Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
seeing the state of gt sport, and now delay of gt7 untill the end of 2022 at best
I think
they better cancel it altogether
Every Gran Turismo game has been delayed, evey single title in history.

Covid or not, if the game come out in late 2022 or middle 2022, 5 years of development should be enough to make it the best GT experience, better than GT4 and GT5, of course, if they don't screw up again.... They have the opportunity, and I hope they will not disappoint us again. I mean 2018-2022 it's a very long dev time so we hope the best

This is typical for GT development, they've always pushed back releasing the game. In some cases 2 or 3 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though the advertised feature set of GT6 took another year to actually happen.

There is another aspect potentially at play here as well, avaialbilty of PS5's. Just becuase Sony have confirmed GT7 has been pushed back to 2022 due to a deliberately vague COVID has impacted production, does not mean that 2021 was not and still isn't a realistic or achieveable release window. We don't really know, we probably won't ever know for sure, but I would be surprised if the struggle to meet PS5 production demand wasn't also a factor in this decision
I do recognize the point that Sony realizes that it probably doesn't matter if there are actually any games on PS5 throughout the end of the year for it to still be constantly sold out, just like it didn't last year; but will note that by the end of 2021 there will most likely be significantly more PS5s in the wild than there were PS2s when GT3 came out, and Sony trying to play the chicken-egg game with the series before didn't work as they expected with GT6 (yes, I know different context there too).

Also, don't confuse them teling us that GT7 is a 2022 title now as them only just deciding/realizing it won't hit in 2021. The signs have been there for a while, the lack of a marketing push perhaps being the biggest one that made it apparent (to me at least) it wouldn't be a 1st half 2021 release. At the same time, no release date has ever been given, only a tentative window so it's always been a bit up in the air. They will have known it wasn't going to hit 2021 for a time before they have made the comment on it not releasing in 2021.
Would they though? PD have never given any indication in the past twenty years that they had any handle on that sort of thing even before These Unprecedented Times, including several instances where Sony refused to admita game would be delayed until it was so late it would have been impossible to physically ship it to stores for the planned release date even if it was done. That PD may have thrown up their hands already in February and said the game won't come out this year makes it seem an awful lot like COVID is amplifying the problems of what has always been a poorly managed studio, not creating them anew.

Last edited:
Is the delay even that big of a deal, it's not like we have a solid release date on this game anyways.

The delay itself is not a big deal. But the game being considerably affected by the pandemic is obvioisly not ideal for PD, Sony and everyone wanting GT7 to be the best GT game one can imagine.

The delay itself is not a big deal. But the game being considerably affected by the pandemic is obvioisly not ideal for PD, Sony and everyone wanting GT7 to be the best GT game one can imagine.

Well, until late 2022 or so they have time, if it's not enough they might delay it to 2023 then, if they delay the game it means they want to take time to make it better as possible, because development slowed down due to covid and they also want to avoid to repeat the mistake of GT5

I think should be fine, well at least we hope :)

And so the wait continues

Who here really thought PD would keep to 2021, Release a patch for GTsport for PS5 so they can enjoy it at higher frame rate at least or some cut down prologue like we had for the PS3

And so the wait continues

Who here really thought PD would keep to 2021, Release a patch for GTsport for PS5 so they can enjoy it at higher frame rate at least or some cut down prologue like we had for the PS3

Or even an update which give some graphical improvement for gt sport on the PS5 or maybe ray tracing and adaptive trigger and ABS

I do recognize the point that Sony realizes that it probably doesn't matter if there are actually any games on PS5 throughout the end of the year for it to still be constantly sold out, just like it didn't last year; but will note that by the end of 2021 there will most likely be significantly more PS5s in the wild than there were PS2s when GT3 came out, and Sony trying to play the chicken-egg game with the series before didn't work as they expected with GT6 (yes, I know different context there too).
I'm sure there will be other games coming out regardless of GT7, but on the supply and demand front demand is higher than usual and supply is lower than usual both due to COVID-19.

Would they though? PD have never given any indication in the past twenty years that they had any handle on that sort of thing even before These Unprecedented Times, including several instances where Sony refused to admita game would be delayed until it was so late it would have been impossible to physically ship it to stores for the planned release date even if it was done. That PD may have thrown up their hands already in February and said the game won't come out this year makes it seem an awful lot like COVID is amplifying the problems of what has always been a poorly managed studio, not creating them anew.
Yes they would, categorically. Note I didn't say how much time, but they certainly wouldn't have decided the same time that they released the statement. How much time I couldn't say, but it could be longer than you think.

You are right, Polyphony have proven that they are happy to push back release dates plenty of times in the past. I just don't subscribe to the idea they've messed up just becuase it's PD and that they've had long enough to adapt to COVID to have prevented this. Could it have been delayed anyway though? Absolutely. Does this delay seem surprising or unreasonable to me? No. Could it be a Sony decision to delay rather than a Polyphony one? Yes, it possibly could be.

Last edited:
Best generation for GT titles? Yep would agree with that, racing games overall? Nah wouldn't agree with that.

It's bigger in content yes, in the complexity of physics engine, tyre model and ffb? Nope

Even the detail of the laser scan on the track surfaces appear to be at a different standard.

Even with the might of Sony behind them (which has in reality been the case since day one), they can't overturn global travel bans, that will in some case stop them (and other devs) from getting out and scanning cars/tracks.
I did say in my original comment they cant get out and scan my issue was with the small studio excuse been banded around by some users everytime PD delay or don`t deliver on something. The game is delayed for a valid reason no point risking the health of PD employees for a game.

The delay is somewhat reminiscent of GT3 and the PS2. I imagine a lot more units were sold thanks to a higher number of consoles in consumer homes. The development cost for GT7 is probably astronomical, the delay is certainly beneficial to Sony I reckon. More consoles out there, higher odds of Sony recuperating that investment.

Also look at the release schedule for first party titles in 2021. Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok (doubtful but it is slated) and the new Ratchet & Clank title, plus other PS5 exclusives. Possibly a contributing factor to the delay as well.

Second generation PSVR has also recently been announced. A coincidence perhaps? A true racing experience in GT7 would represent a seismic shift from the previous use of VR in GT Sport. Now this I could imagine taking up a lot of development time. Also PSVR 2.0 has been confirmed not to be released in 2021.

Finally when is the new Forza title slated for release? Is it holiday 2021? Also 2022? Would this have influenced the delay as well?

TLDR:

1. Higher player install base
2. Spreading the release schedule for first party games.
3. Delayed to tie in with PSVR.
4. No imminent release of Forza

I'm sure there will be other games coming out regardless of GT7, but on the supply and demand front demand is higher than usual and supply is lower than usual both due to COVID-19.
Supply is about the same as with the previous generation; and Sony has repeatedly said they expect to sell more in the first year than they did the PS4.

Just like with nVidia GPUs, there have actually been plenty being dumped into the supply chain, but demand is significantly higher than before.

The delay is somewhat reminiscent of GT3 and the PS2. I imagine a lot more units were sold thanks to a higher number of consoles in consumer homes. The development cost for GT7 is probably astronomical, the delay is certainly beneficial to Sony I reckon. More consoles out there, higher odds of Sony recuperating that investment.
Sony expects there to be significantly more PS5s sold by the end of this year than there were PS2s by the time GT3 came out; and there has never been a correlation between existing install base and the sales of GT titles.

The opposite, in fact.

Last edited:
It seriously sucks that this pandemic has put a huge damper on the gaming industry as a whole. But at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel with vaccines rolling out at last (barring the variants, that is).

Was really looking forward to hearing Daiki Kasho's new music, but it seems we'll have to wait yet another year for that. =/

(Btw, does this forum allow name changes? 'Cause I'm now known as Lux Klonoa everywhere else but here...)

No need to get a ps5 until 2022 then..

I will take it later this year when will be more freely available, so I can enjoy Demon Souls, Crash 4 and also all my ps4 games with improvements (gt sport including) that the PS5 give, and then I go for God of War Ragnarok and GT7 of course, when they will be released in 2022. But the one I wait the most is GT7.

Of course, Rachet Clank and Call of Duty World War 2 could also be interesting on the PS5, I'll see for future games in this gen, definitely will be something also very good to play in the next years on PS5, but for now these are the games that I hype mostly as the reason to buy the console, for now... it seems that we will get the best games by 2022-2023 when covid stops and when they start to use ps5 power at fullest they can pull up amazing games potentialy, I can't wait! I will have many games to play I reckon :)

However, sorry If I went out-topic a bit.... But I think that in this year until summer at least, we will get only slim updates and few small news about GT7, nothing major until we got the GT7 event dedicated only to GT7 or another big state of play reveal event dedicated to PS5 exclusives maybe in the middle of this year, in summer 2021, or maybe even later, when the game will be closer to end dev cycle (at least, closer than now) then probably we might get more relevant news but I hope something by summer if the odds will be good. We will see!

Yep. But you notice that some bits of Squeenix adapted better than others. The new expansion for FFXIV is still scheduled to come out Fall this year, which is maybe a month or two behind their normal two year cycle, and they've been releasing scheduled patches as well with some minor delays. Division 5 and Yoshi-P are staggeringly well organised, and it shows.

I didn't say that it was easy, but these people are supposed to be highly paid, intelligent professionals. It's okay to critique them when they drop the ball.
Likewise, I didn't say that there shouldn't be delays compared to the pre-COVID plan, but if it's only becoming apparently now in February 2021 that a delay is required then someone isn't doing their job.

That one is actually interesting because it's a legit restriction, but it seems like something that could be worked around. We know Polyphony have tons of data already, and maybe it isn't to the exact quality or of the exact things that they want but they just have to make do. Maybe they have to spend more time on gameplay and less time on content, which would be nice.

But again, to most people it was pretty apparent in the middle of last year when there were literally thousands of deaths a day that it was going to be mid to late 2021 before anything like normal travel would be available (assuming a vaccine was made and produced which wasn't a given at that point). If they're only figuring out now that lack of travel is going to hurt them, that's just dumb.

There are things that are obviously results of the pandemic that no amount of rational planning could have mitigated. But I find it hard to believe that someone with access to the internal information that Polyphony had at the release of the PS5 couldn't have identified that the game wouldn't make a 2021 release date, especially given that people on GTP could pick it based on no more information than "Polyphony has delayed almost every game they've ever released".

But efficiency isn't the point. Their efficiency could be half of what it was, and it's still possible to make a reasonable prediction of when the game will be finished based on that. The efficiency of making a game is completely unrelated to the ability to make an accurate prediction of when it will be ready to ship. It's not about needing to get your productivity back to pre-COVID levels, that may be impossible. But you can adjust your forward planning and release dates quickly and easily once it's clear that your production rate is going to be affected.

It's a crazy time for lots of people still but if major companies haven't got their 🤬 together after 12 months I don't see the need to make excuses for them. When everything was being delayed and cancelled Q3 last year, that was understandable. That was the time when it really became clear that everyone was in this for the long haul, and I say that as someone in Australia which is really barely affected compared to some other places.

If companies are just now figuring out that actually they may be a bit behind schedule, that sounds exactly like how Polyphony operates. Throw out a random date (or in this case, a random year), and then ignore it until it becomes glaringly obvious that it would be impossible to hit it. After nearly 25 years they still haven't come across the idea that Prior Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance.

I believe the mistake here is that you're assuming PD is the one who released publicly that 2021 target date and is only just now in February delaying the game when this delay most likely occurred internally somewhere in the latter half of 2020. All of the marketing material that has been shown is from Playstation's social media and many times so far points to whoever made these Playstation trailers/ads for the ps5 launch having used outdated marketing material. The GT7 reveal had no release year, the official Playstation.com site or GranTurismo site never had a release year for GT7. We didn't even know about a potential 2021 target until November when someone found a fine print marketing material in super small French text in a youtube playstation ad.

gtrels0ktj.jpg

The only other time 2021 popped up was also in November Playstation's youtube released the "New Worlds to Explore" ad that had GT7 for a target of early 2021, then literally a month later in December changed the video to just "GT7 in development". The signs were always there, PD didn't just suddenly make their delay decision in February.

gtrel2lvkc1.jpg

gtrel3ickxs.jpg

It's also not the only time Playstation marketing messed up their ads with outdated material. On Jan 11 they released another ad that showed target dates for PS5 third party exclusives, then literally 4 days later on Jan 15 they removed those third-party game target dates. Seems with Covid there's more of a miscommunication or lack thereof between whoever makes the marketing slides, whoever puts together the videos and publishes them, and the numerous game devs.

Eryse2bXIAQIgZJ

ErysfL-XEAIRfqh

The twitter account for Kena's dev even pushed back against confirming the initial playstation ad and said they didn't have a set date. The developers were caught off guard by the Playstation ads. We first saw marketing text for GT7 saying 2021 in November, then a month later they edited the video to have a generic "GT7 is in development" with no target year. Seems pretty obvious what happened.

Last edited:
Hard news :(
Indeed, mate. :(
The Democrats have had the White House for 34 days, and this is what we get. Thanks Obama Biden.
A record 32 executive orders in the first week and nothing directing PD to release GT7 immediately? :eek:

Not cool! :lol:
Oh well, life goes on.
But... without GT I am nothing, Alan. :lol: :gtpflag:

GT6's already gettin' the record number of years' use from me for any GT title, so in the end I reckon it'll be a record I'll likely never break. Fingers crossed.

More time for me to wait until the PS5 becomes less of a unicorn, though I'm abit behind with God Of War so GT7 will hardly be THE only reason for one.

Yeah, I've been hoping all along that a black version will come out so I don't have to Plasti Dip the thing.

Hopefully the delay will work in my favour, touch wood...

snc
Yeah they postponed game because of scapes, typical pd :d about laser scanes, isnt this days just data to buy ? Similar to new cars (cad)

They could just buy existing CAD models for cars but it is the "Quality" there looking for.

PD expect every chamfer to be precise to the real mesh with their Super Premium Models.

They could just buy existing CAD models for cars but it is the "Quality" there looking for.

PD expect every chamfer to be precise to the real mesh with their Super Premium Models.
so why they lacking in handling and sound department ? ;d

Back