Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
No, it won't lose players to iRacing. Most of GT's audience wouldn't even consider iRacing.
Agreed, I don't think there is much direct competition between Gran Turismo Sport and iRacing at all. They are very different games on different platforms. I also doubt many people purchased a racing rig for GT Sport, most of the few people who do have one will have several uses for it, not just one. That's not to say no one who has GT Sport will also also have iRacing, there will be some people who have both but they likely don't complete with each other for any meaningful share of a consumer base.

Agreed, I don't think there is much direct competition between Gran Turismo Sport and iRacing at all. They are very different games on different platforms. I also doubt many people purchased a racing rig for GT Sport, most of the few people who do have one will have several uses for it, not just one. That's not to say no one who has GT Sport will also also have iRacing, there will be some people who have both but they likely don't complete with each other for any meaningful share of a consumer base.

I think you are wrong here. Many people were persuaded into buying a rig for GT Sport by GT Sport, more than you think, including me.

Last edited:
Would be nice to know what exactly PD are trying to perfect, to give us the best GT experience ever.
Dunno? Long delay doesn't necessarily mean best GT experience, like GT5 having numerous glaring flaws after the longest wait. While unlike blind cynics, I acknowledge PD's issues at that time (even if they didn't exactly worked towards that well), and that now it seems that PD doesn't have console development issues, the thing that will hinder PD and the end product is probably the Coronavirus now. And GTS was lacking as well in its first release after long reveal and delay.

Would be nice to know what exactly PD are trying to perfect, to give us the best GT experience ever.
Probably trying to perfect the menu layering and selection confirmation system to make UI navigation as difficult as possible.

I think you are wrong here. Many people were persuaded into buying a rig for GT Sport by GT Sport, more than you think, including me.
Depends what one means by 'many'! ;) In comparison to how many games have been sold, 8m+, a few thousand (for example) buying rigs may not be significantly 'many'. ;)

It would be interesting to know how many have bought rigs, and indeed how many people actually use wheels too to play GT Sport, or any GT games over the years.

Agreed. Too expensive, too demanding, abysmal production value, and I can't speak for the kids of today but iRacing has no historical sentiment to me. Even Forza can't touch that despite all its extra features.

Really? Too expensive? People,are spending over $1500 on DD wheels, is that not considered expensive? When I get my DD I probably won't want to wait around for GT7, thats why my wife is going to build a gaming PC for me.

Depends what one means by 'many'! ;) In comparison to how many games have been sold, 8m+, a few thousand (for example) buying rigs may not be significantly 'many'. ;)

It would be interesting to know how many have bought rigs, and indeed how many people actually use wheels too to play GT Sport, or any GT games over the years.

You would also have to define what you consider a GT player. Is it the person who turns the game on once a week for 30 minutes at a time and never races online or is it the person who spends hours a week racing online since the game was released. Judging by stats you will have 2 vastly different user bases, the majority of people who play this game never race online, I wouldn't expect them to buy a wheel.

Do you have figures to reflect that? Given the fact that the huge majority of racing game players use a game pad and do not even own a wheel I find it quite unrealistic that many people purchased a wheel & rig just for GT Sport and of those that do have a rig and GT Sport I would expect most don't have it just for GT Sport.

Last edited:
Really? Too expensive? People,are spending over $1500 on DD wheels, is that not considered expensive? When I get my DD I probably won't want to wait around for GT7, thats why my wife is going to build a gaming PC for me.
Relative to the enjoyment you get out of it, yes iRacing, a driving rig, and the PC are much too expensive for most gamers. Years of fun and competitive racing can be had for less than $400 with a Playstation and GT, while after buying all the cars and tracks you can spend $1000 just on iRacing itself and another $2000 on the hardware easily. That might sound great to a hardcore fan who wants to dedicate themselves to that game and that platform but most gamers of the world have varied interests and even spending $100 on a game and DLC is a big purchase. Hell I don't even have all the DLC for games like Total War because they don't add enough value to the core game, I'll be damned if I'm putting hundreds of hours into iRacing just to buy the tracks I want.

As for spending that much on daily wheels, been there done that. Wasting all that money was part of learning the value of a dollar.

Last edited:
You would also have to define what you consider a GT player. Is it the person who turns the game on once a week for 30 minutes at a time and never races online or is it the person who spends hours a week racing online since the game was released. Judging by stats you will have 2 vastly different user bases, the majority of people who play this game never race online, I wouldn't expect them to buy a wheel.
You can only determine a player as a person who owns and plays the game. No one can arbitrarily decide only people who race online every day are players or pluck an amount of gme time out of thin air to decide these people don't play enough.

The vast majority of gamers are casual gamers, that doesn't mean they aren't gamers and therefore they don't count. If anything they count the most because if the vast majority (the casual gamers) aren't interested, then your game will probably be niche and likely not sell in huge numbers.

Last edited:
Dunno? Long delay doesn't necessarily mean best GT experience, like GT5 having numerous glaring flaws after the longest wait. While unlike blind cynics, I acknowledge PD's issues at that time (even if they didn't exactly worked towards that well), and that now it seems that PD doesn't have console development issues, the thing that will hinder PD and the end product is probably the Coronavirus now. And GTS was lacking as well in its first release after long reveal and delay.
It's their words I was using. I'd just like to know, is it tyre model, damage, weather, AI, car details, trees, track ambience, car modifications, Scapes, Livery Editor, music, the music tones as we press 'X' and 'O' on the D-pad, heptic feedback, avatars, Arcade Mode, Simulation Mode, Sport Mode, licence/school/mission tests?
I'm wondering what is the one thing they are trying to perfect, because indeed, we know it ain't everything.

Last edited:
music, the music tones as we press 'X' and 'O' on the D-pad
Really doubt music is one of them, as at-home studios can be done easily. At least for a certain rock artist. *cough*

But if I had to guess, the "critical aspects" the PR rep was referring to are most likely weather, car/track details, car mods, and Scapes. At least the latter three require traveling outside of Japan. Plus bug fixes and general polishing as that's really critical in the final few months of development, especially if PD's employees are indeed stuck in poor housing and with poor Internet to get things done. =/

The PR rep also did say it was a "dynamic and changing situation," though, so... if the pandemic ends this summer, they could still try and get it out by December at the very least. But don't quote me on that. >_>;

Well, that's one. I don't think one counts as "many".

Considering that a huge percentage of GTS players aren't taking it seriously enough to even try the online mode the game is named after I think you'll have an uphill struggle to try and prove that any significant number of players bought a rig after they owned GTS, let alone that GTS was a deciding factor in their purchase.

Relative to the enjoyment you get out of it, yes iRacing, a driving rig, and the PC are much too expensive for most gamers. Years of fun and competitive racing can be had for less than $400 with a Playstation and GT, while after buying all the cars and tracks you can spend $1000 just on iRacing itself and another $2000 on the hardware easily. That might sound great to a hardcore fan who wants to dedicate themselves to that game and that platform but most gamers of the world have varied interests and even spending $100 on a game and DLC is a big purchase. Hell I don't even have all the DLC for games like Total War because they don't add enough value to the core game, I'll be damned if I'm putting hundreds of hours into iRacing just to buy the tracks I want.

As for spending that much on daily wheels, been there done that. Wasting all that money was part of learning the value of a dollar.
Yes, the average consumer wants value and home consoles provide just that. It's for this reason that GT will always be more popular than hardcore simulators. Interest in racing games has decreased but there's still an audience and if GT7 can capture it, they will sell millions of copies.

I think it's a good idea as it gt team has time to work on the game more
Exactly, and perhaps the cars of GT7 could be even larger than we thought, especially thanks to the outsourcing. Maybe somewhere around 700 to 1,000 just with less duplicate models to such an extent like the PS2 era.

And another is the refining of game modes such as the career/simulation mode (hopefully Arcade Mode as well where we can use every car in the game as a rental/courtesy car instead of just only less than 1% of all the cars in the game. Luckily the option to use cars from our Garage can also stay, always good to have more options).

Well, that's one. I don't think one counts as "many".

Considering that a huge percentage of GTS players aren't taking it seriously enough to even try the online mode the game is named after I think you'll have an uphill struggle to try and prove that any significant number of players bought a rig after they owned GTS, let alone that GTS was a deciding factor in their purchase.

Honestly gt sport gutted its online for me once they went weekly rather than daily.

Honestly they cpuld have offered race e and d even a endurance one. Only a, b and c thats about it.

Exactly, and perhaps the cars of GT7 could be even larger than we thought, especially thanks to the outsourcing. Maybe somewhere around 700 to 1,000 just with less duplicate models to such an extent like the PS2 era.

And another is the refining of game modes such as the career/simulation mode (hopefully Arcade Mode as well where we can use every car in the game as a rental/courtesy car instead of just only less than 1% of all the cars in the game. Luckily the option to use cars from our Garage can also stay, always good to have more options).
Won't you think that Coronavirus will hinder the progression even if PD doesn't have console problems? Which could make GT7 end product like GT5.

Won't you think that Coronavirus will hinder the progression even if PD doesn't have console problems? Which could make GT7 end product like GT5.

Gt5 took long because the ps3 was a nightmare not to mention how GT5 literally tried to fit in so much on a console that was a nightmare to work with.

Gt5 tried to become the jack of all trades. I dont think GT7 will end up like this. GT7 wont take like 5 years.

GT7 wont take like 5 years.
Apparently, given the timeline, if development for GT7 started as soon as the release of GT Sport (2017), it would take around nearly five years (2022) since it's releasing next year (hopefully).

Another is that it would be the series' 25th anniversary (not to mention GT6 was marketed as a 15th anniversary release despite it being released in 2013).

Apparently, given the timeline, if development for GT7 started as soon as the release of GT Sport (2017), it would take around nearly five years (2022) since it's releasing next year (hopefully).

Another is that it would be the series' 25th anniversary (not to mention GT6 was marketed as a 15th anniversary release despite it being released in 2013).

There is concepts, prototypes along with testing before they fully work on the game.

GT5 didn't take five years either then if you want to go down that route.

Well it depends to be honest I believe it took 5 years. GT5 was revealed as GT HD in 2006 then it morphed into GT5 prologue then into full GT5.

5 years of development and the game evolved.

Well it depends to be honest I believe it took 5 years. GT5 was revealed as GT HD in 2006 then it morphed into GT5 prologue then into full GT5.

5 years of development and the game evolved.

So why are you not applying the same process to GT7? Doesn't matter what they're doing or what it's called at the time, it's development on the next game. Plus if anything development would've started before GTS even released, given the different direction on that one.

The Ray-tracing looked very ugly and broken in some parts of the trailer like a shattered mirror.

Gonna take them some time to optimize it and get it right, they've had the technology for it during GT Sports development which used it Baked.

So who here really believes GT7 will actually be released in 2022?
The smart money is still on 2023.

We have literally nothing to go on other than precedence. We have no idea what state of development they're in. As such, nobody can make an educated guess or place "smart money".

Last edited:
Gt5 took long because the ps3 was a nightmare not to mention how GT5 literally tried to fit in so much on a console that was a nightmare to work with.

Gt5 tried to become the jack of all trades. I dont think GT7 will end up like this. GT7 wont take like 5 years.
That's what I'm saying, GT5 took long due to PS3 being nightmare to work with, but I think the Coronavirus can also hinder PD's work even if the console isn't nightmare to work with?

Back