2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments
I know this is first world problems, but this really sucks! Porsche is my second love to Corvette. I don't see how GTLM continues. If BMW pulls out, as I have been expecting since they left WEC, then it obviously won't continue as Corvette would be the only team left standing.

How would convergence even work? If you want to run at Le Mans (GTE) you would have to convert to GT3 to run in IMSA? I don't see that happening. What a bad time for a sucker punch like this. :(

Edit: Or are we talking about the rulesets being somehow combined, aka "GT3E" or what have you?

As the rules for GT3 will change in 2022, I was thinking that it should completely replace GTE, In this case, Corvette would have to modify their current GTE car to GT3...

One thing I will say is that t works well to have different BOP for AM and PRO in WEC, and this is something that can probably work for GT3 cars.

Anyway, I hope it happens. Can you imagine Bentley, Mercedes and Lamborghini at Le Mans, and Corvette at the 24 hours of Spa?

As the rules for GT3 will change in 2022, I was thinking that it should completely replace GTE, In this case, Corvette would have to modify their current GTE car to GT3...

One thing I will say is that t works well to have different BOP for AM and PRO in WEC, and this is something that can probably work for GT3 cars.

Anyway, I hope it happens. Can you imagine Bentley, Mercedes and Lamborghini at Le Mans, and Corvette at the 24 hours of Spa?

I would be totally down with that, but I have my doubts it will come to pass. It would be awesome to have such a wide ranging GT field at basically all endurance races like that!

I do have to wonder how long GTE/GTLM will be around for as it seems like none of the entries are really secure.

- Aston Martin is not in good financial shape.
- BMW's participation has seemingly been up in the air for some time.
- Ferrari seems to be taking a wait and see approach to sports cars as they're sticking with the 488 despite it being replaced with the F8 Tributo.
- Porsche just pulled out of IMSA, which seemingly puts the WEC program in question.
- Corvette is seemingly committed to IMSA, but with GM being hit hard by COVID-19 they may axe what they don't see as being benificial.

On a brighter note, I received an email today confirming fans will be allowed to attend Road America events. :cheers:

It's late stage GT1 all over again. Soon Corvette will be the last ones standing again. So then what will GM's response be? bail to WEC one year? bring in Callaway to help develop C8 GT3 carts in record time? Have P&M start retooling the C8.R for GT3?

I totally forgot Corvette used to basically be a solo GT1 entry in ALMS. That car (especially 2008) was just gorgeous. As it pertains to GM's future, think of it from a marketing perspective. If they develop a GT3 C8 Vette, that opens of the door for P&M to run a much larger group of races including Bathurst, Spa, Monza, etc. I imagine their priority may still be Lemans though, so unless the WEC also allows for GT3 in the near future, we could see a repeat of the days when Corvette was in a class of its own here in the states.

I totally forgot Corvette used to basically be a solo GT1 entry in ALMS. That car (especially 2008) was just gorgeous. As it pertains to GM's future, think of it from a marketing perspective. If they develop a GT3 C8 Vette, that opens of the door for P&M to run a much larger group of races including Bathurst, Spa, Monza, etc. I imagine their priority may still be Lemans though, so unless the WEC also allows for GT3 in the near future, we could see a repeat of the days when Corvette was in a class of its own here in the states.
I fear we may be in for this unless BMW bail. Although I'm sure GM will be monitoring the rules developments in both classes carefully

I think going forward with GT3, they simply need to consider following the route Ferrari and...Aston(?) have gone with a car that can be switched between the two readily (read: one work day I think?). Simply have GT3 and then GT3X....with X including a minor boost in aero, maybe tire width, a ECU flash for a bump in power, change in BOP limitations, maybe the addition of an aid or two, etc.

GTLM/GTE is too niche as it is - joining with GT3 manufacturers for evolution style cars for a more professional driver line-up (and bigger budgeted teams) seems like the best option.

Some of the smaller GT3 teams may consider going into something like GTE-AM at LeMans and bumping up to a GT3X package, etc. Likewise a GTE style team could sell off their car to a smaller GT3 team if they bail from the sport, recouping some cost, etc.

#76 McLaren GTD pole car has to serve a drive through penalty starting the race.
Also mixed track conditions, dry on the oval banking but wet in the infield. Strategy should be interesting. They said the only car running slicks is the #30 Audi GTD and it already spun out on the opening pace lap :scared:

Edit, they just reported both Corvette C8.R's on slicks.

Edit 2: reporting the Porsche RSR's are split strategy, one on wets (#911), the other on slicks (#912). The #911 already has a 20 second lead over the rest of the GTLM field.

Edit 3: looks like most cars running wets are pitting for slicks now

Edit 4: The #7 Acura has retired.

Last edited:
Sadly, it is reported Porsche pulling out of GTLM next year due to coronavirus and economic circumstances.

I know its a smaller grid but a surprisingly clean race so far considering the wet weather, not a single caution.

IMG_20200704_203246.jpg

IMG_20200704_235211.jpg

Last edited:
Back