Toyota 'GR Supra Racing Concept' is coming to GT Sport

Man toyota really likes the 86 design don't they :boggled:

Don't hate me but i see nothing special with this car it just looks like a 86 but with the name supra

So the news article says in an April update. Good to know we are getting one quite soon after the 'regular up to March' updates are complete! It'll potentially only include this car?? Who Knows!!

Anyway about the car:

The article says "The 'GR Supra Racing Concept' is a concept model based on the Toyota Supra sports car produced up to 2002, brought back after 16 years as a race car. It was developed by Toyota Gazoo Racing, the division of Toyota that handles their motorsports activities and the 'GR' sports car series."

Does this mean there isn't going to be a road version?? I know that concepts can sometimes evolve into actual production cars but it sounds to me from this that its a one off race car model! And...

From what I understand, the FT-1 isn't guaranteed to go into production (at this moment in time) and isn't guaranteed (if it does) to carry the supra name. So is this just a marketing thing where Toyota are using a well known iconic sportscar name from there past to release a new model??

If anyone has any links to the contrary please feel free to share!

The Hyundai Genesis Gr3 also does not exist irl and therefore doesn't have performance specs.

If you're referring to the 2019 Supra, won't it be released in real life in March? This car comes out in April
My take is that Toyota likes to keep the Supra's specs secret, so I suspect PD will give it the --- treatment on both weight and power, so that we "won't" know the actual specs
And because the power and weight are ---, I don't see it going to Gr. 3 anytime soon (I'd like to see the BoP text box on that though :lol:)

The Hyundai Genesis Gr3 also does not exist irl and therefore doesn't have performance specs.

If you're referring to the 2019 Supra, won't it be released in real life in March? This car comes out in April

The Genesis was made to conform to the pseudo GT3/Gr.3 class. The Supra is just a Supra that happens to be a racing concept. It doesn’t fit anywhere

It looks like Toyota took FT-1 and asked "how can we make it looks much worse?"

Good to know we are getting one quite soon after the 'regular up to March' updates are complete!
Most likely it's just gonna be early April update instead of late March.

It looks like Toyota took FT-1 and asked "how can we make it looks much worse?"

Most likely it's just gonna be early April update instead of late March.
Shhhhhhh you can't say things like that on here! If we don't get the remaining cars by end of March as promised the universe might implode! Haha.

In all seriousness though i think they will keep the remaining of the 50 cars update for March and throw this car in mid April. That's why I suspect (could be really wrong though) that the April update may only contain this car

I was so excited to hear that Toyota was bringing back the Supra.. and it turns out they just put the Supra nameplate on the FT-1 :( bummer.

I was so excited to hear that Toyota was bringing back the Supra.. and it turns out they just put the Supra nameplate on the FT-1 :( bummer.

Well... How else would Toyota bring back the Supra name? Would you rather have it on a mid-size crossover?

Wait until you hear what BMW is doing with it.

Maybe he thought it was going to be the RZ like we got recently in GT Sport??

The production model is going to end up being very similar to the RZ, stats wise. There is going to be a variant with a twin-turbo straight six with somewhere in the region of 320-400 horsepower, much like the top-spec Mark IV Supra.

Well... How else would Toyota bring back the Supra name? Would you rather have it on a mid-size crossover?

No no, I'm just saying I've seen the FT-1 car for 4 years now in GT so when I went searching for pics of the new Supra I was like, oh wait I've already seen this :lol: no biggie. Can't wait to drive it!

The production model is going to end up being very similar to the RZ, stats wise. There is going to be a variant with a twin-turbo straight six with somewhere in the region of 320-400 horsepower, much like the top-spec Mark IV Supra.
Can you provide a link for this because i cant find any reputable articles for the new 'Supra'

Kinda was expecting to see a road car too...
We did say not to expect a road car:
Toyota
Chances are that the brand that’ll have the most eyes on it will be Toyota. It’s been teasing us for years about the possibility of a new Supra and in 2018 it looks like it will come true.

As far as we’re aware, Toyota will pull back the covers on a racing model only. The road car version, co-developed with the BMW Z4, might still be a few months away from public eyes, but we live in hope.
https://www.gtplanet.net/expect-2018-geneva-motor-show/

Can you provide a link for this because i cant find any reputable articles for the new 'Supra'

Source

This was from the Best Car leak. If I am being honest, the stats have not been confirmed but judging how accurate the renders are and the fact the Supra is being co-developed with BMW, the stats can't be that far off.

Glad to hear there will be more monthly updates after March. I don't think this implies there will not be a March update.

I wonder if it will be Gr3 or GrX?

Shhhhhhh you can't say things like that on here! If we don't get the remaining cars by end of March as promised the universe might implode! Haha.

In all seriousness though i think they will keep the remaining of the 50 cars update for March and throw this car in mid April. That's why I suspect (could be really wrong though) that the April update may only contain this car

Well, we were told there would be "around 50 cars released by end of March". We have 37 already. I predict there is another batch of 12 (same size as February batch) already planned for the March update and this was possibly delayed from March into April. That would get us up to 50 cars.

With this and the March update, we will reach the end of the publicised updates. I've thought since that original "50 cars" statement that they launched the game with a well planned 6 month roadmap and that seems to have come true. As long as they release the dozen cars in March, they will have met the announcement (except for this one car, the new Supra).

One wonders whether they are planning another "road map" for the remainder of the year. We had that post from @Tom cryptically referring to being busy later in the year, so I think there are plans already being set in place for the next 6 months.

Oh and I like the new Supra although its not particularly ground breaking to me, looks wise, after having seen the FT-1 before it. The road car should be a big hit though.

PS Whilst I remember, next weekend's Top Gear is in Japan and they showed the RX7 and Skyline at the end of the last show. :drool:

Back