The 2017 Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

Anywhere else would have been fine. COTA sucks. I hope it loses the US Gran Prix status in the future.
Whoa whoa whoa COTA is one of the best circuits on the calendar. It looks great, it has a flow to it so it's fun to race in the sims and most importantly it actually produces good races.
Indianapolis has a Grade 1 certificate. But in the US, surely a street circuit can be built up to scratch easily (well, unless it's in New Jersey)

The problem of the US is it's size. There is either infrastructure needed to accommodate tourists or low enough cost of hosting the grand prix, hardly both. Also amongst the issues are the need for complete repavement - pavement in the US sucks, and the city planning that is often a simple grid.

the city planning that is often a simple grid
Hey, compare that to a city like Sydney, which is unplanned - in the early days of the colony, it just grew as needed into wherever was convenient. A hundred and fifty years later, the city is dealing with congestion problems and the infrastructure projects designed to offer relief cause massive delays.

Anywhere else would have been fine. COTA sucks. I hope it loses the US Gran Prix status in the future.

Don't think you get the concept of Grade 1 track. That is the FIA mandate for Formula 1 cars to race at. The expense needed and lack of people in the U.S. willing to sponsor such an expense is why COTA will probably be used for a long time coming.

Indianapolis has a Grade 1 certificate. But in the US, surely a street circuit can be built up to scratch easily (well, unless it's in New Jersey)

I wouldn't mind Indy again. So what if 2005 happened blame a certain tire manufacture that no longer exists in F1 not the series. If up to me I'd want to see Watkins Glen. As for street circuits, while easy to set up...if you think the likes of Baku and Sochi are bad, you haven't see anything yet. You should see the proposed Kentucky Nashville GP street circuit for Indycar.

Last edited:
You should see the proposed Kentucky GP street circuit for Indycar.

Do you mean Nashville? I'm not aware of any Kentucky proposals outside of a return to the oval.

3bfee3d2fc679015503ea04a8f215f38a26dc838271a262a5a3d80817f2e343c.png

Hey, compare that to a city like Sydney, which is unplanned - in the early days of the colony, it just grew as needed into wherever was convenient. A hundred and fifty years later, the city is dealing with congestion problems and the infrastructure projects designed to offer relief cause massive delays.
Great for Formula 1 and long romantic walks though ;)

Wait, why would Copenhagen, a city that's generally seen as one of the greenest on the planet, want a sport that, outside of small number of fans, is mainly known for spending massive amounts of money on running expensive cars around in oil dictatorships. That almost sounds counter productive if you ask me.

That said having a GP there could also help with the mentioned issue so I can't say I'm immediately opposed to it.

Wait, why would Copenhagen, a city that's generally seen as one of the greenest on the planet, want a sport that, outside of small number of fans, is mainly known for spending massive amounts of money on running expensive cars around in oil dictatorships.
I imagine that the appeal would lie in the development of hybrid technology. Affordable and cost-effective fully-electric vehicles are probably a long way off, but because Formula 1 is a competitive environment, they will develop hybrid technology faster than if it's left to car manufacturers.

I'm not sure how far off those electric vehicles are. Given the rate of progress we've seen in the past few years (from the G-Wiz to the Tesla) I can see electric cars becoming a very big thing over the next 10 to 20 years. Whether or not F1's involvement with hybrid tech will hasten that process I'm not sure, but I think more than anything else it helps relieve people's minds of visions of the G-Wiz and 1st gen Prius.

Next Thursday, Silverstone will decide whether or not they intend to pull the plug after 2019 and leave the British GP looking for a new home.

This is going to be an interesting decision; if Liberty Media lets them go they're losing one of Formula 1's oldest and most well-known tracks, possibly without having a replacement ready. But if they agree to give Silverstone a better arrangement, it's a given that every other track on the schedule that got stuck under one of Bernie's infamously unfavorable deals is going to demand a contract revamping as well and cause even more dilemmas.

With the amount of track changes Silverstone has seen, I wouldn't be surprised if they change the layout again to help revitalize the circuit. Maybe make it faster to accommodate the new generation of F1 cars

With the amount of track changes Silverstone has seen, I wouldn't be surprised if they change the layout again to help revitalize the circuit. Maybe make it faster to accommodate the new generation of F1 cars
I don't really see them spending even more to reconfigure the track for something that's been a money loser for several years due to a one-sided contract.

I don't really see them spending even more to reconfigure the track for something that's been a money loser for several years due to a one-sided contract.

For several years? This article suggests that 2016 lost money but 2015 didn't. It's the most attended of F1 races, the problem is that it's the only race* that doesn't get a government subsidy to operate.

Maybe make it faster to accommodate the new generation of F1 cars

Given how slow some of the corners are but that Rosberg's average fastest lap speed last year was 138mph I'd suggest that it's pretty much there already.

*EDIT: Thanks @Jimlaad43 for clarifying that for me :)

Last edited:
For several years? This article suggests that 2016 lost money but 2015 didn't. It's the most attended of F1 races, the problem is that it's the only race* that doesn't get a government subsidy to operate.
Odd, I had been under the impression that they had been in the negative for some time... at least that's what some news outlets had made it sound like as of late. :ill:

Regardless, given that the current contract keeps raising the price of hosting the event every year (the article I linked earlier says 17 million pounds this year, increasing to 26 million by 2026) , it wouldn't surprise me if they triggered the break clause with the expectation that Liberty will come to them with a revised contract in the near future. I'm not sure if it needs to come to that for them to be able to redo the contract details or not, but I guess we'll know in a week's time.

Silverstone have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon to make a "significant" announcement.

Hopefully the events that will follow won't lead to the end of the British GP. Clearly the current deal is unsustainable but it remains to be seen whether or not Liberty step in with a better (fairer?) offer for the track owners to consider.

Silverstone have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon to make a "significant" announcement.
Probably that they will host Rally GB and the Isle of Man TT from 2018. After all, they nicked the World Rallycross round from Lydden Hill and MotoGP from Donington Park ...

Hopefully the events that will follow won't lead to the end of the British GP. Clearly the current deal is unsustainable but it remains to be seen whether or not Liberty step in with a better (fairer?) offer for the track owners to consider.
Chase Carey has said that they want to do everything possible to ensure the more historic races stay on the schedule. I'm guessing the current contract leaves no provisions for re-negotiation (as would be standard with a Bernie deal), so they have to activate the break clause and draft up an entirely fresh one. Regardless, they still have two years to suss out all the details so I wouldn't say it's time for hysterics just yet.

Back