Relaxed, General FH3 Chat

• Thread starter RacerPaul
  • 8,220 comments
Has horizon killed fm7 for any of y'all? I'm not excited about it at all. I don't see the point. Given a hypothetical collection of cars; you might race a few every now and then, but I'm sure most would rather just take a cruise in them.

Just wondering what you guys think

Has horizon killed fm7 for any of y'all? I'm not excited about it at all. I don't see the point. Given a hypothetical collection of cars; you might race a few every now and then, but I'm sure most would rather just take a cruise in them.

They're two different types of games, neither really spoils the other for me.

Having said that, FH3 has killed my anticipation for FH4. It will need to be more than a "play for a month or two and move on" title like FH3 has been for me to really be interested.

Complete opposite for me, to be honest. I liked tuning and comparing many cars on many different tracks, I would specifically try to make them as fast as they can in a specific class and take them to the leaderboard. Any car that would reach in the top few hundreds of the leaderboards tend to be my most used, but I drove and raced every car I bought, if I didn't like them I would remove them from my garage, and even then, I still had at least 200 cars that I would frequently switch around. I never liked sticking to one car, especially online, I liked using cars that people weren't using often and would usually change cars every few races.

In short, I would much prefer to race, than to cruise.

So I'm not all alone thinking like this after all :lol:

I'm sure I will enjoy FM7, but I just like FH3 a lot more than any other racing game I've ever played (and I've played quite many of them). There are things that could be better (map, AI) but the game is still good enough to make me lose interest in any upcoming racing games :indiff:

Nope, I'm actually more excited to use some features from FH3 in FM7 such as the wide body kits. They'll help when replicating race cars and testing them on real world race tracks.

I'm getting FM7, but I'm not especially excited about it. I will probably still play more FH3 over the next year than FM7.

They're two different types of games, neither really spoils the other for me.

Having said that, FH3 has killed my anticipation for FH4. It will need to be more than a "play for a month or two and move on" title like FH3 has been for me to really be interested.

It would do best for FH4 to follow more in the footsteps of the game it killed: Test Drive Unlimited.

Day 30

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about the design of the labels that denote the start and end of each race route. Each label needs to make it clear whether it points to the start of an event or the finish. Some spectators may want to watch cars set away from the grid, while others may want to wait for a dramatic finish and since many of the Horizon festival's events are point-to-point, the start and finish lines are in 2 different places.

I filled a page of my notebook with sketches of various icon ideas, going from the predictable chequered flag for a finish to more abstract ideas. The overall idea of this project is to take something vastly complicated and make it easy to understand however, so I came to a natural solution; match the style of the labels to something that already exists on the routelist.

I mentioned before how each entry on the routelist has a routeline denoting the start and end co-ordinates of an event. The design for that routeline's start and end points now carries over to the on-map labels themselves, and further reinforces the point that if you see 2 things with a similar style they must be related.

In this screenshot you see 2 endpoints of race routes, Showcases specifically. You'll see start points as I share further progress, but I think this solution will work when applied across the 69 race routes that appear in total. I have some slight concerns about the scale of these but I'll know soon enough if it was the right call.

So I haven't played FH3 in a quite some time, and this is the first time I've posted on here in quite some time, so its probably best if I unsubscribe to this thread and look forward to Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 4.

Thanks guys. 👍

As much as I love FH3, I much prefer Forza Motorsport anyway of the week and look forward to FM7. Than again, both games are different and offer different things to one of another.

Can't wait to race down Maple Valley again, but this time with cars like the Audi Sport Quattro S1, Lancia Stratos Group 4, and much more!

It would do best for FH4 to follow more in the footsteps of the game it killed: Test Drive Unlimited.
But if it killed TDU, how would becoming like TDU help?
Then someone makes a game like FH3 and steals the prize back.

I'm getting FM7, but I'm not especially excited about it. I will probably still play more FH3 over the next year than FM7.
I've been wondering if I even want to buy FM7 right away because I keep playing Horizon.

If FH4 gets track days it could be the last game I ever play. :lol:

But if it killed TDU, how would becoming like TDU help?
Then someone makes a game like FH3 and steals the prize back.

I have mentioned in the 'what are you expecting from FH4' thread but the festival setting that have been in the past three games are quickly becoming stale, and even if they weren't, Playground does nothing to make it *feel* like a festival atmosphere. As a result, I say it should become more like TDU in embracing social gameplay aspects: buying homes, clothes for an avatar, etc, but also giving out a much larger and varied driving environment as well.

I have mentioned in the 'what are you expecting from FH4' thread but the festival setting that have been in the past three games are quickly becoming stale, and even if they weren't, Playground does nothing to make it *feel* like a festival atmosphere. As a result, I say it should become more like TDU in embracing social gameplay aspects: buying homes, clothes for an avatar, etc, but also giving out a much larger and varied driving environment as well.

As long as Horizon doesn't become a millionaire lifestyle simulator, I'm fine with those features, even though I don't see myself using them. I've never played a TDU game, so I don't know how those things work or are implemented.

As long as Horizon doesn't become a millionaire lifestyle simulator, I'm fine with those features, even though I don't see myself using them. I've never played a TDU game, so I don't know how those things work or are implemented.

TDU 1 was relatively even handed in that regard. TDU 2....less so, but then again, TDU 2 was a generally bad game.

I don't really care about those things, except a larger environment I think anyone would enjoy, even those of us that are fine with the gigantic area in FH3.

Going "home" instead of going to a festival site could be fun, but then what's the game?
Forza street racing?
Forza underground?

At the point where it's no longer centered around some kind of festival, it's just regular old street racing.
(Not that I care if it is street racing, but it seems like they took steps to make street racing not street racing)

Day 30

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about the design of the labels that denote the start and end of each race route. Each label needs to make it clear whether it points to the start of an event or the finish. Some spectators may want to watch cars set away from the grid, while others may want to wait for a dramatic finish and since many of the Horizon festival's events are point-to-point, the start and finish lines are in 2 different places.

I filled a page of my notebook with sketches of various icon ideas, going from the predictable chequered flag for a finish to more abstract ideas. The overall idea of this project is to take something vastly complicated and make it easy to understand however, so I came to a natural solution; match the style of the labels to something that already exists on the routelist.

I mentioned before how each entry on the routelist has a routeline denoting the start and end co-ordinates of an event. The design for that routeline's start and end points now carries over to the on-map labels themselves, and further reinforces the point that if you see 2 things with a similar style they must be related.

In this screenshot you see 2 endpoints of race routes, Showcases specifically. You'll see start points as I share further progress, but I think this solution will work when applied across the 69 race routes that appear in total. I have some slight concerns about the scale of these but I'll know soon enough if it was the right call.

I'm honestly looking more forward to Project Cars 2 than I am Forza 7. I'm not trying to start any wars by saying that that is just how I feel.

That said I still intend to play Forza 7 but I'm not as hyped as I was shall before Forza 6 came out.

Honestly I don't need a new Forza game every year.. It seems they are going down the Fifa/Call of Duty/Assasins Creed path of a new game every year and honestly I think I feel less hyped about that.

I actually got bored of Horizon 3 quite quickly and only play it from time to time unlike Horizon 2 which I was still playing up to 6's release.

It may have something to do with the fact that I'm just not that big a gamer anymore and I only really play Racing games now.

Forza 7 certainly doesn't look like a bad game but I'm not exactly counting down the days hours minutes etc like I have been in the past.

I'm honestly looking more forward to Project Cars 2 than I am Forza 7. I'm not trying to start any wars by saying that that is just how I feel.

Your preaching to the choir. I have vacation days setup around pc2's release.

I actually got bored of Horizon 3 quite quickly and only play it from time to time unlike Horizon 2

Do you use a wheel? I never get tired of cruising in all these examples of automotive excellence. Id be happy playing horizon 1 using a wheel( still installed). Never played 2, probably try to catch it on sale just for the map.

That said I still intend to play Forza 7 but I'm not as hyped as I was shall before Forza 6 came out.

Honestly I don't need a new Forza game every year.. It seems they are going down the Fifa/Call of Duty/Assasins Creed path of a new game every year and honestly I think I feel less hyped about that.

I actually got bored of Horizon 3 quite quickly and only play it from time to time unlike Horizon 2 which I was still playing up to 6's release.

It may have something to do with the fact that I'm just not that big a gamer anymore and I only really play Racing games now.

Forza 7 certainly doesn't look like a bad game but I'm not exactly counting down the days hours minutes etc like I have been in the past.
Excellent point in there. (Albeit by mistake)
Sports games releasing titles every year, if nothing else to update rosters players and teams.

Releasing games often doesn't make them any bit worse, it simply makes the changes more gradual.
Jump any 2 games to see what I mean. (Of course you can always skip new ones, but much like any other sports game you will have to deal with less content and everyone else playing the new game)

I've finally gotten back into Forza after buying another Xbox One. So I'm just playing Horizon 3 and loving it until Forza Motorsport 7 lands. Just got a question regarding the Bentley GT3. If I buy that out of the auction house do I have to buy DLC to actually have the car-such as the Huracan Trofeo I was gifted and then realised I've got to buy the all stars pack which weirdly enough doesn't appear on the dlc menu in the game.

Any help much appreciated.

Just got a question regarding the Bentley GT3. If I buy that out of the auction house do I have to buy DLC to actually have the car-such as the Huracan Trofeo I was gifted and then realised I've got to buy the all stars pack which weirdly enough doesn't appear on the dlc menu in the game.

The Bentley isn't a part of the Motorsport pack so you will be able to use it. There is also a Ford V8 Supercar available outside of this pack as well as the recently added Flying Lizard 911.

For reference here are the cars included in that pack.
  • 2014 Audi #45 Flying Lizard Motorsports R8 LMS ultra
  • 2014 BMW #55 Team RLL Z4 GTE
  • 2014 Chevrolet #3 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R
  • 2014 Dodge #94 SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R
  • 2014 Ferrari #51 AF Corse 458 Italia GTE
  • 2016 Ford #55 Supercheap Falcon FG X
  • 2016 Ford #66 Racing GT Le Mans
  • 2016 Holden #22 Sharkbite HRT VF Commodore
  • 2015 Lamborghini #63 Squadra Corse Huracán LP620-2 Super Trofeo
  • 2015 Nissan #1 NISMO MOTUL AUTECH GT-R

The Bentley isn't a part of the Motorsport pack so you will be able to use it. There is also a Ford V8 Supercar available outside of this pack as well as the recently added Flying Lizard 911.

For reference here are the cars included in that pack.
  • 2014 Audi #45 Flying Lizard Motorsports R8 LMS ultra
  • 2014 BMW #55 Team RLL Z4 GTE
  • 2014 Chevrolet #3 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R
  • 2014 Dodge #94 SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R
  • 2014 Ferrari #51 AF Corse 458 Italia GTE
  • 2016 Ford #55 Supercheap Falcon FG X
  • 2016 Ford #66 Racing GT Le Mans
  • 2016 Holden #22 Sharkbite HRT VF Commodore
  • 2015 Lamborghini #63 Squadra Corse Huracán LP620-2 Super Trofeo
  • 2015 Nissan #1 NISMO MOTUL AUTECH GT-R

Awesome. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Well, I've managed to get every achievement.

full

The two achievements requiring you to play co-op events (Road Buddy and Ice to See You) were the most annoying to get but I persisted and found people who actually wanted to play the game.

I hear you on that - lately, their games seem to focus more on the young kids/youtubing generation demographic. It really is disappointing to see how the game went from an authentic console track racing game to a car collecting game where anybody not even familiar with proper driving techniques can pick up and play the game, be good at it etc. We already have far too many arcade games on the market, so I'm guessing T10/MS are really starting to chase some ambitious sales figures and not longer put key focus on what made the Forza franchise such a refreshing change from the GT games: depth and quality.

Back