Release date ;)

• Thread starter MrAdam89
  • 234 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing PCARS2 I've almost lost hope in PD, it has 60 tracks and 170 cars, Dynamic weather and more in just 2 years.
As we found out last night, all of the new tracks are drone laser scanned and some of the tracks from PCars1 were updated to laser scan spec as well, in addition to the handful that were already laser scanned. This is a big deal IMO, laser scanning and terrific FFB in AC has absolutely spoiled me and the relatively dull and dead feeling of GT6 better be dramatically improved in GTS, or it will fall even further behind in this area relative to the competition.

Why, PCARS 2 is the Titanfall 2 where is GTSport is Call of Duty.

One problem with that.
If GTS is COD. Shouldn't we have one every year just a slight difference from the year before?

@TJ13 don't question my awesome analogy :P

seriously though, I still feel SMS are making a mistake, I'd bet they'll try to put as much distance from GT and Forza as they can when we get official release dates for those.

As we found out last night, all of the new tracks are drone laser scanned and some of the tracks from PCars1 were updated to laser scan spec as well, in addition to the handful that were already laser scanned. This is a big deal IMO, laser scanning and terrific FFB in AC has absolutely spoiled me and the relatively dull and dead feeling of GT6 better be dramatically improved in GTS, or it will fall even further behind in this area relative to the competition.

Some are photo-scanned (with drones), some are laser-scanned. Two different processes for similar results in the end. The GTP article title gets it wrong.

All new GT6 tracks were already laser-scanned: Ascari/Willow/Brands/Bathurst and so on.

And you can go back and re-read my exchange with Ian Bell on the subject.

@sems4arsenal I do question it :P :lol: I mean we can have GTS 2 next year and GTS World the year after and so on. :lol:

But in all if some big racing game on PS4 that gives a "time frame" maybe will give PD a thing to maybe compete with it on a "late 2017" release too?

I just think that maybe PD is overthinking this too much and is trying to end up putting GTS as a GT7 game.

Pcars2 will have not have any relevance to GTS release date :banghead:

But it will be interesting to see how the games do as Pcars2, Forza and GTS all will be released this year

I'm also a bit worried that PD has lost me to AC. Numb driving or no, I'll be buying GTS to see how the online matchmaking is. I expect the FFB, sounds, penalties and bugs to be the deciding factors in whether I stick with it from there.

PCars 2 (can we just use PC1/PC2?) looks promising. If they put half as much effort into revamping the guts of the game as they have into making it look pretty, I could see getting into that.

What released annually? :lol:

For all you know GT is the new Titanfall.

Rather it's the big name, the one the always and is expected to sell significantly more than the competition, PCARS 2 is like Titanfall 2, follow up to a successful first installment, has a moderate following but won't sale anything close to the other two.

Some are photo-scanned (with drones), some are laser-scanned. Two different processes for similar results in the end. The GTP article title gets it wrong.

All new GT6 tracks were already laser-scanned: Ascari/Willow/Brands/Bathurst and so on.

And you can go back and re-read my exchange with Ian Bell on the subject.
I'm aware that some of the tracks in GT6 were laser scanned, but the FFB was dull and lifeless compared to other games IMO. Even the simcade Grid Autosport game me better feedback as to what was happening with the car. Combined with the ability to use a wide range of adjustments in other games to fine tune your individual experience, it leaves GT in the dust...so far. We'll see what GTS brings to the table on both fronts.

Rather it's the big name, the one the always and is expected to sell significantly more than the competition, PCARS 2 is like Titanfall 2, follow up to a successful first installment, has a moderate following but won't sale anything close to the other two.

Is it also going to be really very good but not sell nearly as much as it deserves? :P

Were are you watching a Beyonce video at the time?:D
beyonce.png

That's it!:mad:
You are banned!:mischievous:

:D

How funny to see this, GTS is gonna be best selling sim of generation, there was 8 (!) Forza games in last years and none of them got sales even near to GT6
Four actually. Not exactly relevent anyway. Not on Sony hardware. GTS is focused on esport online PvP so is being made for a minority. No dynamic time or day or weather for frame rate reasons is for PVR purposes. So its actually being made for a minority of a minority. Yep. Looks like a Slam dunk for BIG sales.

How funny to see this, GTS is gonna be best selling sim of generation, there was 8 (!) Forza games in last years and none of them got sales even near to GT6

They're all pretty good games though. And there's four. And you can play them, right now. Chances are fairly high that you'll have FM7 before GTS too.

GTS may sell a lot, although that remains to be seen with the drop in racing game sales and Polyphony's tarnishing of the GT brand, but it's one smallish game. It's way too late for the GT3 effect and bundling to make a massive smash out of it. It doesn't have the desperate hype of GT5P. How far can it really get?

Four actually. Not exactly relevent anyway. Not on Sony hardware. GTS is focused on esport online PvP so is being made for a minority. No dynamic time or day or weather for frame rate reasons is for PVR purposes. So its actually being made for a minority of a minority. Yep. Looks like a Slam dunk for BIG sales.

Online multiplayer is the present and future. You are in the minority there. :/
And consumers do know what's "good online" and "bad online" and which developers manage to support it well or not.

Activision-Blizzard report just came out and the GTAV phenomenom is online driven. They made almost a billion dollars on microtransactions there and it sold 15mi last year. A game from 2013. People are jumping in for its online features.
Rocket League reached 25mi players. You know why.
Then of course there's DOTA, LoL, CSGO, OW.

Why do you think PCARS2 is investing heavily on tools for that? Because while they sold 2mi+ copies, they spawned a bunch of satellite racing leagues and with that comes sponsors/advertisers and a market which they can control for big money.

If you build it right, they'll come.

And you'll love this: It's not an either - or situation. You can have an online focused game while you still support its base structure, which allows people that are not really into the online aspect to continue to play.

Exemple: If you like AC, you expect it to be supported with car packs and tracks, not new career modes every 3 months.
An online game will be receiving car packs and tracks just like the non-online game.

Last edited:
And consumers do know what's "good online" and "bad online" and which developers manage to support it well or not.

Activision-Blizzard report just came out and the GTAV phenomenom is online driven. They made almost a billion dollars on microtransactions there and it sold 15mi last year. A game from 2013. People are jumping in for its online features.

Why do you think PCARS2 is investing heavily on tools for that? Because while they sold 2mi+ copies, they spawned a bunch of satellite racing leagues and with that comes sponsorships and a market which they can control for big money.

And you'll love this: It's not an either - or situation. You can have an online focused game while still support its base structure which allow people that are not really into the online aspect to continue to play.

Exemple: If you like AC, you expect it to be supported with car packs and tracks, not new career modes every 3 months.
An online game will be receiving car packs and tracks just like the non-online game.
Keep dreaming mate. Kunos themselves have said less than 20% of PC players have even so much as clicked on the online tab. I got the trophy on PS4 version for the amazingly difficult task of completing a single lap in a online race. The take up of that trophy was significantly less than 20%

Every time gamefaqs run a poll on what people want to play if they could only play one type. Offline solo always wins and online only never gets as high as 2% of the vote. The split in the votes doesn't vary at all year after year.

Keep dreaming mate. Kunos themselves have said less than 20% of PC players have even so much as clicked on the online tab. I got the trophy on PS4 version for the amazingly difficult task of completing a single lap in a online race. The take up if that trophy was significantly less than 20%

Every time gamefaqs run a poll on what people want to play if they could only play one type. Offline solo always wins and online only never gets as high as 2% of the vote.

I said consumers know the difference between 'good online' and 'bad online'.
AC has the online tools of a game from the early 00's, and that's not hyperbole. Star Wars Battlefront sold 15mi copies being an online only game and shortly after, its servers were pretty much barren (100k total between 3 platforms I think), why? Poor matchmaking tools, long wait times and other issues.

And trophy rates do not sustain any side of the argument really.
When you got less than 30% doing less than half F6 career, 10% number of people play enough PCARS to receive 22 accolades which it seems is rather early on doing offline content.
Less than 40% drove one lap on Nurburgring in AC, the "career" mode sees even worse stats.

When you look at other simple achievements like multiple laps, speed ones, it gets on the same level as online participation.

And gamefaqs "popular" boards activity: First is Smash Bros (which has a strong esport competitive scene), look at the most messages: LoL, FFXV (will be adding MP through DLC) Destiny, Pokemon Sun (has a strong PvP component and multiplayer trade).

And iRacing with its expensive subscription model manages to maintain 50k+ active members.

Last edited:
You really dont know this, GTS are totally unpredictable based on the fact the last two GT games were disappointing, basing it on wether people know what GTS is about. This game would certainly not shift big numbers without GT on the box.

Why do you think PCARS2 is investing heavily on tools for that? Because while they sold 2mi+ copies, they spawned a bunch of satellite racing leagues and with that comes sponsors/advertisers and a market which they can control for big money.

And you'll love this: It's not an either - or situation. You can have an online focused game while you still support its base structure, which allows people that are not really into the online aspect to continue to play.

GT5 sold 10 million copies, a racing game. Were there anywhere near 10 million players online? Nope. Your stats regarding GTA and Rocket league are completely irrelevant to a racing game.

Rocket league has 25 million people who have played it at least once ( the game was free on PSN), it certainly does not ave 25 million players that play the game. 4 people out of 100 on my friends list play the game whilst the rest download ed it and tried it. There are only 100k players online at any one time. Rocket league is also easy to play as is GTA, unlike a racing game where if You're not very good then online racing is no fun.

Pcars my have sold 2mill copies but SMS are not investing in online for those 2mill buyers. It should be pointed out Pcars had a proper career mode whilst GTS wont.

It should also be pointed out selling 2 or 3 million copies is simply not a good return on investment for Sony. You are deluding yourself here that millions of people will buy GTS for online. GTS imo will be the least played GT of all, regardless of sales figures.

You really dont know this, GTS are totally unpredictable based on the fact the last two GT games were disappointing, basing it on wether people know what GTS is about. This game would certainly not shift big numbers without GT on the box.
GT5 sold 10 million copies, a racing game. Were there anywhere near 10 million players online? Nope. Your stats regarding GTA and Rocket league are completely irrelevant to a racing game.

Rocket league has 25 million people who have played it at least once ( the game was free on PSN), it certainly does not ave 25 million players that play the game. 4 people out of 100 on my friends list play the game whilst the rest download ed it and tried it. There are only 100k players online at any one time. Rocket league is also easy to play as is GTA, unlike a racing game where if You're not very good then online racing is no fun.

Pcars my have sold 2mill copies but SMS are not investing in online for those 2mill buyers. It should be pointed out Pcars had a proper career mode whilst GTS wont.

It should also be pointed out selling 2 or 3 million copies is simply not a good return on investment for Sony. You are deluding yourself here that millions of people will buy GTS for online. GTS imo will be the least played GT of all, regardless of sales figures.

Lets line up the arguments:
Regardless of online/offline, sales numbers do not mean active players.
GT5 sold 12mi units but that does not mean there'll be: 12mi playing online. 12mi finishing or constant playing career mode. 12mi doing time trials or arcade mode races.

That's logical and has not been argued. I mention player retention because I'm well aware there's a normal drop off curve of users. I even mentioned Star Wars' extreme case.

---

Rocket League or any other game peak daily activity/total activity numbers are great. At any given hour you have from 40k to 200k users connected.
At low estimation (median play time on Steam is 3 hours) that would give you ~800k unique users, daily.
That's the kind of number publishers would be happy to see their games sell.

You seem to not understand that having 240k at this current time is an impressive number that any game would love to have. Most MMO rpgs don't see those numbers.

---

On game easiness/being good at it.
DOTA, LoL have steep entry points due their RTS systems. They have extreme learning curves for motor control of inputs and game internal rules.
Most played games online.
OW and shooters in general, easy to pick up and play, simple controls/rules. Has an extreme learning curve to perform well.
Rocket League is the same.
This is just to illustrate how the argument fails because it's estabilished that competitive sports attracts people regardless if you'll be good at it or not.

The center point is accessibility.
If it's a sport that requires a proper place/equipment, less people will play.
If it's a sport that requires a hard to obtain channel to watch/follow, less people will watch/follow.

That works the same for games.

---

On why e-Sports is seemingly important to SMS.

PCARS is investing because even if 2mi bought the game, and 20k play online, and 2k participate in e-Sports events, there they'll have a market that can generate viewership/advertisement/whatever that will be a constant stream of revenue if they know how to nurture unlike the single copy sales of their otherwise offline game.

---

Proper career mode.
Other than FUD I don't even know what this illustrates.

---

Selling 2-3mi copies and Sony's RoI (and what I think it'll sell?).
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back