Forza 8 news got me nervous?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 296 comments
So... I watched a certain stream from a certain upcoming racing game... and then I popped 20-year old FM6 in my series S... and it was all good. I hope the next FM is not distracted by aesthetics or other superfluous things that I saw, but improve in the really good things that it already had.

20-year old FM6
time traveller?

fm.JPG

So... I watched a certain stream from a certain upcoming racing game... and then I popped 20-year old FM6 in my series S... and it was all good. I hope the next FM is not distracted by aesthetics or other superfluous things that I saw, but improve in the really good things that it already had.
One thing I sincerely hope they do is build upon FM 6's excellent sound samples. FM 5 especially.

I just wish they could make a polished motorsport game with good AI and fun racing offline. Is that too much to ask for? Eh, hopefully it isn't going to be the same story as always. Oh, look at this breathtaking graphics, beautiful clouds, we spent so much time working on this and that, and oh, there are so many racing suits to choose from now! However then when you actually want to race... even GTR2 from 2006 eats it for breakfast, it's not even a contest :( And I know, titles such as GTR2 were made for different audience but what's the point of racing game if you can't race properly? At least in Horizon you get to enjoy some good scenery and racing is only one thing of many to do. Here, the main point - racing seems to be just an afterthought. At least offline. At least they seem to do something to make it good experience online, but offline, not much has been done through FM7 lifecycle.

If they seriously want to make the game fit the title "Motorsport", they need to do more than just have lots of content and good graphics. It needs to actually be about motorsport, it needs good AI, proper racing, pit stop strategies...

Who knows though - Horizon series has been successful with casual players and they are rarely interested in closed track racing games. Maybe, just maybe, since they already have a great casual racing title, they could focus on making Forza Motorsport the best Motorsport title it can be. We'll see.

Last edited:
I just wish they could make a polished motorsport game with good AI and fun racing offline. Is that too much to ask for? Eh, hopefully it isn't going to be the same story as always. Oh, look at this breathtaking graphics, beautiful clouds, we spent so much time working on this and that, and oh, there are so many racing suits to choose from now! However then when you actually want to race... even GTR2 from 2006 eats it for breakfast, it's not even a contest :( And I know, titles such as GTR2 were made for different audience but what's the point of racing game if you can't race properly? At least in Horizon you get to enjoy some good scenery and racing is only one thing of many to do. Here, the main point - racing seems to be just an afterthought. At least offline. At least they seem to do something to make it good experience online, but offline, not much has been done through FM7 lifecycle.

If they seriously want to make the game fit the title "Motorsport", they need to do more than just have lots of content and good graphics. It needs to actually be about motorsport, it needs good AI, proper racing, pit stop strategies...

Who knows though - Horizon series has been successful with casual players and they are rarely interested in closed track racing games. Maybe, just maybe, since they already have a great casual racing title, they could focus on making Forza Motorsport the best Motorsport title it can be. We'll see.
Forza Motorsport killed off PGR while now Horizon is slowly killing off motorsport.

Motorsport peak days of 1 to 4 was really the best time of Forza Motorsport when it came to the Xbox one era it stagnated.

It's hard to ask Forza Motorsport to match what GTR2 did when GTR2 was literally the last of its conception & its successor might as well be vaporware; that game could end up being 20 years old by the time GTR3 releases. That sort of approach to racing appeals to the hardcore fans & it seems like ACC or Automobilista 2 is where you have to go to quench that thirst.

Motorsport is not going to be killed off as long as Horizon rests on open-world. Microsoft wants a GT-fighter & that will remain Motorsport, and it seems very clear T10 is looking at recreating the idea of what the Motorsport games are to accomplish, considering it'll be on a 5-year (Christ....) hiatus this year, for a franchise that was cranking out games every 2 years; we'd be looking at Forza 10 if they had followed the same routine that can be fairly labeled as stagnate.

The trailer did create a more motorsport-team feel in it & the devs have liked to tout AI, so maybe what you're after will be there. All I will say is that expectations can be justifiably be high for a franchise that has taken this much time off & skipped being a console-launch game.

Last edited:
I hope that T10 has good management and Chris Esaki has a clear vision for the franchise going forward, I hope it's not like 343 who got their long dev cycle and still turned in a half finished game with missing features and lack of content. This entry needs to be strong and polished and full of content from Day 1 and later expanded for years with free DLC.

I hope that T10 has good management and Chris Esaki has a clear vision for the franchise going forward, I hope it's not like 343 who got their long dev cycle and still turned in a half finished game with missing features and lack of content. This entry needs to be strong and polished and full of content from Day 1 and later expanded for years with free DLC.
Unfortunately, it's got little to do with vision and more to do with what MS wants. So the creative director who plays ball with MS is the one they keep 😄

They haven't really done anything to make the racing a good experience online either though, but it's still alive just because of the lack of other options.

Racing in general hasn't really been touched in the life of the series, unless you count the backwards steps of taking away tire compounds in FM1/2 and dumbing down the damage system to where it is now. No in-depth pitstops with fuel or tire strategy options, tire wear basically doesn't exist until you are at 70% but even then it doesn't even slow down much until 92% then it just falls off a cliff, draft that doesn't work properly, lack of precise lobby control/setup options in the menus, vague vehicle restrictions with no precise vehicle balancing tools... The whole system needs a rework and has for years and it has basically left us in a situation where every race is a flat-out sprint which isn't all that interesting. Even adding changeable conditions where it can start raining didn't change anything as there was no strategy with deciding when to switch to rain tires since you just start on rain tires.

There are groups out there in the community that have found car/track/race length combos where tire wear or fuel strategy comes into it, but the options are pretty limited so it's pretty rare, and I'm not sure if they are things that you can do in single player as I don't know how much the AI follow the same rules for fuel mileage/tire wear... I've seen some pretty weird pitstop timing for them that makes me think they wouldn't work though.

It might be a lot to ask for AI to be good. It seems like AI is the area of racing games in general that has seen the least progress, and with multiplayer being so easy nowadays I do kinda wonder how much developers bother with it anymore. I'm sure it's way harder to make good AI improvements than it is to just add a few cars and driver suits or get some Top Gear guy to do a voice over for something.

Not sure I can think of any racing game that I enjoy racing the AI in anymore... I guess Wreckfest, it has great AI in that they do a great job replicating human players where some are fast, some are slow, some are clumsy, and some just want to watch the world burn.

There's a big section of the playerbase that has been hoping Horizon would mean Motorsport could get more serious since basically the announcement of the Horizon series. Esaki has been saying some good things and the break for the series and relative success of GT:S could all be leading us to some significant changes that are much needed... But also if you pick up on some of the stuff that has been discussed/mentioned/not mentioned/brushed off, there are reasons to temper expectations, and I know within a lot of the still active communities it's kind of in the "we will believe when we see it" zone.

Last edited:
They haven't really done anything to make the racing a good experience online either though, but it's still alive just because of the lack of other options.

Racing in general hasn't really been touched in the life of the series, unless you count the backwards steps of taking away tire compounds in FM1/2 and dumbing down the damage system to where it is now. No in-depth pitstops with fuel or tire strategy options, tire wear basically doesn't exist until you are at 70% but even then it doesn't even slow down much until 92% then it just falls off a cliff, draft that doesn't work properly, lack of precise lobby control/setup options in the menus, vague vehicle restrictions with no precise vehicle balancing tools... The whole system needs a rework and has for years and it has basically left us in a situation where every race is a flat-out sprint which isn't all that interesting. Even adding changeable conditions where it can start raining didn't change anything as there was no strategy with deciding when to switch to rain tires since you just start on rain tires.

There are groups out there in the community that have found car/track/race length combos where tire wear or fuel strategy comes into it, but the options are pretty limited so it's pretty rare, and I'm not sure if they are things that you can do in single player as I don't know how much the AI follow the same rules for fuel mileage/tire wear... I've seen some pretty weird pitstop timing for them that makes me think they wouldn't work though.

It might be a lot to ask for AI to be good. It seems like AI is the area of racing games in general that has seen the least progress, and with multiplayer being so easy nowadays I do kinda wonder how much developers bother with it anymore. I'm sure it's way harder to make good AI improvements than it is to just add a few cars and driver suits or get some Top Gear guy to do a voice over for something.

Not sure I can think of any racing game that I enjoy racing the AI in anymore... I guess Wreckfest, it has great AI in that they do a great job replicating human players where some are fast, some are slow, some are clumsy, and some just want to watch the world burn.

There's a big section of the playerbase that has been hoping Horizon would mean Motorsport could get more serious since basically the announcement of the Horizon series. Esaki has been saying some good things and the break for the series and relative success of GT:S could all be leading us to some significant changes that are much needed... But also if you pick up on some of the stuff that has been discussed/mentioned/not mentioned/brushed off, there are reasons to temper expectations, and I know within a lot of the still active communities it's kind of in the "we will believe when we see it" zone.
Well put. I frankly don't have too high hopes for the next FM. In fact, they haven't even showcased anything to give us a clue so as to how it might be looking so far, apart from tall claims and over-hyping their product which has been their basic strategy since FM arrived on Xbox One.

The State of Play videos for GT 7 are looking very promising on the other hand. Kaz has worked hard to improve the sounds and I foresee physics improvements as well. GT 7 could actually give FM 8 a good run for its money. Would be exciting to see how this turns out.

All in all, no too eager to get a SX for FM.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's got little to do with vision and more to do with what MS wants. So the creative director who plays ball with MS is the one they keep 😄
I don't know, it seems that things are different under Phil Spencer's rule, this is longest dev cycle T10 has ever got, and MS doesn't seem to push any gimmicks at the moment. I feel there is both less and more pressure on T10 now, less because MS has a lot of studios now, so T10 doesn't have carry the weight of Xbox alone anymore, but more pressure from fans and MS because Horizon has taken over as the marquee franchise with both better critical reception and sales. T10 has to reinvent FM now and make it relevant again, otherwise I feel they could be reduced to a support studio for Playground and stop making FM altogether.

I don't know, it seems that things are different under Phil Spencer's rule, this is longest dev cycle T10 has ever got, and MS doesn't seem to push any gimmicks at the moment. I feel there is both less and more pressure on T10 now, less because MS has a lot of studios now, so T10 doesn't have carry the weight of Xbox alone anymore, but more pressure from fans and MS because Horizon has taken over as the marquee franchise with both better critical reception and sales. T10 has to reinvent FM now and make it relevant again, otherwise I feel they could be reduced to a support studio for Playground and stop making FM altogether.
That's entirely possible. I'm just not too hopeful ATM unless I see actual footage. Besides, I still get satisfaction from FM 7, 6 and 5 with horizon 5 occasionally thrown in... So I'm good for now, anyway.

Last edited:
Has there been any news regarding a release window yet? It seems like a lifetime ago that the announcement trailer dropped.
No news yet, but it could be late this year or maybe even holiday 2023. They're still working on physics, so it doesn't sound like it's close to completion.

I'm hoping for this year, in the American 'holiday' season.

I'm really looking forward to it, considering the long development period.

Last edited:
FM6 is peak Forza Motorsports IMO, they should have developed it further or reset the series at that point, FM7 just set them back years.
FM4 I think was the peak. FM6 just lacked any kind of fun factor, visually felt a step backwards from FM5, felt it was missing something and the single player was a bit dull.

The new one really needs to rekindle the fun aspect of these games that hasn't really been there since FM4. a good worthwhile single player campaign that isn't over too quickly and has actual replay value would be a good start. Tighten up the classes and racing series' represented and get rid of the god awful homologation system.

Thats cool I joined Forza Central around 2009.

My name was LamboFerrari. Cool to see another member.

I havent been active there since 2015. Really sad to see it close. Had some good times there.

Last edited:
Thats cool I joined Forza Central around 2009.

My name was LamboFerrari. Cool to see another member.

I havent been active there since 2015. Really sad to see it close. Had some good times there.
I'm not sure it was much active after that point, tbh. :lol:

I think Black lost a lot of the members when it started going down every other month. Then, it was active for a while when I returned briefly, and gone for good after. I think a few members migrated to TDUCentral which is now TurboDuck; seems active still.

Still surprised BADNED basically vanished off the web as far as I've found once the forum was dead.

I'm not sure it was much active after that point, tbh. :lol:

I think Black lost a lot of the members when it started going down every other month. Then, it was active for a while when I returned briefly, and gone for good after. I think a few members migrated to TDUCentral which is now TurboDuck; seems active still.

Still surprised BADNED basically vanished off the web as far as I've found once the forum was dead.
Badned ahh good old times. I always use to ask for hints from him he even explained why certain cars never came to Forza.

Im wondering how he got his info. Still good old times. Around 2013 to 2015 i was barely active at times I logged in but even when i logged in at those years it was basically barely anybody there. Not as active as it used to be.

I hope every member is doing fine. I went on Forza Central nearly everyday. Out of all forums I have been to, forza central is where I spent most of my time.

Last edited:
FM4 I think was the peak. FM6 just lacked any kind of fun factor, visually felt a step backwards from FM5, felt it was missing something and the single player was a bit dull.

The new one really needs to rekindle the fun aspect of these games that hasn't really been there since FM4. a good worthwhile single player campaign that isn't over too quickly and has actual replay value would be a good start. Tighten up the classes and racing series' represented and get rid of the god awful homologation system.
I know what you mean; 4 had superb physics for its time which were only bettered by FM 5. Then they nerfed the physics so much in 6 that I almost lost interest in the game although it has some excellent sound samples, and even the scaled back graphics are nice, especially at night and rain. FM 5 though graphically, I find much more pleasing: the cars and tracks seem to have more volume and appear full bodied If that makes sense. Also the sense of speed and particularly the FOV was perfect, which got ruined after every game they released after FM 6, that was the turning point of the FOV hitting the bin, in favour of smaller, fish eye style graphics.

Last edited:
Lol FM5 had terrible physics where you slided around like an idiot if you even slightly touched the throttle.
Sure, on the high powered cars. I've had no such issue and other than the cars looking a little stiff in replays, the physics are great. Not the best but still pretty good for a console racing game.

Have you ever driven a high hp rwd car IRL?

Back