Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
To be brutally honest, I'd personally rather have the photomode locations from GT5 and 6 again rather than what PD's doing with the Scapes.

Fair enough.

For me, I don't see much of a difference. The locations in GT6 were very limited; I'd much rather the time weren't invested in recreating a location used for static shots and nothing else.

What would be handy is an on-track free-roam camera that can actually get some altitude!

This is supposed to be a racing game is it not.. It's just a waist of programming......
Try Assetto Corsa. It is a very bare-bones racing game. It has next to nothing to do besides "drive car." You can live your ethos.

GT6's Photo Travel locations are painstakingly recreated by modellers: the new photographic approach should save a ton of time. How else would there already be over 1000?
That was my thought as well, creating a "scape" can't possibly cost much resource-wise. And anything to get the community and developers involved with one another is good. Honestly I don't care though, hardly ever used photo mode. And as Revoy rightly pointed out.. most plausible scenario: PD announce a monthly scapes user submission contest to be held on PitStop blog, only ever do it once and we'd never see the winning scapes in game :lol:

Try Assetto Corsa. It is a very bare-bones racing game. It has next to nothing to do besides "drive car." You can live your ethos.

:D 👍

That was my thought as well, creating a "scape" can't possibly cost much resource-wise. And anything to get the community and developers involved with one another is good. Honestly I don't care though, hardly ever used photo mode. And as Revoy rightly pointed out.. most plausible scenario: PD announce a monthly scapes user submission contest to be held on PitStop blog, only ever do it once and we'd never see the winning scapes in game :lol:

In a few years, I expect consumer-level electronics will be able to do something roughly similar to Scapes anyway. So, before the next GT game comes out. :P

Although I agree, letting users get involved would be cool. Imagine being able to composite your personal GT garage anywhere you like—maybe even your real garage? It'd knock down a lot of the limitations inherent to both the previous Photo Travel locations, and the current Scapes.

I've all ready got assetto corsa and project Cars I've been waiting for gt sport that long I'm going gray..

If GT were only a racing game, I wouldn't buy GTsport for sure. So many flaws : lack of damage, stiff 3rd camera view, average sounds... But I love all the extra features like Scapes, beautiful replays, useless cutscenes in the menu, long description for every car (not something generic like in Forza), weird/artistic soundtrack...
As a racing game, GTsport is too clinical to challenge the other games today.

...Well, I used to buy GT games not because of racing it offered, but the cars and tracks as well as the tinkering around bit. After work, when you are feeling stifled by something - your ***hole bosses, whiny girlfriend(s), your geyser exploding (literally - happened to me, so...), whatever, you just pop in the disc, grab the car you love then pound on a track for half an hour til you are officially unwinded. That's why I played GT.

None of this FIA certificate and "be a semi-pro racer!!" bit appeals to me in the least. But that's just me. What do I know.

...Well, I used to buy GT games not because of racing it offered, but the cars and tracks as well as the tinkering around bit. After work, when you are feeling stifled by something - your ***hole bosses, whiny girlfriend(s), your geyser exploding (literally - happened to me, so...), whatever, you just pop in the disc, grab the car you love then pound on a track for half an hour til you are officially unwinded. That's why I played GT.

And that is still available, and will be in GT:S also
Currently where I still spend a lot of time in GT6
Plug in arcade mode, infinite laps on Sierra or Bathurst, 84 GTO Ferrari or SLS AMG,
Drive till the wheels fall off

Last edited:
And that is still available, and where I still spend a lot of time in GT6
Plug in arcade mode, infinite laps on Sierra or Bathurst, 84 GTO Ferrari or SLS AMG,
Drive till the wheels fall off

...Sounds good. 👍 But my PS3 have gone bust so that's not possible for me - playing GT6, that is - and at the moment it's sporadic PC gaming squeezed in between work related stuff, going through all the different websites I'm a member in, and writing my little story and posting it. Keeps me busy until more GT:S news drops.

...Sounds good. 👍 But my PS3 have gone bust so that's not possible for me - playing GT6, that is - and at the moment it's sporadic PC gaming squeezed in between work related stuff, going through all the different websites I'm a member in, and writing my little story and posting it. Keeps me busy until more GT:S news drops.
Edited my post,

the same arcade mode will be available in GT:S also

I've all ready got assetto corsa and project Cars I've been waiting for gt sport that long I'm going gray..
If you have them, why the impatience for GTS? They are both able to provide excellent races against AI, PC has lots of tracks, AC has laser scanned tracks, PC has good online features, AC has some features coming soon :ouch:. What is it that GTS offers you that makes you care when it arrives?

If you have them, why the impatience for GTS? They are both able to provide excellent races against AI, PC has lots of tracks, AC has laser scanned tracks, PC has good online features, AC has some features coming soon :ouch:. What is it that GTS offers you that makes you care when it arrives?

Graphics ;)

Also man, with these things, it's just not bullet point lists is it? It's the feel of the thing. The nostalgia.

I think there are some people who have all these other games, and for whatever reason, they aren't enough. The console landscape is just a bit empty without a GT.

Maybe that's why 'GT Fanboys' get a lot of stick on here, because they're just looking forward to it, no matter what, and all the lists and proveable points, and inarguable realities don't amount to much really, in the face of this weird irrational optimism, of hope. Nothing wrong with that, really.

Also, those graphics haha.

It's not very unlikely. It's totally unlikely. Remember some parts of the scapes are actually 3D modeled and layered. Importing your own high res "pro" pic as a scape wouldn't work because of this.

In their simplest form scapes mostly require a single reference plane (with possibly elementary geometry to limit the stage you can put the car on within the scenery). The hardest part would be to provide the HDRI map (requiring panoramic shooting/bracketing) associated to your personal background. A generic one (providing visually compatible surroundings) would probably do the trick. Adding an alpha channel in the scene renderer wouldn’t require rocket science either. Highly improbable for sure but not to the point of being impossible IMO.

What is it that GTS offers you that makes you care when it arrives?

As @jm79 said, It's a nostalgia thing.

For everything that's wrong with the game over the years like Vacuum Cleaner Sounds, physics problems, rear toe issue in GT6, things not modelled right, whatever,
When you jump in your favourite car,, click the helmet visor down and the red mist descends across your eyes, it's comfortable, familiar and frustrating. But feels like your favourite pair of old boots you can't bear to part with.

Sure your sparkling clean Chuck Taylors are supportive of your ankles, or the Air Jordans help you leap 15 feet into the air, but that old pair of boots is the first thing you reach for in the morning to get the paper in the snow, despite the hole in the toe that lets the cold and wet inside.

Polish and presentation, physics that are perfectly suited for a pad since I don't have a wheel. Graphics, and the confidence that Polyphony will squeeze more power and performance out of the PS4 than any third party.

But most importantly? The fact that, along with Forza, it really is the last of the simulators that is still a video game at heart. GT Sport may scale that back (which would disappoint me greatly), but it is a big reason why I keep coming back. From interviews you get the sense Kaz views the traditional GT career as obsolete now that technology has reached the point where players can reliably compete online, and sim racing itself has become a legitimate sport.

None of this FIA certificate and "be a semi-pro racer!!" bit appeals to me in the least. But that's just me. What do I know.

Do we have any upcoming events or timely expectations to announce a release date for this game ? :guilty:
Always. :)
Shall I start at last January and name every event that we were "sure to hear something" from?

There is nothing until they actually give a release date, at which point you should still tread carefully lest ye fall into the trap that's kept dozens of members on this site talking for over a year about what they will do one day when this game comes out.

"Soon"

Polish and presentation, physics that are perfectly suited for a pad since I don't have a wheel. Graphics, and the confidence that Polyphony will squeeze more power and performance out of the PS4 than any third party.

But most importantly? The fact that, along with Forza, it really is the last of the simulators that is still a video game at heart. GT Sport may scale that back (which would disappoint me greatly), but it is a big reason why I keep coming back. From interviews you get the sense Kaz views the traditional GT career as obsolete now that technology has reached the point where players can reliably compete online, and sim racing itself has become a legitimate sport.

I think he may have a point too.

Only just started playing DC online (bit late I know) and it's brilliant. The normal career stuff seems boring and lifeless in comparison.

Much more convinced about the GTS 'philosophy' now.

What about teams? In many race series, a multi car team, consists of drivers that are teammates. Grid 2 gave you an AI teammate. Most race drivers goal is to at least beat their teammate. Will PD give us such a goal? That is something they have never tried(and seeing multiple AI cars same as yours, does not count :sly: ).

Team management.
B-Spec. That was pretty much what were given in GT5. We had what, 4 drivers to manage over an enduro? Why not a 2 or 3 car team this time? Use the editor to make our team colors and manage a race online.
Some people don't like to race online. Maybe they can control their car via B-Spec. Versus other players AI or real people(if possible). Not everyone is a racer. There are engineers, strategists, mechanics.

PD were on to something new, but didn't develop it.

In their simplest form scapes mostly require a single reference plane (with possibly elementary geometry to limit the stage you can put the car on within the scenery). The hardest part would be to provide the HDRI map (requiring panoramic shooting/bracketing) associated to your personal background. A generic one (providing visually compatible surroundings) would probably do the trick. Adding an alpha channel in the scene renderer wouldn’t require rocket science either. Highly improbable for sure but not to the point of being impossible IMO.
You got a point there. But I think there's another factor here, which I forgot to mention. Licensing issues. What if your user-scape has some brands in the background? I'm sure some people will find their way to your picture and sue you for licensing issues ;) Haha

You got a point there. But I think there's another factor here, which I forgot to mention. Licensing issues. What if your user-scape has some brands in the background? I'm sure some people will find their way to your picture and sue you for licensing issues ;) Haha
I don't hink that's a problem, unless you're trying to sell prints from your home. :D

I get a feeling that Brands would be censored by blur or simply the name edited out.

Back