2014 F1 season Finished, Who did the best this season?

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 48 comments

Who perfomed the Best in the 2014 F1 season?

• Lewis Hamilton

• Nico Rosberg

• Daniel Ricciardo

• Valtteri Bottas

• Sebastian Vettel

• Fernando Alonso

• Felipe Massa

• Jenson Button

• Nico Hulkenburg

• Sergio Perez

• Kevin Magnussen

• Kimi Raikkonen

• Jean-Eric Vergne

• Romain Grosjean

• Daniil Kyvat

• Pastor Maldonado

• Jules Bianchi

• Adrian Sutil

• Marcus Ericsson

• Esteban Gutierrez

• Max Chilton

• Kamui Kobayashi

Results are only viewable after voting.
Australia
Western Sydney
mustafur
Well?

Note: I didn't include Lotterer and Stevens as they only did 1 race which doesn't exactly count as a season.

Roo
Riccardo. Came in to Red Bull, thrashed his 4 time champ teammate, was the only guy to win in a non-Merc and pulled some fantastic overtakes.
It really is crazy how much a year can change things, last year quite a few people thought he was probably the best driver on the grid, and if someone where to beat him in the same equipment it would be an established star like Alonso or Hamilton.

A very close call between Ricciardo and Bottas, in the end I've decided for Bottas, very consistent performance throughout the season with 6 podiums. But like I said, Ricciardo was VERY good with RBR, beating Vettel on numurous occasions and also delivering very good performances in a (seemingly) underpower and "bad" car

Bianchi because he had the worst car yet managed to score points in monaco
#Forzajules

Once, in a convoluted race of attrition. That's not enough for driver of the year. The Caterham was far worse than the Marussia in any case.

A very close call between Ricciardo and Bottas, in the end I've decided for Bottas, very consistent performance throughout the season with 6 podiums. But like I said, Ricciardo was VERY good with RBR, beating Vettel on numurous occasions and also delivering very good performances in a (seemingly) underpower and "bad" car
Bottas certainly was a star for most of the season, the last few races he seemed to run out of steam though and Massa comfortably had him.

Either way I can see him being a major threat next year, you got to keep in mind this was only his second season.

For me it's got to be Daniel Ricciardo. Not only did he win three races in an otherwise Mercedes dominated season, he won them in style. On track he showed racecraft that made even the champion elite blush, and his strategic call in Hungary that won him the race, was nothing short of a masterstroke.

Yet despite displaying the hallmarks of a future world champion, and having being made aware of such; his head hadn't vanished up his backside by the end of the year. He's remained the cool, composed, down to earth guy, that he was at the beginning. If Red Bull build a car to rival Mercedes next year, he's the one I want to take the crown.

Bottas certainly was a star for most of the season, the last few races he seemed to run out of steam though and Massa comfortably had him.

Either way I can see him being a major threat next year, you got to keep in mind this was only his second season.

Yep, but I think it really comes down to Williams providing both with a very good car. The car in his first season was rubbish and this one was brilliant and really the only car, that could really keep up with Mercedes. I think that if Williams F1 is able to keep up the level of their cars, then it should be even more interesting next season.

I think it's fair to say, that some teams, who were mediocre at best (Ferrari, RBR, McLaren, etc.) will close the gap and Mercedes will not have as big of an advantage as they had this years season, it was the same with Brawn GP back in 2007 (?), where the competetion even started closing the gap mid - season.

Riccardo. Thrashed his 4 times world champion teammate and was the only driver to win in something not called Mercedes.

Yep, but I think it really comes down to Williams providing both with a very good car. The car in his first season was rubbish and this one was brilliant and really the only car, that could really keep up with Mercedes. I think that if Williams F1 is able to keep up the level of their cars, then it should be even more interesting next season.

I think it's fair to say, that some teams, who were mediocre at best (Ferrari, RBR, McLaren, etc.) will close the gap and Mercedes will not have as big of an advantage as they had this years season, it was the same with Brawn GP back in 2007 (?), where the competetion even started closing the gap mid - season.
It was 2009, to answer your question! :)

Ricciardo. Managed to win a race in a car that didn't have Mercedes engine and made his team mate who has been dominating the circuits for the last 4 years look slow. Second best is Bottas who has been very good driver for the whole season.

Hamilton. Every time he finished he was on the podium. 11 wins from 16 finished races. Never got passed while starting ahead of his teammate. Drove to the podium from the back of the field twice. Ricciardo and Bottas 2nd/3rd for me. Not to take anything away from his wins, but they came from a Mercedes or Rosberg screw up. Lewis overcame -30 point deficits twice this season to come back and retake the points lead. Bottas was great as well with him mostly showing up Massa. The amazing thing is we have a new breed of racers to challenge the established winners if their cars are up to it. '15 should be great, even if Mercedes are still dominant.

I chose Lewis because he is WDC and managed to come back from all the setbacks he had against a very fast driver like Nico Rosberg.

Next best I think was Daniel Ricciardo for making his 4 time WDC teammate look like a driver who would have been dropped if they had been teammates at Toro Rosso.

Third best season I would put Fernando Alonso as he also made his WDC teammate look like a very poor driver. Interesting that Ferrari have both drivers who were largely outperformed by their teammates, it will be interesting to see if they can finish top 5 in the constructors next year.

For me Lewis was best this season, it's a tough one to win a WDC and put up with mind games.

But Ricciardo has to have a mention, I've been seriously impressed with him and he's kicked Vettel's ass and justified my sceptism on Vettel's titles.

Last edited:
Who voted Maldonado? :lol: I went for Ricciardo but Hamilton, Rosberg, Bottas and Alonso are right up there, although Alonso finished down in 6th he still outscored Raikkonen 161-55.

I'm surprised Alonso hasn't got a vote, he destroyed his team mate more then any other driver.

However most will probably assume it is down mostly to Kimi's Lack of performance more then Alonso's skill for the massive gap which is probably right.

I'm surprised Alonso hasn't got a vote, he destroyed his team mate more then any other driver.

However most will probably assume it is down mostly to Kimi's Lack of performance more then Alonso's skill for the massive gap which is probably right.
I was thinking the same. We won't know just how good Alonso was until Vettel and Kimi pair up next season.

Hamilton. Every time he finished he was on the podium. 11 wins from 16 finished races. Never got passed while starting ahead of his teammate. Drove to the podium from the back of the field twice. Ricciardo and Bottas 2nd/3rd for me. Not to take anything away from his wins, but they came from a Mercedes or Rosberg screw up. Lewis overcame -30 point deficits twice this season to come back and retake the points lead. Bottas was great as well with him mostly showing up Massa. The amazing thing is we have a new breed of racers to challenge the established winners if their cars are up to it. '15 should be great, even if Mercedes are still dominant.

This 👍

Rosberg kept Hamilton honest throughout the entire season (though he did have one less DNF), which I don't think anyone expected. In equal machinery, to boot. Notable mention, but not quite DOTY.

Bottas showed that his 3rd place start in Canada last year wasn't a fluke, he does have some speed behind him when he has a car capable of it. Can't wait to see him next year when Mercedes might not be as dominant.

Alonso did his typical job of dragging a 9th or 10th-place car up to 4th or 5th all year. Curious to see how he does at McLaren, if that is in fact where he goes (but I can't see him going anywhere else).

Ricciardo. Where do I start? Managed a win in a Red Bull, handily outperformed his quadruple-WDC teammate, stayed in the WDC hunt until all but the last minute, all in his first year with a top-end team. RBR did well to elevate him, and he's going to be a damn good #1 next year. DOTY, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hamilton was fantastic all season, could have potentially won all the races if it wasn't for accidents or things similar.
Ricciardo also deserves praise as he did a great job. He is one of the drivers that adapted to the new rules best and the Red Bull showed his natural speed.
Bottas was great.
Massa could've been great if it wasn't for a few factors

Bottas showed that the pole in Canada last year wasn't a fluke, he does have some speed behind him when he has a car capable of it. Can't wait to see him next year when Mercedes might not be as dominant.
Bottas was 3rd in Canada last year behind Vettel and Hamilton but yeah he has proven his speed against Massa who had a decent qualifying record against Alonso.

Bottas was 3rd in Canada last year behind Vettel and Hamilton but yeah he has proven his speed against Massa who had a decent qualifying record against Alonso.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Thanks, I had just woken up when I posted that.

With the job he did, with the equipment he had, and soundly out-racing his 4 time world champion teammate, it has to be Ricky Ardo.

Im not sure how much the illegal front wing gained RB, that brings up some questions on RB's real pace. But imo Williams was the surprise of the season. Without some misfortune from Massa early in the year, they could've been 2nd in the wcc.

Im not sure how much the illegal front wing gained RB, that brings up some questions on RB's real pace. But imo Williams was the surprise of the season. Without some misfortune from Massa early in the year, they could've been 2nd in the wcc.
It was only in Abu Dhabi that there wing wasn't legal. For the rest of the year there was nothing wrong with it.

Back