GTP_WRS'ers and their ride...

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 658 comments
@Gravitron ...

Lucas, it's on all the premium cars, along with leather, heated and cooled seats, dual zone climate, sync etc...

Just making me more excited thinking about it. Was going to pick it up today, but the car comes with summer tires that I wanted them to swap to all season tires (since it's a DD), and the new rubber won't be in until next week :ouch:

Updates? (Pics, or it didn't happen) :dopey:

IMO, you should have gone for seasonal optimization, keep the summers and get a set of winter tires and wheels. That's what I did when I moved here to Boise. :) Not for the Challenger, of course. It stays in the garage in the winter.

Well, figured I would show off my lasted "work in process" along with a couple new goodies for it.

Meet the new project
View attachment 572890

All stock Fire Breathing 70 whp :-) Speed major Speed. :-). The main goal is getting weight down. With rough calculations that have been made with a rather neanderthal method of weighing items the car has been reduced down to roughly 1857 lbs. From her starting curb weight of 2167 lbs. Not a bad diet. Wish I could lose weight that easily.

View attachment 572892
View attachment 572893

Still playing the weight game, but I can probably get at least another 100 lbs. Out of her before she will be sent out to get a proper cage built in her.

Now 70 whp of performance would not really suffice, but because I am building this to be an endurance car I am not overly concerned of outright performance right now. That will come in time.

With that, what is a non-Vtec Honda to do, go grab a cheap SOHC D16Z6 and drop her in. Although the 'new' engine is not currently in her she will eventually get dropped in. Say Hello to a blistering quick 100 whp and say good bye until she will return from the machine shop

Nice. 👍 You are caging it, does that mean you plan to race it in Grass Roots of some sort, or is it going to be a track day/auto-x special?

More importantly, when I saw your post, I thought for sure I was going to see a Miata. Do you, or did you ever have your namesake car? Rotary Miata is intriguing. :)

EDK

IMO, you should have gone for seasonal optimization, keep the summers and get a set of winter tires and wheels. That's what I did when I moved here to Boise. :) Not for the Challenger, of course. It stays in the garage in the winter.

Nice. 👍 You are caging it, does that mean you plan to race it in Grass Roots of some sort, or is it going to be a track day/auto-x special?

More importantly, when I saw your post, I thought for sure I was going to see a Miata. Do you, or did you ever have your namesake car? Rotary Miata is intriguing. :)

The car is offcially going to be a 'Lemons Car' at first. I haven't even gotten to the Suspension upgrades yet and the future plans for it. I am heavily reading the NASA Honda Challenge rule books while building this car and there are going to be 2 different routes I will take with this. If the Honda Challenge rules start to restrict what I plan to do over the years to this car, I am going to dedicate it to Time Attacks and HPDE programs with the Audi CCA. If not it will be a full tilt Honda Challenge car.

I made to move to the Darkside many years ago to Honda. I will pick up another Roadster at one point or another., but now is not the time. Funny though, all these Hondas keep popping up at improbable to beat prices with spares so I keep going back even though I have tried getting away from Hondas.

As for a Rotary Miata, yes when I first joined this forum I had a 93 miata which my father did all the fab work on, while he taught me about suspension, brakes, and engine work. Unfortunately, that car was totalled while I was at work. Some yahoo in a lifted truck had reversed over the rear end into the driver compartment totalling the car... it was a very sad day.

Hey @miata13B get your buns to weekly racing.....and yes I am still (eternally?) slower than you are.
Haha, yeah but I bet you don't spin out as much as I do currently ;-). Yeah I have been itching to get back online with everyone, ran into Flip and Socal online a bit doing some testing.

I can't make Wednesday nights, and every Saturday I have been meaning to jump on but I find the garage is always calling my name along with the Big Boss giving me the Hunni list ;-).

The car is offcially going to be a 'Lemons Car' at first. I haven't even gotten to the Suspension upgrades yet and the future plans for it. I am heavily reading the NASA Honda Challenge rule books while building this car and there are going to be 2 different routes I will take with this. If the Honda Challenge rules start to restrict what I plan to do over the years to this car, I am going to dedicate it to Time Attacks and HPDE programs with the Audi CCA. If not it will be a full tilt Honda Challenge car.

I made to move to the Darkside many years ago to Honda. I will pick up another Roadster at one point or another., but now is not the time. Funny though, all these Hondas keep popping up at improbable to beat prices with spares so I keep going back even though I have tried getting away from Hondas.

As for a Rotary Miata, yes when I first joined this forum I had a 93 miata which my father did all the fab work on, while he taught me about suspension, brakes, and engine work. Unfortunately, that car was totalled while I was at work. Some yahoo in a lifted truck had reversed over the rear end into the driver compartment totalling the car... it was a very sad day.
That's cool, I'm not sure if you found my thread or followed my sig link, but I have done a fair bit of Lemons-Like racing. Never driven FF, but have driven a laundry list for FR and MR.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/edks-real-life-racing-exploits.230424/
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/edks-real-life-racing-exploits.230424/
One of the Civics we've raced against is a SWB model, he actually cut a foot or so out of the car. Wish I had some pics handy.

Project Rust Elimination is in full swing!

DSC_1621.JPG

DSC_1622.JPG DSC_1623.JPG DSC_1624.JPG DSC_1625.JPG

EDK

Funny, I haven't been on here in months and finally logged on last week, and now you've quoted an old post. So yes, I did get the car and I did enjoy driving it. That was over a year ago though, and since then it's been sold, along with my house in MI, and in Jan this year, we returned to live and work in the UK for the first time since 2005. My daily is now an F30 BMW 330D which is almost as fast as the Mustang in real world terms but gets 51mpg (42mpg US gallon). Fuel economy never bothered me in the US because a) I only did 8000 miles a year, and; b) gas was cheap. Now I'm doing 20k a year and fuel is waaaaaay more expensive!

Hope everyone is doing well around this corner of the forum. Miss my WRS days, but don't see much of a chance to get back to any regular track action.

Funny, I haven't been on here in months and finally logged on last week, and now you've quoted an old post. So yes, I did get the car and I did enjoy driving it. That was over a year ago though, and since then it's been sold, along with my house in MI, and in Jan this year, we returned to live and work in the UK for the first time since 2005. My daily is now an F30 BMW 330D which is almost as fast as the Mustang in real world terms but gets 51mpg (42mpg US gallon). Fuel economy never bothered me in the US because a) I only did 8000 miles a year, and; b) gas was cheap. Now I'm doing 20k a year and fuel is waaaaaay more expensive!

Hope everyone is doing well around this corner of the forum. Miss my WRS days, but don't see much of a chance to get back to any regular track action.
2015 FTW. :dopey: :dunce:

I wish I would have known you are there now, we spent 2.5 weeks in the UK in June. Our rental car was a Skoda Rapid, we drove ~1,400 miles.

I would not want to drive a Mustang there, either. :)

I considered a 330d when we bought our Optima, but they are really tough to find with low miles here, and I was not in the market for the price of a new one.

My '78 F-150 has been in the shop for about a year now. I had the engine rebuilt and an injection setup installed, then took it for full paint.

It was black from the factory, but I upgraded to a modern pearl black with clear coat. I looked at several on the lots, but my favorite color is the Chrysler pearl black that they put on just about anything black in their range, including Jeeps, but also including Challengers.

It goes back to the mechanic shop tomorrow for exhaust and a few minor cleanup items.

It's 2WD, so will be parked in the winter. But I am hoping to get another 3 or 4 weekends of good drive time in with it before the bad weather comes along.

IMG_20171014_094105778_HDR.jpg

It looks a lot better than the old toothpick exhaust kind of hanging out the back. And my wife drives a Grand Cherokee that has that black paint you like.

It's impossible to buy an AWD SUV with manual transmission in Canada (ok, I'm not counting the Wrangler as an SUV).
So I went for the next best thing - BMW X1 x28i.
I was one minute from deciding between boring white and metallic white and then I asked if they by any chance have a new colour for 2018 model.
Turns out they do :)
I'm surprised how good the 8 speed automatic is. I thought I would hate it but in combination with torquey 2L twin turbo it's actually a lot of fun.

x1.jpg

Yes, I actually wanted something like these.

8Spoke-Chrome_s_1024x1024.jpg

But also wanted 17 inch so I could get tires like I wanted. So ended up special ordering these in 17 x 9.

https://www.uswheel.com/collections/custom-steel/products/chromedaytona

Funny thing is, while I have bemoaned your choice of NASCAR wheels on every car in GT6, it was not because they are NASCAR wheels. It's because they don't belong on a Miata. :lol:

EDK
Funny thing is, while I have bemoaned your choice of NASCAR wheels on every car in GT6, it was not because they are NASCAR wheels. It's because they don't belong on a Miata. :lol:

I don't think Lucas is going to care... I've been making fun of them too. :lol:

Since the Lancia is still sitting under a blanket in good ol' Germany (no, don't ask where exactly ;-)) I had to get a new toy to keep myself busy and broke with for here at home in SA. So this then my second, hopefully worthy, entry in this thread.
Always wanted a V8 car with a manual, always wanted an M-car, and I mean one of the older, still fully analog ones... so here is the only logical consequence: my e39 M5.
Love this thing, a real blast and soooo rewarding to drive!!! Too bad that Forza 7 is the only (modern) game I am aware of that actually features this soon to be classic/collectible :-(
GTP_Ren's e39 M5 .jpg

Last edited:
Nice one @Ren I love the E39, I've got one myself, though it's not an M5, just a 528i:

20140815_182628.JPG
20140815_182712.JPG

In Austria we are lucky to have a law allowing for 3 cars being registered on only one number plate. So I have two more:
my first ever car that I had, a '03 Ford Focus Wagon (Turnier). I'm keeping it for the sentimental value above everything else plus it's in a pristine condition and it's nice to have a wagon for the times when you need that extra space.

20131001_182949.JPG

And here's my pride and joy, a '03 Honda S2000 which I bought 3 years ago. Pristine condition as well and a great car to drive. I recently driven it during a track day on a local track and it handled itself beautifully. I'm hoping we'll see the S2000 in GTS soon :D

20150327_164235.JPG
DSC_0148.JPG

Nice one @Ren I love the E39, I've got one myself, though it's not an M5, just a 528i:

View attachment 698938 View attachment 698939

In Austria we are lucky to have a law allowing for 3 cars being registered on only one number plate. So I have two more:
my first ever car that I had, a '03 Ford Focus Wagon (Turnier). I'm keeping it for the sentimental value above everything else plus it's in a pristine condition and it's nice to have a wagon for the times when you need that extra space.

View attachment 698940

And here's my pride and joy, a '03 Honda S2000 which I bought 3 years ago. Pristine condition as well and a great car to drive. I recently driven it during a track day on a local track and it handled itself beautifully. I'm hoping we'll see the S2000 in GTS soon :D

View attachment 698941 View attachment 698942

Thanks Espial! Yes, the e39 is always a sweet ride, no-matter what engine. And it will always stay one of the best designed sedans ever made!
But that aside, holy hell man, that S2000 is the works. Never had the honor to drive one (except in games where she clearly delivers the goods!), but I read nothing but positives about her. Really nick condition, too, as you say. Keep her like that, and hang on to her, definitely a very valuable set of wheels in days to come!

Thanks, I've always dreamed about this car and now I have it... I've bought it 3 years ago but to this day there are moments that I can't believe I actually own one :D In those moments I can't help it but grin all over... must look kinda funny sometimes ^^ Plus when she revs at 6000/min and the VTEC kicks in you just can't help but scream in joy. Not that anyone is gonna hear you, she's too loud. Trust me, she delivers the goods in RL even better :mischievous:
I know, I got lucky. The previous owners did not drive her in the winter, I don't either, as the winters here are quite harsh and salty ;)
She wasn't cheap but worth every penny.
Even my girlfriend loves her so I think it's gonna be a long relationship between us :lol:

Well with those wheels, brakes, body colour, you might squint or look from a distance and think it is actually a M2 :lol:

Thank you. It is a great car. Everytime i put it in sport mode, it does something to me. I know it is not an m2. But this one also puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it....

Nice! Which one is it?
I see you have the M package, which looks great!

Latest Posts

Back