RIDE

• Thread starter Fryto
  • 1,129 comments
Ok, so I've had only about 10mins and had to come off to sort other stuff out.

First thoughts then, models look awesome should be plenty of good photo opportunities here, although I feel like the camera mode is missing some functions! The track could do with some work, as @MildAshers said. I get that they are real world looking locations (not sure if they are based on any "actual" real world places), but they seem a little stale and not alive!

Bike handling, I went straight to Pro mode and turned all aids off. Now please accept that I only played for around 10 mins, so judgment here is limited, and also need to get used to bike games again. My two points of concern are the bikes does not change direction as quickly as I would have expected and the brakes feel a bit vague!
I did start to settle in to handling, but had to down tools :(
Hopefully this will all translate to a game that rewards you with the more effort you put in!

Might get some more time later, but would be interested in what you guys think.

Laters

Getting worried now for the Xbox version. Date a week later than the PS/PC versions and apparently no demo.

Last edited:
Bike handling, I went straight to Pro mode and turned all aids off. Now please accept that I only played for around 10 mins, so judgment here is limited, and also need to get used to bike games again. My two points of concern are the bikes does not change direction as quickly as I would have expected and the brakes feel a bit vague!
Been playing for a couple of hours and I've yet to get the hang of the handling model the way I'd like to. You can definitely feel that MotoGP 14's physics has been used as a foundation. It's miles better, but the still remaining lazy understeering really gets to me.

With that said, I'm having a blast with the demo so far and believe that this might be Milestone's finest game yet.

👍

Oh and one other issue...

Loading times!!! I'm waiting minutes between screens. Anyone else experiencing this?
Tell me about it. Team VVV mentioned the awful loading times but this is nothing I've experienced before. Pheeew!

Oh and one other issue...

Loading times!!! I'm waiting minutes between screens. Anyone else experiencing this?

Milestone games are known for pretty long loading screens, the WRC series has had me sitting through hours and hours of loading screens.

I think I'm finally getting used to the physics, slowly, and enjoying it even more with each new race. Will get back to that later, but for now, pictures!

3dzCOF0.png

6Al7Dph.png

9drxgnc.png

WvtosyG.png

Bonus :

MEzwrXq.png

Doughnuts...! Loving it :cheers:

@TypeRDC5 that does not bode well for the release version of the game then, was kinda hoping it was down to this demo build.

Oh, I really want to download the demo on PC (even though I'm buying on XB1), but 5GB? ... But the Speed Triple is in the demo! I'm so torn right now. I think I'll just wait till the game comes out on XBox One, April 7th for me, apparently.

Milestone could (and should) probably cut down the loading time by half or more if it wasn't for the second loading screen - the white ''showroom'' with your bike shown in full detail.

Also had a go yesterday, must say the detail on the bikes is very good.
Took me less time to get used to the physics and steering than I had with the other Milestone MotoGP games.
I also feel the brakes are a bit vague and the steering is a tad too slow for my liking, but it's better than I've experienced in the MotoGP games.
Graphics are good, but remove the mirrors when you're going to use the helmet- or in helmet cam, because they look horrendous on the PS4, you only see the asphalt and it's gliding passed with a whopping 3 frames a second.

Tracks are not very rider proof, think my rider was killed quite a few times by the guardrail, but that's nitpicking.
The massive highsider looked awesome though. :mischievous:

Played the demo about an hour or so and it's looking as a reasonably solid game and I had fun playing it, which is most important.
But still miles away from the TT experience of course.

Have to give the pc demo a go later on.

Will post some screenshots later.

Last edited:
VXR
Getting worried now for the Xbox version. Date a week later than the PS/PC versions
and apparently no demo
Indeed. In the absence of an X1 demo, I downloaded the PC demo for a try. Oh dear. My PC
is mediocre at best and I reckon I got between 10-15 fps :lol:

So I can't comment on the game, sadly

Wow, that's a really great price for PC guys.

Loving these screens so far. So does photomode work in the demo?

VXR
Wow, that's a really great price for PC guys.

Loving these screens so far. So does photomode work in the demo?

Yes, you can drop into a "Free Camera" mode (if I've remember the name correctly), its not what I would call a Photomode though, as there is no real Camera/photo controls, like focal range, aperture, shutter speed etc.

Much like DriveClub there is also no actual "Capture" button, as with the PS4 at least, you would use the screen capture feature to take the photo.

Also there is the replay option in the demo, which has some good controls, so you can run at slow speed, or move frame by frame etc. so you can get the right shot. Very pleased with this feature.

Ah that's well timed then with the Xbox just getting its screenshot feature. PNG files with no JPEG compression, to boot.

Gave the PC demo a go also, but sometimes it got a bit laggy.
Maybe I put the settings a bit to high or the demo was not properly optimized.
Anyhow here are some PC screenshots:

hLBkl9g.jpg

oUjgpQA.jpg

OfykNO4.jpg

4yDlrTP.jpg

KKMUGjB.jpg

Also created a gif but it's quite large(25mb)
So I'll put a link here

Nice photos and nice gif 👍

I played for about 2 hours today and got used to the steering pretty well. I remember having more trouble with their previously bike game I played, WSBK 08. It feels a bit slow sometimes with steering, just a little bit faster would be nice. Overall bike feel feels good too. The available modifications are okay, I assume there are much more in the full version.

But I'm really not satisfied with the amount of tracks and it's keeping me from pre-ordering it..

Here is a very short clip of me successfully backing in for the first time in Ride... small things, big satisfaction!

Enjoy

Edit: should also point out, this is all footage from the in game replay mode (post race), running in slow motion available in game.
You can also see a little bit more of bike and rider movement!

When does demo, come out for PS3?

You would like to think they could have released the demo across all formats at the same time! However they have only mentioned the PS4 and PC version available as of now, and the Xbone to come later!

I've posted the question up on there FB page, but will consider myself very lucky if I get a reply!

If I found anything out, i'll post on here 👍

The demo has grown on me and I'm enjoying it, although there are a couple of minor annoyances, among other things the slumberous loading times.

Overall, the UI and presentation is great. It's pretty much copy and paste from Forza, but it works well. Graphics on the other hand, is a mixture of highs and lows - bike details are very nice whereas the environments can at times look dated. Bike tuning and customization (finally!), while I believe it could've been more extensive - more control over the livery options for instance - is much welcomed as well.

Regarding the physics, well, briefly - this is no Tourist Trophy but I think that this is Milestone's best effort yet. While TT is nowhere near perfect either, the bikes at least have a sense of weight (something that I feel RIDE lacks and it's biggest weakness lies herein) and your rider's form and actions while riding does truly matter. The latter is partially true for RIDE too, but it's just simply not as engaging, fun or good in my opinion. With that said, I think this is a major step up from Moto GP 13/14. The twitchiness is gone, the steering is very smooth and precise and the tyre model seems to have undergone some much needed changes as well. I'm crossing my fingers that they keep improving on what they have now for Moto GP 15.

As it stands now, I'm looking at a day one purchase. We certainly need more games such as RIDE.

I also feel the brakes are a bit vague and the steering is a tad too slow for my liking, but it's better than I've experienced in the MotoGP games.
Agreed. I find it a tad too sensitive and hard to judge where the limit is before the front wheel locks up.

Edit : Found a controller layout that makes braking a bit easier and more alike what I'm used in TT. Thank you, muscle memory.

Last edited:
Just spent about 1.5 hour on the ps4 demo and I quite like it. You need to give it a bit of time to get used to the steering physics, but once you've got those in your fingers it's a blast and very satisfying to nail some high speed corners. The high level of customization in both physics, assists and AI difficulty will cater everyone from absolute beginner to Moto GP or SBK game veterans. As far as bike customization goes, this is looking nice as well. Although it's unclear if in the full game even more parts will be available.

Graphically it does look a bit like a 1080p ps3 game, but it looks better than anything Milestone have ever produced. The low fps in the mirrors and windshield reflections are the most annoying thing, which you'll only notice in first person perspective. The crashes look like from a 15 year old game, but it doesn't really bother me. Sounds are not great, but not completely offputting either.

I'm still on the fence whether this will be a day one purchase. Even though it's fun, I find the limited number of tracks, combined with day1 paid DLC (+ probably more paid DLC to follow) not really appealing to fork out the full €60 for...

Even though it's fun, I find the limited number of tracks, combined with day1 paid DLC (+ probably more paid DLC to follow) not really appealing to fork out the full €60 for...
Milestone's games have a tendency to drop in price fairly quickly or so I have noticed, in case you're insisting on waiting.

Few more pictures from today ;

FleCjWq.png

2Wk0CD0.png

mBy50n5.png

Love the older bikes, especially the Honda's and twin round head lights ;)

I've spent another hour approx tonight, and it is growing more on me too. I have kinda forgotten / got used to my earlier complaints, although I have a new one, in that I cannot map R1 button... :mad:

found its better to be gentle with brakes, and use them less otherwise it upsets the bike too much. Got another satisfying win over AI ;)

As for DLC, I'm pretty sure they are offering a season pass (as they all do these day!)

I'm thinking I may wait a week or two before I buy!

Back