think it's a benefit. Hack a few million in just to buy a few cars you will never ever save 20million for.

I almost think it's a benefit. Hack a few million in just to buy a few cars you will never ever save 20million for.

A lot of people see it that way, including myself. Personally, I use hybriding tools to make "dream" cars. My first is going to be a 4WD BRZ with a flat 6 Subaru or RUF engine and IS-F or Genesis gearbox, which I'll use for cruising and hot laps 👍

A lot of people see it that way, including myself. Personally, I use hybriding tools to make "dream" cars. My first is going to be a 4WD BRZ with a flat 6 Subaru or RUF engine and IS-F or Genesis gearbox, which I'll use for cruising and hot laps 👍
NASCAR cars with special base paint like the other race cars. Pink Tony Stewart just for lulz

This is great news. A new feature for GT6, albeit not one from PD. Hey, they've had nine months to put their features into the game, I'm glad someone else did something interesting.

Maybe it'll be fun enough that GT6 will stay in the PS3 for more than half an hour this time.

Back