Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
I'm more annoyed that I was wrong about a mid to late 2021 release date. :lol:

With that said, it's typical PD fashion to see a game take forever to develop. I'm still holding out hope for a trailer this year, I just plain want to see what else they have planned for this game. hehe

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't matter to me if it released this year anyway. I don't have a PS5 yet, not that I would be able to get one with the constant shortages and scalpers taking them. That and I still have my personal "don't buy a console within the first year of launch" rule.

I think i'll just take the view now that GT7 won't release for aleast another 18 months ,which would be Sept 1st,2022.
And it could be another 2-3 months later if they decide to make it a pre-xmas 2022 release.
If it releases before that time, then i'll be pleasantly surprised ! :)

Lol, and people were bitching at me earlier in the year for assuming that Polyphony would have delays.

Welcome to Gran Turismo people. Strap in, it's a long ride.

And what if the game release in late 2022 and still a bad unpolished game?

That wouldn't exactly be a surprise either. Both GT5 and GT6 were pretty busted at release, and while to my knowledge GTS was fine it did that by being relatively tiny.

Capturing real word circuits, recording cars and Scapes must have been affected by Lockdown or Travel Bans.

Chances there may be more fictional circuits.
Yeah they postponed game because of scapes, typical pd :d about laser scanes, isnt this days just data to buy ? Similar to new cars (cad)

Last edited:
Game delayed, people get angry at PD and Sony, as if they aren't aware of the current worldly matters are impacting things rather than the developer :banghead:

LOUD NOISES I LOVE LAMP

Well gives us a chance to get ps5 by then hopefully? Well at retail price that is.
I would prefer them delay it even further to get quality needed people will wait the question is how long can they go financially without releasing new product.

Understandable but still disappointing. Three daily races a week and no new cars leave the gran turismo franchise nigh dead in the mean time until GT7 is out.

For now I’m having fun working on my driver rating and finding my limit but as many others I have destroyed my safety rating due to the broken penalty system already once.

There is no alternative on ps that has the same flair so there’s no alternative but the 5 year release cycle of the franchise seems out of step. I work in visual effects and I cannot comprehend how PD get away with such time lines. I think it’s the lack of competition of games that fulfil the gran Turismo formula of best accessibility, presentation and reasonable physics. ACC simply isn’t as accessible and a little serious for me as non hardcore player who likes to enjoy cars and driving in all shapes and forms.

Not looking forward to this loooooong wait.

Last edited:
Game delayed, people get angry at PD and Sony, as if they aren't aware of the current worldly matters are impacting things rather than the developer :banghead:

LOUD NOISES I LOVE LAMP

To be fair, there's been a pandemic for a year now. This isn't a new thing, and it started before the PS5 released. If companies haven't adjusted their workflows and release dates by now that's on them.

To be fair, there's been a pandemic for a year now. This isn't a new thing, and it started before the PS5 released. If companies haven't adjusted their workflows and release dates by now that's on them.

For a game like GT7 it just wont work especially if the game is being worked at home.

I feel like the delay is for the better. Gt5 days of waiting for years is over as the Ps5 like the Ps4 is easy to work with.

Ps3 was a nightmare hence why GT5 took ages.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that, one problem is the knock on effect of the pandemic has ripples, it impacts different industries in different ways and while some companies may have been quick to adapt early on they might not have been ideally placed to cope with those adjustments long term or as the pandemic has gone on different challenges to working remotely have gradually arisen.

I'm fortuante enough to be in a position where I could just swap my desk at work for my desk at home and manage a team remotely. But within the same organisation there are teams that have different roles that have not been able to make the same adjustments. Be it personel, the actual type of work involved or anything else.

On game development, it's no coincidence that last year some games were still being released on schedule but towards the end of the year a number of developmers (larer than Polyphony) came out and said that the pandemic was causing delays, Square Enix being one of them. There could be a huge number of reasons for this, there's a lot of creative thought and teamwork invlved in game developemnt and a ell of a lot of organstational control is required over who does what and when. Of course working remotely will slow all of that down. The you have the practical aspects of havign to travel to caputure locations and vehicles for a game like Gran Turismo, that's also something likely to be impacted.

It's far too simplistic to say they've had x amount of time to adjust, there's nothing to say that they have or haven't adjusted, but making the adjustment doesn't mean your efficiency equals what it was pre-COVID.

Last edited:
I understand this delay. When I see all movies delayed, or when I see a Cyberpunk, maybe a good idea 💡
Last time I was thinking about the idea of a "Beta" GT7 (as GTS had), but now, it's surely better to focus GT7 only.

I did the biggest efforts to find a ps5 fast, now I have... to wait :lol:

(joke) I know from an P.Digital insider, this delay is due to the modeling effort on the Xantia. And a hard processus, the ability to swap a R34 engine into a Daihatsu Midget (joke)

Great now I can take my time saving up for PS5 then,it's not like I can afford one for another few months at least.
I have plan to play more racing games backlog from last gens anyway.

On game development, it's no coincidence that last year some games were still being released on schedule but towards the end of the year a number of developmers (larer than Polyphony) came out and said that the pandemic was causing delays, Square Enix being one of them.

Yep. But you notice that some bits of Squeenix adapted better than others. The new expansion for FFXIV is still scheduled to come out Fall this year, which is maybe a month or two behind their normal two year cycle, and they've been releasing scheduled patches as well with some minor delays. Division 5 and Yoshi-P are staggeringly well organised, and it shows.

There could be a huge number of reasons for this, there's a lot of creative thought and teamwork invlved in game developemnt and a ell of a lot of organstational control is required over who does what and when. Of course working remotely will slow all of that down.

I didn't say that it was easy, but these people are supposed to be highly paid, intelligent professionals. It's okay to critique them when they drop the ball.
Likewise, I didn't say that there shouldn't be delays compared to the pre-COVID plan, but if it's only becoming apparently now in February 2021 that a delay is required then someone isn't doing their job.

The you have the practical aspects of havign to travel to caputure locations and vehicles for a game like Gran Turismo, that's also something likely to be impacted.

That one is actually interesting because it's a legit restriction, but it seems like something that could be worked around. We know Polyphony have tons of data already, and maybe it isn't to the exact quality or of the exact things that they want but they just have to make do. Maybe they have to spend more time on gameplay and less time on content, which would be nice.

But again, to most people it was pretty apparent in the middle of last year when there were literally thousands of deaths a day that it was going to be mid to late 2021 before anything like normal travel would be available (assuming a vaccine was made and produced which wasn't a given at that point). If they're only figuring out now that lack of travel is going to hurt them, that's just dumb.

There are things that are obviously results of the pandemic that no amount of rational planning could have mitigated. But I find it hard to believe that someone with access to the internal information that Polyphony had at the release of the PS5 couldn't have identified that the game wouldn't make a 2021 release date, especially given that people on GTP could pick it based on no more information than "Polyphony has delayed almost every game they've ever released".

It's far too simplistic to say they've had x amount of time to adjust, there's nothing to say that they have or haven't adjusted, but making the adjustment doesn't mean your efficiency equals what it was pre-COVID.

But efficiency isn't the point. Their efficiency could be half of what it was, and it's still possible to make a reasonable prediction of when the game will be finished based on that. The efficiency of making a game is completely unrelated to the ability to make an accurate prediction of when it will be ready to ship. It's not about needing to get your productivity back to pre-COVID levels, that may be impossible. But you can adjust your forward planning and release dates quickly and easily once it's clear that your production rate is going to be affected.

It's a crazy time for lots of people still but if major companies haven't got their 🤬 together after 12 months I don't see the need to make excuses for them. When everything was being delayed and cancelled Q3 last year, that was understandable. That was the time when it really became clear that everyone was in this for the long haul, and I say that as someone in Australia which is really barely affected compared to some other places.

If companies are just now figuring out that actually they may be a bit behind schedule, that sounds exactly like how Polyphony operates. Throw out a random date (or in this case, a random year), and then ignore it until it becomes glaringly obvious that it would be impossible to hit it. After nearly 25 years they still haven't come across the idea that Prior Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance.

PS2 is and will remain the best generation for racing games.
Best generation for GT titles? Yep would agree with that, racing games overall? Nah wouldn't agree with that.

But GT is a much bigger game and complex to develop
It's bigger in content yes, in the complexity of physics engine, tyre model and ffb? Nope

Even the detail of the laser scan on the track surfaces appear to be at a different standard.

I understand they cant get out and Scan Cars and Tracks, and would not expect them too, but they are no longer a small studio and they have the might of Sony behind them
Even with the might of Sony behind them (which has in reality been the case since day one), they can't overturn global travel bans, that will in some case stop them (and other devs) from getting out and scanning cars/tracks.

Well gives us a chance to get ps5 by then hopefully? Well at retail price that is.
I would prefer them delay it even further to get quality needed people will wait the question is how long can they go financially without releasing new product.
Sony owns PD. If they run out of money, Sony will give them some... (I guess)

Last edited:
Yep. But you notice that some bits of Squeenix adapted better than others. The new expansion for FFXIV is still scheduled to come out Fall this year, which is maybe a month or two behind their normal two year cycle, and they've been releasing scheduled patches as well with some minor delays. Division 5 and Yoshi-P are staggeringly well organised, and it shows.

I didn't say that it was easy, but these people are supposed to be highly paid, intelligent professionals. It's okay to critique them when they drop the ball. Likewise, I didn't say that there shouldn't be delays compared to the pre-COVID plan, but if it's only becoming apparently now in February 2021 that a delay is required then someone isn't doing their job.
Like I said, depending on what you are doing the impact of COVID creates ripples that hit at different times, be it on personal levels, organisational levels, other practical issues or otherwise. The fact, highly paid intelligent people are in charge does not eliminate the impact of COVID and mean everything should be managed in such a way as things carry on effectively as normal to the outside world. That's not always possible, and comparing one team to another implies that every game development is the same, that it has the same practical and personal issues to overcome during that process. This is not the case, comparing creating an expansion pack for an already released game with completing development of a new game isn't like for like. In fact you would never get a true like for like comparison because of the sheer number of variables in play.

You are absolutely right to critique if that's your pursuasion, I do plenty of critiquing of Polyphony of my own, but just as such I'm not obliged to always agree. And it's just that on this occasion I don't agree entirely. I don't completely disagree with your statement, it's just far too black and white IMO. Having experienced how COVID has impacted different departments of a single organisation in different ways and being co-responsible for organising one of those departments to deal with the pandemic and witness the impact shift over time I can understand how the impact of COVID can change and create different challenges in waves that can hit at different times depending on a large range of factors.

That one is actually interesting because it's a legit restriction, but it seems like something that could be worked around. We know Polyphony have tons of data already, and maybe it isn't to the exact quality or of the exact things that they want but they just have to make do. Maybe they have to spend more time on gameplay and less time on content, which would be nice.

But again, to most people it was pretty apparent in the middle of last year when there were literally thousands of deaths a day that it was going to be mid to late 2021 before anything like normal travel would be available (assuming a vaccine was made and produced which wasn't a given at that point). If they're only figuring out now that lack of travel is going to hurt them, that's just dumb.

There are things that are obviously results of the pandemic that no amount of rational planning could have mitigated. But I find it hard to believe that someone with access to the internal information that Polyphony had at the release of the PS5 couldn't have identified that the game wouldn't make a 2021 release date, especially given that people on GTP could pick it based on no more information than "Polyphony has delayed almost every game they've ever released".
There is another aspect potentially at play here as well, avaialbilty of PS5's. Just becuase Sony have confirmed GT7 has been pushed back to 2022 due to a deliberately vague COVID has impacted production, does not mean that 2021 was not and still isn't a realistic or achieveable release window. We don't really know, we probably won't ever know for sure, but I would be surprised if the struggle to meet PS5 production demand wasn't also a factor in this decision.

But efficiency isn't the point. Their efficiency could be half of what it was, and it's still possible to make a reasonable prediction of when the game will be finished based on that. The efficiency of making a game is completely unrelated to the ability to make an accurate prediction of when it will be ready to ship. It's not about needing to get your productivity back to pre-COVID levels, that may be impossible. But you can adjust your forward planning and release dates quickly and easily once it's clear that your production rate is going to be affected.

It's a crazy time for lots of people still but if major companies haven't got their 🤬 together after 12 months I don't see the need to make excuses for them. When everything was being delayed and cancelled Q3 last year, that was understandable. That was the time when it really became clear that everyone was in this for the long haul, and I say that as someone in Australia which is really barely affected compared to some other places.

If companies are just now figuring out that actually they may be a bit behind schedule, that sounds exactly like how Polyphony operates. Throw out a random date (or in this case, a random year), and then ignore it until it becomes glaringly obvious that it would be impossible to hit it. After nearly 25 years they still haven't come across the idea that Prior Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance.
Efficiency is the point because efficieny in this pandemic hasnt been a constant, as I said before the impact of COVID hasn't fully been felt yet for most and companies that have already organised might still hit challenges that were unpredictable as a result of the ongoing pandemic. How some people prepared 10 months ago may not still be suitable today.

Of course people can plan well, but people can only predict what may or may not happen and what challenges they may or may not meet a lot of the time. Also, don't confuse them teling us that GT7 is a 2022 title now as them only just deciding/realizing it won't hit in 2021. The signs have been there for a while, the lack of a marketing push perhaps being the biggest one that made it apparent (to me at least) it wouldn't be a 1st half 2021 release. At the same time, no release date has ever been given, only a tentative window so it's always been a bit up in the air. They will have known it wasn't going to hit 2021 for a time before they have made the comment on it not releasing in 2021. I can see there being a number of factors in play, and I think a potentially big factor that the statement doesn't cover is PS5 availability. This could very well be a Sony decision rather than a Polyphony one.

Last edited:
GT7 was revealed early, but the delay to this time is not surprising yeah. Especially for Coronavirus time where it's really felt that everything is harder (either work or education). But how much time would it take to make the best GT7 experience if Coronavirus hampers anything (but without the likely console difficulty)? Would it be still as long as GT5's (which was far from best GT experience after those delays)? I don't get too hopeful now even for delays that can polish a game further (compare GTS graphics pre and post delay).

Gran Turismo 2 was delayed several months in Japan, then the US date was officially delayed about a week before it was supposed to ship from its early December release to just before Christmas.

The universe is a cruel and uncaring place afterall.

GT7 was revealed early, but the delay to this time is not surprising yeah. Especially for Coronavirus time where it's really felt that everything is harder (either work or education). But how much time would it take to make the best GT7 experience if Coronavirus hampers anything (but without the likely console difficulty)? Would it be still as long as GT5's (which was far from best GT experience after those delays)? I don't get too hopeful now even for delays that can polish a game further (compare GTS graphics pre and post delay).

Covid or not, if the game come out in late 2022 or middle 2022, 5 years of development should be enough to make it the best GT experience, better than GT4 and GT5, of course, if they don't screw up again.... They have the opportunity, and I hope they will not disappoint us again. I mean 2018-2022 it's a very long dev time so we hope the best

Covid aside, and I hope for a better resolve late 2021 world wide, but seeing how ebay still has 93% of all severely limited handicapped levels of PS5 shipments to date, this delay isn't surprising at all and is to be expected. prev years' generational launch on 7nm technology was of e̶p̶i̶c̶ paper proportions.

Guess I'll explore Blizzards Rock n Roll racing in the meantime.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back