Hybriding/save hacking arrives in GT6 - Public discussion

• Thread starter tazarii
  • 458 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. The solution is simple: give people what they want, and that's more customization options.

"Nerds with too much computer knowledge for their own good..."

And to think, I once believed you were capable of presenting sound arguments in a discussion.

Thanks for the personal attack there. Good stuff.

I can see PD locking out the save restore feature. And to be honest I kind of hope they do.
The way they secure online game saves these days are by removing the client side save and putting it on the server.

The was this is done on console (devises that can work both online and off) is by saving locally but as soon as the device goes online it does a dif of very specific attributes, if a delta is detected the most graceful way to address it is to revert those attributes to normal, or just corrupt the save.

The danger is avoiding flaws in the system that could trigger and wipe legitimate saves... And making sure it updates based on game updates.

If PD have a simple definition for the boundaries of a system, then they should at least be able to flag anything that's exceeding those (still needs a dif) . Then filter them all and do as they see fit.

You can tell 90% of the people here were never around during the GameShark days on PS1.

If you want to choose the "moral high ground" then don't use them. You have as much a right to be upset as you do happy, but that does not mean that a special interest should dictate other peoples lives. Live by your own code and stop being so worried about what other people are doing.

You can tell 90% of the people here were never around during the GameShark days on PS1.

If you want to choose the "moral high ground" then don't use them. You have as much a right to be upset as you do happy, but that does not mean that a special interest should dictate other peoples lives. Live by your own code and stop being so worried about what other people are doing.
Yeah people need to just deal with it yeah someone is hacking but its to see what they can make the cars do not steal money or anything like that so i truly dont see the problem i think it should be embraced if you have the ability to re code a game to the way you want.

Thanks for the personal attack there. Good stuff.
If you consider that a personal attack, I wonder what an actual personal attack is to you. Do you consider it rape?
This topic always has the potential to get ugly... Let's step back and not make it personal or take it personally ok guys?

@TRC GeorgiaDawg - clearly you have very strong feelings about this subject. So do many people on both sides of the fence. Don't let the strength of your feeling take over your input; it is coming across as too vehement without sufficient cause at this point.

Normally I'd be interested in this kind of stuff, but because GT is still young in age with much content to be added later on, now I have to worry about Polyphony Digital spending even more time trying to patch up the system just to make it so people can't tamper with a car's statistics and make the "fast gauge" go beyond my electricity meter.

GT5 was kinda granted and given, since the modifications were done so late in the game's life. Of course, the game was patched later on to stop these hybrids from being used online, but people still found ways to get there somewhat. GT5 was done with new content around the time period of 2.11, which was when the hacks were in full swing.

Now we're seeing this crap springing a leak in a game that's just a few months old. Normally I could just dust this off of my shoulder, but the imminence of PD having to fix these issues and possibly delaying more new content irritates me so. Seasonal TTs would be broken, online racing would be swarmed with hybrids, and other bad things just breaking loose about- it's just too early for this.

It's not even May yet, and that is when the Senna content is expected to be implemented; he is a big role model to me, and I cherished his hobbies and racing career. I cannot wait to see how PD reflects on him with the expected content, but now I can possibly look forward to having it delayed once more...

Jesus this is exactly like GT5, people kicking and screaming about people finding a way around PD's failure to provide us with car customization, engine and drivetrain swaps that GT's main competitor has had and we've been asking for years.

Bring it on, I can't wait to start creating realistic hybrids again. PD hasn't kept their promises for delivering a completed game, or bringing the features they said were "coming" so I'll create my own new content.

I agree that realistic limits are a good line to draw. 6000 HP is in the realm of possibility for a car though.
I know,sadly there isn't any way to prevent that kind of thing how ever. to bad PD didn't code in a MAX HP limit. ie preprogrammed HP limit is 1500,anything set over that number. the game handles it as 1500hp

I know,sadly there isn't any way to prevent that kind of thing how ever. to bad PD didn't code in a MAX HP limit. ie preprogrammed HP limit is 1500,anything set over that number. the game handles it as 1500hp
Because it wouldn't be worth the time. It could still be bypassed. Code isn't as easy as this. They already limit the cars with max settings and encryption and it didn't take long to get by that. Pretty much everything can be hacked.

The way they secure online game saves these days are by removing the client side save and putting it on the server.

The was this is done on console (devises that can work both online and off) is by saving locally but as soon as the device goes online it does a dif of very specific attributes, if a delta is detected the most graceful way to address it is to revert those attributes to normal, or just corrupt the save.

This links to what I said in another thread that I think the future of gaming will be cloud based and of the SAAS model. One of the advantages for the game developer is that they control everything, meaning they can restrict hacking if they choose, unless people are going to actually hack their servers, but then more serious legal implications can arise.

Last edited:
Can't wait fir PD to waste their time on creating a patch to fix something that a few idiot users started :)

This is how we hinder progress. The problem isn't the game, it's the users and their unrealistic expectations. Then people try to take it into their own hands...

I wonder, how does giving more customization options stop people from hacking? I don't understand that argument.

I wonder, how does giving more customization options stop people from hacking? I don't understand that argument.

The same way Steam Sales combats piracy - by not giving people the initiative to do so in the first place.

It's not going to discourage the act on the whole, no one has ever claimed otherwise. This is no different. A large factor in hybriding, or should I say, the gross of its appeal lies in the fact there's no other way to do it. Give people the option to swap transmissions, drivetrains, or engines and you've effectively combated the desire to do so by illegitimate means.

I understand this, but it's like pushing back the inevitable though. Any game has their fair share of hacking, but I suppose in the case of GT there was that tool created that really stimulated it all.

To hack or not to hack....I really don't care either way, just keep it out of the TT events and you won't hear a word from me. The minute it starts ruining my enjoyment of fair competition in said events, then that's when you'll hear me start :censored:ing.

@Terronium-12

I disagree. The solution is simple: give people what they want, and that's more customization options.

"Nerds with too much computer knowledge for their own good..."

And to think, I once believed you were capable of presenting sound arguments in a discussion.

There are so many angles to this debate. Went to see the LEGO movie with my son and there is already another page on this! But to address your post...

"Give the people what they want."

Im sure you have seen or read through the epic whining and crying thread. There are thousands of complaints about not having this and not having that. So, do you think PD is really going to fulfill all of that?

And what is the priority of these "wants" maybe something you really want Joe doesnt. And maybe Joe wants something that you may think is needless.

Hacks will always happen even if all these customizations were available. They would still find something to get into.

Imagine if developers had to cater to everyone's wants we wouldn't have any games! It would take too much time and most importantly too much money to do this.

Then we'd be complaining that the game doesnt come out in a timely fashion. Its a no win situation it seems. Neither side of this is gonna win this argument.

Why dont we just appreciate what we have and hope for the best? Nothing says we have to play this game. I guess I come from the old school of gaming...

Reactions: kjb
I wish hackers did the things pd said they would and introduce them first and better, not this whole nonsense of 5000hp cars... Buy a military aircraft game, you can go mach 2+.... How's that for speed?

You shouldn't have much to worry about. So far only people who are jailbroken and know how to find the second key can do this, so unless you run into this one guy you probably won't see anything.

What about all the others like you who are actively looking for a way to hack the game?

It is one thing to say we should not have much to worry about but when you are the one saying it it is a little hypocritical. It is the people like you activley looking for a way to break encryption [and please don't use that lame excuse that you like to find out how games work] who are the ones who end up ruining the game in the end.

who are the ones who end up ruining the game in the end.

No, the game got ruined when parents bought their immature 12 year olds a PS3 and GT6(as well as every other online-enabled game). Hacking can't even ruin time trials as PD did it themselves by making SRF an option.

So yeah, saying hacking is ruining the game is like saying an STD ruins a hooker.

They shouldn't code a limit. The realism limit I was referring to was for PD generated content as GT is a sim. Mods should be unlimited though. The only mod enforcement given should be PD coded host controls to detect and control mod use. One of those could be an adjustable horsepower limit.

This is how we hinder progress... people try to take it into their own hands...
It looks like the opposite. They're adding to the game. Adding things PD can't/won't. They're doing a better job than PD in some respects.

"Give the people what they want."

Im sure you have seen or read through the epic whining and crying thread. There are thousands of complaints about not having this and not having that. So, do you think PD is really going to fulfill all of that?

I don't think yes is unreasonable. In anycase, filtering through the many, many desires, some of which are conflicting or nonsensical is not hard. Impossible requests denied. Conflicting requests settled by majority, feasibility, or by realizing that they don't conflict at all and both sides can be added.

And what is the priority of these "wants" maybe something you really want Joe doesnt. And maybe Joe wants something that you may think is needless.
Non issue.

Hacks will always happen even if all these customizations were available. They would still find something to get into.
Yes. But then there is less drive to go through the trouble of making a 3000 HP car by playing with save files and risking action from PD.

Imagine if developers had to cater to everyone's wants we wouldn't have any games! It would take too much time and most importantly too much money to do this.
Only if the developer has no management skills.

Then we'd be complaining that the game doesnt come out in a timely fashion. Its a no win situation it seems. Neither side of this is gonna win this argument.
PD had a chance for a win-win with GT5. Instead of integrating mods into the game, they tried to crush them. That's why we are where we are now.

Why dont we just appreciate what we have and hope for the best? Nothing says we have to play this game. I guess I come from the old school of gaming...
I personally hate settling for mediocrity. I favor the game modders over PD here, they're making the game better. PD doesn't seem to be as interested in doing that, or at the very least, they're not efficient with changes.

Last edited:
What about all the others like you who are actively looking for a way to hack the game?

It is one thing to say we should not have much to worry about but when you are the one saying it it is a little hypocritical. It is the people like you activley looking for a way to break encryption [and please don't use that lame excuse that you like to find out how games work] who are the ones who end up ruining the game in the end.
I was telling you and others to stop complaining about it because it isn't as easy to crack. And yes, I do want to be able to hack my cars. I want my slammed and stance cars back. I want my engine swaps back and aspiration conversions. That's why I want to get the encryption cracked. I WANT to be able to make the kinds of cars and modifications I WANT, not what PD gives me the options to do. PD leaves these gaps and I'm going to jump for the chance to make them. And don't tell me that I shouldnt play GT then. I've always been and always will be a GT person. No other game even gives the chance to do this stuff, hacking or not. I have Forza and I love the swaps you can do, it just lacks the stancing. Look, I'm sorry your "online experience" was ruined by the little kids with crap loads of hp, but if I want my cars stanced and engine swapped, I'm not going to think twice about the people like you because I know that my cars arent going to affect you.

It is not inherently a bad thing, but as our prophet has decreed we have no use of such a thing it has been decreed a sin and those who partake must be punished.

On a slightly more serious note, I think if some people in this thread ventured into PC gaming they would have a heart attack.:lol:

I'm guessing this is mentioning me so I'll just point out that FOV adjustment hadn't even been mentioned when I said...
I have no problem with people using hacks offline. My problem comes from the fact for the one guy who keeps it offline, 9 more will take it online and do what I described. How you choose to play your game is none of my business.

People forget that online isn't part of their game. They agreed to terms and conditions to get the privilege to use Sony's network & Polyphony's servers. Terms such as "thou shalt not modify save game data" and "thou shalt not exploit" with the condition that "those who breaketh these laws shall be banished to a lonely world, to spend eternity in the depths of single player." I just hope that those who do try using hacked cars online get banished. If you break the law, knowing the risk, you deserve the punishment.

More room in the garden of Nurburgring for the rest of us
Please don't take what I say out of context. Honestly, I'd love to have FOV adjustment. I'd also love to have triple screen support back. It'd also be awesome to recreate my engine swapped R32 Skyline in the game.

I've played PC games, I know the upsides of hacking. There is valid uses for nearly everything hackers do. I've already said I have no problem with offline hackers. I really don't have any issues with engine swapped drift cars or online cruisers in their hybrid cars. But in GT, where most people spend 90% of their gaming time online, and most of that time racing, the negatives of hacking outweighs the positives. It only takes one person sneaking an overpowered car into an online race to completely ruin the experience for 15 others. If a game isn't fair, it isn't fun. Unfortunately you can't separate the good from the bad and it has to be looked at as one entity.

How PD deal with it is there business, but at the end of the day hackers who go online are breaking the TOS in plain sight. They'll get no sympathy when they are, uh... "Banished."

Also, whats wrong with using ye olde english every now and again? I just did that because I thought it'd put some smiles on faces to see modern day rules in that kind of text. It's not like I claimed to be Kaz's son from a virgin mother or anything. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back