Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
Well, well well, look at what we have here, not surprising to see it delayed but hopefully it's only until the Q1 of 2022. The game has to be certified Gold standard and well polished before I even go anywhere near it PD. The whole world has been shook by the pandemic so it's not like PD can magically whip up a new game with the relevant legwork and data needed to make those well rendered cars look as good and shiny as they do in GT7.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed in Sony's marketing dept to flog GT7's Rendered trailer to the masses in Sony's livestream reveal only to not forecast the difficulties they would face making this title with PD and delaying the game almost indefinitely at this point in time. You coulda shown the trailer this year instead, why Kaz, why? :indiff:

I really wanted to play a new GT game and get back into this type of racing, and a bit of E-sports, as I was using other games genres (beat em' ups, adventure games, flying games, etc) to kill the time. Right now the PS5 racing games catalogue is pretty slim pickings to say the least and I need a good sim like racer like many of us here to enjoy.

It's very sad to hear to have to wait until 2022, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles....:banghead:

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if GT7 is released by the end of 2022. I’ve stated this before and I’ll say it once more; won’t be expecting anything other than another mid-gen GT (Covid not included).

Good news is that most of us might be able to get hold of a PS5 by then.

I don't think Covid was the main factor TBH. Nearly every GT game in history has been delayed and some of them multiple times. I always thought 2021 was extremely optimistic given PD's history. Fine by me, I'd rather they release it when it's as ready as possible.

I'm glad it's delayed too especially after that gameplay showing where it literally just looks like a high-res gtsport. But if GT7 were to release holiday of this year, it would have had the same development time as GTSport, ~4 years. GT5 was the only Gran Turismo that had a significantly long production cycle of around 5 years, and that was because of the difficulties of PS3 hardware where the specs made it look like some gameplay/graphical features were possible (dynamic time and weather), but ended up being very difficult to achieve.

Whether or not a delay was announced isn't a factor or something that "must" occur because it's PD though, the important part is the development time frame. If GT7 had released this year it wouldn't have had an unordinary shorter development time than the other titles.

Covid has impacted the entire industry, and in Japan it's been more difficult because the sophisticated machines artists and programmers use for development aren't easily taken home where space tend to be small and compact. Nintendo has spoken about how its affected development for their titles, as well as Square Enix. This isn't a PD problem.

SE in oct 2020: https://www.ft.com/content/6cf00e94-efad-41c5-a1e4-a16808cde772

The head of the Japanese games group behind the hit Final Fantasy series has warned that Covid-19 has caused “time to stand still” on production of new titles, threatening to undermine the boost the industry enjoyed after global lockdowns. Yosuke Matsuda, chief executive of Square Enix, told the Financial Times in an interview that while the $145bn sector had benefited from people spending more time at home due to coronavirus lockdowns, social distancing restrictions had hit development pipelines for new games. “There is also a considerable impact on the production side. It will resonate in the future. What we are selling now may have provided some positive aspects, but on the negative side time has stood still in terms of production. We couldn't develop anything. That is where the impact will come,” said Mr Matsuda, whose company has annual revenues of $2.5bn. The blunt assessment from one of the Japanese gaming sector’s most senior executives differs to the rosier picture so far painted by other leading industry figures. It suggests that the current game release schedules focused around the hyped November launches of Sony and Microsoft’s next-generation consoles may be in jeopardy.
Nintendo in May 2020 https://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo...will-have-a-large-impact-on-game-development/

During the call, representative director and president Shuntaro Furukawa talked about the impact of COVID-19 on both the production of Nintendo's hardware and game development. While Nintendo expressed that it's hopeful that the impact on manufacturing will subside to some degree by the summer if the situation isn't prolonged or worsens, working from home is expected to have a "large impact".

"As for game development being done remotely, since there are indeed big limitations on what can be done from home, we do think this will have a large impact," Furukawa said. "Nintendo has development partners and development offices not just in Japan, but all over the world. The first locations to be affected were the offices in Europe and America, where working from home started early. Then our offices in Japan also switched to working from home. In the case of Japan, this had a major impact on development because we did not already have a remote development environment in place."​

Last edited:
So I guess now we enter the "Pretend it was never announced, nothing to see here" phase. We've seen it before with delays like this for other games and movies that only have a small teaser so far. With release so far off there is no reason to promote it and run new trailers, it's too far out to build hype. So they just ignore it entirely for a while. I mean, they've essentially been doing that the past few months anyway.

Then they just "re-announce" the game a year down the line as if it's totally newly revealed and start the promo from scratch.

In short, don't expect to see or hear anything on GT7 until the end of the year at the very earliest, maybe even early 2022. Depends on when in 2022 they're targetting, but I can't see it being any earlier than March.

EDIT: Oh also can't help but continue to chortle at those who looked at the initial trailer with menus as a sign the game could be ready by holiday 2020. Oh boy were they wrong, as we kept trying to tell them.
If it wasn't for Covid-19 we would have had GT7 game to play right now but with the circumstanced in the world at the moment, the delay was always on the cards for GT7 anyway.

Last edited:
No surprise. But not worth getting wound up about.

It's not as if GTS is an empty desert.

Might also try and get into ACC on the Ps4 pro. Bought it, drove a few laps but haven't found the time to really get into it. This might give me the push although I am worried there's a steep learning curve

NOOOOOOOOO!

Oh well, I can't even buy a PS5 anywhere anyway...at least I don't need to buy one this year now anyway! Although...R+C. Going back to my other point when are we ever gonna get another decent racing game this year...

NOOOOOOOOO!

Oh well, I can't even buy a PS5 anywhere anyway...at least I don't need to buy one this year now anyway! Although...R+C. Going back to my other point when are we ever gonna get another decent racing game this year...
F1 2021 maybe? but i understand your point, more than like a yearly game.

Last edited:
Disappointed but not terribly surprised. Hopefully very early 2022

The Democrats have had the White House for 34 days, and this is what we get. Thanks Obama Biden.

This would never have happened under Bill Clintons administration. There were no delayed Gran Turismos under his leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had to delete liveries lately in GTS because I'm running up against the limit for designs and also delete photos because I'm running up against that limit as well. I need more livery storage on GTS to keep going another year or more.

I'm just over here like "Take my money" but nobody wants it right now. Hopefully 2020 doesn't last 2 years but I do have plenty of racing games to fall back on. I've decided to jump off the hype train for all upcoming games until they actually release. Life continues on.

Meh, it's happened before. Not all that surprised. So in the meantime would it be so wrong to ask for some new content for GT Sport, never hurts to ask. :)

This is a good thing, i'd rather wait for a better, more polished product. Also i might just be able to get a PS5 by then. I just hope we can get some content for GT Sport to hold us off until then.

Got to see every message so far - how did GT7 get delayed, if in the first place It wasn't publicly announced that it was coming in 2021 aside from little ads that showed the same gameplay over again? and come to think of it, 2021 wasn't a realistic launch date tbh.

Also why do you care if it's "delayed", if most of you cannot get the PS5 due to stock on this year? I congratulate to everyone who had bought it at 399$ - 499$ :lol:

Last edited:
Got to see every message so far - how did GT7 get delayed, if in the first place It wasn't publicly announced that it was coming in 2021 aside from little ads that showed the same gameplay over again? and come to think of it, 2021 wasn't a realistic launch date tbh.
In terms of official release dates, yes, technically it's not delayed because it never had one. The wording of the Sony statement also seems extremely carefully chosen to avoid mentioning a "delay".

However, if Sony's original plan was a 2021 launch date (and it seemed fairly set on it, with advertising throughout the last six months all landing on "anticipated", "expected", "coming" in various parts of 2021) and it now won't meet that, I'm not really sure what better word there is than "delayed". At least we can say it's internally delayed.

Last edited:
This would never have happened under Bill Clintons administration. There were no delayed Gran Turismos under his leadership.
Gran Turismo 2 was delayed several months in Japan, then the US date was officially delayed about a week before it was supposed to ship from its early December release to just before Christmas.

Not surprising, but nice to know at least. It would be better if information came directly from PD so that they could give their past, present (some of many years), and future users some consideration. But I think we all know about PD's public relations, or lack of sadly. :rolleyes:

I think a combination of of GT7 production and PS5 console production both being affected by the pandemic will have inevitably contributed to the delay of GT7. Not good rushing a game out to sell new consoles if you don't have new consoles to sell. ;)

Looking back at the history of GT games there would probably have been delays anyway, (I know that definite release dates have always rarely been mentioned for any of their games ;)) and now with a global event affecting all aspects of production, all around the world, so any outsourcing will also have been affected, there will have been delays through most of the game making process, as there is in the physical production aspects of the console and its components. At the start of the pandemic people's estimations of the effect any delays would be on anything being produced in the world, will have will have had to be reassessed as time has gone on, and reports come of how much many aspects of production have been affected, and for how long, though probably still affecting things.

Now that we are coming up to a year of the pandemic, with many country's having extended periods of lockdown, which continue today, I have doubts that a 2022 release may be possible, I of course hope I am wrong. But it if does appear, features may be cut down or missing, with promises of updates further down the line.

As some have said, for many the estimated date for GT7 will negate the need for them to consider acquiring a PS5 in the short term. As someone who only got the PS4 when GT Sport appeared, I am one of them. By the time I may need a PS5, any bugs will hopefully have been ironed out. I doubt prices will have come down by that time, but you never know. ;) :lol:

Fingers crossed we will get more information from PD over the upcoming months, but I doubt it.

Not surprised at all. Kinda called it to be honest. Rather have a polished well tested game, then something that's rushed and buggy

While no one wants a buggy game, I don't think that's the primary issue with GT7's delay. I am guessing that getting the data for developing cars and tracks has been the bottleneck. They record audio, scan and photograph extensively and travel has been off limits for a year. So data they had for cars and tracks before the pandemic has been completed but new data must have been a huge challenge. Hopefully travel restrictions from Japan have been lifted by now.

Bummer. But this is to be expected with PD in the first place. Add in a 'global pandemic' and voila, no GT for a very long time. Thankfully there's tons of good racing games to keep us busy in the meantime.

Jerome

Back