Gran Turismo Sport Update 1.62 Arrives, Adds Toyota GR Yaris

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 270 comments
Loving this car. You can tell when Japanese car makers put actual effort, their passion shows through. The GR Supra doesn't have that. The GR Yaris has spades of personality and charm. I watched the videos in Brand Central - I wish every car manufacturer CEO is like Morizo :bowdown:

In the time trial, I expected it to understeer on dirt like any other road car, put I actually almost spun on the first corner :lol: That diff is working magic I tell you. This thing drives better on dirt than some Gr.B cars :crazy: The powerband is a bit odd though, acceleration tails off after around 3/4 rev bar. Was also expecting a F:R torque split adjustment because it mentions in the press release that the real car can switch between 60/40 (Normal), 50/50 (Track) and 30/70 (Sport), but none here in game. Also the interior screen is blank for some reason (most cars that have a screen displays some page or at least the car brand logo). Minor complaint, the "High performance" in the name is a bit silly. What, are they going to make a "Low performance" version? :lol:

On asphalt I feel it's a bit wobbly. Probably because of the tall height and short wheelbase. It's playful but not the fastest way around a track. No concerns of it displacing the SFR Concept as N300 meta then :lol:

Other stuff, the new Nissan logo is super weird. I notice a lot of manufacturers are moving away from the quasi-3D look to a flat logo these days (see VW and BMW's recent change). Also why do they need to remove Mazda's 100 Year decals? :irked:

Penalty change - too little too late. I haven't tested but the official season is done anyways so the ship has sailed. I don't know why they still bother at this point because all they do is make it worse every update.

Last edited:
I put a tune on it I found on YT. The car is flat out amazing.

I was able to beat all the Gr4 cars by the start of the 1st Karussel on the 2nd lap. N300 265km/h max.

The handling defies physics. Only had thing is very slight braking instability and it feels like its because of the low weight.

Not much vices in the car with a tune. The car has a great flow. I actually felt a bit sick with it on the "Ring given the car seems to be so effortlessly fast without much need for any sort of harsh braking.

$174,000 for 2 laps + clean race bonus. By 2nd lap its about a 7'30" time with *some* traffic.

SO far I've only done 4 laps of the "Ring and its been hugely enjoyable.

I put a tune on it I found on YT. The car is flat out amazing.

I was able to beat all the Gr4 cars by the start of the 1st Karussel on the 2nd lap. N300 265km/h max.

The handling defies physics. Only had thing is very slight braking instability and it feels like its because of the low weight.

Not much vices in the car with a tune. The car has a great flow. I actually felt a bit sick with it on the "Ring given the car seems to be so effortlessly fast without much need for any sort of harsh braking.

$174,000 for 2 laps + clean race bonus. By 2nd lap its about a 7'30" time with *some* traffic.

SO far I've only done 4 laps of the "Ring and its been hugely enjoyable.
Could you share the link, please? I want to give it a try.

I ran N300 at Route X and it topped out at 280km/h. Started last and moved up to 15th as the AI tripped over each other. Finished 19th, as cars just blew past me. The theoretical 294km/h in 6th, just wasn't happening.

I did a run by lowering the car and faired worse.

As for the car on dirt, it's easily my favorite over the Gr.B cars. On tarmac, so much grip on those SH. I'll tune one like the Super Taikyu Rookie Racing race car.

About the High Performance designation, there is a "low performance" version. That's the one I saw in my post above. It's rated at 257hp.:rolleyes: The JDM is 268hp.

Was hoping the infotainment screen, would at least have "Toyota" or "GR Yaris" displayed. Anyway, great addition to the game. Love driving it on wet tracks.

I had underestimated this hot hatch, it's one very fast car

I do hate the fact that it only stays at N300, would've loved to make this an N500

I had underestimated this hot hatch, it's one very fast car

I do hate the fact that it only stays at N300, would've loved to make this an N500

Finally, someone is seeing the light. Even pocket rockets can be more fun than a supercar.

And no, it wouldn't be possible for Toyota to build a 3-cylinder that can generate 500 HP. Unless their R&D won't allow making the hot hatch uber-expensive, then by all means, they can copy Koenigsegg's method.

Last edited:
In Canada the cost is 45,000 credits. Why are top ten times mostly outside NA?

Gran Turismo, the real GRMN simulator

I welcome this car... its already a bit of a cult car.

Its about a $40k car where I am... say $30k usd but for the same money you can have a WRX or a loaded Toyota 86 or a high spec RAV4 or diesel truck like a Nissan Navara.... so the $100k price tag is weird but really... who cares... we all have $100k in game we dont need!

260hp or so? So low N300? Sounds ok.

Also 4wd means it'll put it all down to the road and who can be unhappy with a car that is strictly MANUAL only... in 2020!

Ready to bang this thing around the "Ring to see what it can do against the GT4 cars.

Only manual in real life...but thank God you can have auto in the game. My old arthritic fingers and response time mean my times are faster with auto. I have won 4 races on auto since I started 4.5 months ago. I'm 75 years old. I'll bet a lot of racers use auto but are shy to admit it. Anyway, I envy the young drivers' reaction times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much surprise to see that the Yaris is a real killer on the dirt track.

Against an N1000 I was able to lap the single AI by the 10th lap in the 3.3km Sardegna course.

Terribly boring though.

They should be showcasing the performance in the leagues sport etc.

Only manual in real life...but thank God you can have auto in the game. My old arthritic fingers and response time mean my times are faster with auto. I have won 4 races on auto since I started 4.5 months ago. I'm 75 years old. I'll bet a lot of racers use auto but are shy to admit it. Anyway, I envy the young drivers' reaction times!

Remember when the game was launched there was a trailer which said the game was for those aged "7 to 77"...

You've got 2 years left :lol:

I play automatic too, personally my reactions are too slow and I find it enough work to keep the car on the road at high speed, without trying to remember press gear levers as well...

As long as you're enjoying the game and hopefully enjoying the new Grrrrrrrrrrrr Yaris 👍

Just pulled off a 1:04.4 in the Yaris at Tsukuba. No aids besides ABS at default. No upgrades or tuning of any kind.

It's closest competitors might be the Mercedes A45 AMG '13, WRX STI '14 and Lancer Evo '15.

Last edited:
Real smooth driving. I am going to try it using both auto and gears!

Remember when the game was launched there was a trailer which said the game was for those aged "7 to 77"...

You've got 2 years left :lol:

I play automatic too, personally my reactions are too slow and I find it enough work to keep the car on the road at high speed, without trying to remember press gear levers as well...

As long as you're enjoying the game and hopefully enjoying the new Grrrrrrrrrrrr Yaris 👍

That's what my doctor said too! But at least within 2 years I get to travel the world via GT SPORT! lol

This car is great fun to zip around in! I don't get into all of the technical details, but all I know is I had a blast for a few hours on Saturday running time trials, GT League events, custom races, whatever I could think of in this car.

And if there is a big pickup truck blocking the entire lane on the Nordschleife? No problem. The grass works just fine with this car :).

GR Yaris.jpg

Something is missing. I see unique and relentless cars when I look at homologation specials from the past, but this GR Yaris gives me a generic “performance package” vibe. Drives fine though.

Something is missing. I see unique and relentless cars when I look at homologation specials from the past, but this GR Yaris gives me a generic “performance package” vibe. Drives fine though.
I think it's unique in today's modern car choices.

I think it's unique in today's modern car choices.

Yes, in terms of performance for its class. No, in terms of appearance. You get equal amounts of sporty aero parts on a car like the latest Suzuki Swift Sport, and that wasn’t even born out of motorsports.

Last edited:
I did a couple of runs with the Yaris at Tsukuba. Really nimble and fun to drive. I was worried that it would suffer alot from the typical understeer you find in many 4WD cars, but that's not the case with this car. But it really feels at home on dirt tracks like Fisherman's Ranch. It can give even the Subbies and Evos there a good run for their money.

Yes, in terms of performance for its class. No, in terms of appearance. You get equal amounts of sporty aero parts on a car like the latest Suzuki Swift Sport, and that wasn’t even born out of motorsports.
There are a couple more GRMN variants in the works. Think I've posted a few pics of a test car on the 'Ring. Shows cannards on the front, air vents on the side and a big spoiler on the roof.

Luv your cats drawing. I Have 3. That is why I selected Catrastrophic as my driving name! Spelled wrong but Sony won't accept the spelling change. lol

i wish we could turn off those reflections in game. i mean for other cars who dont have something to reflect on its maybe fine but with that large screen there its real time reflections going on and they look so bad there. and its not on normal ps4 its on ps4 pro.
i mean car is cool and all detailed nice, but those jagged lines specially in reflections, and on windscreen
EnB5N3oXIAEofHG

Last edited:
Ok I found a track where it doesnt work so well. I knew this would be the case but may as well try it.

N300 Yaris with a tune vs. GT4s

10 laps on Interlagos. I would do fuel and tyre wear.... if you do no tyre wear and no fuel you're going do better.

However here the car is behind the 8 ball as there are lots of slow hairpins = understeer and tyre wear.

and fast corners which you need to take flat out and there's a heap of straights so 400hp+ cars will disappear you since you only have 330hp.

I thought winning all the time at Nurburgring would settle it.

On the plus side the car has really good fuel economy. Unfortunately the FWD GT4 cars also have good economy and they see to have sufficient power to negate the fact that are only FWD. They also seem to have nicer and more steady cornering but they are race cars and you are not.

Back