MOTOGP 18

• Thread starter jpine324
  • 276 comments
...I'm just glad that we are getting some variety when it comes to bike games, they've been ignored for quite some time, other than the odd MotoGP game coming out. I get tired of the Tourist Trophy fanboys, extremely tired, as if Polyphony can do no wrong...

...I just get tired of how awesome this "thing" was that came out 15 years ago. Then go play it. /rant. :D
I haven't played TT in years, even with the PS2 still hooked up and used now and then. Basically the only reason I still mention and praise TT is because of the bolded part of your post.

I would not have even clicked on this thread to read your post if not for the fact that Ride 3 launched recently and I was curious what people are saying about MotoGP 18 by comparison. I have little desire to ride MotoGP bikes on MotoGP circuits; I want to ride bikes with lights and mirrors and plates, small bikes, oldschool bikes, and non-sport bikes, on tracks that include roads, all with a simulation focus instead of the more common arcade-style games with bikes.

In short, TT still gets mentioned because it was the only "Gran Turismo for motorcycles" in its day, and there's still nothing else but the Ride franchise today. I don't want to go play TT -- I want Ride to fulfill its potential and finish off eclipsing TT as the premier "Gran Turismo for motorcycles". :)

I guess I don't understand your point because this is Motogp 18 section ! lol sorry I couldn't resist lol. but really I don't recall anyone saying TT was perfect. Far from it and it has flaws that I would expect to be addressed if there was ever a sequel. You have no desire for pure racing bikes on dedicated tracks no issue with that. The problem is simply Milestone. Ride could easily be the true premier motorcycle game on merit not simply because it has no competition. Milestone has been making bike games for almost 20yrs now and just keep making the same mistakes. so as a bike game fan it's frustrating. The AI in TT is just as bad as the AI in Milestone's but for me what that game did right handling wise (1st person view) set a standard that is frustrating hasn't been matched 12yrs on.

Obviously you and I want different things out of a bike game and that's fine and ride could easily fit that bill. I'm not a collector, don't care about earning Trophy's, have no interest in street courses, etc....... There is no reason Ride couldn't have a mode to accommodate a gamer like myself who has an interest in superbikes (since there is no longer a SBK game). Instead I have to trudge through layer after layer of bikes/races I have no desire in to get on freakin bike. Can't do it by quick mode since they are locked in Career. A simple championship mode where I could select the tracks I want or a different online mode I wouldn't be as disappointed with Ride 3. But my problem isn't Ride, or MotoGP, or MXGP, it's Milestone cause they keep making the same mistakes game design wise and the market seems to getting smaller and smaller
and then there will be no one making bike games.

You MotoGP guys. I am still hesitating whether I should buy 17 or 18. I have noticed in MotoGP 14 there is absolutely no delay to the input from the gamepad to the bike on the screen. You move the stick, instantly the bike moves, whereas in Ride 3 there is such delay that you have to act a split second before the action is necessary, something strange to my brain. In chase view it is possible to get used to it, in cockpit view, even if you practice hard, it will never become natural I am afraid. So I am asking whether this strange delay - from gamepad to the bike - was implemented from MotoGP 15 or 16 on? That would mean I could only race in chase view, which would be a shame. I love the direct natural steering in MotoGP 14. If only the sound wasn't so horrible and the movements so digital.

Still enjoying this game... Ride 3 bug just hasn't bitten yet. And I would really like to get a Moto2 Championship under my belt before I move on, tried twice in Moto3 and come up short both times. It was very "realistic" in terms it came down to a couple two or three riders battling for the title. First time, I missed the M3 cup by 2 points, second time I took more risk (and had the Ai set higher) and lost out by almost a full 100 points. Anyhoo, I have started Moto2 and have got pole and won every race, 10 races in, including winning at a couple tracks previously not won at.

And I know this game isn't perfect, but I really enjoy the racing that can be had in it. We've already covered things that need to be addressed in the next game - but I doubt they will be, and I'm sure I'll find something I will like about MotoGP 19, or I won't. . .

Here's a few shots of Assen and Sachsenring.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Some more Moto2 championship, and a GP class quick race.

Ran the race at the A1 Ring, and really had to work for this one... turned the Ai back up to 85% (I'm not really that good :D ), running tire wear and Pro physics. Ran qualifying and finally got pole by just over a tenth on the last lap, time had ended and had to make it count. Just didn't have the pace for the race and ended up 2nd behind Bagnaia. He deserved the win as he even had the FL by almost 3 tenths. Battled Marquez and Baldassarri the entire race. Lot of fun, and really had to work for 2nd place - there went the bid for an undefeated season though.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Ran a wet MotoGP race at Brno... just hadn't run the "big" bikes in a while. Qualified 5th and had to work my ass off to stay in the top 5. Dropped all the way to 12th after pushing hard to stay with the front group. Calmed down after a lap or so and set out to just put in good lap times. Ended up having a heck of a race again. Had a monumental battle with Johan Zarco and Jorge Lorenzo. Ton-o-fun!!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Already looking forward to MotoGP 19, played a little Ride 3 and had a bit of fun... just enjoy the races series' more.

Here's some of my Tamiya models. . . you can see that I'm a bit of a MotoGP nut, and why, even though these games are lacking a bit of polish, it's the only outlet I have to play what is probably my favorite discipline of racing.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Have probably 5 or 6 more kits to build. Have Rossi's '09 Estoril edition Yamaha, which will instantly be one of my fav's, as well as the '04 Spains No. 1 Yamaha ridden by Carlos Checa. Anyway, why I'm still thrilled that we get a MotoGP game, even if it's less than perfect. :D:tup:

What are some of the changes you are hoping come in MotoGP 19??

For me, fixing the online lobby, get rid of the FR stutter (this is a big one, prob #1 thing to focus on Milestone...), custom championships, and PLEASE bring back the managerial career that was in MotoGP 17, that feature was the best - and dare I say it rivaled the immersion I get from F1 2018.

Getting the game to run @ 60fps would be just melted butter on the icing, but just locking the game down, which already looks really good, to 30fps would be more than acceptable to me in my book. Fingers-crossed that Milestone will take MotoGP 18 and just polish it out to be a really great game is doable, to me anyway. I really hope that they don't just push out another game with updated rosters... a'la EA Sports.

What are some of the changes you are hoping come in MotoGP 19??

For me, fixing the online lobby, get rid of the FR stutter (this is a big one, prob #1 thing to focus on Milestone...), custom championships, and PLEASE bring back the managerial career that was in MotoGP 17, that feature was the best - and dare I say it rivaled the immersion I get from F1 2018.

Getting the game to run @ 60fps would be just melted butter on the icing, but just locking the game down, which already looks really good, to 30fps would be more than acceptable to me in my book. Fingers-crossed that Milestone will take MotoGP 18 and just polish it out to be a really great game is doable, to me anyway. I really hope that they don't just push out another game with updated rosters... a'la EA Sports.

When's it out ?
I chose MotoGP 17 for my first go at a MotoGP game, got it for Xmas but haven't played it yet, too busy with my Rally games and Uncharted 3 at the mo!
I'm looking forward to it though, I like MotoGP a lot too :)

Oh and nice models.

@MrCrynox I don't think you'll be disappointed with 17 over 18... I actually still play 17 for the managerial career thing, just makes it more interesting... And yes, I understand being busy with Rally games - another favorite of mine...

Here's one more bike and a couple of WRC cars... (I have a couple of Peugeot's that I don't have pics of)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And the '98 Scooby WRC Safari edition on the bench...

enhance

enhance

enhance

I think with all the models I have I could've had a real race car (at least a race kart!)

I think you'll like MotoGP 17, looks good, plays well and is deep as you want it to be. Have fun, man!!

@barryf1fan Nice! You have some skills :)
I chose MotoGP 17 as it was at least half the price of 18 and wasn't sure if I'd like it.
I've tried a couple of bike games in the past but have always thought they felt wrong, but dabbling with Ride 2 has been fun so thought I'd give it a go.
And the idea of 60fps plus management mode sounded appealing.

:lol: Thanks @MrCrynox , not really - I only take pics of the "good" side - just like when you're selling a used car! haha!! some come out better than others - and I really need to get my airbrush fixed.

And I hear'ya, bike games are difficult to get the feeling right. Like I stated several posts ago, I try and find what I like about a game instead of focusing on the shortcomings. It had gotten to the point where I was nitpicking every race game that came out (mostly all I play), but then I realized that instead of being the proverbial negative Nancy (which I was doing to myself, really) I focused on what I liked about a particular game. I found that I started having fun with games that most everyone else criticized. Found that with MotoGP 18 in fact, when I first got it, I was disappointed. The stutter, the fact they took out the mode I enjoyed most, and I just gave up playing online... but then I just decided to see if I could get some fun out it, and have found that adjusting the Ai and messing with settings I found some fun close racing.

MotoGP 17 looks really good too, it's a bit brighter than 18, but the graphics are just as good, and in some cases better, imo. You'll have fun with it.

:lol: Thanks @MrCrynox , not really - I only take pics of the "good" side - just like when you're selling a used car! haha!! some come out better than others - and I really need to get my airbrush fixed.

And I hear'ya, bike games are difficult to get the feeling right. Like I stated several posts ago, I try and find what I like about a game instead of focusing on the shortcomings. It had gotten to the point where I was nitpicking every race game that came out (mostly all I play), but then I realized that instead of being the proverbial negative Nancy (which I was doing to myself, really) I focused on what I liked about a particular game. I found that I started having fun with games that most everyone else criticized. Found that with MotoGP 18 in fact, when I first got it, I was disappointed. The stutter, the fact they took out the mode I enjoyed most, and I just gave up playing online... but then I just decided to see if I could get some fun out it, and have found that adjusting the Ai and messing with settings I found some fun close racing.

MotoGP 17 looks really good too, it's a bit brighter than 18, but the graphics are just as good, and in some cases better, imo. You'll have fun with it.

I know where your coming from. With racing games it would seem that unless it's a release from a top notch studio, (such as T10, PD, PG or CM etc), most people are quick to criticise and aren't willing to give the game a chance, which is a shame as imo they are missing out. Sure the smaller devs struggle to make everything absolutely perfect but there's always something to like about most racing games.
I became like it myself, only wanting the best but then I woke up and smelt the coffee. I suddenly realised why we play games in the first place, ie just for a bit of fun. Sure some are better than others, but in the end you can find something to like about most racing games.

Cheers mate 👍

Welp, sewed up the Moto2 championship last night @ Buriram. Have an 119 pt. lead with 4 races to go (Motegi, Philip Island, Sepang, & Valencia). Tried twice in Moto3 to win the title but couldn't pull it off, so this feels pretty good... and I know it's a game, but I ran 38 races in Moto3 just to finish 2nd, the first time, and 5th the second time. I can't imagine how gutted those guys are that do it for real!! When I finished 2nd, by two points, I felt like a kick in the nuts... All I had to do was win at Valencia (a track that I don't get along with), that was it - win and I won it. I was tied on points with Martin with Canet being like 2 or 3 points back from us... Anyhoo, it feels good to win it in 15 races, and gonna move up to MotoGP and do a season in career before I move on to Ride 3 more fully (hopefully by then MotoGP 19 will be out, hehehe).

Ran two races last night, Aragon and Buriram... Aragon turned out like I figured it would. Ran the entire QT session and ended up on pole, but only just. Baldassarri and Marquez were right there, I mean within a couple of tenths. On the start I drop back to probably 7-9th area, and now have it all to do - as I only get a good start about 20% of the time (still haven't figured it out). I set out to do some good laps, as that has worked in the past, just run my line, don't try and get snarky - be patient and pass when I can. Doing this sees me up to 3rd after 2 laps, and then it happens, Bagnaia dive bombs me into turn 7 and knocks me on the floor. Thank goodness we had broken away from the riders behind as it only dropped me into the pack with 5-8th. I pick up in 9th and spend the rest of the race working my way back to 5th. Fantastic result for me there, whether I got knocked off or not. Kind of makes me think I could've stayed on the podium or better had Bagnaia not been a douche canoe!!

The Thai track was up next, with me ever only running it in this game as it was a new circuit for 2018, and to this point I hadn't really gotten on with it. That changed this race weekend. Both the Quali and Race were wet, which both concerned me... However, I don't know if the Ai have an issue in the wet at this track or not, but I was on pole by almost a full 1.5"s. And again (broken record here), at the start I drop places. Only a few though, as I come out of turn 1 headed down the long straight I'm 4th. Couple of the Ai pass me down the straight as they have the "better" bike, now in 6th, so I brake a little earlier and drop to an early apex and run the bike out wide. Doing this sees me get a great run out of the turn and just motor past all 5 riders!! Should've done that in QT, would have been on pole by 2"s! :lol: Just kept my head down the entire race and brought home the win and the championship! Felt pretty good. :cheers:

Playing MOTOGP 15, has anyone got some settings for the Legend bikes, so not as hard.
Using pro settings, no traction control, flick throttle, big high side:embarrassed:

Sorry, I don't. iirc, played Motogp 15 for about 15 minutes, didn't much care for it.

So what was wrong with the game, for you, is 17 better.:D Its been okay, just when play Ride 3, need turn the bikes more, its quite noticeable.

So what was wrong with the game, for you, is 17 better.:D Its been okay, just when play Ride 3, need turn the bikes more, its quite noticeable.

I don't think anything is necessarily wrong with it, I just played a lot of 14 and took a break when 15 came out. Picked it up but just didn't play it that much. Did like VR: the game (aka MotoGP16) and MotoGP 17. Sorry, I know my post wasn't much help. . . :embarrassed:

I know I may be the only person left playing this game . . . but figured I would share anyway, as I still enjoy it.

Finished up the Moto2 season with a championship, and started MotoGP aboard the Angel Nieto satellite Ducati team. Wrapped up Moto2 at Buriram and have just one top class race under my belt...

enhance

enhance

Annnd then this happened during FP1 @ Argentina, decided to revisit later as this ended badly.

enhance

enhance

Been playing a lot of PCars 2 of late but have still run a quick race or two in this game (love it) and decided I needed to get back to my MotoGP career. Ran CoTA and Jerez. Was on pole on CoTA but only managed a 2nd place podium spot as Dovizioso just proved to have too much pace. Was pretty satisfied with that result as I almost came off the bike, twice.

Headed to Jerez with a slight lead over the Italian in the standings, and ended Qualifying in 12th. :eek: Uh-oh. Started the race, and for once, I think since I've owned this game I got a blazing start. Went from 12th to 7th after turn 1. Just kept it clean the whole race and picked off the pack in front one by one and ended the race crossing the line in 1st. Fun race - man, I love this game and surely hope they do MotoGP 19 one better.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Happy riding!! :cheers:

Hello guys, I am brand new to this forum but I am very experienced with Motogp18. I have multiple top 100 lap times and sets ups used by top 10 racers that I race with frequently. Anyone and everyone are welcome to add me on PSN at the username: Lil2zooted. I have a passion for helping others get faster and have already helped multiple people get significantly faster over very short periods of time. Please leave some sort of message in the friend request mentioning that you know me from this post. No matter what your skill level I will do my best to break down all of the philosophies and techniques used to reach your maximum potential.

Hello guys, I am brand new to this forum but I am very experienced with Motogp18. I have multiple top 100 lap times and sets ups used by top 10 racers that I race with frequently. Anyone and everyone are welcome to add me on PSN at the username: Lil2zooted. I have a passion for helping others get faster and have already helped multiple people get significantly faster over very short periods of time. Please leave some sort of message in the friend request mentioning that you know me from this post. No matter what your skill level I will do my best to break down all of the philosophies and techniques used to reach your maximum potential.
Thanks for sharing zooted!! I moved on from 18 until 19 comes out. Seems like 19 will be the complete overhaul we all have been waiting for!! But we will see!! Set ups are something I never mess with since I really don't understand bike setup very well so I usually don't touch it. 18 was good enough--here's to 19' being the best yet!

Nothing to see here, just waiting for MotoGP 19. That is all. . . Oh, did do a quick race last night. ;)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Quite enjoy this game, still, after almost a year of playing. By far the longest (read: the most) I have played a MotoGP game. Fingers crossed for the online part being fixed, well, that and smarter Ai. I've already got my copy pre-paid for.

Nothing to see here, just waiting for MotoGP 19. That is all. . . Oh, did do a quick race last night. ;)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Quite enjoy this game, still, after almost a year of playing. By far the longest (read: the most) I have played a MotoGP game. Fingers crossed for the online part being fixed, well, that and smarter Ai. I've already got my copy pre-paid for.

Good looking pics!! Can't wait....I have preordered too. I don't think I have played 18' since the last time we raced! But I am really looking forward to getting back up to speed again!

Man, that is awhile back!! :lol:

I'm not playing it like I was (every single day) but still run my career or QR 3-5 times a week. I joined a league in PCars 2 and do a lot of practicing for that, somehow, always go back and do a MotoGP race or TT. Have tried 4 or 5 times to get into Ride 3, just ain't happenin'... :rolleyes:

Well stay in touch, JP ( @jpine324 ), we'll have to partake in some more online shenanigans when it comes out next month! 👍

Man, that is awhile back!! :lol:

I'm not playing it like I was (every single day) but still run my career or QR 3-5 times a week. I joined a league in PCars 2 and do a lot of practicing for that, somehow, always go back and do a MotoGP race or TT. Have tried 4 or 5 times to get into Ride 3, just ain't happenin'... :rolleyes:

Well stay in touch, JP ( @jpine324 ), we'll have to partake in some more online shenanigans when it comes out next month! 👍
For sure... I am addicted to Division 2 right now!! I am ready to put it down soon as I am close to the end game right now.

I am really liking what I am seeing the trailers and such for 19'---I just really want the AI to be better...and make mistakes...they never do in 18'. And I would love if they brought back owning a team and developing riders like they had in 17' ---really enjoyed that!

And I would love if they brought back owning a team and developing riders like they had in 17' ---really enjoyed that!

Unfortunately, I think we'll have to wait for MotoGP 20 for the Managerial Career to be back... You're right on though, it was the best part of a MotoGP game in a long time.

Back