Must buy 20,000,000 dollar car to race in nostalgic 1979 professional race ?

• Thread starter bwanabud
  • 374 comments
Seriously...negative blaming language? What kind of professional victim nonsense is that?

OMG, he didn't say those things were a problem. He is simply saying that If you can't spend as much time playing a game as you'd like, because of your lack of free time, that it's not the games fault. You people are ridiculous.
Participation trophies? I've been playing this game for 2 and a half years, I've spent over 4000 hours in it, and I still have only 2 high rollers (none of them from the daily workout, in 500 ****ing days of gameplay), and I had to grind for 200 hours to get them. I think that Yamauchi really doesn't like historic cars.
And if you really want to keep the grind, at least make all the cars available in Arcade Mode. What is the purpose of "free content" if I have to spend months to have all of it?

Ah, I think I understand the real problem here now regarding grinding about cars.

You only just noticed? You only just noticed how poorly balanced the game's economy is when it comes to vehicles that you'll eventually need if you want to compete in all the GT League events? Having to buy exorbitantly priced vehicles to complete events, and having to grind for said vehicles as the only way to get them? People can't even take the easy route and use the micro-transactions that Polyphony snuck into the game, and that people defend for whatever reason, because Polyphony *wants* you to grind for these unicorn cars.

Hell, I've only *just started* playing the game again recently, and I know how bad the grind is in this game, especially when you consider said vehicles ultimately are useless outside of the context of Nostalgia 1979 events. That says a lot about how bad the loop is, no matter how many people stomp up and down and say that the grind is fine, you're just a pleb or lazy.

And if you really want to keep the grind, at least make all the cars available in Arcade Mode. What is the purpose of "free content" if I have to spend months to have all of it?

Agreed. If you're going to be adding free content, and have that be the trump card for some people, the least you can do is make the content available in Arcade Mode to be used freely. When you can't even do that, and you have to grind for vehicles that you're probably only going to be using a couple of times before shelving it into the proverbial closet, then there's a problem. A big problem, in fact.

I'd love to drive the D-Type, Cobra Daytona Coupe, et. all on Goodwood. I can't, because I have to spend it more or less grinding for countless hours, and I don't have the will, or the desire, to deal with crap AI in chase the rabbit scenarios for the mere hope of a clean race bonus, and handicapping myself to make it harder. Nor should I have to do that. If I'm going to be asked to go through a whole hell of a lot of hoops to buy something very expensive in a game, I shouldn't have to be asked to go through grinding, and instead should go through it naturally. Apparently, Polyphony knows this, but prefers people grind and inflate the amount of time spent on the game by grinding for payouts in order to get these unicorn cars.

Participation trophies? I've been playing this game for 2 and a half years, I've spent over 4000 hours in it, and I still have only 2 high rollers (none of them from the daily workout, in 500 ****ing days of gameplay), and I had to grind for 200 hours to get them. I think that Yamauchi really doesn't like historic cars.

If you spent 200 hours grinding for 40 million credits it means you've made on average 200.000 Cr per hour. Sorry to say but your grinding methods aren't exactly effective as five times that is achievable quite easily.

On the other hand, you say you've spent 4000 hours in the game. GT Sport has been out for 23 months, that's 174 hours per month, nearly six hours every day. Either you've done a couple of thousands of Sport mode races, which I somehow tend to doubt, or you've hotlapped a lot. Or there's something you aren't telling us, such as spending something like 50+ millions into other cars.

OK, the following is aimed at everybody.

This entire thread is looking increasingly like people doing anything but racing for credits in this game and then throwing a fit because they don't have the credits to buy cars. It's been proven very many times by now that half an hour here, half an hour there, builds the credits surprisingly quickly over time. An example - one of my friends desperately wanted a Shelby Daytona when it was released in August last year. He plays perhaps once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes not at all. And he got that Daytona this spring. That's 15 million credits in perhaps eight months, eight months means around 36 weeks, he probably played some 30 times in that time. In other words on average he made half a million each time which takes half an hour, perhaps an hour even without touching the commonly known high payout races. One hour per week.

TL-DR; If you only want to hotlap or design liveries or take photos or whatever, that's completely fine. But please don't complain about the cars being too expensive if you don't even try to put in the effort to get them because the tools for it are right there at your disposal.

Hell, I've only *just started* playing the game again recently, and I know how bad the grind is in this game, especially when you consider said vehicles ultimately are useless outside of the context of Nostalgia 1979 events. That says a lot about how bad the loop is, no matter how many people stomp up and down and say that the grind is fine, you're just a pleb or lazy.

Actually it says a lot about how much of a first world problem the entire thing really is. People are little short of picking up torches and pitchforks because they want cars, that they don't want to spend time getting the credits for, that ultimately are useless outside of the context of Nostalgia 1979 events. There is no single real reason to have them in the game other than being able to say "I put in enough time and effort to buy this" and that's exactly what those people don't want to do.

I currently have about 17.5 million credits. I really want to buy the Miura, a grail of mine since GT5, but I also want to gold the Nostalgia '79 event, so I might just hold off until I have enough to buy the Ferrari. The 20 million credit cap limit sucks, though.

Actually it says a lot about how much of a first world problem the entire thing really is. People are little short of picking up torches and pitchforks because they want cars, that they don't want to spend time getting the credits for, that ultimately are useless outside of the context of Nostalgia 1979 events. There is no single real reason to have them in the game other than being able to say "I put in enough time and effort to buy this" and that's exactly what those people don't want to do.

There is absolutely no problem in Polyphony allowing all vehicles to be used freely, in Arcade Mode, at minimum. Forza 7 allows it within Freeplay Mode, for every single vehicle. The fact that these vehicles are locked away for use even in Arcade Mode, and one has to grind in order to get it, grinding in a game that isn't even ostensibly about single player racing, is asinine, and the fact that you're trying to defend it and discredit people's (incredibly valid) points against it is really quite silly.

An example - one of my friends desperately wanted a Shelby Daytona when it was released in August last year. He plays perhaps once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes not at all. And he got that Daytona this spring. That's 15 million credits in perhaps eight months, eight months means around 36 weeks, he probably played some 30 times in that time. In other words on average he made half a million each time which takes half an hour, perhaps an hour even without touching the commonly known high payout races. One hour per week.

I don't know about you, but that isn't fun, at all. And honestly, basically screams of a pull up the bootstraps argument, which for a racing game that isn't even focused on single player is silly.

There is absolutely no harm in Polyphony allowing every car to be used freely within Arcade Mode at minimum, considering their competition either allows for all vehicles to be used off the jump (Irrelevant to the point at hand, but notable) or allows for all cars to be used within a specific mode (Forza 7) If they aren't going to do that, then they should either up the prize purses for events so that grinding isn't as tedious, remove the 20 million credit cap, or stop trying to force people to grind in order to get vehicles they'll eventually need if they want to be able to race in all of the GT League events.

To basically defend the grinding with a 'pull yourself up by the bootstrap!' arguments frankly is kind of insulting to the very clear and agreeable points brought up in this thread, and every time the grinding for these unicorn cars are brought up.

Did someone say D Type...? :D

View attachment 850565

Can i win with one of these...?

20190913_163502.jpg

If you spent 200 hours grinding for 40 million credits it means you've made on average 200.000 Cr per hour. Sorry to say but your grinding methods aren't exactly effective as five times that is achievable quite easily.

On the other hand, you say you've spent 4000 hours in the game. GT Sport has been out for 23 months, that's 174 hours per month, nearly six hours every day. Either you've done a couple of thousands of Sport mode races, which I somehow tend to doubt, or you've hotlapped a lot. Or there's something you aren't telling us, such as spending something like 50+ millions into other cars.

OK, the following is aimed at everybody.

This entire thread is looking increasingly like people doing anything but racing for credits in this game and then throwing a fit because they don't have the credits to buy cars. It's been proven very many times by now that half an hour here, half an hour there, builds the credits surprisingly quickly over time. An example - one of my friends desperately wanted a Shelby Daytona when it was released in August last year. He plays perhaps once a week, sometimes twice, sometimes not at all. And he got that Daytona this spring. That's 15 million credits in perhaps eight months, eight months means around 36 weeks, he probably played some 30 times in that time. In other words on average he made half a million each time which takes half an hour, perhaps an hour even without touching the commonly known high payout races. One hour per week.

TL-DR; If you only want to hotlap or design liveries or take photos or whatever, that's completely fine. But please don't complain about the cars being too expensive if you don't even try to put in the effort to get them because the tools for it are right there at your disposal.

There’s absolutely NO SUCH THING as “racing for credits” in GTS. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING about campaign mode resembles racing in any shape or form. What it is, is incredibly poorly designed chase the rabbit against the dumbest AI that has ever existed in a video game. Regardless of people’s real world schedules, if a player is not willing to sink the dozens/hundreds of hours into the completely mind numbing, repetitive grind that is “career mode” in GTS, that is 100% the fault of the incredibly poor game design, not the player’s fault because they have kids and/or a job.

Anyone who would defend the career mode or the credit grind in GTS is in a tiny tiny minority of people who have the free time to sink those hours into the grind (as opposed to the core function of the game, ie sport mode and online play), and only defends the game from a purely selfish perspective, instead of trying to take a position of “what’s best for the franchise as a whole, what will encourage more people to buy/play the game for longer periods of time”.

“Racing for credits” LOL. Best joke I’ve heard all week.

Edit:
Seriously...negative blaming language? What kind of professional victim nonsense is that?

OMG, he didn't say those things were a problem. He is simply saying that If you can't spend as much time playing a game as you'd like, because of your lack of free time, that it's not the games fault. You people are ridiculous.

Participation trophies all around!!!
Lol the unicorn cars in GTS literally are participation trophies. They take zero effort, just rediculous number of hours. Anything that can be earned in a video game by leaving your system on with rubber bands hooked up to the controller is a participation trophy. There is zero skill involved in earning the unicorn cards

“You’ve participated in Blue Moon Bay 200 times, here’s your trophy car”. It’s a yoke.

Last edited:
That moment when you get so butt-hurt by a game you say...
Ya, clearly anyone who has a different opinion or perspective on a subject than you, does so purely because they’re “butt hurt”.

This website needs a clown emote, for real.

That moment when you get so butt hurt by a post on a forum that you call the poster butt hurt :lol:

You only just noticed? You only just noticed how poorly balanced the game's economy is when it comes to vehicles that you'll eventually need if you want to compete in all the GT League events? Having to buy exorbitantly priced vehicles to complete events, and having to grind for said vehicles as the only way to get them? People can't even take the easy route and use the micro-transactions that Polyphony snuck into the game, and that people defend for whatever reason, because Polyphony *wants* you to grind for these unicorn cars.
So what's with being tactless of throwing questions like that? I was only saying that because I was actually thinking if in-game credits can be bought in the PS Store like it used to be with the previous titles in case someone doesn't want to grind for how long. But because it's not possible anymore, I can understand more clearly now why people complain about it.

Ya, clearly anyone who has a different opinion or perspective on a subject than you, does so purely because they’re “butt hurt”.

Opinion and perspective don't come into it when you strongly and unequivocally state that no one has/can/will earn credits by racing in GTS. That is objectively incorrect, and I'm sure you'd actually see that if you hadn't gotten so ranty about it.

Opinion and perspective don't come into it when you strongly and unequivocally state that no one has/can/will earn credits by racing in GTS. That is objectively incorrect, and I'm sure you'd actually see that if you hadn't gotten so ranty about it.
I strongly and unequivocally stand behind my opinion that the grinding and joke of a campaign in GTS is a steaming pile of dog 🤬 I’m not upset by that, I just think it could be multiple times better.

I never said no one has/can/will earn credits by racing in GTS, end of story. In the context of this thread, where multiple people have explained that they have sunk serious amount of hours into Sport Mode or Online racing, and still do not have enough credits to purchase the unicorn cars, it’s objectively true for me to say that you can’t really earn enough credits to purchase the unicorn cars by RACING in GTS.

If you want to call the activities which take place in the joke of a campaign mode as “racing”, I suppose that’s your choice and opinion, but I strongly disagree with that. Chase-the-rabbit against rubber banding AI that can’t keep the car on the circuit or avoid a really basic collision does not constitute racing in my eyes, and I doubt I’m the only one who thinks that.

You can’t earn the unicorn cars by racing other people in GTS. Completing events against AI in campaign mode does not constitute racing. Therefore, you can’t earn the credits for the unicorn cars by racing. It’s really not that hard to figure out if you don’t make an extremely over simplified and bad faith interpretation of my post.

Since it's "Gran Turismo Sport," I feel like Sport Mode should have much better payouts.

If the goal is to get more people racing online & racing clean, then I think the game should incentivize online clean racing more than it rewards offline grinding.

When players want more credits to buy more cars to race with, I think it would be cool if their first inclination was to go do some clean racing in public lobbies knowing they'll be nicely rewarded for it (even when they don't win)...

...But instead, when players want credits to buy cars for racing, the game drives players out of multiplayer lobbies and back to single-player slogging for bigger payouts.

If the game is going to hand out generous "participation trophies," then I wish it would hand them out for participating in things that make the game better for everyone - like for participating in clean multiplayer racing.

These players who want to get the expensive cars in the game just do the rubber banding trick, on your DS4 all you need is a rubber band on the Brake and go to this track below.

You know we shouldn't have to be doing any of this asinine grinding, right? The fact that we're having to basically rubber band our controllers just to get vehicles that basically have a quick shelf life before being put back into the garage, to be rarely used, is stupid. So stupid.

No amount of 'well you just need to leave your PS4 on for 15 hours while the game drives for you, no biggie, if you can't do it then you're spoiled!' can get away from the fact that we shouldn't have to do this, nor should we be forced to, like Polyphony is doing. Especially when you consider that if a person actually does *want* to complete all events in GT League, then eventually they have to contend with this elephant in the room, and there's absolutely no way, if I am a person who is mostly playing offline and is faced with this sort of thing, do I even bother. Hell, I'd probably shelve the game right there and then, because obviously the game has no desire to honor my time by throwing up these flaming hoops for me to jump over.

Since it's "Gran Turismo Sport," I feel like Sport Mode should have much better payouts.

If the goal is to get more people racing online & racing clean, then I think the game should incentivize online clean racing more than it rewards offline grinding.

When players want more credits to buy more cars to race with, I think it would be cool if their first inclination was to go do some clean racing in public lobbies knowing they'll be nicely rewarded for it (even when they don't win)...

...But instead, when players want credits to buy cars for racing, the game drives players out of multiplayer lobbies and back to single-player slogging for bigger payouts.

If the game is going to hand out generous "participation trophies," then I wish it would hand them out for participating in things that make the game better for everyone - like for participating in clean multiplayer racing.

This is the ultimate irony of it all. But then again, by this point, I have a very good feeling that the lack of payouts for Sport races and online racing is deliberate.

You know we shouldn't have to be doing any of this asinine grinding, right? The fact that we're having to basically rubber band our controllers just to get vehicles that basically have a quick shelf life before being put back into the garage, to be rarely used, is stupid. So stupid.

No amount of 'well you just need to leave your PS4 on for 15 hours while the game drives for you, no biggie, if you can't do it then you're spoiled!' can get away from the fact that we shouldn't have to do this, nor should we be forced to, like Polyphony is doing. Especially when you consider that if a person actually does *want* to complete all events in GT League, then eventually they have to contend with this elephant in the room, and there's absolutely no way, if I am a person who is mostly playing offline and is faced with this sort of thing, do I even bother. Hell, I'd probably shelve the game right there and then, because obviously the game has no desire to honor my time by throwing up these flaming hoops for me to jump over.

This is the ultimate irony of it all. But then again, by this point, I have a very good feeling that the lack of payouts for Sport races and online racing is deliberate.
Your point regarding people needing to grind if they want to complete all GT League races is, according to my spreadsheet, factually wrong.

You will earn over 24mill Cr. if you win all events in GT League, and that is not counting the Professional Nostalgia race car events.
It also does not include any GT League clean race bonuses, nor the rather fast and easy money in Driving School, Mission Challenges, Circuit Experience, nor Arcade Custom Races.

It seems to me that the opportunity to buy a 'unicorn' car so you can complete all GT League races, if that is what you wish to do, is in fact more than possible without any grinding at all.

These players who want to get the expensive cars in the game just do the rubber banding trick, on your DS4 all you need is a rubber band on the Brake and go to this track below.

View attachment 850683
This below picture is what you earn while you are sleeping, and while you come 2nd in a 15 hour race. Before you start the race go to the driving options, Auto-Drive must be on Brake/Steering and then Active Stability Management (ASM) on as well. Why I have these Options on, is because I have found the N100 car may get stuck on the wall if you have these options off.

View attachment 850687

Such strong views on the game's economy based on an unsupervised rubber band. Well played.

Your point regarding people needing to grind if they want to complete all GT League races is, according to my spreadsheet, factually wrong.

You will earn over 24mill Cr. if you win all events in GT League, and that is not counting the Professional Nostalgia race car events.
It also does not include any GT League clean race bonuses, nor the rather fast and easy money in Driving School, Mission Challenges, Circuit Experience, nor Arcade Custom Races.

It seems to me that the opportunity to buy a 'unicorn' car so you can complete all GT League races, if that is what you wish to do, is in fact more than possible without any grinding at all.

By that reckoning, I'd only have to do all of career mode 7 or 8 times for all the cars, with every race being a part of the grind for said cars.

However you paint it, GT league will always be an unreasonable grind.

Such strong views on the game's economy based on an unsupervised rubber band. Well played.

By that reckoning, I'd only have to do all of career mode 7 or 8 times for all the cars, with every race being a part of the grind for said cars.

However you paint it, GT league will always be an unreasonable grind.
Yeh, I guess so mate. If you want all the cars.

But I'm not trying to 'paint' anything.
I've always said that I think the Cr. economy is about right for the vast majority of the game, but that the price of a half dozen cars is too expensive to be in the same economy as other cars 1000x cheaper.

What I was trying to suggest in that post was that it isn't necessary to grind to 'complete' the GT League, which was the claim I was responding to.

Last edited:
This might be off-topic but I had just a personally rewarding win in the Sardegna Reverse race in a XJ13, chasing a rabbit Ferrari & passing with a lap to go. Tried to dip into the 1:43s but only could get a 1:44.2. (Using a controller, cat chewed through my G29 cord, if anyone could suggest a way to repair them PM me) The Goodwood race seems harder to me because of the Ferrari’s straight line advantage. (I do own the XJ13 & 330 that I bought w/o rubber-banding or receiving as a gift car). Saving up for a MK Ford now.

I’ve played all Gran Turismo games stingy , which is by using prize/gift cars & rarely buying cars with credits. That’s my strategy for saving credits.

Yeah sorry if I want to also enjoy the cars that I already have.

This might be off-topic but I had just a personally rewarding win in the Sardegna Reverse race in a XJ13, chasing a rabbit Ferrari & passing with a lap to go. Tried to dip into the 1:43s but only could get a 1:44.2. (Using a controller, cat chewed through my G29 cord, if anyone could suggest a way to repair them PM me) The Goodwood race seems harder to me because of the Ferrari’s straight line advantage. (I do own the XJ13 & 330 that I bought w/o rubber-banding or receiving as a gift car). Saving up for a MK Ford now.

I’ve played all Gran Turismo games stingy , which is by using prize/gift cars & rarely buying cars with credits. That’s my strategy for saving credits.
That G29 cord that your cat chewed through, give Logitech a call and they will send you the part, but it depends on what part has been chewed.

The Corvette Stingray is eligible and "only" 5 million - had it out after upgrading power / weight (bye bye mileage points!!) and it only reached 205 KMH so had a fiddle with gears so that it now reaches 360+ - only came 5th after crash on last bends (had got up to 3rd) but only 5 seconds behind winner, so it is do-able and probably with ease for good drivers!!

Will try again later today - meantime if anyone found a tune please pass it on!

Last edited:
The Corvette Stingray is eligible and "only" 5 million - had it out after upgrading power / weight (bye bye mileage points!!) and it only reached 205 KMH so had a fiddle with gears so that it now reaches 360+ - only came 5th after crash on last bend (had got up to 3rd) but only 5 seconds behind winner, so it is do-able and probably with ease for good drivers!!

Will try again later today - meantime if anyone found a tune please pass it on!
I got my Corvette Stingray Racer Concept '59 with slipstream at 379 kmh, down the straight at the Circuit de la Sarthe. I won the race easy but the tune I have sees the car is still tale happy, but I have to still play around with the setup though. I will PM you the tune that I already have, and you try it out.

I got my Corvette Stingray Racer Concept '59 with slipstream at 379 kmh, down the straight at the Circuit de la Sarthe. I won the race easy but the tune I have sees the car is still tale happy, but I have to still play around with the setup though. I will PM you the tune that I already have, and you try it out.

Great, thanks, got the tune and will give it a try!

Forgot to mention, on the first go I did overtake a couple of P4s!

EDIT - Tried Fordlaser's setup and won - had a P4 breathing down my neck, some work to do with cornering but boy is it fast in the straights!

There we have it, the 5 million Stingray can win, no problem for most. The enjoyable "grind" now becomes much more accessible.

Last edited:
The Corvette Stingray Racer Concept is fast enough to win at La Sarthe, Monza, St Croix and Goodwood (I haven't yet been able to win at the Sardegna track with the Stingray). The toughest of the first four tracks for me is Goodwood, which I was just able to win after seven or eight attempts:
48808696226_937b5d9771_k.jpg

48808849472_8809a15579_k.jpg

The wins are not clean so I'm not getting the extra 50% bonus:(
48808845017_b32af88a61_k.jpg

My best lap was a 1:12.935 at Goodwood, while the AI was able to run a 1:12.209 with the Ferrari 330 P4
48808368003_b14ddafab8_k.jpg

edit update:
I have also been able to win at the Sardegna track, see my post # 306

Last edited:
Back