2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments

Awesome. It's pretty cool it's the real life drivers and not just Esports teams. I watched the iRacing Sebring race last weekend with Esports drivers. In that they were still using the old Daytona Prototype Corvettes. Do they not have the newer DPi's and P2 cars?

Awesome. It's pretty cool it's the real life drivers and not just Esports teams. I watched the iRacing Sebring race last weekend with Esports drivers. In that they were still using the old Daytona Prototype Corvettes. Do they not have the newer DPi's and P2 cars?
To my knowledge they don’t have them yet. It’s either DP’s or LMP1 for top class sportscars.

I see most GTLM cars even the Ford GT, but no Corvette C7.R, do they not have that either?
I know nothing of iRacing myself, but the chatter on the twitch stream was that P&M won't give the devs the technical data for either the C7R or C8R so they can't happen unless they change their minds. Boo.

Apparently the Ford and Ferrari are older game models that aren't as competitive with the BMW and Porsche which is part of why they were mostly at the back. Trouble with simracing of course is that that can't ever get corrected unless they spend time updating the cars, or somebody actually comes up with a BoP setup to try to sort it out. So many multi-make sim races turn into de facto class races because of that.

Still had some pretty good racing along the way despite the top 3 domination.

I know nothing of iRacing myself, but the chatter on the twitch stream was that P&M won't give the devs the technical data for either the C7R or C8R so they can't happen unless they change their minds. Boo.

Apparently the Ford and Ferrari are older game models that aren't as competitive with the BMW and Porsche which is part of why they were mostly at the back. Trouble with simracing of course is that that can't ever get corrected unless they spend time updating the cars, or somebody actually comes up with a BoP setup to try to sort it out. So many multi-make sim races turn into de facto class races because of that.

Still had some pretty good racing along the way despite the top 3 domination.
Yeah I was wondering why so many Porsche and especially BMW's and lack of Ferrari and Ford. I dont know much about iRacing either but you would think with the costs that the cars would be updated, and also have current race cars (DPi's instead of the old DP's)

IMSA, John Doonan, and others involved deserve a lot of credit for their IMSA SuperSaturday deal on iRacing today. Holding that event keeps people at least excited about what would have been the 2020 12 Hours of Sebring today, had it not been moved to November. I know there are lots of people who either love or loathe eSports or this simulation style stuff. All I can say is... this at least is a welcome distraction from not having the real thing surface. Okay. So maybe this isn't real-life racing- and it isn't. However, at least something like this with actual talent and realistic action is a fine alternative that can be just as great as real-life action. I often watch iRacing events that interest me on Twitch and even YouTube. So I was rather tickled pink regarding this IMSA SuperSaturday package from Sebring. Just don't ruin things for the rest of us who actually like eSports style racing- even including us who love the FIA Gran Turismo events.

Having said that... this was a very cool experience.

It might be a busy fall this year depending on what mother nature (covid-19) has to say about it. We're planning on going to Watkins Glen for SRO World Challenge Sept 18 - 20 and IMSA Oct 2 - 4. IMSA again at Lime Rock Oct 30 - 31, with Trans Am at Lime Rock in between on Oct 16 - 17. I may even go to the Historic Festival (Labor Day weekend Sept 3 - 7) seeing that I have credit from the SRO WC event at Lime Rock that was cancelled. I also have a grand daughter due around Labor Day and our 32 year anniversary in late Oct. That's a big difference from being home for the last 2 months.

Glad to see real racing this weekend with NASCAR. I think I've seen enough eracing for a while.

New schedule released, IMSA will return to racing with normal-length events at Daytona and Sebring in July. Watkins Glen rescheduled for October.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/05/15/imsa-announces-updated-return-to-racing-plan/
I got nervous when I read normal length race for Sebring in July. But then I read the full 12 hours of Sebring is still running in November. Hopefully spectators are allowed by then, Ive already had my tickets before it got rescheduled.

I got nervous when I read normal length race for Sebring in July. But then I read the full 12 hours of Sebring is still running in November. Hopefully spectators are allowed by then, Ive already had my tickets before it got rescheduled.

Yeah I'm not doing anything for Road Atlanta until I know for sure about spectators. I've already cleared that Friday off from work but that's as far as I'm going until IMSA says something,

Having the Watkins Glen 6 Hours in October, for me at least, is something I'm very eagerly awaiting. It's happening on the same weekend the old US GP used to take place. Though I grew up just a few miles from the circuit, I wasn't born early enough to watch the US GP while it was still there (1961 - 1980). So being able to go up during that same weekend for the 6 hours will be the closest I ever get to knowing what it was like to attend that race during that week of the year.

It's definitely going to be a little chillier than normal, but depending on the weather prior, the fall foliage will be nearing its peak, and the race will end in a much more evening looking setting.

f4922d88-9f43-42d9-b55c-b762a88a7c79.jpg

Last edited:
Got to have my picture taken with Dan during the Grid Walk at Mid-Ohio last year, it was akin to meeting the head coach of my favorite sports team. Sad to see him go, but happy for him and hope he has an enjoyable and fulfilling retirement.

Big blow for IMSA. GTE as a whole needs complete reboot. I don't see how this class can survive long term in its current state, and that's without COVID' financial impacts happening now.

Porsche just announced they’re leaving the championship after this season,
Rip GTE.
That leaves us with 2 BMW’s and 2 Corvettes. And occasionally a Ferrari.

A privateer team running these Porsches? Very unlikely. Ferrari or Aston Martin with a two-car entry for a full season? Again, unlikely. On the top of that, we are unsure if RLL will continue with the M8s next year.

It makes me have a strong impression that this is the last season that we will see GTE cars in IMSA. Convergence with GT3 is probably what will happen next.

A privateer team running these Porsches? Very unlikely. Ferrari or Aston Martin with a two-car entry for a full season? Again, unlikely. On the top of that, we are unsure if RLL will continue with the M8s next year.

It makes me have a strong impression that this is the last season that we will see GTE cars in IMSA. Convergence with GT3 is probably what will happen next.

I know this is first world problems, but this really sucks! Porsche is my second love to Corvette. I don't see how GTLM continues. If BMW pulls out, as I have been expecting since they left WEC, then it obviously won't continue as Corvette would be the only team left standing.

How would convergence even work? If you want to run at Le Mans (GTE) you would have to convert to GT3 to run in IMSA? I don't see that happening. What a bad time for a sucker punch like this. :(

Edit: Or are we talking about the rulesets being somehow combined, aka "GT3E" or what have you?

Back