POLL: Project CARS in Hindsight?

• Thread starter VBR
  • 208 comments

If you knew back then what you know now, would you still have bought Project CARS?

• I have the PC & XB1 versions & vote NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have the PS4 & XB1 versions & vote NO

• I have all versions & vote YES

• Total voters
But, even if it were a perfect game, the community is god-awful. Only about 1 decent driver for every 30 people encountered. I can count on my one hand the only good people I've raced against since launch, and I play online exclusively.

You can say that about almost any other game though.

For me it absolutely is the greatest racing game ever. The WMD members on here tempered people's expectations enough by stressing there were issues on the builds they had seen. There were plenty of advance warnings of imperfections. I read the forum for a year and a half before launch and got what I expected. Most things worked and I have had more fun with it than any driving game/sim on any format and I've tried most of them. There has been mention of a lot of little bugs in these and the official forums but I've encountered minimal disruption when actually playing rather than reading forums.

Edit... and I mean when I read forums it always appears worse than actually playing the game.
Second that, it is the best racing game ever for me too. If the physics and tyre model wouldn't be that good i would not say this, but they are and if you combine that with the depth and diversity the gameplay offers, and the gorgeous graphics you have a wonderful package indeed.

I also look at the future, as this is still a diamond in the rough that needs more polishing, but i'm quite confident SMS will deliver just that.

*sigh* I have the Xbox One version and voted "yes."

I've had a lot of issues with it. I was irate when I had to start from the beginning all over again because SMS made the boneheaded move to include replays as part of our save file and let Xbox One owners keep adding to that file size knowing full well that if it gets too big it can get corrupted. However..., when it works properly..., I have been happy with it. I keep putting up with the constant abuse and continue dating CARS despite all the mistreatment of me.

PS4 and No. Meaning that I wouldn't have bought it on release, considering the myriad of bugs that are in the game.
And while 2.0 solved a lot of things, it also introduced new and more annoying bugs in my experience.

While it's still one of my favorite games on the PS4, if I knew what I know now, I would have waited until the majority of major bugs are fixed before picking it up.

Also the DLC compatibility with the Career Mode is a disaster. I totally didn't expect that before they started to rolling it out.

I would still purchase pcars. At the end of the day it's still more fun then I have had with any other racing game. The only thing that bothers me is racing online, as it doesn't always accurately track all the cars. I have watched people who cross the finish line behind me, finish in front me on the final race results. This has happened a few times. Even with that I still will keep coming back, because it's fun.

I remember GT5 when it first came out, and I loved it. Don't even try and pretend you didn't. It was riddled with bugs and shortcomings because they finally had to publish. It's like writing a book; it's never really finished, but at some point you have to publish. The great thing about these games, especially this one, unlike books, firstly, VERY LITTLE READING REQUIRED, second, the "readers" can give feedback and the authors actually do listen (sometimes) and make improvements. This really is the best thing going right now, and if for nothing more than to light a fire under the Gran Turismo Developers proverbial butts, SOUND & DAMAGE MODELING HELLO, we get to start out on this first edition release of a truly promising series for console drivers. I would not only buy it again, but I would buy a PS4 and wheel again just to play this game. One day you will be telling your grand children while they drive Project Cars X in the holodeck about the olden days of yore when you played the original Project Cars on an old solid state computer thing called a Playstation or Xbox or PC or whatever, it won't matter because your grandchild will already have forgotten you're there.

Had I known I'd be buying a gaming capable PC I wouldn't have bought the Xbone version of PCars as well but I'm pretty happy with both versions. These poll results put the vocal complaints into perspective and suggest that the loudest moaners are in the minority on all platforms.

One day you will be telling your grand children while they drive Project Cars X in the holodeck about the olden days of yore when you played the original Project Cars on an old solid state computer thing called a Playstation or Xbox or PC or whatever, it won't matter because your grandchild will already have forgotten you're there.
:lol:

I probably would have still bought it just because there is nothing competing against it.

I have DriveClub but I really wanted a circuit racer, I thought/hoped PCars was it but it wasn't the case.

I haven't bought the DLC and I certainly won't buy PCars2 at launch if at all.

Had I known I'd be buying a gaming capable PC I wouldn't have bought the Xbone version of PCars as well but I'm pretty happy with both versions. These poll results put the vocal complaints into perspective and suggest that the loudest moaners are in the minority on all platforms.

Or proves that "ignorance is bliss" ;-)

Nice. I guess if ignorance is bliss then arrogance is always unhappy in this case. The poll results speak for themselves.

I highly doubt anyone that spends more than a few minutes on GTP is unaware of the issues with the game. It just happens that the vast majority think the issues are relatively minor in relation to how much they like the game.

Or because they are looking through rose tinted glasses ;-) I suppose this also proves the difference between the avid racer/gamer and the casual user.

Initially I too thought this was a fantastic game until I looked below the hype and glossy video.

Or because they are looking through rose tinted glasses ;-) I suppose this also proves the difference between the avid racer/gamer and the casual user.

Initially I too thought this was a fantastic game until I looked below the hype and glossy video.

So I am arrogant because I have bought a broken game and paid for DLC that doesn't work properly? Interesting view you have there UKMikey.

I would class myself as an avid racer/gamer and am definitely not looking through rose tinted glasses, I'm annoyed at SMS for missing out features we were promised and when it comes to bugs I'm as critical as anybody, but for me the pros far outweigh the cons. I am enjoying this game far more than I ever did with GT/Forza and the career mode is the best I've played in any racing "game". The bugs can ruin the odd race here and there, but nothing as far as making it "unplayable"

Maybe you were just unlucky and bought the worst copy of the game. Some people just like to moan, I don't know.

So I am arrogant because I have bought a broken game and paid for DLC that doesn't work properly? Interesting view you have there UKMikey.
And yet you think it's all right to call people who are happy with the game they've bought despite the flaws ignorant casual users for not seeing things the way you do? That sounds pretty arrogant to me. However, blissful or not they still make up the vast majority of respondents to the poll.

What this poll shows is that about 20% of the people who responded wouldn't buy the game again. That's not exactly numbers to be proud of. In most of the business world that would be considered a disaster.

Last edited:
There's no arrogance in sharing your own views and feelings on the game. The arrogance is in presuming you can speak for others and project motivations onto them in light of your own experiences.

You can borrow this if you like...:sly:
Flame suit.jpg

What this poll shows is that about 20% of the people who responded wouldn't buy the game again. That's not exactly numbers to be proud of. In most of the business world that would be considered a disaster.

Could be worse Nascar the game was returned in the thousands

And yet you think it's all right to call people who are happy with the game they've bought despite the flaws ignorant casual users for not seeing things the way you do? That sounds pretty arrogant to me. However, blissful or not they still make up the vast majority of respondents to the poll.

Arrogance is defending a broken game and deriding anyone who dares point at the flaws.

Also please refer to the tale of "The Emperor's New Clothes". Perhaps it should be renamed in lieu of the 21st century as "The Emperor's New Racing Sim" :-)

There's no arrogance in sharing your own views and feelings on the game. The arrogance is in presuming you can speak for others and project motivations onto them in light of your own experiences.

You can borrow this if you like...:sly:
View attachment 422476

Hahahaha that is very funny :-) Yes I am well aware of the need for flame suits on forums.

Just to clarify a bit I am speaking for about dozen or so people that I know of that have bought this game on PS4 and who have stopped playing it because of the bugs and other issues.

I am just the poor mug that stood up and said something.

I am also really annoyed at the moment because of the latest DLC has messed up my garage and all my tunes so I am not racing until it gets sorted. And if patch 3.0 doesn't fix all the major issues I too will be done with the game and this forum.

Hahahaha that is very funny :-) Yes I am well aware of the need for flame suits on forums.

Just to clarify a bit I am speaking for about dozen or so people that I know of that have bought this game on PS4 and who have stopped playing it because of the bugs and other issues.

I am just the poor mug that stood up and said something.

I am also really annoyed at the moment because of the latest DLC has messed up my garage and all my tunes so I am not racing until it gets sorted. And if patch 3.0 doesn't fix all the major issues I too will be done with the game and this forum.
I have a closet full of flame suits ready for loan at all times:sly:. We all understand your frustration, if it was me I would have put the game away and gone on to something else and waited for it to get sorted. Hope it works out for you:crazy:

I have a closet full of flame suits ready for loan at all times:sly:. We all understand your frustration, if it was me I would have put the game away and gone on to something else and waited for it to get sorted. Hope it works out for you:crazy:

What I find the most frustrating is that I am 5 races away from finishing the career and they are locked (bugged!).

Apart from being an avid racer I also like getting my PS trophies. Both GT5 and 6 I got my platinum on both my accounts. I would like my platinum for PCARS as well (currently at 91%). I most certainly will not be repeating it for my other account as once is more than enough :-(

And yes, I am on the verge of going back to GT6 full time and forgetting about this fiasco.

Perhaps you should stock up on the miniature violins as well for this bloke and the invisible silent majority he speaks for. Roll on Patch 3.0.

I haven't played Pcars since before 2.0 came out, because I have lots of other games to play, and not a lot of time to play them. I am now holding off getting back into it until I get my wheel, which will be in another month or so. I think this is a good idea, as I'll have plenty to keep me busy till then, and there should be more fixed by then too. not to mention with the wheel I'll finally be able to experience the depth of the physics.

I'll be having cravings to play it so bad by the time my wheel gets here lol.

Perhaps you should stock up on the miniature violins as well for this bloke and the invisible silent majority he speaks for. Roll on Patch 3.0.

I never claimed I spoke for the silent majority. Those that are no longer interested in the game probably don't come here anymore or would be bothered in replying to the poll even if they did drop by.

BTW I am quite used to "Fan Boys" on forums ridiculing nay sayers ;-)

The only reason why I am still here is waiting for information on patch 3.0. If the next patch doesn't fix the glaring issues you won't see me here anymore either as I will return to GT6 and wait for Asetto Corse and GT7.

Back