2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
The only thing I’ve heard about 2021 is that the only sacred cows are Daytona in mid February, Charlotte on Memorial Day weekend (and by proxy the ROVAL in the fall), and Darlington on Labor Day weekend. And that Phoenix is very likely to stay as the finale track. Otherwise everything is on the table, especially once the NASCAR-ISC merger is complete.

Personally I’m hoping for the return of the 400 mile Darlington race in the spring and a race at Road America

I see that Texas was so utterly ignored that nobody posted on it. The race was good in that we saw strategies have to play out over the final 2 stops (no real caution to save anyone). Penske lost all 3 cars due to issues.

Jimmie Johnson ran very well the entire race, falling off slightly near the end.

I see that Texas was so utterly ignored that nobody posted on it. The race was good in that we saw strategies have to play out over the final 2 stops (no real caution to save anyone). Penske lost all 3 cars due to issues.

Jimmie Johnson ran very well the entire race, falling off slightly near the end.

Race was the best with the new package so far, but clean air was still extremely important. And the tire compound sucked, they never wore or fell off.

The Truck race was the best of the season across the 3 series IMO. I didn’t watch Xfinity this week.

Wasn't able to watch the race until today, and I have to agree it was the best race with the new package.
Also, where the hell did Hendricks find the speed they did!? Super exciting to see Johnson and Byron running up front and finishing well! I hope this wasn't just a one off thing and that they continue to improve.

Also, where the hell did Hendricks find the speed they did!? Super exciting to see Johnson and Byron running up front and finishing well! I hope this wasn't just a one off thing and that they continue to improve.
Kyle Larson had a pretty interesting theory about it a few weeks ago. :sly:

Was lucky enough to have access to a luxury suite. That was the best part, the racing was better than last year but still ended up being a conveyor belt. Kyle was the only one who could consistently pass anyone without stalling beside them, Denny ran a smart race, Bowyer defied tradition with a strong race and made it interesting to the last stop. At least it wasn't a extended game of leap frog.

Nothing against Hamlin, but I really would have preferred if any of the 2nd-7th place finishers had won instead. Johnson aside, there are only a handful of wins between the bunch of them. Wasn't too bad of a race though.

Darrell Waltrip will be leaving the booth at the end of this season. My guess is Jamie Mac will be replacing him.

In away from the track news: Sterling Marlin is set to have deep brain stimulation surgery to treat his Parkinson's.

Darrell Waltrip will be leaving the booth at the end of this season. My guess is Jamie Mac will be replacing him.

In away from the track news: Sterling Marlin is set to have deep brain stimulation surgery to treat his Parkinson's.

Jamie would make sense unless they put Larry Mac back in the booth. They just need a placeholder until Harvick, Jimmie and Chad Knaus retire and join the team.

The whole NASCAR fandom lives in fear of the possibility of Michael Waltrip being put up there

Darrell Waltrip is to Fox NASCAR coverage what Terry Bradshaw is to Fox NFL coverage. Both are great multiple-time champions that are way past their cognitive prime, even in their current roles. They haven't played/raced recently enough to understand the modern game, and both clearly have memory loss and a tenuous relationship with scripts and teleprompters. They should both have retired 5 years ago and walked away with some dignity still intact. One could even make the argument that both were somewhat carried by Hall of Fame/legendary teams/coaches/crew chiefs/owners that made their success easier to come by.

Darrell Waltrip is to Fox NASCAR coverage what Terry Bradshaw is to Fox NFL coverage. Both are great multiple-time champions that are way past their cognitive prime, even in their current roles. They haven't played/raced recently enough to understand the modern game, and both clearly have memory loss and a tenuous relationship with scripts and teleprompters. They should both have retired 5 years ago and walked away with some dignity still intact. One could even make the argument that both were somewhat carried by Hall of Fame/legendary teams/coaches/crew chiefs/owners that made their success easier to come by.

I don’t know about Bradshaw since I don’t know anything about football but I wouldn’t go that far for Waltrip’s driving career. He was great in everything he drove at all types of tracks (at least until he got past his prime), he’s solidly in the top 15 drivers of all time at least.

he’s solidly in the top 15 drivers of all time at least.
I feel like tiers are kinda the best way to go about that

A
Earnhardt
Petty
Johnson

AB
Pearson
Gordon

B
Allison
Cale
Waltrip

C
Stewart
Lee Petty
Tim Flock

D
Thomas
Rusty
Elliott
Terry Labonte
Martin
Kenseth
Harvick
Kyle Busch
Ned Jarrett
Junior Johnson

Then you kinda have everybody else

Last edited:
Harvick has failed inspection 3 times today, so he will start from the back and receive a drive-through penalty.

I feel like tiers are kinda the best way to go about that

A
Earnhardt
Petty
Johnson

AB
Pearson
Gordon

B
Allison
Cale
Waltrip

C
Stewart
Lee Petty
Tim Flock

D
Thomas
Rusty
Elliott
Terry Labonte
Martin
Kenseth
Harvick
Kyle Busch
Ned Jarrett
Junior Johnson

Then you kinda have everybody else
Your tier is way off Kyle Busch should be way higher and you don't even have the most flamboyant driver that would be in your A+ range if he would have lived longer.
Tim Richmond

Last edited:
Stands are closed due to potentially bad weather.

It was always the plan, they announced it a while ago that they were only seating people on the straights. http://www.apexoff.com/2019/03/12/b...ill-not-be-selling-tickets-in-two-huge-areas/

I assume it’s because they wanted at least 2 sections to look completely full, but they didn’t even succeed at that. When I went to Bristol in 2012 I sat in the middle of turns 1 & 2, the corners definitely seem like the best place to sit so I feel like they shot themselves in the foot even more by limiting people.

Of course though, it also means they don’t have to employ staff to work those ends of the track

Last edited:
So explain Kyle Busch being he has won more NASCAR races than anyone else!
Were this a measure of all 3 tiers (which I'm pretty sure it isn't, because Martin would probably be higher then), he would be higher. Since this is a measure of Cup wins and accomplishments only, his 2nd and 3rd division stats are irrelevant. In addition, he only has one title, which matches everyone in the same tier as him (except Terry who has two and Martin with 0). If he wins the championship this year, he will move up.

Well, I'm not really a fan of either Busch, but it's kinda neat to see the brothers take the first two positions.

So explain Kyle Busch being he has won more NASCAR races than anyone else!
It's almost like beating on the Busch and Truck guys is not at all impressive no matter how much he does it.

Now starting a Cup year with 8 consecutive top 10's, or having 22 top 5's in the previous campaign, those would do the trick. Some could say it's due to the series losing a lot of its former field depth and regressing to a mid-to-late 90's style monotony, where a handful of drivers are consistently at the front with the rest fighting for scraps, but when his teammates didn't get anywhere close to that number in 2018, and still appear to lag behind except for Hamlin in 2019, it does look pretty good.

Back