Seasonal Events - Bonus Race 1

• Thread starter Eric W
  • 371 comments
i've done the GT-R one thanks to a few tuning tips from other threads, think i got second or third on the fiat 500 tsukuba one and as for teh forest mazda, i hate that track as it is so i aint doing too great with that one :)

Now I'm totally stuck on the Challenger one (I skipped the CR-Z and RX7 for now), best I can get is third, the car just understeers like hell and I can't get it to turn in very well even with the suspension lowered and camber added.
Tap the brake in the corner to push the rear end out and turn the car, then be gentle putting the power down out of the corner since your tires will be hot. I spent a few tries spinning the car and restarting before figuring this out, I was trying to break the rear end loose with the gas pedal. This is with all driving aids off except ABS =1.

I'm done trying the Tsukuba race. It makes me wish I never bought an Obutto and G27. I must have done this race 50 times, can't catch that freaking leader. I eventually got furious and tried cutting the grass on the last hairpin to slam into him but it hasn't been working. I'm so sick of this.

hahahah yeah, spot on. Oil change as with every car, habit. Thanks for pointing it out. Ill race it till it drops! thanks dude

Mine had 68hp from the dealer, and it still let me race. Weird... unless it was 63hp... I was enjoying some drinks while driving :sly:

For the challenger race, I used a car that I had already moded with a fully customizable gearbox. I just set the top speed around 270 kph and then it was quite easy.

I'm done trying the Tsukuba race. It makes me wish I never bought an Obutto and G27. I must have done this race 50 times, can't catch that freaking leader. I eventually got furious and tried cutting the grass on the last hairpin to slam into him but it hasn't been working. I'm so sick of this.
Keep trying dude! It took me an hour to beat this, mostly cause of my driving line. I was taking the 2nd hairpin on the green inside the rumble strips to cut the corner, it is actually slower than following the driving line wide to enter and coming out faster.

This crude drawing shows various ways to enter a hairpin, I found the blue line to be the fastest. I was trying the yellow line yet losing too much speed out of the corners.

Hairpin_lines.gif

If you hit both hairpins correctly on the first lap you should be right behind the 8th place car going into the last corner, pass on the inside and you can pass the 7th and 6th place cars by the first corner of the 2nd lap. Practice that, keep restarting till you can pull a high 1:20 first lap.

I am in 8th place right before the end of the 1st lap. Still end up in 2nd, so I tried the RX-7 and Skyline races and also got 2nd place... I just struggle with 1st for some reason, other people make it seem so easy, it's really not.

the Challenger race is impossible. I'm starting to accept that I suck royally and always have ever since GT1. I set the top speed for somewhere in the 140's, increased rear brake bias by 1, ride height max low in the rear and -5 front, 1.5 camber rear, 1 camber front. Still sucks to drive. I hate muscle cars. Such boats.

The key to the Challenger is setting your gearing way higher (Around 200 mph) and feathering the car around the turns. It turns like a boat, so braking in straight lines is essential to get the most of this beast.

It's a very fun car to throw around though.

I am in 8th place right before the end of the 1st lap. Still end up in 2nd, so I tried the RX-7 and Skyline races and also got 2nd place... I just struggle with 1st for some reason, other people make it seem so easy, it's really not.
You should beable to get 8th place before the last corner of the first lap, which will help you keep the inside line in the last corner and more speed to pass 6th by the first corner of the second lap.

Essentially you're a second slow on the first lap, probably high 1:21. I was too for the longest time until I figured out the lines for the first 2 corners.

well if I get 1st on the Fiat race now, it's only 60k credits and barely any XP, so I don't think I'm going to give myself an unnecessary headache trying to conquer it. Washing my hands of it and moving on.

Still sucks to drive. I hate muscle cars. Such boats.
You need to drive one in real life to appreciate it :) My older brother had a '70 GTO "The Judge" and it was a beast to drive. Brake in a straight line, hammer the gas to break the rear loose and turn it around, then power down out of the corner.

I suspect you're braking too late into the corners, which works for many cars, yet not for the heavy beasts. You need to brake first, then turn hard, like the diagram I posted.

the Challenger race is impossible. I'm starting to accept that I suck royally and always have ever since GT1. I set the top speed for somewhere in the 140's, increased rear brake bias by 1, ride height max low in the rear and -5 front, 1.5 camber rear, 1 camber front. Still sucks to drive. I hate muscle cars. Such boats.
I set my top speed to 162 mph. You can make up a ton of time on the straight, especially when you draft another opponent. I can't help with the suspension settings since I ran fixed height, but you can also add a racing flywheel and clutch to give you a little edge as well. What sort of aids are you using? I run with my usual ABS 1 and everything else off and even though the car feels heavy (as it should) it is actually quite controllable. Even though I was accelerating hard out of corners and spinning one wheel like crazy the car wasn't sliding all over the place.

I wouldn't consider myself an amazing driver in the game but it only took me three tries to get it. Once you get a feel for the track and the car and what it's capable of you won't even notice how heavy it feels anymore.

Hi Brit999,

Sure, Ok. It's very simple. With it plugged in and ready to go, hit the following buttons at the same time...

Select button, R3, and pull right paddle shifter. That swaps between the steering modes.

Hope that helps!Now to finish 1st in the Honda, Mazda, and Challenger races. :D

Hi Hawker, how do you know if this was sucessful? does something come up on the screen to tell you or is it guess work?! I have a DFGT and press it in race and it just changes view! Please can you lend some more expertise?

2 green lights on the wheel = 360 deg mode
1 green light (left one I think) = 200 deg mode

Plus you hear a loud click sound when it changes - something inside is moving in or out of the way, blocking or releasing, to do what mode you want.

ALSO - Challenger Race - buy and install the Racing Air Filter!!
This adds a few more horsepower and keeps you within limits - but just that, do not install the manifold. Buy the FC Tranny and set speed to 155. That air filter makes the Challenger so much quicker by allowing the engine to suck in more air - and it's VERY noticeable!!

well if I get 1st on the Fiat race now, it's only 60k credits and barely any XP, so I don't think I'm going to give myself an unnecessary headache trying to conquer it. Washing my hands of it and moving on.

I didn't know until now when I got 1st place -_-

Plus you hear a loud click sound when it changes - something inside is moving in or out of the way, blocking or releasing, to do what mode you want.

ALSO - Challenger Race - buy and install the Racing Air Filter!!
This adds a few more horsepower and keeps you within limits - but just that, do not install the manifold. Buy the FC Tranny and set speed to 155. That air filter makes the Challenger so much quicker by allowing the engine to suck in more air - and it's VERY noticeable!!

Won't that give it too much power since its max at 425 HP and the car stock has 425 hp?

I bought a plum crazy (purple) brand new from the dealer and it was 425HP. I drove it for a few races and the HP dropped to 419HP (at least that's what it said when I was looking at it in my garage). So then I was able to add the racing air filter - back up to 425HP with a huge improvement in power!!

Last edited:
Once i found out how to drive the challenger it became rather easy.

I golded even I made one big mistake when I rammed into a leading car on the straight wich killed my speed a lot on that lap. Anyhow once I learned to drive that boat, it was not hard at all.

Why more camber in the rear ?

Why "max low" at the rear ?

Does´nt make any sense.

--

Camber front is usually set to 0.8 to 1.5 and 0.5 to 1.0 rear for most cars.

A car should not be lower at the rear! (don´t lower too much it in might bottom out the suspension)

Is the car is tail happy ? lower the springrate at the rear (set it lower than the front)

Difficult to turn the car in to the corners ? lower the toe-in settings at the front. I usually set it at -0.10 to -0.20. (could become tail happy too)

And best of all, read the instructions (yellow button)....and use the R2 and L2 for throttle control / brakes.

I bought a plum crazy (purple) brand new from the dealer and it was 425HP. I drove it for a few races and the HP dropped to 419HP (at least that's what it said when I was looking at it in my garage). So then I was able to add the racing air filter - back up to 425HP with a huge improvement in power!!

It was advertised as 425 in the dealer, but you get it brand new; in GT3, GT4 (?) and now also GT5, new cars need a breaking in period to get to their maximum power. That's what happened ;) After 250-300 miles it'll be up to spec.

!!

But there are no lights on the DFGT?

Are there?! Maybe you are thinking G25?

yay won the fiat race by 0,009 seconds XD
the rx7 and the challenger where easy, was leading both in the 4th lap

gtr was difficult until i found something extra on the last lap in one attempt if i had known that i would have won easily. choosing the right braking point for the 1st corner is very very very important.

now gonna do the honda thing gotta improve from silver to gold

I didn't know that. Thanks! :)

It was advertised as 425 in the dealer, but you get it brand new; in GT3, GT4 (?) and now also GT5, new cars need a breaking in period to get to their maximum power. That's what happened ;) After 250-300 miles it'll be up to spec.

Back