Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
Since golding them all early on I've been back to some of them.
Monza I have diamond, Maggiore I'm 0.020 off diamond :mad:, and Brands, DT & Willow I'm just a few tenths off (haven't been back to Nurb, Nords or Suzi yet). I'm pretty confident I will diamond BH, DT & Willow with time.

I'm A+ with a wheel, but haven't played with a controller for over 10 years and I'm probably low B at best with one (I used a controller for GT1-5P, but switched to a wheel for GT5).

What I've learnt as I've re-learnt using a controller on these events is you have to match the sensitivity setting to your skill level - ie; how skilled you are at moving the stick (Steering) smoothly and how skilled you are at making small accurate inputs... I'm rubbish at both... plus I'm using the buttons for gas and brake.

The temptation is to have the sensitivity as high as possible to make the car feel more responsive (and counter balance the understeer), but this is counter productive - if you have the setting too high, and you can't make small, accurate inputs, you just cause the car to lurch, and this actually increases the understeer.

I'm using 1 or 2. Any lower, and I can't make the apexes consistently, any higher, and I end up with the car lurching in to the turns, unsettling the car, and causing me to have to try and readjust how much lock I have applied mid corner... which bleeds speed and time.

I'm also using counter assist when I 1st start a session - I find it helps get in to a consistent rhythm more easily. Once I start hitting reasonably consistent lines I switch it off as the car turns better without it.

These are certainly difficult if you're not a superstar controller user, but they aren't impossible... personally, I enjoy (mostly!) the challenge :)

Last edited:
Since golding them all early on I've been back to some of them.
Monza I have diamond, Maggiore I'm 0.020 off diamond :mad:, and Brands, DT & Willow I'm just a few tenths off (haven't been back to Nurb, Nords or Suzi yet). I'm pretty confident I will diamond BH, DT & Willow with time.

I'm A+ with a wheel, but haven't played with a controller for over 10 years and I'm probably low B at best with one (I used a controller for GT1-5P, but switched to a wheel for GT5).

What I've learnt as I've re-learnt using a controller on these events is you have to match the sensitivity setting to your skill level - ie; how skilled you are at moving the stick (Steering) smoothly and how skilled you are at making small accurate inputs... I'm rubbish at both... plus I'm using the buttons for gas and brake.

The temptation is to have the sensitivity as high as possible to make the car feel more responsive (and counter balance the understeer), but this is counter productive - if you have the setting too high, and you can't make small, accurate inputs, you just cause the car to lurch, and this actually increases the understeer.

I'm using 1 or 2. Any lower, and I can't make the apexes consistently, any higher, and I end up with the car lurching in to the turns, unsettling the car, and causing me to have to try and readjust how much lock I have applied mid corner... which bleeds speed and time.

I'm also using counter assist when I 1st start a session - I find it helps get in to a consistent rhythm more easily. Once I start hitting reasonably consistent lines I switch it off as the car turns better without it.

These are certainly difficult if you're not a superstar controller user, but they aren't impossible... personally, I enjoy (mostly!) the challenge :)

I've just gone the other way. After playing GT6 with a wheel I went back to a controller for Sport, but have just invested in a new wheel. It'll take me a few days to get the hang of it again, but already the difference in 'controlability' is pretty massive. Using a wheel before never really made me any faster, but there's no doubt in my mind that using the wheel means I can place the car where I actually want it on the tarmac, instead of merely ending up there as a byproduct of momentum and luck - which is how it feels with a controller.

I did a few laps at Monza last night whilst getting used to the wheel again, got within a tenth or so of my best controller time so far (still only Silver though), so I do expect to be able to improve further with the wheel than I was likely to manage with the controller. I actually got infront of Lewis a couple of times, but my braking is all over the place at the moment.

Well, I bought a wheel with a GT logo on it and took 5 seconds of my time at the ring with the Sauber.

Just sayin :lol:

I love the comfort of my sofa. I got gold on all the events in a few tries and I hold my own in Sport races. I have never seen an absolute need for a wheel.

Maybe for the VERY fast car like the Super Formula cars or the X car, but I don't use them anyway, so NBD

I love the comfort of my sofa.

Me too, that's why I built my wheel stand to allow me to sit on my sofa whilst using my wheel... so NBD.

Also, joke around PD licensed accessories potentially being favourable was too subtle it seems.

Also also, I don't see the absolute need for a wheel, but it makes the game more enjoyable by a factor of about 10. I was sad when I had to sell my last one, and I'm glad I've bought another, I would have done it sooner had funds permitted.

After the 1.53 patch update, I found the car more responsive through slow corners. I was able to Gold 2 races within this DLC. Wonder if anyone else found a (good)difference as well within this DLC?

Got diamond at Maggiore, despite only being level i
After the 1.53 patch update, I found the car more responsive through slow corners. I was able to Gold 2 races within this DLC. Wonder if anyone else found a (good)difference as well within this DLC?

I ran a couple of hundred miles at Maggiore the day before the patch and the day of the patch. I didn’t notice any difference.

Got diamond at Maggiore, despite only being level i

I ran a couple of hundred miles at Maggiore the day before the patch and the day of the patch. I didn’t notice any difference.

Maybe I became better with throttle input!!!!!!!

These challenges just highlight the problems with the game.

The cars turn in is heavily based on controller throttle / braking input, not on any kind of suspension model - big flaw.

Traction issues - tyre model still hopeless for longitudinal grip, including acceleration and braking.

Penalty system still hopeless - follow Lewis' line through the second Monza chicane and you score yourself a penalty. I guess this game being sanctioned by the FIA kind of matches reality where Lewis is allowed to exceed track limits without punishment..

Throttle linearity - when will this get fixed!

I just had my first go at this DLC...

Sticks/AutoGears/ChaseCam/TC0 :lol:

I went straight to Dragon Trail Seaside and after a dozen or so laps getting used to the car I've done my first diamond lap at 46.9 miles on the clock by just .002 for now, but I will certainly improve on that time as it wasn't the tidiest lap tbh. :D

DTS - Diamond-lap.jpg

Edit: I have since improved my time to 1:36.741 :D

Last edited:
I DID IT! After hours and hours of sweaty palms, sore wrists, suffering and swearing, I've beaten all the Diamond times. I managed to scrape together a decent lap at Suzuka and beat Hamilton by 0.005 seconds at the last corner. Unbelievable. After getting the 100 million dollar prize, I got a Shelby Cobra Daytona, Ferrari 330 P4, Jaguar XJ13 and the Lamborghini Muira. I don't think this will ever happen again!

I DID IT! After hours and hours of sweaty palms, sore wrists, suffering and swearing, I've beaten all the Diamond times. I managed to scrape together a decent lap at Suzuka and beat Hamilton by 0.005 seconds at the last corner. Unbelievable. After getting the 100 million dollar prize, I got a Shelby Cobra Daytona, Ferrari 330 P4, Jaguar XJ13 and the Lamborghini Muira. I don't think this will ever happen again!

And you still have money to burn!!
Great job!!!

I know it’s a bit of a cheat. But I’ve found Countersteering Assist a big help on certain tracks like Monza and Bathurst. Tracks where it’s crucial to get on the power as early as possible for the long straights.

By contrast I found I was quicker without it at Nurburgring GP. Here you need lots of rotation and the car sliding at certaint points. Something the Countersteering Assist impeded.

I know it’s a bit of a cheat. But I’ve found Countersteering Assist a big help on certain tracks like Monza and Bathurst. Tracks where it’s crucial to get on the power as early as possible for the long straights.

By contrast I found I was quicker without it at Nurburgring GP. Here you need lots of rotation and the car sliding at certaint points. Something the Countersteering Assist impeded.
Wouldn't classify it as cheating. As the poster says this is somewhat blurred by the wheel vs controller debate anyway. You can feather the throttle or apply minute opposite lock with the wheel and pedals in a way that simply can't be done with a pad.

Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller ... almost :D !

IMG_0706.JPG

And we still have 2019 :) ...

After using every millimeter of the Nordschleife for putting one wheel in the grass and binning the lap, there's a lot left to do for 2020. A Happy New Year everyone.

:gtpflag:

From my own experience with GT over the years, now I have invested in a wheel and pedals my lap times have tumbled down. I competed in the GT Academy back in 2012. I looked at the best times and most people were using wheels. I was almost 4 seconds off the best time. I was 2000 odd in Britain and Ireland and 28000 odd in the world. There were over 1 million people competing which put me in the top 3%.

Some of my gaming friends were ahead of me using controllers. I’ve always had to use the x button to accelerate with, over the years as my thumbs constantly slip off the joysticks. Someone suggested using the trigger button R2 as an accelerator.

I tried, and yes, a lot more control over accelerator inputs when exiting corners which keeps the car neat, not sliding as much and faster. However a few laps in and my fingers sweat up and slip off again.

I saw a video of this challenge and went out a few days ago and bought myself a second hand PS4 as cheap as possible. I also bought the cheapest second hand Steering wheel and pedals listed for this game. The Thrustmaster T80.

I must say that I prefer the Logitech Driving Force GT that I was using since Xmas on my PS3. I’m still able to maintain very good control with the T80 but can’t help feel that force feedback would help me feel my way around corners easier.

Ive had a go at these lap challenges and I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve binned it into the gravel trying to find the latest possible braking points. I’ve managed silvers on Dragon Trail, Brands Hatch and Monza.

I just kept playing around with the settings. My steering wheel default sensitivity setting was set very low, so it was taking an age to turn into each corner or correct oversteer. That sorted out my reaction speed is being fed in accurately with the setting turned right up to 7.

I tried using manual gears but it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference. I’m not far behind him over the first few corners. He was getting away over the three flat out bends mid circuit at Dragon Trail.

I adjusted other things in the driving options. I have these settings:

Traction control 4
ASM off
Countersteering assistance off
ABS weak.

I tried turning traction control off and the car just drifts everywhere. Ill look at lowering traction control gradually to see if I can find the best setting without the car becoming uncontrollable.

I cannot afford a simulator seat and frame for pedals right now so I made my own out of wood and a fishing chair. One thing I have noticed is that it’s important to have your steering wheel set at the right distance for your arms.

If you stretch your arms out almost fully but not to the point of being uncomfortable, now try to turn the wheel. It feels easy. If you bring the wheel up to you too closely you will feel it in your triceps that it is harder to turn the wheel and takes longer. These crucial movements would definitely affect times.

I have attended test days in a racing kart years ago when I could afford it. It’s a lot easier to shave seconds off your time in real life. You feel every twitch of the back end and delicately adjust your controls to suit. Simulators lack that feel even with force feedback.

I could see my lap times on my steering wheel lap timer. Getting smoother with the controls, not locking the rear brakes up or excessively drifting the back end out of corners is what it’s all about. But there are so many factors per individual circuit also.

Soooo Yesterday I started trying this challenge with a controller. I sat down and thought, you know, I am decent driver so lets see what happens. First 15 - 20 minutes of trying my best, I couldn't achieve bronze. Since the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, I decided to change my approach. Got my self a zesty beverage and watched the ghost replay. And by watch I don't mean watch the lap a few times and go back to try, I spend a good 15 minutes rewinding and seeing what LH is doing. Brake points, turn in, inputs through corner, exiting corner, you get the idea. I go back again and i get bronze and by this time I start to see what coroners I botched and what I can do better. So after about 1.5 or 2 hours of non-stop playing, I am sitting around 12.5 on willow spring with a controller. Mind you, I started playing GT sport 2 weeks ago. Before that I would play mostly rally games. My plat time is about 6 to 8 hours a week which usually happen late at night before I go to bed or during the weekends when I am not doing something else. Why did I tell you all this? Well, If a guy like me who does not play much racing games is able to come close to gold with a controller, then so can anyone. I am not saying these challenges are easy, they are not, you need to work hard at it. I enjoy a good challenge and when I do not hit my mark, I try harder and learn from my mistakes. Doing that on everything in life is what gets you places. I am sure with a wheel you can get better times and smoother laps but I don't have a wheel so I do what I can with the controller. And yes, my anecdote above is on Willow Springs which until before this challenged I hated that track. Now it is becoming my favorite track. Not because I know it now, but because is teaching me much more about racing. Another thing that applies to every sport, every musical instrument, everything. If you are tense, your performance will suffer. Make sure you are relaxed when playing and not clenching or stiff. My laps were noticeably different when I started to tense up.

View attachment 883301

"missed it by that much!"

Dude, this sucks. If that happened to me, I think my first reaction would be to throw something. Thanks for sharing. Luckily, I still have a lot more to shave off my time at willow than .001. so I do not need to worry about this for now. ;) Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo Yesterday I started trying this challenge with a controller. I sat down and thought, you know, I am decent driver so lets see what happens. First 15 - 20 minutes of trying my best, I couldn't achieve bronze. Since the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, I decided to change my approach. Got my self a zesty beverage and watched the ghost replay. And by watch I don't mean watch the lap a few times and go back to try, I spend a good 15 minutes rewinding and seeing what LH is doing. Brake points, turn in, inputs through corner, exiting corner, you get the idea. I go back again and i get bronze and by this time I start to see what coroners I botched and what I can do better. So after about 1.5 or 2 hours of non-stop playing, I am sitting around 12.5 on willow spring with a controller. Mind you, I started playing GT sport 2 weeks ago. Before that I would play mostly rally games. My plat time is about 6 to 8 hours a week which usually happen late at night before I go to bed or during the weekends when I am not doing something else. Why did I tell you all this? Well, If a guy like me who does not play much racing games is able to come close to gold with a controller, then so can anyone. I am not saying these challenges are easy, they are not, you need to work hard at it. I enjoy a good challenge and when I do not hit my mark, I try harder and learn from my mistakes. Doing that on everything in life is what gets you places. I am sure with a wheel you can get better times and smoother laps but I don't have a wheel so I do what I can with the controller. And yes, my anecdote above is on Willow Springs which until before this challenged I hated that track. Now it is becoming my favorite track. Not because I know it now, but because is teaching me much more about racing. Another thing that applies to every sport, every musical instrument, everything. If you are tense, your performance will suffer. Make sure you are relaxed when playing and not clenching or stiff. My laps were noticeably different when I started to tense up.
Willow Springs is probably the hardest track out of the 10, mainly because of the different physics and the unforgiving sand. 12.5 is a good time I'd say.

Willow Springs is probably the hardest track out of the 10, mainly because of the different physics and the unforgiving sand. 12.5 is a good time I'd say.

Agree with Willow being ridiculously difficult.

I'm a controller user, and clearly these diamond times were not made for even the "good" level controller users but to the "exceptional" ones.

The C9 on Nurburgring was surprisingly not that difficult. Got gold on first try and only took a few more until I did Diamond. The others? All of them I struggled to get Gold. Panorama for me just sucks... I hate that track, I'm still at Silver in that one. Maybe it's because I love to drive the Sauber C9 and don't particularly like to drive the AMG GT3, also this AMG GT3 seems different than the stock one you play in the game, it seems like it has a bit more understeer, maybe it's just me?

I was sad becouse you say that Dragon Trial was easy, I think it was imposible... Until now! I get it! Now im gone push and push to do this!

Latest Posts

Back