Gran Turismo Sport Physics Thread (Poll)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 201 comments

Should we be able to adjust all four corners of the car separately,and tire air pressure?

• Yes

Votes: 188 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • There are more important things to do for GT7

Votes: 115 36.4%

• Total voters
No, I have never done such a thing playing any sim and I don't think I will tinker with these settings anyways

Ever taken your car to a track? No?
Ever checked your tyre pressures in real life to make sure that they're correct? No?
Ever owned a car? No?

That'd be why then. Once you get a real car and an opportunity to drive it on track, maybe you'll understand why I said:

...but tyre pressures are the one basic "tune" that absolutely everyone who takes their car on track will do.

Even if someone were to decide to leave the pressures at factory standards, they're a moron if they take any car on track without actually checking and thinking about changing their tyre pressures.

You check it for safety, along with your brakes and seatbelts, but it's also incredibly important in how it makes the car drive. Most race tracks are much, much smoother than a road, so you need far less bump absorption in the sidewall. Running higher pressures is essentially stiffening up your overall suspension, as well as reducing the amount of lateral deflection of the sidewall. It makes the car feel more responsive, and it just makes it straight up easier to drive.

Unless you're massively overinflating your tyres to the point where you're seriously reducing your contact patch, it's an incredibly useful adjustment that you have to do as part of your safety checks anyway. Honestly, it takes you all of a minute at the service station to put your tyres at 35psi instead of 30.

If you don't want to do it then fine, but then you're not treating the game as a sim. If you're adjusting suspension without first having at least attempted to optimise your tyre pressures, then you're wasting your time.

For tracking your road car you should set cold pressures slightly below manufacturer recommended pressures for road use, because the pressure will increase with the heat you'll be putting into them, and your ultimate aim for hot pressures is only a few psi above the manufacturer recommendations.

Say for example, you're meant to set pressures at 32psi as per your car's manual, then at the track you should set the cold pressure to something like 28psi, and go out and turn some laps, then come in and check the pressures after 10 - 15 mins, and you'll find what your hot pressures are looking like. Your aim for hot pressures in this case would be 35psi. if you are off that mark, you adjust them to suit, go back out, and turn more laps. Your tyres will stabilise at your target hot pressure when you've done this, and then you can come in and make small adjustments to suit how your car is feeling, so to reduce understeer/oversteer a little.

Of course it also helps if you have a temp probe to check for uniform temp across the tyre width, and most track tyres, assuming you're running dedicated track tyres, have a triangle indicator on the shoulder which, when the pressures are set optimally, will have the wear footprint extend about halfway into it. If the edge of the wear stops before the triangle, you have too much pressure, and if it's extending through the entire triangle, you haven't got enough.

Optimal tyre pressure will also be dependent on the tyre's load rating, and of course the weight of your car. Aiming for 35-40 psi hot pressure would be for large cars 1500kgs and over, but if your car weighs around 1000kgs, you'd be aiming for somewhere in the 24-30, maybe 32 psi range.

If PD aims to make the tyre model realistic, then it will be vital that they allow users to adjust tyre pressures, as every car will need different pressures. Even identical race cars will benefit from different pressures if they have different set ups.

For tracking your road car you should set cold pressures slightly below manufacturer recommended pressures for road use, because the pressure will increase with the heat you'll be putting into them, and your ultimate aim for hot pressures is only a few psi above the manufacturer recommendations.

Depends on the manufacturers recommendations, I suppose. The cars I've owned have had woefully soft recommended pressures, to improve general ride comfort probably.

For example, my NA MX5 has a recommended cold tyre pressure of 24psi. This is stupidly soft, even for the road. On the track you're sort of aiming for around 32-35 hot depending on what size wheels and tyres you've got on it and how aggressive you went with your camber setup. Which tends to be somewhere from about 26-30 cold, depending on how long you actually get on track. Some track days have very short stints.

Personally, I've not had good experience following manufacturer recommendations at all, but people's mileage will vary. I agree that it needs to be adjustable precisely for these reasons, there's not an "optimum" pressure for any car, especially with variable weather and conditions.

Of course it also helps if you have a temp probe to check for uniform temp across the tyre width, and most track tyres, assuming you're running dedicated track tyres, have a triangle indicator on the shoulder which, when the pressures are set optimally, will have the wear footprint extend about halfway into it. If the edge of the wear stops before the triangle, you have too much pressure, and if it's extending through the entire triangle, you haven't got enough.

There's a trick for this. Get some chalk and draw some on your sidewalls and all the way down to the tread. You'll be able to see exactly how far the tyre is rolling over unless you're absolutely monstering the curbs. Cheap and effective, and you only need a lap or two to be able to read it.

They should just do this or something like it.
20151230_085700.jpg

Depends on the manufacturers recommendations, I suppose. The cars I've owned have had woefully soft recommended pressures, to improve general ride comfort probably.

For example, my NA MX5 has a recommended cold tyre pressure of 24psi. This is stupidly soft, even for the road. On the track you're sort of aiming for around 32-35 hot depending on what size wheels and tyres you've got on it and how aggressive you went with your camber setup. Which tends to be somewhere from about 26-30 cold, depending on how long you actually get on track. Some track days have very short stints.

Personally, I've not had good experience following manufacturer recommendations at all, but people's mileage will vary. I agree that it needs to be adjustable precisely for these reasons, there's not an "optimum" pressure for any car, especially with variable weather and conditions.

There's a trick for this. Get some chalk and draw some on your sidewalls and all the way down to the tread. You'll be able to see exactly how far the tyre is rolling over unless you're absolutely monstering the curbs. Cheap and effective, and you only need a lap or two to be able to read it.

Yeah of course I was talking about pressure ranges for nice weather, everything changes with the weather. That's quite shocking Mazda's recommended pressures are so low. 24 pound would cause woeful shoulder wear on the road...

Toyota recommends 34psi cold for speeds under highway speed, and 39psi at highway speeds and over, and get this: 46psi at full loads and over 130kph! Way too much that last one, but I guess it would decrease rolling resistance lol.

On track, as the car weighs 1400kgs, the hot aim would be 35psi, so I'd have to start well below the manufacturer recommendations. This is true for the majority of cars, and I'm still shocked by that Mazda recommendation.

In any case, I think these last few posts prove that there are people playing these games who know how to use pressures, and how crucial adjusting pressures is if a sim wants to actually simulate tyres.

Adding tire pressure and proper tire heat accumulation and dissapation would raise GTS/7 to a whole new level. Tuning then becomes much more of a fine art with various ways of approaching different tracks. I can't see GT going full sim on the tire model though, too complicated for the noobs, casuals and the faint of heart, let's just hope that the tuning that is available actually works.:odd::odd:

Adding tire pressure and proper tire heat accumulation and dissapation would raise GTS/7 to a whole new level. Tuning then becomes much more of a fine art with various ways of approaching different tracks. I can't see GT going full sim on the tire model though, too complicated for the noobs, casuals and the faint of heart, let's just hope that the tuning that is available actually works.:odd::odd:
Well LFS did it, and it was released in 2003, why can't GT do it? :D

Say for example, you're meant to set pressures at 32psi as per your car's manual, then at the track you should set the cold pressure to something like 28psi, and go out and turn some laps, then come in and check the pressures after 10 - 15 mins, and you'll find what your hot pressures are looking like. Your aim for hot pressures in this case would be 35psi. if you are off that mark, you adjust them to suit, go back out, and turn more laps. Your tyres will stabilise at your target hot pressure when you've done this, and then you can come in and make small adjustments to suit how your car is feeling, so to reduce understeer/oversteer a little.

Optimal tyre pressure will also be dependent on the tyre's load rating, and of course the weight of your car. Aiming for 35-40 psi hot pressure would be for large cars 1500kgs and over, but if your car weighs around 1000kgs, you'd be aiming for somewhere in the 24-30, maybe 32 psi range.

If PD aims to make the tyre model realistic, then it will be vital that they allow users to adjust tyre pressures, as every car will need different pressures. Even identical race cars will benefit from different pressures if they have different set ups.

Or you can set it to something stupid like 45 psi for drifting. :D

Last edited:

I don't think it matters for casuals, sure it may be a bit daunting if they peek in the set up menus, but surely if they don't know how to set up a car, they'd just leave it stock. The big problem I think is that casuals expect to be as fast as people who know how to set up a car, so they don't want set ups to make too big a difference, this gives me the *****, as I want GT to get more realistic and at least match Pcars realism, but y'know, without the bugs preferably lol.

In my opinion, if you want to be topping leaderboards without learning about setting up a car or how it works, go play games like Driveclub, which is a brilliant racing game, but has no modifying or setting up of the cars. If you want to play a sim, but don't want to learn how a car works or how to set one up, then don't expect to be on the same level as the people who do. It's that simple.

GT is at something of a crossroads. It can continue in the direction that PD started with GT6, dumbing the game down and making it more open to casuals, and less catered to the sim crowd, or they can go in the sim direction, and use driver aids and things like the dynamic racing line to help keep the game accessible to all. In my opinion, with the FIA partnership, and the continued success of the GT Academy, it would be a bad decision to move more in the arcade side of simcade, and it'd be much better to move the physics in a more realistic direction.

I will say though, that given the words on their official website, it certainly sounds like they're at least trying to make GTS much more realistic than past games. Their claim is literally "The graphics, sound and physics engine will be the most realistic ever experienced in a driving simulator", and that's an enormous claim. Even if they only slightly live up to those claims, GTS will be far more realistic than anything else on console.

As always though, I'm skeptical lol.

That'd be a bad idea, I imagine once hot, the tyres would be at a dangerous pressure, as they'd get extremely hot when drifting. I also know from a few friends who drift (I've never gotten into it irl tbh), that you actually need as much grip as you can get, unless you have a gutless car. The best drifters use powerful, high-torque cars, with proper sticky track tyres. The torque can overcome the sticky tyres, but the immense grip makes it easier to regain grip, and transition.

The PC Master race just accepts that there is a learning curve with a racing sim and likes to tinker to figure out how everything works. GT certainly could do it, but it's a daunting task making a realistic tire model work on hundreds of cars that come with at least 9 tarmac compounds each and the complexity of it could scare off some of the casual players.

In my opinion, if you want to be topping leaderboards without learning about setting up a car or how it works, go play games like Driveclub, which is a brilliant racing game, but has no modifying or setting up of the cars. If you want to play a sim, but don't want to learn how a car works or how to set one up, then don't expect to be on the same level as the people who do. It's that simple.
This to me is an easy problem to solve if they really see it as an issue. If there are leaderboards in GTS, you have leaderboards for tuned and untuned cars or a single leaderboard with the ability to sort for tuning vs. no tuning.

If we look at GT Sport and GT7 as different models under the same brand, then it should make sense. GT Sport is for the serious sim racer and GT7 is for the casual gamer. There are two different markets to serve now and I'm sure PD has realized it's almost impossible to adequately serve both with just one product.

Also the competition in both markets is pretty intense so they need to develop two different products to avoid being caught in the middle of the niches and losing market share. Having a product without a clear identity is basically death in the business world.

GT7 should continue on the path being set by GT6 now and serve the enthusiast crowd more. Most of the open lobbies these days are for drag racing or screwing around in the Red Bull at SSR10 (in the US anyway). A beefed up sim would largely go wasted with that crowd. So have the traditional GT series compete with Forza like it has for a while now.

GT Sport can compete with PCars, iRacing and Assetto Corsa and it absolutely should add the most realistic set of tuning features possible, including tire pressures. And with the FIA partnership, it doesn't make much sense to offer a simcade experience to the crowd for that market.

That being said, PD have a lot of work to do if they want to make an impression in the hardcore sim market. They definitely have the resources available to make better tire, surface, aero, etc models but the other guys have been at it a while now.

I wrote way more here than I planned on.....

If we look at GT Sport and GT7 as different models under the same brand, then it should make sense. GT Sport is for the serious sim racer and GT7 is for the casual gamer. There are two different markets to serve now and I'm sure PD has realized it's almost impossible to adequately serve both with just one product.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round, i'm starting to think that GTSport is only a testbed for GT6's models put on PS4, in order to not start from a scratch by the time they will start developing GT7.
As much as i'd love to be free to do whatever i want with tire pressure and positive cambers, my guess is that we won't be seeing much about that because working around a decent tire simulation would be something extremely time consuming and a total waste of resources at this very moment.

GT Sport can compete with PCars, iRacing and Assetto Corsa and it absolutely should add the most realistic set of tuning features possible, including tire pressures. And with the FIA partnership, it doesn't make much sense to offer a simcade experience to the crowd for that market.
You don't compete with other sims making it the same as others but that's just me, by the way the fia partnership only means that we'll be playing simulated category events with a FIA regulated point system ( that i've got yet to understand) nothing more nothing less, so let's keep expectations at an acceptable level and hope for the best.

45 pi is not stupid :) 40-80 psi can be used depending on the car power and tire used ( have seen 400ps R33 with sticky radial ran close to 80psi ). Generally 32 psi hot all around for well balanced car, but pros ( D1 ) can also run as low as 20psi for more forward grip / bite. There are a lot of suspension setup aspect that affect what tire pressure is ideal, along with track condition, wheel/rim, tires ( hipari or not ) and car power. Hipari tires uses high pressure.

Low power car like Corolla or stock engine FR S chassis may use up to 50psi at the rear to get sideways:)

Last edited:
45 pi is not stupid :) 40-80 psi can be used depending on the car power and tire used ( have seen 400ps R33 with sticky radial ran close to 80psi ). Generally 32 psi hot all around for well balanced car, but pros ( D1 ) can also run as low as 20psi for more forward grip / bite. There are a lot of suspension setup aspect that affect what tire pressure is ideal, along with track condition, wheel/rim, tires ( hipari or not ) and car power. Hipari tires uses high pressure.

Low power car like Corolla or stock engine FR S chassis may use up to 50psi at the rear to get sideways:)
Takumis tire pressures CONFIRMED! haha

Takumis tire pressures CONFIRMED! haha

How high or how low depends also on how much grip you want to dial in, and if you already run sticky tires like RE-01R, you tend to raise tire pressure ( depending also on engine power/torque )

I haven't found a sim that can simulate drift style driving / setup really well ( gymkhana, slalom, manji, tsuiso etc ) - I also haven't tried AC :P, though I have LFS for a along time ( not bad for drifting ) and PS2 D1GP game series ( 2005 and 2006 ) which although has simplified physics and preset setups, surprisingly very good ( has clutch function )

How high or how low depends also on how much grip you want to dial in, and if you already run sticky tires like RE-01R, you tend to raise tire pressure ( depending also on engine power/torque )

I haven't found a sim that can simulate drift style driving / setup really well ( gymkhana, slalom, manji, tsuiso etc ) - I also haven't tried AC :P, though I have LFS for a along time ( not bad for drifting ) and PS2 D1GP game series ( 2005 and 2006 ) which although has simplified physics and preset setups, surprisingly very good ( has clutch function )
LFS is way better than GT6 for drifting.

LFS is way better than GT6 for drifting.

I only used my DS2 with LFS, so it's not really good, wheel would be different of course :) Anyone here ever played PS2 D1GP official game ? That's what drifting is all about :D - at least simulate clutch kick technique.

LFS simulates clutch kick also, and you can kill the clutch. :D

I'm aware of that :P I just miss the S chassis cars and AE86 or others drift cars from real life, they are not in LFS ( no mods yet ) :D Doing Manji in LFS is a pain with DS2, at least it doable on D1GP PS2 :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round, i'm starting to think that GTSport is only a testbed for GT6's models put on PS4, in order to not start from a scratch by the time they will start developing GT7.
As much as i'd love to be free to do whatever i want with tire pressure and positive cambers, my guess is that we won't be seeing much about that because working around a decent tire simulation would be something extremely time consuming and a total waste of resources at this very moment.

You don't compete with other sims making it the same as others but that's just me, by the way the fia partnership only means that we'll be playing simulated category events with a FIA regulated point system ( that i've got yet to understand) nothing more nothing less, so let's keep expectations at an acceptable level and hope for the best.

I guess we'll see what PD does with it. Maybe it is just an opportunity for them to do some
testing for physics and gameplay on the PS4, sorta like Prologue was before GT5. I just don't see why they would market a motorsports experience if they don't deliver a product that matches at least the PCars level of performance.

If an auto maker comes out with a new sports car that doesn't match its rivals in performance, that does make an impact in the mind of a potential buyer. You can differentiate the product in many different ways. Or perhaps they are trying to find a new market niche. I just think it would be very easy for GT Sport to get lost in the middle of the existing products if PD doesn't give it more of a real sim feel. I'm just making an educated guess by saying that PCars may have stolen some market share from GT and this is PD's response to that.

Those are some really good points you bring up. It'll be interesting to see how the game turns out. And I was under the impression that the FIA would endorse an actual championship within the game, so thus my expectation that the physics (tire, surface, aero, suspension, tuning, and everything else that falls under that term) would be match that level of "officiality," for lack of a better term. Or maybe the enhanced tuning conflicts with the whole accessible for everyone thing. I guess we'll find out eventually.

You don't compete with other sims making it the same as others but that's just me...

No, but you have to be able to be at least on an equivalent level. GT's tyre model doesn't need to be the same as anyone else's but it at least needs to be roughly equivalent. Ditto tuning and such.

They don't need to be the same, but they do need to have a valid argument as to why their solutions might be preferable to those in other games.

If an auto maker comes out with a new sports car that doesn't match its rivals in performance, that does make an impact in the mind of a potential buyer. You can differentiate the product in many different ways. Or perhaps they are trying to find a new market niche. I just think it would be very easy for GT Sport to get lost in the middle of the existing products if PD doesn't give it more of a real sim feel. I'm just making an educated guess by saying that PCars may have stolen some market share from GT and this is PD's response to that.
Drawing the line from what we think the next gt needs and what are the real omissions here should be a must before approaching this subject, speaking of game physics the omissions aren't that much because a real basic tire simulation is already in game. Said simulation can be seen maybe during lap on the nurburgring; the higher kerbs will make the car lose control, sure i'd like to see a more in-depth simulation but the latest seasonal ( the one on the eifel) showed something that i wasn't even aware of after 2 years: the humidity percentage will show the driving line humidity, parts of the track will be very slippery and if you think about it, it's amazing.
Less amazing is the fact that without the driving aid of said driving line, you would have no idea of where the dry track is ( because there is no visual difference on the track) and this can be a big problem if we see this feature in a custom track context; you barely know the track and without the highlighted driving line you'd be lost.
No, but you have to be able to be at least on an equivalent level. GT's tyre model doesn't need to be the same as anyone else's but it at least needs to be roughly equivalent. Ditto tuning and such.
Basically you're saying "not necessarily same as others, but different from its before games"...right?
When GTS will come out there will be many eyes looking up to it for many reasons; to see if it's still fit for the competition, for it's historical importance in defining a brand, i think there are some aces still up PD's sleeves at the moment; we've barely seen a teaser let's wait for a gameplay trailer.

Drawing the line from what we think the next gt needs and what are the real omissions here should be a must before approaching this subject, speaking of game physics the omissions aren't that much because a real basic tire simulation is already in game. Said simulation can be seen maybe during lap on the nurburgring; the higher kerbs will make the car lose control, sure i'd like to see a more in-depth simulation but the latest seasonal ( the one on the eifel) showed something that i wasn't even aware of after 2 years: the humidity percentage will show the driving line humidity, parts of the track will be very slippery and if you think about it, it's amazing.
Less amazing is the fact that without the driving aid of said driving line, you would have no idea of where the dry track is ( because there is no visual difference on the track) and this can be a big problem if we see this feature in a custom track context; you barely know the track and without the highlighted driving line you'd be lost.

Basically you're saying "not necessarily same as others, but different from its before games"...right?
When GTS will come out there will be many eyes looking up to it for many reasons; to see if it's still fit for the competition, for it's historical importance in defining a brand, i think there are some aces still up PD's sleeves at the moment; we've barely seen a teaser let's wait for a gameplay trailer.
The simulation elements you're talking about above have little or nothing to do with the tire model. Track conditions or a dynamic track is a part of the track physics and bouncing off curbs is a part of the overall car and environment physics. The GT tire model as it currently stands is both simplistic and broken. No tire pressure adjustments, heat is magically accumulated and shed at fantasy level speed, no sidewall flex or tire deformation, no flatspotting or graining etc. and camber doesn't work. That doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive and doesn't feel good with a wheel, but from a pure simulation standpoint the GT tire model lags behind every other sim on the market. They have a long way to go to live up to their own claims of "greatest sim racer ever made" (paraphrasing).

The simulation elements you're talking about above have little or nothing to do with the tire model. Track conditions or a dynamic track is a part of the track physics and bouncing off curbs is a part of the overall car and environment physics.

:eek:

Frictional resistance to the relative motion of two solid objects is usually proportional to the force which presses the surfaces together as well as the roughness of the surfaces.

I agree that it needs to be adjustable precisely for these reasons, there's not an "optimum" pressure for any car, especially with variable weather and conditions.

:eek:

Except there is because of the physics that govern it all and tyre specifications that conform to and account for such variations?
Unless you meant "there is not ONE optimum pressure".

It has a big impact on the car's behavior, so, naturally, yes (imo)

Just 2 of the many things they need to implement in order to at least catch up.

Unless you meant "there is not ONE optimum pressure".

Of course that's what I meant. Since when can "an optimum pressure" be multiple optimal pressures? Is it even really optimal if there are several of them?

There is an (one, for those that find this difficult) optimum pressure for any given set of conditions. When those conditions change, the optimum pressure may change as well. So far, I don't think a car and tyre has been developed where one pressure is optimum for all conditions, and so there are a range of pressures and which one is optimal at any given moment depends on what the prevailing conditions are. Arguably even the driver and his or her style makes a difference, although it's usually so small that it's unlikely to matter.

Which means that in general terms, there is not an (one) optimal pressure for any car that remains optimal regardless of other factors. And as there would then be multiple "optimum" pressures, there is in fact no general optimum at all.

Not one.
None.
Zero.

GT's physics on the PS4 can actually go more indepth sim but the thing is it needs to be accessible to everyone, optimised for both wheels and controllers WELL and most of all, it must be inviting.

My issue with Project CARS (Pretty much the only Sim I've tried properly) is that despite the game having indepth physics though they tried to be accessible, it's the least bit inviting and it's frustrating to play on a controller. If you're trying to attract more people into the world of Sims then that's not really the way I rate.

Compared to GT and Forza (which I've been touching on lately here and there) they're inviting to tinker with. Especially with GT and its little trinkets like the Apex book from GT5 and other sources. However I think that with departure from physical game manuals, on the fly guides and the choice of levels of depth depending on how deep the player wants to go should show their faces.
That way the game doesn't lose its pick up and play ability so to speak and specialty of setting up a beast of a car remains.

I hope I explained myself properly.

GT's physics on the PS4 can actually go more indepth sim but the thing is it needs to be accessible to everyone, optimised for both wheels and controllers WELL and most of all, it must be inviting.

My issue with Project CARS (Pretty much the only Sim I've tried properly) is that despite the game having indepth physics though they tried to be accessible, it's the least bit inviting and it's frustrating to play on a controller. If you're trying to attract more people into the world of Sims then that's not really the way I rate.

Compared to GT and Forza (which I've been touching on lately here and there) they're inviting to tinker with. Especially with GT and its little trinkets like the Apex book from GT5 and other sources. However I think that with departure from physical game manuals, on the fly guides and the choice of levels of depth depending on how deep the player wants to go should show their faces.
That way the game doesn't lose its pick up and play ability so to speak and specialty of setting up a beast of a car remains.

I hope I explained myself properly.
I have steering wheel but prefer to play game with DS3 (pick up and play, don't need to pick wheel from box) Also my dad like to play GT, we both play GT from 99 and he drive GT on X and square from the beginning and he tell me that cars are to sensitive on analog stick for his taste (so I need to turn TC on 2-3 for him so he could drive car with more than 500 hp at all)... Am driving on analog and TC 0. Even when my friend come to me i beet them all with 30+ second when we use car with more that 4500 hp because they can control car property... So yeah game should stay in balance for both wheel and DS3 users...

Back