McLaren Reveals 765LT, With More Power and Less Weight

Meh not too impressed. For one im sure the horsepower will be more than 755, think more like 805. I didnt think this was needed especially with the Senna being out and to me thats a track focused 720. It just looks like a slight aftermarket 720s with a tune.

Mclaren? The important thing today is the 911 turbo S!!!

original-25942-1427414325-9.jpg

I'm not complaining about two superb supercars which punch well above their weight (price-wise) being unveiled on the same day. The 720S is already monstrously fast, can't wait to see how this performs in drag races. I'm hoping Carwow is among the first on the list to get their hands on a 765LT! ;)

The base 720S made more like 810/820hp, so I’d expect this one to have at least 840?
Funny you mentioned that, that youtuber with the channel Dragtimes his name is Brooke's and he posted a video last night of a stock 720 putting out 700whp, so yeah thats pretty close to 800 or so.

Meh not too impressed. For one im sure the horsepower will be more than 755, think more like 805.
754Hp.
I didnt think this was needed especially with the Senna being out and to me thats a track focused 720. It just looks like a slight aftermarket 720s with a tune.
Except the Senna was limited, sold out early, & double the value. This fills in a large gap between the 720S & the Senna, and has plenty of interest from the exotic car community to justify.

Let's play bingo on what model variant McLaren will release next shall we?

Type - GT / Mixed / Track / Roadster

Track Series - N/A / P1 GTR / Senna GTR / N/A
Ultimate Series - Speedtail / P1 / Senna / Elva
Super Series - GT / 720S / 765LT / 720S Spider
Sport Series - 570GT / 570S / 600LT or 620R / 570S Spider

They already said they won't do a track version of the Speedtail, so my guess is a more hardcore version of the Elva. That is, unless they are planning an abomination that is called an SUV :ill:

I’m guessing the GT will have another variant added. They’re becoming more available on the used market which is just about when McLaren decides to build new versions.

Or a safe bet, 765LT Spider.

Mclaren's propensity to shotgun-blast new models I think will ultimately hurt the brand. When I see a Ferrari 458 or even a F430 I tend to think "prized original-owner modern classic". When I see a 650s or 12c I tend to think "used car". But maybe that's just me.

I fail to see how McLaren releasing a new model every year or so is different from what Ferrari has been doing, not to mention the 97 different 911 trims.

I fail to see how McLaren releasing a new model every year or so is different from what Ferrari has been doing, not to mention the 97 different 911 trims.
Goes down to the used market. Cars are losing value off the lot, dealers will negotiate discounts instead of holding firm on 3 month old units, no incentive for owners to trade in back to the dealers like Ferrari; awful buyback programs. They just build and build and build and dealers retain too much inventory at times.

The P1 is not in production anymore. The successor will come by 2025, including many other models as announced two years ago

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/go...official-mclaren-confirms-p1-successor-coming

Yeah I'm aware of that. Technically all cars I listed will have a replacement coming at some point in the future. I was more trying to predict what variant special model they will release next based on cars we already know.

Wasn't there also a model planned based on the Ultimate Vision GT called the BC03? Wonder what happened to that one.

https://jalopnik.com/okay-nobody-look-at-these-mclaren-bc-03-pictures-becaus-1838660130

The main difference is the amount of supply and the size of the customer bases.

if you want a 992, there are very few in stock and you’re looking at a decent lead time to get one. Turbo/S/GT models even harder to get hold of. Similar for a 488.

As a result, the used cars hold their value reasonably well.

If you want a McLaren, virtually any model is available on short lead times, and dealers have loads (relatively speaking) of stock of nearly new models at heavily discounted prices.

Fancy a 720? Late 2019 cars are available, sub hundred miles, highly specced... at £80-90k off a list of c.280-300. Fancy trading up from your 570? You can’t get a trade in bid off a McLaren dealer... there as so many of them in the network relative to the number of people who want to own one.

You’d have no issues getting a (decent) bid on your 991.2 from an OPC. And they would literally bite your hand off if you called them and asked them if they’d like to take your 991 Turbo S off your hands for stock.

Mclaren as a company have been far too greedy pushing volume too quickly... including launching multiple versions of the same car to try and get existing customers to trade up. Porsche have a lot of 99x models, but other than the gt/turbos, they are choices rather than trade ups.... customers don’t go from a Carrera to an S to a GTS to a Turbo/GT3 in the same model lifecycle.

Other than for the diehard fans and super rich (the ones that can afford to drop 100k depreciation in 12 months), Mclaren brand image is shot and may never recover. They are fast becoming the Citroen of the supercar market... only selling cars with a 20-25% discount.

Back