Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I believe I saw it here on GTPlanet, but I can't remember exactly where. I think I saw it from a post in this thread, not 100% though. I can't remember if Kaz said it or someone here said it. Either way, it made a lot of sense to me. Now that I think about it, it most likely was by a user here. It was along the lines of "The GT6 premiums weren't compatible with Physical Based Rendering, so they had to rebuild them for GT Sport."

I know Kaz said that they were future proof, but maybe at the time, he didn't think that they'd be using PBR? After seeing the difference in quality (assuming that this is true), he might have said "Okay, we can't use the GT6 models, they won't work properly, so we'll have to start over."

I don't know the techy ins and outs but PBR is a big deal. I've seen it in MGSV and the Star Wars DICE game. Perhaps that's what we were on about when discussing the merits of the 'lighting' a few pages back.

It does really make a huge difference in the perceived photorealism of virtual environments.

We already saw few cars with a racing version and one with 3 racing versions.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition Gr.3
CxlBOW0.png
ATHzzNG.png

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition Gr.4
CxlBOW0.png
ATHzzNG.png

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition Group B Rally Car
ATHzzNG.png

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition
CxlBOW0.png
ATHzzNG.png

What if there are only 60+- unique cars with various racing versions accounting for a total of 137 cars ?

What if there are only 60+- unique cars with various racing versions accounting for a total of 137 cars ?
Everyone does that, so I have no problem with it. After all, a Mercedes SLS isn't really the same car as an SLS GT3. I half expect this, though I'd think some unique cars in street and racing classes will be at the party. As much as I like sports cars in GT games though, I'm hoping that there are racing versions of almost everything. I want to see those RUFs in GT3 - and maybe 4 - racing trim.

Maybe I'm overreacting here but it's odd that at the 24hr race they only demo the Nordschleife rather than the full 24hr circuit no? I wonder if the GP track has made the cut.
Things may change in November, and E3, but I think they made a point of stating the "North Loop" is in the game, the restricted course we've had since GT4. Though isn't North Loop the translation of Nordschleife? We might get clarification at E3.

Well, one more thing before I run off to race.

You must have gotten a different GT6 to me :lol:
I do believe I did not state "GT6 has THE BEST PHYSICS EVAR!!@" ;)

Last edited:
We already saw few cars with a racing version and one with 3 racing versions.

It seems fairly likely that there will be less that 100 uniques when discounting tuning variations. How much less we shall see. I suspect if it's actually ~60 they'll take a critical kicking, I mean, we're three years after PS4 release here and that's significantly less than either pCARS or Assetto Corsa. And a lot less than FM5, which had the snot ripped out of it for "only" 200 cars.

And a whole lot of people who were adamant that car count is more important than quality on the PS3 generation will suddenly find mitigating circumstances.

Yep, that's what I assumed back in the day, and I think it holds true. While the mesh (wireframe or actual polygonal structure) can be reused the textures have to be all scrapped and done from scratch, it happened to T10, I think it's happening to PD just due to the nature of the technology. Nothing to do with them being lazy or DLC plans and what not. It has to be done to ensure quality.

They build the cars from scratch, but this doesn't imply that they delete all their data, including pictures, scans and physics information about the car. In my opinion, this is the reason, that you see them creating the same mistakes sometimes and doing old cars instead of new cars, because for the latter they have to go to the manufacture or even a privat person and ask, if they can have the car to scan it and for the former they ask someone in their office to get the data for the developer so he can start working.
Right, that would make sense; I can see people in the Polyphony office thinking "why go through the trouble testing out the physics on a new Lotus when we have the data from an old one?". It's not something that I would approve of, but I can understand Polyphony's thought process for something like this.

I actually wonder about the track list, it's the same issue as with the cars, everything has be redone with PBR pipeline in mind, they've announced 19 locations, while T10 only managed 14 at the start of this gen with over 400 people working on the game 24/7. I wanna see what the result of this is. Tokyo and Bristol knockoff for example seem fairly low detail to me, so I want to see the concessions made to achieve that track list.

I actually wonder about the track list, it's the same issue as with the cars, everything has be redone with PBR pipeline in mind, they've announced 19 locations, while T10 only managed 14 at the start of this gen with over 400 people working on the game 24/7. I wanna see what the result of this is. Tokyo and Bristol knockoff for example seem fairly low detail to me, so I want to see the concessions made to achieve that track list.

Car list probably, depending on how many duplicates we're looking at it could be less than 100 unique models (as in models that they had to model...is this making any sense at all? :P).

Car list probably, depending on how many duplicates we're looking at it could be less than 100 unique models (as in models that they had to model...is this making any sense at all? :P).
It makes perfect sense, and it kinda sounds weird that the biggest racing franchise as well as the most well funded might launch with less cars than Assetto Corsa, made by 12-15 guys on pocket change more or less. It's just mind boggling to me.

It makes perfect sense, and it kinda sounds weird that the biggest racing franchise as well as the most well funded might launch with less cars than Assetto Corsa, made by 12-15 guys on pocket change more or less. It's just mind boggling to me.

Well, its PD we're talking here, they probably spent most of their time modelling the threads on the bolts holding down the crankshaft.

So Sony did good firing Evolution ? How hard is to comprehend that PS4 is not powerful enough for good looking weather and night racing with all cars casting the light. ?

Driveclub is your GTS with dynamic weather. Evo was a first party studio that could squeeze as much from PS4 as PD. It runs at 30FPS with 12 cars.

PD is not a magic fairy.

PS3 had ONE AI car casting the light, road surface that didn't even look wet, wasn't full 1080p and it still run at 30-40 FPS.

PS3 wasn't ready AT ALL and PS4 isn't either. Unless you want a game that looks worse than PCars.

Clearly both Turn10 and PD realize this and in order to make enough of a graphical jump from next gen while running at 60FPS dynamic conditions had to be left out.

Also graphics sell.

The PS4's CPU has been benchmarked as comparable to an i7 when optimised, it runs a lower clockspeed but with 8 cores when optimised it performs right up there with an i7. The GPU falls around the R9 270. It is a very capable gaming machine.

And Playstation exclusive developers have the luxury of being able to optimise their game for the PS4.

Or maybe optimise the game? How about that?

I'm pretty sure that would mean they can do it.

GT6 might be able to keep up in a lowres compressed youtube video, but I can play both games back to back on my TV as I own both and in reality GT6 is nowhere close to FM5/6. But let's keep it out of this thread, shall we.

It is same for every game. Most people judging GTS are from youtube videos also in beta stage. I just disagree to what you posted.

There are some comparison video too between GTS and GT6 which is bigger jump to what Forza did

As far TOD and dynamic weather goes I think they are being cautious due to VR compatibility. Pcars is perfectly fine to play but unfortunately in VR if there even little drop in fps the people will get headache with the headset. Fps is most important in VR.

It is same for every game. Most people judging GTS are from youtube videos also in beta stage. I just disagree to what you posted.

There are some comparison video too between GTS and GT6 which is bigger jump to what Forza did

As far TOD and dynamic weather goes I think they are being cautious due to VR compatibility. Pcars is perfectly fine to play but unfortunately in VR if there even little drop in fps the people will get headache with the headset. Fps is most important in VR.
I don't know if it's the quality of the video but in that first one at Brands the trees in GT6 actually look better to me than GTS. In lighting, however, it's GTS hands down.

The Radio Leman commentators continue to mention Grab Turismo and how the deal with Nissan ran its course. Hence, the deal with BMW. In GT2, we got a plethora of BMW machines , along with racing modifications. Makes me think about BMW's presence will be a good dose.
*rubs rabbit foot hoping for BTCC, DTM and M235i One Make series machines.*

Back