2016/17 Europa League

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 187 comments
Just found out, wow would have expected them to beat Beer Sheva at home, I'm genuinely surprised!

I wonder what the odds were for Group K.

Southampton and Inter out. Interesting result.

Last 32 draw.

Athletic Bilbao v APOEL
Legia Warsaw v Ajax
Anderlecht v Zenit
Astra v Genk
Man United v St-Etienne
Villarreal v Roma
Ludogorets v Copenhagen
Celta Vigo v Shakhtar Donetsk
Olympiakos v Osmanlispor
Gent v Tottenham
Rostov v Sparta Prague
Krasnodar v Fenerbahce
Moenchengladbach v Fiorentina
AZ Alkmaar v Lyon
H.Beer-Sheva v Besiktas
PAOK v Schalke

Some interesting ties there

Last 32 draw.

Athletic Bilbao v APOEL
Legia Warsaw v Ajax
Anderlecht v Zenit
Astra v Genk
Man United v St-Etienne
Villarreal v Roma
Ludogorets v Copenhagen
Celta Vigo v Shakhtar Donetsk
Olympiakos v Osmanlispor
Gent v Tottenham
Rostov v Sparta Prague
Krasnodar v Fenerbahce
Moenchengladbach v Fiorentina
H.Beer-Sheva v Besiktas
PAOK v Schalke

Some interesting ties there

That's the last 30 draw.

AZ Alkmaar v Olympique Lyon is also pulled out of the bowl.

Ajax manager Bosz said that Ajax could've drawn worse.

This is coincidentally the last round that Ajax will play. They still think that they're Champions League material in Amsterdam. Always overestimating their own strength.

I still think they should beat L.Warsaw though so long as they don't just give up because they are not in the CL anymore.

I hate it when teams Half Arse Europa, it still pays well and is more presigious then any domestic cup, the fans always get shafted when they don't relise they travel to the otherside of Europe only to relise their team basically wanted to lose.

Like United's draw, could have been a lot worse as we were unseeded after finishing second in our group, Villarreal v Roma sounds good...

I still think they should beat L.Warsaw though so long as they don't just give up because they are not in the CL anymore.

I hate it when teams Half Arse Europa, it still pays well and is more presigious then any domestic cup, the fans always get shafted when they don't relise they travel to the otherside of Europe only to relise their team basically wanted to lose.

The Dutch teams should by now know that the Europa League is their league. PSV, our only CL contender this year got kicked out with only 2 points.

The Dutch teams should by now know that the Europa League is their league. PSV, our only CL contender this year got kicked out with only 2 points.
Basically if your not in a top 5 league your only in CL for the money, the results are damn near impossible to get anywhere Round of 16 if you play it to perfection generally.

Basically if your not in a top 5 league your only in CL for the money, the results are damn near impossible to get anywhere Round of 16 if you play it to perfection generally.

And with the brilliant new setup it truly will be a big club only fest.

So much this.

I was embarrassed when Celtic only sold out the bottom tier a few years back in the Europa (not the last time since that was a sell out) because fans got it in their head it's CL or bust.

I quite like the Europa too and it's a tournament that probably provides more surprises than the CL. Thursday night football isn't ideal but UEFA can't really remedy it. They won't move CL football to one night due to TV money etc

Really good win for MUFC earlier beating St Etienne 3-0 with a Zlatan hat-trick, just need to finish the job at their place now, shame Spurs lost...

Yeah great win, bit lucky with some decisions, these continental refs don't know that you have to favour the smaller team, but I think we we're comfortable and St Etiene never looked like they would win. We'll probably rest a few players in the away leg.

For some reason the second leg between St-Etienne and Man United is a 5pm KO tomorrow and not on Thursday night.

For some reason the second leg between St-Etienne and Man United is a 5pm KO tomorrow and not on Thursday night.
3 Games tomorrow, only just noticed as I read this post.

St-Etienne Vs Manchester United
Fenerbahce Vs FC Krasnodar
Schalke 04 Vs PAOK Thessaloniki FC

Not sure as to why they're all 17:00GMT Wednesday kick offs. Thought Uefa were 100% against Champions League and Europa League football on the same day.

I thought that United might've asked UEFA to move the second leg so they'll then have extra time to prepare for the cup final on Sunday, but now i know there are two other games on at an earlier time that most likely isn't the case.

I thought that United might've asked UEFA to move the second leg so they'll then have extra time to prepare for the cup final on Sunday, but now i know there are two other games on at an earlier time that most likely isn't the case.
Either way it does Man Utd a huge favour and it's a good job we put 3 past them last week.

Good win and another good performance, Mkhitaryan getting the only goal but unfortunetly went off injured with a hamstring problem soon after and is now a big doubt for Sunday's cup final, Bailly was sent off for two yellows as well but we still got the job done.

Spurs 2-2 Gent, Spurs are out after losing 2-3 on aggregate, had Dele Alli sent off too, their Wembley hoodoo continues, don't they play there permanently next season as their stadium is being built??

Elsewhere, Lyon slammed Alkmaar 7-1 and go through 11-2 on agg!, biggest surprise for me is APOEL bet Bilbao 4-3...

You'd think a professional football would know how big the ball is, seemed he was about 10 inches higher than it and unfortunately for the Gent player directly in line with the sore spot where the knee bends the wrong way. Hope the Gent player was ok.

Draw for round of 16:

v41p3p.jpg

Latest Posts

Back