Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
But 'content' is handled differently now to how it used to be.

The days of a game at retail shipping with 1000+ cars are over.
There is so much more work that goes into the assets nowadays, cars and tracks.

Thinking you'll get a new release called GT7 with that tonne of content at GTS quality, is not just wishful thinking, it's madness :)

Why not just add that content to GTS in bits and pieces?
Why not?
Well it all depends on what we can or can't do in GT Sport.
If they hold 'Seasonal' type events, and it's an MR 500PP event, I want to be able to check my garage for a car I can tune to suit that event.
Not be lumped with a pre-selected choice of BoP'd cars broken down into 4 groups.

That's kinda what GT is.

If they keep adding cars to GT Sport in the way we understand GT Sport works, every car will have to be BoP'd to suit one of those 4 classes.
That's completely different to buying a car and turning it into the track car you want.

Last edited:

Thinking you'll get a new release called GT7 with that tonne of content at GTS quality, is not just wishful thinking, it's madness :)

In the Gran Turismo world, yes. Forza is quickly creeping out to the 1000 car mark and if they continue their current pace they'll likely reach it by Forza 8. Maybe sooner with very aggressive F7 DLC. Don't be surprised if you see a focused e-sports title from T10 next year as well.

In the Gran Turismo world, yes. Forza is quickly creeping out to the 1000 car mark and if they continue their current pace they'll likely reach it by Fora 8. Maybe sooner with very aggressive F7 DLC.

That's my point - DLC.

Create a platform, add content.

GTS is the new platform.

I'm not saying that we will get 1000 cars in GT7... I'm saying we will have the overall content expanded, might just be twice as many cars as we have right now, might be less than that, but that's what will differentiate a future GT7 from GTS.

By bits and peaces you mean DLCs, and if they added something like 100 cars as paid DLC, GTS would end up being a hell of an expensive game DLC wise. You would pay as much for DLC cars, as you paid for the whole game... If they gave those same 100 cars for free, they would be throwing money out of the window... And also, there is the balance of the E-sports vertent of this game, the more cars you have, the harder it will be to balance every single one of them...

For us and for them, it would be much more worth if they made a GT7, because lots of people won't buy this game due to it's natures, and are willing to wait for the "full" game...

That's my point - DLC.

Create a platform, add content.

GTS is the new platform.

For most GT players, that would fell like a rip off... They would feel the need to pay a lot more for GTS+DLC, to get a part of the content they would expect getting from a full on GT game.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of assets (especially classic cars and pre-2000's models) are being developed alongside those being introduced in GTS, but being held back for GT7. The ethics of that are debateable, but personally, I'm alright with it due to the modern/spec racing approach that seems to be taking place.

I'd bet everything we see in GTS (content wise) will carry over to whatever title PD releases next (I've just been assuming it'll be called GT7), and it'll be business as usual with car lists in the several hundreds to near-1000s.

Last edited:
Oh. You mean like literally every post you've made about what the pre-release marketing for GT Sport means for the future of the entire franchise. Gotcha.

*yawn*

You linked a Wikipedia page in your argument about what constitutes a full Gran Turismo game as proof that there had only been seven. You linked a page that was simply a list of every Gran Turismo or related game publicly released in a single region; hilariously being quite a bit more than seven.
I quoted what Kaz actually said about a game you were ignoring. I quoted what the Gran Turismo website actually said about a game you were ignoring.

You insisted that Sony would be incapable of numbering the next Gran Turismo game as 7 because it wouldn't actually be the seventh game (again, not that GT Sport is the seventh game anyway according to the people who actually made them).
I posted half a dozen game franchises with numbered sequels that aren't even close to the number the game actually was.

You want to pick and choose which information you actually care to interpret as ironclad proof of your assumptions, fine. Get back to everyone here when your posts have some substance to them beyond pure wordcount.
Still deflecting and hiding behind stuff I have already addressed because you aslo don't accept the answer.

It's GT7, I provided the quotes where Kaz said as much. You just don't want to read them. Not once have you talked about them because you know everything else you are saying is renderred meaningless by them. Instead you insist Kaz and Polyphony said something they actually didn't, the website which added words that were not actually said actually said those things. I'm sure you think those things because the impression is now set in your mind and you are not open to the alternative.

Even in this post you have selected the elements you want and left the others out to distort the outcome to one you want to believe.

Any chance of a source with Kaz saying it isn't a spin-off?
I did ask politely before, and I'm genuinely interested in that because I too have watched all the interviews and must have missed it.
As I said before I'm looking, I'm having trouble finding 2 interviews now, both of them are being showed as private when I click links that come up in Youtube search but perhaps they are embedded somewhere. I could go back through this thread if I get desperate but that's the long way for sure. Maybe someone else can help find the source, I know I was surprised when i saw it because I had previously said that GTS was a spin off and now I actually can't remember if I got that information froma reliable source or just saw it here. At least this time I know that it was Kaz that told me it isn't a spin off, I just can't seem to find the source again.

That said until I find it without directly saying it I have managed to find multiple sources which support it "we could have called it Gran Turismo 7, at this stage I think either name would work." from the Team VVV video and "we actually could have called it 7 and the reason why we decided to go with Sport instead is because the major focus of this title is that we are starting this new Sport mode that is going to change the racing world and if you consider the Gran turismo 1 through 6 as the first era or first generation of Gran Turismo, starting from Sport we are really entering this new era and that's why when I really considered it, it seemed better to call it Gran Turismo Sport... and we could have easily called it 7, it has all the features, it has the size of a full size game and when people have asked me over and over again the same question, I went back and thought about it, I could have called it 7, it would have been easier to do so but that was the reasoning behind the name of the title." from the GameSpot video. My point with these is simply that this is GT7 without being GT7 because the name GT7 would not have carried the same message and then made this title more comparable to the previous generation. The progression is if this is GT7 except in name but isn't GT7 because it is actually a change in direction for the series and the beginning of a new era it both implies that the old era has come to an end and it shows that this isn't a spin off because it is actually the nest step in the series but a change in direction.

But I will keep looking for the actual source you have requested.

There is none, it is a general consensus. I was just reiterating @Quakebass' point.

Either way, its not really too off to be able to assume that, considering the change in focus in comparison to the main titles. I know they're trying to push away from that notion, but it's easy to make the assumption.

I was sure there wasn't a source and as I posted when I asked for the source it is the opposite of what all the official information is saying and even the 2 quotes I have posted in this post again also show that. It is simply wishful thinking against what we are being told. I previously also thought it was a spin off. There is enough evidence here to see it isn't but since I know that there was a more definitive statement I would like to find that again so we can put it to rest.

GTSport is a spin-off, the way they priced it, shows exactly that
Not in Australia, it is the same price as GT6

Other things that support this as a spin off, the lack of tuning like we are used to in previous titles (mentioned in one of the latest interviews, where they mention that there won't be 1000hp GT-Rs as an example), and for example, lack of classic road and racecars. PD, wouldn't dare to completely forget those, in favor of just modern cars... after all, they also love classics.
No these do not prove it is a spin off, they are a result of it being Sport focused, those things are simply incompatible with the new direction of the series. By the way, there is no lack of tuning, there is a lack of modification because clearly that doesn't fit with then New FIA racing era, GT3 cars for example are not allowed to be modified after homologation by FIA in real life except where stipulated for the purpose of BoP which actually means FIA slows them down.

In this we won't have the same level of tuning
Source? I think there will be more tuning, just no modification.

the same variety of cars and tracks and a full campaign.
It is perfectly understandable why it has the number of cars it does at launch, the fact is there is already more than enough in this title, just not the one I want to race yet.

It also has a full campaign, it just isn't the one you were expecting, it is different because Sport is the new focus for the series and the old campaign would be counter productive to the focus on Sport, in other words if this game actually had a old style offline campaign it would not become the future of Motorsports as FIA and Polyphony wish it to.

And this is where the next game comes (probably GT7). Keeping all the cars and tracks already modeled, the same lighting (maybe improved a bit if there's need for it) and the same physics (also improved if there's need for that too). The rest, is just adding content, cars, tracks, tuning, campaign, improvements to the online mode and AI. GTSport and it's "mechanics" will stay pretty much the same (if it's good, why change it?), so all they need to give us, is content.
Based on what? Because it is what you want?

GTSport has tuning, I don't know why you keep implying it doesn't. GT Sport can't have modification and the Sport element in any future title also can't have modification. The idea of modifying a race car is a silly thing to request, it doesn't happen in real life except when a race car is re purposed for a different series. The fact is former GT titles didn't actually represent a form of racing you do in real life, on the other hand GT Sport is real racing, it will include an official sanctioned Motorsport, it will be the real thing and even if it only sells a million copies that would make it the biggest Motorsport in the world. Anyone who wants to see this Motorsport thrive will understand why it can't have an offline campaign alongside it, because that offline campaign will be detrimental to the online campaign, this is why it doesn't have those things, not because it is a spin off but because they would be bad for the direction of the series. This is the new Gran Turismo.

@nasanu @Tired Tyres it don't matter who they work for, or if money changed hands. There doing something right in life for money to be changing hands. And in this case there expert input is of financial benifit to themselves. SMS paid for such input and that's logical. So there input is as I have said earlier more valid then either of your. So back to my original point !
You can answer with your wallet by not purchasing SMS games and that's fine's... You win and every bodies happy

Kaz is also a real life race driver so his input is just as valid as theirs. The point you seem to miss is just like Kaz they are actually invested in PCARS, they own a share and their return is directly dependant on the sales of the game so it is in their best interest to tell people it is the best even if it isn't true. A persons background is irrelevant if their primary motivation for praising something is profit or I should say simply because I have no actual idea what their primary motivation is that regardless of their experience nothing they say is worth a pinch of salt because it is impossible to know that they are not saying it just to make more money.

DLC keeps things interesting.... Anticipation and then delivering worth while content keeps players hooked. Otherwise game gets boring after 2-3 years.

Look at how successful iRacing have been with few cars and now many tracks... By trickle of new cars and tracks it's the most competitive platforms.

General people think they know what they want but they don't know. PD are actually on to a winning formula.

Power to PD

For me, that would fell like a rip off... I would feel the need to pay a lot more for GTS+DLC, to get a part of the content I would expect getting from a full on GT game.
There are two scenarios that can be followed. You can either get absolutely no DLC for the game, and everything can just be introduced into the base game next iteration, and iteration after that, and the one after that. Or we can get a steady influx of cars for people who want the option to have more vehicles. You feel ripped off? Don't buy it, don't support what is likely one of your favorite Developers, and just wait until the next iteration. These optional extra's can be easily avoided if you don't like to spend extra money.

If they are priced reasonably, at about $1 a car, than there shouldn't be too much to complain about I think.

7HO
I was sure there wasn't a source and as I posted when I asked for the source it is the opposite of what all the official information is saying and even the 2 quotes I have posted in this post again also show that. It is simply wishful thinking against what we are being told. I previously also thought it was a spin off. There is enough evidence here to see it isn't but since I know that there was a more definitive statement I would like to find that again so we can put it to rest.
Well then you should have realized that I was just reiterating his point, considering that the person it was in reply to didn't understand what he was saying. It was never a statement of fact. There has been all kinds of official information said before that wasn't true as well, so forgive me for not buying into all the marketing speak that you're willing to accept. It's less of wishful thinking, and more so not falling for the probability of misinformation being spewed(You know, since official information has been pretty far off before?). However, it's perfectly acceptable to have this assumption, because this is exactly what it feels like.

@7HO Kaz also said this about Interlagos for GT6 regarding Senna content:

Kazunori Yamauchi acknowledged the track in comments to Brazilian news agency UOL Jogos, but stopped short of fully confirming it will appear in GT6: “Interlagos is a racetrack that was important in the life of Senna, it is important that this circuit is present.”

Would we have had to endure walls of text from you backing up this statement, if you would have been here in 2013?

Because Kaz said so?

Play GT6 if you want to use them, or even the PS2 games they belong in. They're not going anywhere from those games. PD have moved on, they're not going to go back from this:

i15xsWvUglYmO7E.jpg

To this:

967.jpg

Move on. It's long overdue.
Are you serious now or kidding with me mate?

Are you playing GT only because the graphics?

I say that because of the new physics and wheel feeling from gts...

I'm thinking about all those "old" the car from the first hour when I try the GTS at Germany..
I like the new graphics but I play gt because of this special PD's car feeling..
Sorry for my bad English
:cheers:

Are you serious now or kidding with me mate?

Are you playing GT only because the graphics?

I say that because of the new physics and wheel feeling from gts...

I'm thinking about all those "old" the car from the first hour when I try the GTS at Germany..
I like the new graphics but I play gt because of this special PD's car feeling..
Sorry for my bad English
:cheers:
He is simply pointing out PD's insistence on over modeling cars and this "Super Premium" mumbo jumbo. They are the one focusing on graphics just as much as anything else, so it's not wrong to think, with how detailed these cars are getting that it's likely we wont return to those roots.

7HO
School kids write essays, my daughter is old enough to not write essays anymore or to even use that as a word to describe a long post.
Good for your daughter.

Last edited:

The funny part is I considered replying with that gif multiple time to you but I guess you are trying to tell me something with that video considering your excessive use of bold and repetitive use of a irrelevant term that you made up and giant irrelevant pics, you have been shouting nonsense the whole time in comparison to my reasoned and well thought out debate which you said you don't read anyway. Thanks for letting me know why you have been shouting at me.

7HO
my reasoned and well thought out debate
Yeah... "Kaz said this thing so your assumptions are factually wrong and my assumptions are factually right" isn't that. It also doesn't become that no matter how much forced pretension you shove into your pointlessly overwritten posts.

I am kind of curious if you are the previously banned member I now think you are, though.

Kazunori Yamauchi acknowledged the track in comments to Brazilian news agency UOL Jogos, but stopped short of fully confirming it will appear in GT6: “Interlagos is a racetrack that was important in the life of Senna, it is important that this circuit is present.”

So by your reasoning Interlagos must be in GT6 @7HO

Yeah... "Kaz said this thing so your assumptions are factually wrong and my assumptions are factually right" isn't that. It also doesn't become that no matter how much forced pretension you shove into your pointlessly overwritten posts.

I am kind of curious if you are the previously banned member I now think you are, though.
Have a look at my join date, never banned, no reason for it.

But did you know when you use quotes you are claiming that a person actually said something so when you put something false in those quotes you are making a false claim about me? I guess you are just lucky that I'm not petty enough to actually report someone for that kind of behaviour but it is very revealing about you character and is an act of desperation that one uses when they do not have a valid point to make.

@scholesy1899 I haven't looked it up because I have already addressed Kaz's history and reliability in previous posts. There is no point in constantly going around in circles. It is irrelevant unless you believe that we should therefore ignore everything he says and invent our own reality because he can't be trusted.

Considering I was mocked for previous comments which turned out to be correct, my track record is standing up well so far and those were a far bigger stretch than taking a man for his word.

Last edited:
7HO
Have a look at my join date, never banned, no reason for it.

But did you know when you use quotes you are claiming that a person actually said something so when you put something false in those quotes you are making a false claim about me? I guess you are just lucky that I'm not petty enough to actually report someone for that kind of behaviour but it is very revealing about you character and is an act of desperation that one uses when they do not have a valid point to make.
Very curious indeed.

7HO

I've been trying to respond to you, but the sheer volume of your posts is making it hard to find what has and hasn't been addressed make a cohesive response, so I'll just start here - it was confirmed by a Sony executive back in October at the initial unveiling that the game was not GT7, nor a prologue:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-what-we-know-so-far/

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...ismo-7-more-substantial-than-prologue-titles/

"They could have called it GT7" is true either way, because by default they were developing real world cars and tracks and realistic lighting/environment and vehicle simulation engines for a new entry, and it would be the 7th full console release. But PD then decided to take it in a comparatively different direction and give the game a specific focus, and facilitate an Esport platform, therefore making it a "spinoff" entry in the series, and worthy of a different title. Perhaps "spinoff", as a word, seems to hold too much baggage with people, and "standalone effort" as given in the second article is a more suitable definition. I still think "spinoff" is an appropriate title.

And by the way, I rectified my mistake with the GT5P thing about the same time you made your first response, sorry about that.

My tought about GTS based on videos form you tube and ipressions from Jordan, other GTP members and serious jurnalist.
Graphic its awesome! Some tveaks, here and there but for me its there where I hoped to be.
Sound updated, more realistic. Not on level like some other sims but for me its good. I hope for more when game goes on market.
Physics looks really good. And guy from iside sim racing said that is almost on AC level.
AI is faster bus still like robot and not fast enough throught the corners, but again much better than GT6 AI.
Livery editor look nice and its great feature in GT series.
Still wait to se damage, weather, different time of day/night race.
Only letdown for me is lack/very small single player mode. I really want some carrer mode. Am really look ant GT sport and can wait for more. If this game become what i expect than I will buy PS4. If not, than I will wait for GT7.

7HO
Not in Australia, it is the same price as GT6

That's up to Australian retailers, here it's cheaper, on stores and psn.

7HO
No these do not prove it is a spin off, they are a result of it being Sport focused, those things are simply incompatible with the new direction of the series. By the way, there is no lack of tuning, there is a lack of modification because clearly that doesn't fit with then New FIA racing era, GT3 cars for example are not allowed to be modified after homologation by FIA in real life except where stipulated for the purpose of BoP which actually means FIA slows them down.

Being Sport focused proves it IS a spin off. If they want to follow or not with their "classic" approach next to GTS, is up to them, but, this game is completely different. The lack of a more profound campaign mode, proves that.

7HO
Source? I think there will be more tuning, just no modification.

Around 8 minutes into this video, they ask about customization. From the answer, you assume what you want to, the only thing they say is pretty much that the tuning won't be as deep as before (just the statment that players won't be able to modify for example a GT-R to 1000hp shows that). The tuning we will have is probably just suspension and gearbox tweaking, and maybe some small power tweaking ability to meet set requirements for set race. Other than that, it will be very limited.

7HO
It is perfectly understandable why it has the number of cars it does at launch, the fact is there is already more than enough in this title, just not the one I want to race yet.

It also has a full campaign, it just isn't the one you were expecting, it is different because Sport is the new focus for the series and the old campaign would be counter productive to the focus on Sport, in other words if this game actually had a old style offline campaign it would not become the future of Motorsports as FIA and Polyphony wish it to.

It is perfectly undestandable only because it's focused on Sport. It isn't understandable when tons of cars that GT players love were put out (and I don't mean standards neither all the 400 premiums from GT6), I mean the variety that GT fans always loved, modern and classic, road and racecars. In this we don't have that, because of that Sport focus, which proves that it's a different type of game compared to the classic GT, which means it's, in fact, a spin off.

Almost every point you bring proves that this is a spin off from the typical GT. If that means there won't be a GT7 with the old formula (more content and no E-sports focus), nobody knows! If the game ends up selling millions of copys, maybe, if it doesn't, there's a big chance the classic formula will come back.

7HO
Based on what? Because it is what you want?

GTSport has tuning, I don't know why you keep implying it doesn't. GT Sport can't have modification and the Sport element in any future title also can't have modification. The idea of modifying a race car is a silly thing to request, it doesn't happen in real life except when a race car is re purposed for a different series. The fact is former GT titles didn't actually represent a form of racing you do in real life, on the other hand GT Sport is real racing, it will include an official sanctioned Motorsport, it will be the real thing and even if it only sells a million copies that would make it the biggest Motorsport in the world. Anyone who wants to see this Motorsport thrive will understand why it can't have an offline campaign alongside it, because that offline campaign will be detrimental to the online campaign, this is why it doesn't have those things, not because it is a spin off but because they would be bad for the direction of the series. This is the new Gran Turismo.

Based on what lot's of fans want, more content. Didn't you notice that one of the biggest complains right now is the lack of content in this game? For this reason, there are people who won't buy this game, simply because they feel it's just a prologue. So what will they do? Wait fora "proper" GT...

Why does GTSport can't have a campaign? How would that be detrimental to the online campaign?

Once again, not having those things that make GT... well, GT, makes it a spin off. If this ends up being really the new GT, and they completely scratch the old formula, and move on with this focus on E-sports, then the game will be death for a lot of fans of the series and a lots of casuals. Are they willing to do that? Let's see.

There are two scenarios that can be followed. You can either get absolutely no DLC for the game, and everything can just be introduced into the base game next iteration, and iteration after that, and the one after that. Or we can get a steady influx of cars for people who want the option to have more vehicles. You feel ripped off? Don't buy it, don't support what is likely one of your favorite Developers, and just wait until the next iteration. These optional extra's can be easily avoided if you don't like to spend extra money.

If they are priced reasonably, at about $1 a car, than there shouldn't be too much to complain about I think.

You didn't bother to understand the context of what I said in response to what someone else said, suggesting that instead of PD adding the content on a new game, they could implement it in GTSport. The way it was frased, it pretty much meant giving up on a new game just to add continuous DLCs to GTSport.

@torque99 That isn't the video I was looking for because the phrasing has been debated and it doesn't directly reference the term spin off. I haven't yet found the one I am looking for and it may have been made private or perhaps I just need to find an embedded link. I think that video like the others I have quoted does clarify the matter but there are some people who do not accept it.

I've been trying to respond to you, but the sheer volume of your posts is making it hard to find what has and hasn't been addressed make a cohesive response, so I'll just start here - it was confirmed by a Sony executive back in October at the initial unveiling that the game was not GT7, nor a prologue:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-what-we-know-so-far/

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...ismo-7-more-substantial-than-prologue-titles/

"They could have called it GT7" is true either way, because by default they were developing real world cars and tracks and realistic lighting/environment and vehicle simulation engines for a new entry, and it would be the 7th full console release. But PD then decided to take it in a comparatively different direction and give the game a specific focus, and facilitate an Esport platform, therefore making it a "spinoff" entry in the series, and worthy of a different title. Perhaps "spinoff", as a word, seems to hold too much baggage with people, and "standalone effort" as given in the second article is a more suitable definition. I still think "spinoff" is an appropriate title.

And by the way, I rectified my mistake with the GT5P thing about the same time you made your first response, sorry about that.
Yes this has been addressed already, I'll repeat it here because it is easier than digging for the post.

Jim is not an authority or official spokesman for Polyphony and can be excused for making a mistake but that doesn't imply he made one. Nowhere do the links you provided say this is a spin off, the only thing Jim says is they are not announcing GT7 and that GTS is not a Prologue.

Because no one seems to be able to provide the origin of the use of the term spinoff I am going to assume that it possibly was used as a logical conclusion that if GTS is not GT7 and not a Prologue it must be a spin off. But there is another logical conclusion, GTS is not called GT7 and that is why they had no announcement regarding GT7. Nowhere do those links deny that GTS is a full release in the main series and no where do they declare that it is a spin off. I think that whole concept started a from someone jumping to that conclusion.

I'll add further that Jim could have made that statement and still been fully aware that GTS is the equivalent to GT7 and he could have been fully aware of why the GTS name was selected. Even if he was aware he still could have said the same things due to the explanation that Kaz provided, that they didn't name it GT7 and instead named it GTS for the reasons Kaz provided, to focus on what GTS is (and also to not focus on what GTS is not as people would have if the GT7 connection was made). I think that is why Kaz is careful still with his words, as long as he continues to say things the way he been saying them as long as he avoids calling this GT7 at anytime and instead continues to say that it isn't called GT7 because it is different by design because this marks the new direction for the series and the start of a new era in GT and a new era in Motorsports then he is both clarifying the matter but also making sure that people understand that this is the replacement for GT7 but it is not GT7 by design.

So still not a spin off and absolutely not a stand alone effort as you can easily find evidence against that. The statement by Kaz in multiple interviews stands as accurate, this is a new direction in the series and the start of a new era implying the old era ending with GT6 is over.

Latest Posts

Back