2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
big-one.gif

I have a feeling this is a pretty good representation of what the whole season is going to be like.

Also, I'm wondering if some conspiracy-monger will be cracked enough to insist that NASCAR ordered a 1-2-3 finish for Gibbs, because every Daytona 500 in the last 20 years has apparently been rigged for someone's benefit depending on who you ask.

big-one.gif

I have a feeling this is a pretty good representation of what the whole season is going to be like.

Also, I'm wondering if some conspiracy-monger will be cracked enough to insist that NASCAR ordered a 1-2-3 finish for Gibbs, because every Daytona 500 in the last 20 years has apparently been rigged for someone's benefit depending on who you ask.
I would love to know how they arranged the third place for Jones. He came from 7th, with some damage, on the final restart. Busch basically just had to sacrifice and play sidedraft ping pong with Logano to keep him from getting a run at Hamlin.

Fun day at the track. Much better racing than yesterday.

We ended up leaving after the second big wreck at the end. Glad we did we probably would be still in line for a bus to the remote lot.

I think Nascar will be getting another strongly worded email from me about the start time for this race like the one I sent a few years ago. 3pm start time is ridiculous. Very long day, even without staying for the end of this demo derby.

I would love to know how they arranged the third place for Jones. He came from 7th, with some damage, on the final restart. Busch basically just had to sacrifice and play sidedraft ping pong with Logano to keep him from getting a run at Hamlin.
There are still people out there who believe NASCAR had Dale Sr's harness belts sabotaged and paid off Sterling Marlin to wreck him to keep him from beating Richard Petty's championship record. If someone wants to believe that the fix is in, they'll reach for the most dubious of evidence to support it.

Thankfully, they're easily identified as idiots so nobody but themselves actually believe it.

Fun day at the track. Much better racing than yesterday.

We ended up leaving after the second big wreck at the end. Glad we did we probably would be still in line for a bus to the remote lot.

I think Nascar will be getting another strongly worded email from me about the start time for this race like the one I sent a few years ago. 3pm start time is ridiculous. Very long day, even without staying for the end of this demo derby.
Ha! I went to the 2010 running. It started at 1pm, and didn't end until after 8pm. I got sunburned during the day, and FROZE after the sun went down. It was unseasonably cold that year, and I wasn't expecting a pothole to twice delay the race. I guess I should have expected a Florida sun to burn me, even if it wasn't overly warm that afternoon.

Ha! I went to the 2010 running. It started at 1pm, and didn't end until after 8pm. I got sunburned during the day, and FROZE after the sun went down. It was unseasonably cold that year, and I wasn't expecting a pothole to twice delay the race. I guess I should have expected a Florida sun to burn me, even if it wasn't overly warm that afternoon.

We were there for that one also. We've gone every year since 2000.

They are doing what they did a few years back with starting the race later and later to try and appeal to the California crowd, while screwing the fans that actually attend the race.

Well, the 3 guys I didn't want to win this race were all in the top 3, and stayed there when it counted. That's life, I guess...

The guy I didn’t want to win (or ever do well) was in the top 4 for most of the final part and finished 5th so I was right there cringing along at the end.

Daytona 500 pole qualifying is almost always rigged, but the race itself? Nah.

Last edited:
The conspiracy theorists this year will point to J.D. Gibbs' death and that Denny Hamlin won in a JGR 1-2-3 finish as "evidence". That's fuel to their fire.

The conspiracy theorists this year will point to J.D. Gibbs' death and that Denny Hamlin won in a JGR 1-2-3 finish as "evidence". That's fuel to their fire.
So NASCAR killed him to make a feel-good story? Somehow even if I am wearing 50 yards of tinfoil, I do not believe this organization is competent enough to orchestrate that.

So NASCAR killed him to make a feel-good story? Somehow even if I am wearing 50 yards of tinfoil, I do not believe this organization is competent enough to orchestrate that.
Obviously J.D. Gibbs passing away was a tragedy that has nothing to do with NASCAR itself.

The dumb thing is that some people will believe the race was rigged because of that reason. :dunce:

Not a Hamlin fan at all, but a decent feel-good story for the #11 and J.D.

The first 400 miles were great. Once things started heating up is when it all went downhill. I get that it has history to it and its the race everyone wants to win, but if they moved it to later in the season, people would make less boneheaded moves. Of course the timing can't really change since it's 'tradition,' but it would make the racing better.

My issue with the race is that all but three cars were trashed by the end. A good hour was spent under the red flag over two separate incidents.

The JGR cars were strong all day. If Truex wasn't a victim he would have been the 4th JGR car up front.

The race was flying along. I thought there was a very faint chance of it still being somewhat light out when the race ended. Then I remembered what happens EVERY year at the end of the 500. Guaranteed 1 or 2 big ones, at least 1 red flag, and at least 1 overtime. Check. Check. And check.

Somehow even if I am wearing 50 yards of tinfoil, I do not believe this organization is competent enough to orchestrate that.
Even if you are just arguing for NASCAR fixing the race win for Denny Hamlin, this quote applies more than any other.

If NASCAR was actively trying to fix it for Denny, they would somehow massively screw it up, leading somehow to a win for Cory LaJoie.

Even if you are just arguing for NASCAR fixing the race win for Denny Hamlin, this quote applies more than any other.

If NASCAR was actively trying to fix it for Denny, they would somehow massively screw it up, leading somehow to a win for Cory LaJoie.
Nah.... that's too easy. The fix would end up being a win for either Ryan Truex (who DNQ'ed) or Dave Marcis (he FINALLY won it, 1 for 35! Wait.... is he even still racing?)

Nah.... that's too easy. The fix would end up being a win for either Ryan Truex (who DNQ'ed) or Dave Marcis (he FINALLY won it, 1 for 35! Wait.... is he even still racing?)
When creating my hypothetical, I actually considered a few historical names, and Dave Marcus was one of them! He did win a race at... Talladega (?) a LONG time ago, so that DQ'ed him.

Morgan Shepherd is an easy punchline now, but was bad fast for a few years in the 21 car in the mid-90's.

I would have also accepted Jimmy Means, Cecil Gordon, Joe Ruttman, Wally Dallenbach, Ted Musgrave, Hut Stricklin, or Dick Trickle.

When creating my hypothetical, I actually considered a few historical names, and Dave Marcus was one of them! He did win a race at... Talladega (?) a LONG time ago, so that DQ'ed him.

Morgan Shepherd is an easy punchline now, but was bad fast for a few years in the 21 car in the mid-90's.

I would have also accepted Jimmy Means, Cecil Gordon, Joe Ruttman, Wally Dallenbach, Ted Musgrave, Hut Stricklin, or Dick Trickle.

Marcis had 5 wins, and was one of the top drivers in the sport in the mid-70’s when he drove the K&K #71 (before becoming an owner-driver). Shepherd had 4 Cup wins for 4 different teams over a 12 year span, 3 of which were at Atlanta. Both had the common thread of racing 20 years past their sell-by date.

If NASCAR rigged the races in the 70’s Marty Robbins should’ve gotten thrown a trophy at least. Or Janet Guthrie

Last edited:
Marcis had 5 wins, and was one of the top drivers in the sport in the mid-70’s when he drove the K&K #71 (before becoming an owner-driver). Shepherd had 4 Cup wins for 4 different teams over a 12 year span, 3 of which were at Atlanta. Both had the common thread of racing 20 years past their sell-by date.

If NASCAR rigged the races in the 70’s Marty Robbins should’ve gotten thrown a trophy at least. Or Janet Guthrie
I had forgotten the hot start Shepherd had for Bud Moore in the #15 Motorcraft car one year, though I still associate Geoff Bodine more with that car in my mind, even though he only drove it briefly before buying up AK Racing following Kulwicki's death.

You have to love Joey Logano, who is the defending series champion and a former Daytona 500 champion, throwing a hissy fit about McDowell not sacrificing himself ala Blaney in the Duels so that Logano can contend for a win.
It’s understandable though. McDowell should have been pushing for a ford to win. Logano would have pulled him up the order too. There should be an obligation to your manufacturer, then within that, your team, and then yourself

You have to love Joey Logano, who is the defending series champion and a former Daytona 500 champion, throwing a hissy fit about McDowell not sacrificing himself ala Blaney in the Duels so that Logano can contend for a win.
Funny thing that might be overlooked: McDowell is a former teammate to both Logano AND Hamlin. (He actually was never a teammate to Busch in Cup, as the only time he was a teammate to both Logano and Hamlin he was sitting in Busch's car (when Busch was suspended for the Hornaday wreck in 2011)).

McDowell saw the huge run Busch had over Logano on the backstretch, and made his own play for third, hoping he could pass both Toyotas if Busch managed to get beside Hamlin and they started side drafting (or worse).

It's the last lap, and McDowell isn't driving for The Captain. He did what he thought gave FRM the best chance to win the race. It didn't work out, but I think he was right in trying it.

He had to know that given the same chance, Logano wouldn't fall on his sword to push a FRM Ford to victory lane over a 5% chance to win it for himself.

I have seen mostly the Trucks and Cup run Daytona this past weekend. I thought the Daytona 500 was quite good. Perhaps B+ to me.

Well... bring on Atlanta! Yeah- going from the Sunshine State to the Peach State. Hotlanta.

Back