Aussie Tuners...Shiny new Garage, Shiny new Management

• Thread starter Renoff
  • 581 comments
A skyline ey? Yeah I'll give it a go, even though I usually drive every other Japanese car before I dive a skyline (except lancers and rotaries). Review will be on the way. Is that lsd comment about this skyline Leonidae, so I can see the differnece u talk about?

OK, I just drove dimplz's skyline and it's time for the review as promised.
First thing's first, I think you made a typo doing your gear ratios dimplz, you got 5th as 0.883 and I think it should be more 0.823, it makes more sense. How the car handles, I thought you'd never ask, it's not bad for a 900+hp car, really stirdy maybe too sturdy? i.e. it seems it's a bit understeery especially under brakes which is why I changed mine to 5/6 rather than 6/5 (front/rear). I didn't make time for any improvements other than that because it's an OK car really. It just seemed like a few settings (toe angle mainly) were meant to make it understeer more and I couldn't figure that out. I hope this provides helpful insight 👍

one of the reasons you are having issues with understeering during braking is the front camber, you have so much that the car is sliding well before it could ever apply enough force to use that much camber.
If i'm right you ought to notice that if you turn then brake vs brake then turn, you will see the car brake BETTER. this is because you have so little tire on the road while going straight, that you have more tire on the road while cornering. this is the same reason less rear camber will let a car accelerate faster out of the hole, more tire on the road. I use camber sparingly, it has alot of consequences vs using swaybars or shocks to tune a cars handling.

also, it's a skyline and it's main strength lies in a heavy throttle and a conservative style of corner entry, not in it's turning ability.

and yea what leo said is key, it's well documented that the stock differential and VCD are so good they put the "upgraded" peices to shame. Skyline's handle like nothing else in the game due to nissan's (or polyphony's?) masterful AWD systems.

I apologize for the double post earlier. Also the tips i'm passing on in here aren't to demean you in any way i'm just lending a hand to other gear heads, it's the way hot rodding should be. Have a Good day guys

Yeah people helping one another is how the world should be not without competition though, take the classic Ford v Holden rivalry- fierce as it is, both companies are in the same boat with the oil crisis and pansy weaklings buying "fuel economic cars". It makes me SICK. I don't think much of skylines though, too many metros and boganish hoons drive them in Oz, not that they don't do the same with Commodores and Falcons as well, but at least they have the enthusiast crowd on the the other side of the fence as well, skylines don't in Australia- they're hoon cars. I hate hoons, giving car enthusiasts a bad name. I wish we had more Oz cars to put in this thread, not enough in the game, but nonetheless lets get back to tuning, we don't have a Commodore yet, is anyone interested in a supercharged SS, we should make one.

Hey, how did that contest between dimplz and rotary junkie go, I'd like to know if AT took it home.

I thought now was a good time to make some apologies- first for this double post, second for my little rant there and third to any skyline drivers (you alright). Sorry.
While I'm here I thought I'd just give everyone a heads up that I'm changing the damper strength on the bounce side of the Monaro to 4/4 and I'm hoping to have a really quick Cadillac CIEN on here soon so anyone who's interested be prepared.

in future just edit the above post so you dont double post and the supercharged SS Commodore is a work in progess but until i get a new GT4 it has stalled :(

in future just edit the above post so you dont double post and the supercharged SS Commodore is a work in progess but until i get a new GT4 it has stalled :(

I know but this thread (which is awesome and has gret potential) was dropping down the list, no one was posting and I felt I needed to bring people's attention back to it- my mistake:dunce: So will that Commodore be on sport or race tyres just curiously.:confused:

Please tell me it will not have a wing, they look awesomely ugly on Commodores in this game, too far forward on the boot.

I agree thats why i opted to not fit a wing

In Homer Simpson fashion- Woo Hoo.👍 I've never tuned a supercharged SS before so it should be fun and I imagine there will be some hot competition for it in the game. I think my CIEN is almost approved for viewing soon too. I hope you can get another GT4 soon bro.👍

Edit: Hey, if anyone's listening, I've got some improved gear ratios coming on the Monaro that help to limit wheelspin in 2nd gear, I dunno why this didn't work the first time but it's got it on now so hopefully this will encourage some more test drives from people.

Edit 2: OK, I've just added the new gear ratios to the Monaro post- check it out. At Grand Valley Speedway I got an extra second out of my lap time thanks to this.

Drove the Monaro around a bit tonight... good car! This probably won't be a long review because it's fairly balanced all around, but here goes...

For such a large powerful car the handling is great - I'm sure the race rubber helps here. I didn't try it on Sports-compound, but I can imagine about half the power would evaporate in tire smoke. Turn in is quick, and from the apex on, with the right amount of throttle it's dead on. I might suggest pumping the initial torque up a bit to make the diff a bit more eager - it might be fun to be able to put a little more power down on exit with less fear of snap, but it's fine as is. Alternatively, I might suggest taking a look at your camber and toe - they seem a little bit excessive all around, and from playing around on the Nurburgring I think they might be interfering with high-speed braking. Aside from that I can't suggest much else. Gearing is appropriately long, the aero balance through sweepers is good, and the suspension seems to behave well even with the curb-igniting ground clearance. Nice job! Now let's see one tuned specifically for sports tires :-)

Drove the Monaro around a bit tonight... good car! This probably won't be a long review because it's fairly balanced all around, but here goes...

For such a large powerful car the handling is great - I'm sure the race rubber helps here. I didn't try it on Sports-compound, but I can imagine about half the power would evaporate in tire smoke. Turn in is quick, and from the apex on, with the right amount of throttle it's dead on. I might suggest pumping the initial torque up a bit to make the diff a bit more eager - it might be fun to be able to put a little more power down on exit with less fear of snap, but it's fine as is. Alternatively, I might suggest taking a look at your camber and toe - they seem a little bit excessive all around, and from playing around on the Nurburgring I think they might be interfering with high-speed braking. Aside from that I can't suggest much else. Gearing is appropriately long, the aero balance through sweepers is good, and the suspension seems to behave well even with the curb-igniting ground clearance. Nice job! Now let's see one tuned specifically for sports tires :-)

Thanks for your in depth review, like I didn't know it was coming:sly: I didn't change the LSD because I had a tip it wouldn't help wheelspin and could hurt the handling but I will try it anyway:tup: gotta be up for new things and this is my favourite car out of all 300+ in my garage, I've got 4 of these. I think the high speed braking issues you talk about actually reside in the break balance, making it want to spin yes? My suggestion is that either brake a little in a straight line then take the corners under throttle or change the brake bias to be more balanced for those tracks with loads of high speed corners.:) This car is great competition in the dream car championship and I design cars to be competitive against those 600-700hp monster race cars, it's kind of my thing (but I do others as well), but if Dimplz approves I could look into a S3 car with less power or just send one straight to you if you're really interested.

Edit: To CLS, I hope you get this, I've now done my research. I couldn'r find any difference made by upping the initial torque as far as wheelspin goes, sorry, but I did note one thing that might be of interest, on a smooth road the wheelspin is non existent in second gear thanks to the gear ratios, because of the bumpy nature at Nurburgring the car loses contact with the road and then starts spinning the wheels, problem solved. I think you would be three times more impressed with the car at tracks like Grand Valley Speedway where it was tuned 👍 it even works well at Circuit de le Sarthe, watch out for the high speed braking approaches though, I've found ways of driving the car at these tracks and it's still very quick, but I think if you can't stop spins just create a more balanced brake bias. 👍

In my tests I ran it at Tsukuba, GVS, Trial, and the Nurburgring, and yeah, it's the rough track surface that provoked more wheelspin, but it was still plenty controllable and the car was more than composed despite that. On even tracks the suspension feels just right, on rough tracks, reducing the damping force just a tad, perhaps in a B-set just for that purpose, would be my only advice. Again, nice job!

AT Cadillac CIEN (made in conjunction with Rotary Junkie of RRV- thanks for the help)(thanks also goes out to Leonidae from MFT who may not have made the settings you see here but certainly helped point out flaws in older designs which led to major improvement- thanks Leonidae)
(798hp) (1232kg)

Cadillac_Cien_6.jpg

Parts to buy:

R3 tyres
Brake Controller
RC Suspension
FC Transmission
FC LSD
Weight Reduction stage 3
Rigidity Increase
A wing
Oil Change

Setup:

Brake balance: 4/4 (6/4 depending on driving style I like the 4/4)

Spring Rate: 10.5/12.0
Ride Height: 90/90
Damper (Bounce): 6/2
Damper (Rebound): 8/4
Camber Angle: 2.5/2.0
Toe Angle: -2/-2
Stabiliser: 7/7

Gear Ratios: Autoset 25 then
1st: 4.105
2nd: 2.574
3rd: 1.914
4th: 1.469
5th: 1.148
6th: 0.939
Final: 3.070

LSD:
Initial Torque: 8
LSD Acceleration: 25
LSD deceleration: 5

Downforce: 55/65

Driving aids at 0

Power= 798hp Weight= 1232kg

Lap Record at Grand Valley Speedway: 1.37.631 (achieved my me)

This is the car that Cadillac never made, they really should have. With a tune like this the car is prepared to take on anything. The stability and willingness to turn combined make this the best car to date I have ever made well capable of getting sub 1min 40sec lap times at Grand Valley Speedway. For all you sport tyre lovers out there feel free to equip sport tyres as this car was originally tuned with them on to find out every minute detail of its flaws and then improve them. It is well capable of beating DTM and JGTC cars on sport tyres. Awesome traction for an almost 800hp car, will demolish all almost. I know the gearbox is a bit retarded so think of it as 5spd with 6th gear as overdrive so you have less shift time and more traction, awesome car.

No wonder it sticks :dopey:!

Holy crap that's a lot of downforce for a road car.

I like to tune cars like race cars and the option to have that much downforce was there so I took it, wouldn't you:sly: I didn't help the understeer it originally had, so it's all me fixing er up. It's really good now though, do you wanna drive? You're up against the sport tyre version in tuner challenge so come see what you're up against, but test the race tyre version more than the sports.

I try to keep away from wings as best I can.

Then, when I DO put a wing on, the car is awesome, not just good.

Soooo........you won't test my car? Even if yours are better (and they probably are, I should test some sometime), you could test mine and oh wait.....it's from GM, now there rises a problem:lol:. You don't have to if you don't want to, I'm just trying to keep AT alive:indiff:

Actually, the only problem is how I win the damn thing; I highly dislike Citta to say the least.

But, test me up a car or two and I'll do the same or do a request car.

Actually, the only problem is how I win the damn thing; I highly dislike Citta to say the least.

But, test me up a car or two and I'll do the same or do a request car.

I don't like Citti di Aria either but me being the "fanboy" I am of GM I was very willing to do it for a CIEN.:sly: You should like this car on R3 tyres but it is capable of such much less grippy tyres.

Review of the Cien by Need 4 Holden Speed:

Pros:
Sick fast
Pretty stable, hard to get it to lose control

Cons:
Understeers a bit
Understeer
Touchy on brakes.

It's good, but I think that's a direct result of the downforce and R3s. I'll do some tweaking to it and see what I come up with.

Review of the Cien by Need 4 Holden Speed:

Pros:
Sick fast
Pretty stable, hard to get it to lose control

Cons:
Understeers a bit
Understeer
Touchy on brakes.

It's good, but I think that's a direct result of the downforce and R3s. I'll do some tweaking to it and see what I come up with.

Thankyou, but the default brakes are crap, it wouldn't turn at all with the brake controller balanced, if you think this is touchy on brakes don't ever drive my Monaro :lol::mischievous: Just the way I like it. Without my tune, the car actually does needless to say- suck. But see what you can come up with, I think the pros outweigh the cons ;) This car is sick fast.:sly: The focus here was on improving handling on a really fast car, I could've given it over 1000hp but that would be silly. Have you driven MFT's R390, is it competition or do they kick my butt?

Edit: Whatever you do don't increase camber, without the option of race brakes the car takes long enough to pull up, not too long though

So far, I'm faster with mine, but it's NOT easy to drive at all.

But.. Two seconds improvement is two seconds improvement.

MFT's R390 is a beast; I need a bit more seat time in it, but it's definitely capable of obliterating damn near anything.

MFT's R390 is a beast; I need a bit more seat time in it, but it's definitely capable of obliterating damn near anything.

So you have already improved on my car by 2 seconds? what track is this, this is interesting to me all of a sudden I tell you what.

Ehh, make that four seconds, and I haven't changed one part.

Trial Mountain, and I just clocked a 1:19 with my version. Here goes.

Suspension:
Spring Rate:--------------13.5/10.5
Ride Height:---------------110/110
Shock Bound:--------------6/2
Shock Rebound:------------8/8
Camber Angle:-------------2.5/2.0
Toe Angle:-----------------(-2)/0
Stabilizers:----------------7/7

Limited Slip:

Init:--------8
Accel:------25
Decel:------5

Brakes:---4/6

Gearing's the same as yours, didn't feel like changing it. And it's kinda funny that it liked 8/8 on the rebound. Tried damn near everything, and stock worked best. :lol:

I know R390's abilities too well.. after all, it was a reply to my fastest car, The Grim R34per.. and that thing is deep in 1'37s on R3's with skilled driver ( STidriver ) :eek: though, we tested both cars on R5's.. and 1'33 was time for R34per, and R390/780GT was just marginally faster. :scared: these cars need a driver who feels no fear.

Latest Posts

Back