Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
If it's a new build then why are they moving backwards?

Developers can have some problems in a video game development.

Yes, that is true, but it doesn't explain why there would be a downgrade if it was a newer build.

Maybe they tried something that didn't work....

More like, the team has built the Nurb (lets say v1) for the long time then the team need to do something which apparently not supported by the v1, so they decide to make Nurb v2.

PD does not have to be different when planing the categories. Not like they have a licence issue with the FIA or anything.

Last edited:
(If this has been discussed before please can you direct me roughly to its location, thanks in advance)

Question is relating to GT Sports photomode scapes, the fact that they look crisp and realistic I'm interested to know if the possibility of a user scape is or could be an option for example being able to manipulate a P1 car onto my driveway :D or local landmarks?

(If this has been discussed before please can you direct me roughly to its location, thanks in advance)

Question is relating to GT Sports photomode scapes, the fact that they look crisp and realistic I'm interested to know if the possibility of a user scape is or could be an option for example being able to manipulate a P1 car onto my driveway :D or local landmarks?
I don't believe it will be possible, as in order for the scapes to look anything like realistic PD need to manually input any light sources that may exist in the photograph into a three dimensional model so that the car can create shadows and have reflections based on the light sources in the picture.

That Probably makes no sense but I don't know how else to explain it :lol:.

I don't believe it will be possible, as in order for the scapes to look anything like realistic PD need to manually input any light sources that may exist in the photograph into a three dimensional model so that the car can create shadows and have reflections based on the light sources in the picture.

That Probably makes no sense but I don't know how else to explain it :lol:.
Yea that makes sense, the scape is like a room they put their cars into rather than a real world location?

Yea that makes sense, the scape is like a room they put their cars into rather than a real world location?
Yeah, sort of, but its just an illusion. If you were to move the camera around, the car would stay 3D, but the picture would warp, as it is still a two dimensional background. Its pretty cool tech if you ask me.

However, I have just found something that might make what you asked possible:
i1cFBhqmjpyLmTH.jpg

It says on the far right "Add light", which could allow the user to manually input a light source into a photograph. I can't think of much else it could be for. :)

PD need to manually input any light sources that may exist in the photograph into a three dimensional model so that the car can create shadows and have reflections based on the light sources in the picture.

There is no need for PD to do so. The actual lighting comes from the picture itself. High resolution high dynamic range 360° pictures serve the purpose of light source and environment.

There is no need for PD to do so. The actual lighting comes from the picture itself. High resolution high dynamic range 360° pictures serve the purpose of light source and environment.
Hmm... I thought in order to make the car have a shadow there needed to be light source within the 'model'?

And that light source is indeed a picture. Image based lighting is nothing new in 3D imaging.
Wow, that's really cool then. I stand corrected! :D

But if anything that makes the "Add Light" button a little bit more puzzling to me. If the camera/picture already does it, why would that option be needed...

The "Add light" will basically do that. Add another virtual light source within the scape's scenery. It's a feature I'm eager to know more about. I do hope there will be lots of options in order to manipulate/control these. If GTS adds a clean cyclo (infinite studio background) as a scape and there is enough headroom to play with virtual light sources I could be purchasing this game for that feature alone.:D

I feel like if it was going to be possible for user background scapes they would have mentioned it, it'd be a pretty major part of the feature.

I'd guess even if it was technically possible they would avoid it because when you allow people to add their own photographs, you're creating the potential for at best crappy quality photos that look rubbish or at worse, offensive/inappropriate backgrounds that the car makers are unlikely to appreciate their cars appearing in.

For every person that innocently wants to put a car in their driveway you've got another person that wants to put a car in the middle of Islamic State photos.

The "Add light" will basically do that. Add another virtual light source within the scape's scenery. It's a feature I'm eager to know more about. I do hope there will be lots of options in order to manipulate/control these. If GTS adds a clean cyclo (infinite studio background) as a scape and there is enough headroom to play with virtual light sources I could be purchasing this game for that feature alone.:D

@Samus is right about the user provided hdr bg, but this idea is kinda nice.

I'm thinking fast and furious style blue strip lights under the car.

(I jest)

(I think)

It's not very unlikely. It's totally unlikely. Remember some parts of the scapes are actually 3D modeled and layered. Importing your own high res "pro" pic as a scape wouldn't work because of this.

They should do a periodic photo contest type thing where they pick so many picture submissions from around the world to turn into new scapes.

This is supposed to be a racing game is it not.. It's just a waist of programming......
Yeah, you're right, it's supposed to be a game so what's the issue with having modes to have some fun on the side? Photomode is just as much a part of it as anything else, and has been for a while, if you haven't noticed.

It should be fine, they can do with upping their waist size.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right, it's supposed to be a game so what's the issue with having modes to have some fun on the side? Photomode is just as much a part of it as anything else, and has been for a while, if you haven't noticed.

It should be fine, they can do with upping their waist size.
I can remember racing games where for racing not for putting cars on back grounds...

I can remember racing games where for racing not for putting cars on back grounds...
How do you think the cars got there, if they where not just put into their surroundings? :P

Either way, like I alluded to, this has been main part of the series for the better part of last 10+ years or so and is a major part of gaming in general. You don't like it? That's fine, but many do. You think it's a waste, I don't.

Honestly, Scapes should be less offensive to the folks that cry "racing games should only be about racing" than previous GT game Photomodes. GT6's Photo Travel locations are painstakingly recreated by modellers: the new photographic approach should save a ton of time. How else would there already be over 1000?

Honestly, Scapes should be less offensive to the folks that cry "racing games should only be about racing" than previous GT game Photomodes. GT6's Photo Travel locations are painstakingly recreated by modellers: the new photographic approach should save a ton of time. How else would there already be over 1000?

To be brutally honest, I'd personally rather have the photomode locations from GT5 and 6 again rather than what PD's doing with the Scapes.

Back