FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of avoiding the first race. Going to be carnage in that rain. Annoying as i'd like to give it a go and have put in a 1:47.9 as my fastest lap so far in practice but there's no way you're not going to get punted off. You need to brake so early for some of those corners. I also doubt i'll be able to complete that number of laps without binning it at least once!! Only reason i'm tempted to do it still is that surely others are going to bin it too and hopefully more often than me :lol:

The honda is a blast under rain. Tested in online room , 1.46 high 1.47 regular. One 1.50 due to to mistake. Hard to stay focused during 15 laps. FR cars with high torque are almost undrivables.

Are any of the Gr.3 MR cars easier/harder to drive than others?

I am trying to decide between Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, Citroen & Audi. Normally I would avoid the MR cars simply because they are harder to drive, but fancy a challenge (but not too difficult) for the exhibition series before I head back to the safety of the FR cars.

I used the 650s last season, it's easy to drive by MR standards but not the most competitive.

Did some laps in the Genesis last night in the rain. Pretty consistent mid 48's with TCS on 2 and fuel map 2. Anything less is undrivable for me. Just going to take this one easy and get some points.

Did some laps in the Genesis last night in the rain. Pretty consistent mid 48's with TCS on 2 and fuel map 2. Anything less is undrivable for me. Just going to take this one easy and get some points.
Why fuel map 2 ? Less power ? Easiest to manage throttle ?

David Perel driving a GT3 car in the wet in real life for comparison:

No idea why you put that video there.

It has almost nothing to do with what I said...

I didn't say the graphics of the rain were terrible, or that it wasn't difficult to drive in the rain in reality. What I said was they've got the level of difficulty way wrong with full wets... When it's raining medium (to where you still need full wets, but not Japan GP 07 kind of rain) full wets will not be sliding around like they're driving on Ice... that's consistent across any sport, even when they don't have traction on!

The full wets in the rain on GT Sport, drive like you'd expect slicks to, with absolutely zero grip... which just makes zero sense at all.

Just noticed that the final manufacturer slot is 26:40, so effectively 3am. Curious to see how many participants there’ll be. If I manage to stay up that late. :)

I was doing that anyway before this, because I live in the UK but I have a US PSN account for buying all my games because historically it was significantly cheaper the last 10 years.

But that means I get put on US servers with any games that are region locked... so the times for me were:

- Nations: 23:00, 01:00, 03:00
- New Nations, 23:00, 01:40, 04:20
- Manufacturers, 00:00, 02:00, 04:00
- New Manufacturers, 00:20, 03:00, 05:40

So yeah, it sucks for me right now, I basically have to hope that I get a good result in the first slot every week otherwise I'm f*kd

I re-signed with McLaren for the exhibition season and I think I'll be sticking around longer. I went with the 650S for Gr.3 this time, after checking the calendar and seeing that it outperforms the F1 in the majority of the Gr.3 rounds. RBR in rain is sketchy, especially on the DS4. If I hadn't changed from X/Square to R2/L2 for pedals already, this would have forced me to. My best time trial lap is a 1:46.030 with an optimal of 45.787. It's good judging by the rankings, but I don't think it's enough for me to compete in top split on pace alone. So I'll be hoping for my opponents to bin it. :P

Also, even though it came at the cost of the third timeslot (which is now at 2:40 AM), I'm very glad about the new, longer races. Shows PD listened to our complaints. :D 👍

I re-signed with McLaren for the exhibition season and I think I'll be sticking around longer. I went with the 650S for Gr.3 this time, after checking the calendar and seeing that it outperforms the F1 in the majority of the Gr.3 rounds. RBR in rain is sketchy, especially on the DS4. If I hadn't changed from X/Square to R2/L2 for pedals already, this would have forced me to. My best time trial lap is a 1:46.030 with an optimal of 45.787. It's good judging by the rankings, but I don't think it's enough for me to compete in top split on pace alone. So I'll be hoping for my opponents to bin it. :P

Also, even though it came at the cost of the third timeslot (which is now at 2:40 AM), I'm very glad about the new, longer races. Shows PD listened to our complaints. :D 👍

Are you using any assists? I was thinking about turning a bunch of assists on for this one, because with no traction or any other assists on it's just undriveable for me on the DS4 (Using the GTR Gr.3)

Are you using any assists? I was thinking about turning a bunch of assists on for this one, because with no traction or any other assists on it's just undriveable for me on the DS4 (Using the GTR Gr.3)
I set TCS to 1 for most of the corners. Mainly just for getting on the power initially, once I'm at about 110-120 km/h and going straight I turn it off again. I've found BB +1 to help with wheelspin too.

Gone with Aston Martin for the manufacturers, should do better than McLaren as the cars feel faster especially in Gr.3 guise. May skip RBR in rain though as it looks like it could be chaos even in SR S lobbies.

4900577203374293004_0.jpg

Are any of the Gr.3 MR cars easier/harder to drive than others?

I am trying to decide between Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mclaren, Citroen & Audi. Normally I would avoid the MR cars simply because they are harder to drive, but fancy a challenge (but not too difficult) for the exhibition series before I head back to the safety of the FR cars.

I drove the Citreon for the official season and compared to the lambo and Audi it's much more forgiving in terms of handling. Will only try and kill you every 3 laps instead of every 3 corners like the Audi lol

It's pretty good on tyres although start sliding and they will go off quickly. It's very good on fuel when short shifting which will be needed this season.

I'd recommend it, pulled some good results off with it

Also the group 4 car is decent, similar attributes to the group 3 in terms of tyres and fuel

Looks like a beast in the rear view mirror as well lol.

I'd love to see a really top player in the citreons as I feel they could make an impact in those cars

No idea why you put that video there.

It has almost nothing to do with what I said...

I didn't say the graphics of the rain were terrible, or that it wasn't difficult to drive in the rain in reality. What I said was they've got the level of difficulty way wrong with full wets... When it's raining medium (to where you still need full wets, but not Japan GP 07 kind of rain) full wets will not be sliding around like they're driving on Ice... that's consistent across any sport, even when they don't have traction on!

The full wets in the rain on GT Sport, drive like you'd expect slicks to, with absolutely zero grip... which just makes zero sense at all.
It provides a comparison for how it is for him to drive it in the wet. You can see his inputs, so you can see, for example, to what extent he's having to use partial throttle, you can see his lap times to compare against dry lap times, you can see times when it squirms about because he's used more throttle than ideal at that point in time. You can generally assess the relationship between his inputs and the car's behaviour, in real life, in the wet, which seems pretty relevant to me.

GTS daily race Gr.3 Monza RM dry world #1 1:45.8. His best time in the wet 2:02.06, difference 16.26 seconds. It would be nice to know what he would have done in the dry in the same car, of course, so feel free to provide additional relevant information if you can find it.

GTS daily race Gr.3 RBR RM dry world #1 1:27.375. Manufacturers free practice full wets world #1 1:44.093, difference 16.718 seconds.

Obviously this can only be seen as a ballpark comparison for several reasons, but as far as it goes, the change in lap time in GTS seems reasonably in line with his best wet Monza lap time.

In terms of subjectively assessing the difficulty he is experiencing, based on the relationships between his inputs and the car's behaviour, I'm not seeing a huge night and day difference compared to what it looks like when you watch a top 10 replay from the manufacturers leaderboard. Also, he says that they had maxed out the rear downforce to give more rear end grip in the wet, which we can't do for manufacturers.

As another test, I just created a lobby where I could try out a car I've owned, the Civic Type R, in the wet. In real life I know this has plenty of grip in the wet with standard road tyres, it's not at all difficult to drive in the wet. In GTS, it was also very easy to drive around RBR in the wet on Comfort Soft tyres. I tried Wet tyres, and they were also fine. I didn't do enough laps with each to see the relative lap times, but when I turned the wheel left and right on the straights to feel the level of grip, the wets felt more grippy, which I think is what we'd expect?

This should probably all be moved into a thread on wet physics in GTS.

I put traction control on 1 driving the GT-R but it's out of laziness more than anything else. After the last tyre physics update it became a lot more manageable. The worst part is accelerating from about 50 through 80 mph if you still have to turn.

I've also spent a lot of time driving it over the past year which probably helps, but once you know what it's going to do it becomes a lot more manageable.

I put traction control on 1 driving the GT-R but it's out of laziness more than anything else. After the last tyre physics update it became a lot more manageable. The worst part is accelerating from about 50 through 80 mph if you still have to turn.

I've also spent a lot of time driving it over the past year which probably helps, but once you know what it's going to do it becomes a lot more manageable.

Are you on DS4 or wheel? Will try traction later when I get on

News on FIA-Series:

[IMPORTANT]
 ・Race durations and entry start times have been changed. Please check ‘Changes to Race Duration and Entry Start Times’ for more details;
 ・ The 'Tyre Requirement' rule applied in the World Tour events will also be introduced in the Online Championships. Players must use each of the specified tyre compounds at least once during the race. In the event that this rule is not followed, a time penalty will be added to the player’s post-race result.

For Rounds with the 'Tyre Requirement' rule active, it will be possible to check the required tyre compounds from the ‘Race Details’ screen or the ‘Tyre Requirement’ section on the bottom right of the Race Entry screen after matchmaking.

I like that. Adds a bit more strategy.

Races should be Sprint or Endurance. Sprint would be no mandatory pit. Endurance: pit mandatory with the tyre requirements above.

Now, I've chosen Pirellis to match the real race car. Next month, when the Michelin content is added, will all races then be sponsored by that brand?

So the Red Bull race says Intermediates in the regulations, but the schedule says Intermediates and Wets?

In the race details section for Red Bull Ring the mandatory tyre section is blank, so the new rule isn't applied for this race. Heavy wets and intermediates are available so you can use either.

That said, if you choose to use intermediates you're crazy :lol:

Can you aussies find out what the time penalty is and share it? :cheers:

If its 5 seconds then its stupid and theres no point in following that

Signed with Jaguar this season. Hoping to get involved with more of the races. Really like the “team” photo idea so made one of my own from liveries I could find since I’m shiet at making my own.

82C10C65-4236-4E1D-9DF8-321B2A138C70.jpeg

Hmm, on October 16 there's a race at Tokyo Expressway East (wet), but I don't see any race at Spa. Does it mean that we'll receive the Tokyo wet on September update and that Spa will be saved for the October one? Or am I reading too much into that? I'm not sure we'd receive both tracks together...

How do u know it Tokyo express wet ??? It’s still tba ??? Also who to say it’s not spa or even a new track it pd they can Surprises us

Hmm, on October 16 there's a race at Tokyo Expressway East (wet), but I don't see any race at Spa. Does it mean that we'll receive the Tokyo wet on September update and that Spa will be saved for the October one? Or am I reading too much into that? I'm not sure we'd receive both tracks together...
Maybe both come on October in separate dates, like the update of the Super F and Autopolis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back