Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Consoles should be reverse compatible and upgradable, rather than having to drop cash each time a new game version rolls out. If I have to buy a new console to run a new game version, go through wheel compatibility issues, all that while watching my investment in a 1 year old system rott as obsolete, I’m out .
Bad business Sony.

Make the games more expensive but don’t force everyone to purchase a console because you no longer support the older models. This business model is not new, Microsoft has been using this approach for years.

Yeah, because there's definitely not a Bugatti Veyron in the group.
The Challenger SRT-8 (197 inches) is way longer than the Veyron Gr.4 (177 inches). GT5 and GT6 don’t have the Length or Width of the Touring Car, so 197 inches is only the Normal Road Car. The Touring Car would most likely be a tad bit longer (.2 inches or so) because of the front splitter and stuff. The Veyron Gr.4 is 2.7 inches wider than the Challenger though...

The Touring Cars from GT5 and 6 could be reused for GT Sport, but only included in their own classes. Which brings back the idea of PD creating classes for different era race cars since they have added a significant number of cars since last year.

I have a hunch that the Skyline Touring Cars will come back at some point, but their models will be re-purposed into their real life counterparts. The R33 TC will become the JGTC R33 for instance:
aba758c33a18fd75c165deb32f0d94d5.jpg

and using this example; it wouldn't be alone since there was a 1997 Castrol Tom's Supra in GT5 & 6. Really, the only thing missing to create a 1990s JGTC GT500 class is a premium NSX GT500.

The Challenger SRT-8 (197 inches) is way longer than the Veyron Gr.4 (177 inches). GT5 and GT6 don’t have the Length or Width of the Touring Car, so 197 inches is only the Normal Road Car. The Touring Car would most likely be a tad bit longer (.2 inches or so) because of the front splitter and stuff. The Veyron Gr.4 is 2.7 inches wider than the Challenger though...
That's not even 2 feet longer. What a massive difference when comparing yachts.

Consoles should be reverse compatible and upgradable, rather than having to drop cash each time a new game version rolls out. If I have to buy a new console to run a new game version, go through wheel compatibility issues, all that while watching my investment in a 1 year old system rott as obsolete, I’m out .
Bad business Sony.

Make the games more expensive but don’t force everyone to purchase a console because you no longer support the older models. This business model is not new, Microsoft has been using this approach for years.
That's how they make money!

Well, that's a usual trait of a muscle car, right? They usually measure around almost 200 inches long.

Yeah but people spend $1500 each time a new phone comes out. That could be six months to a year. At least a new game(Gran Turismo) and console come around every 3-5 years.
Well people rarely pay their new phones cash right then and there. They pay monthly. Anyway I'm going really off topic on a thread that's about GT Sport...

Quick question. I'm having a really hard time keeping up in sport mode. My SR is capped but DR is 1 since I can never finish top 5 against an all S room. Do I drive like poo to drop my SR so the racing is fun and competitive again, or do I just putter along 20-30 seconds behind the pack every race? I like being top SR but honestly the racing is no fun, since theres no one around me to race with.

Quick question. I'm having a really hard time keeping up in sport mode. My SR is capped but DR is 1 since I can never finish top 5 against an all S room. Do I drive like poo to drop my SR so the racing is fun and competitive again, or do I just putter along 20-30 seconds behind the pack every race? I like being top SR but honestly the racing is no fun, since theres no one around me to race with.

Neither. Driving like a jerk will ruin everyone's race and you'll have no fun putting around the back for the sake of a sportsmanship racing. You gotta git gud as they say around here. As you get better the competition is going to get better and it will take more work to compete against them. There is a pile of campaign stuff to do. Did you finish the school? All gold? Finish the Missions? Did you get all gold in the circuit experience for the tracks Sport is using? Watch online track guides? If you're just learning those things will make you faster, that's why they're there. If you've done these things and still can't keep up then it's going to come down to taking the time to do hard work and grinding at time trials and watching vids of faster people.

I've golded all but the final Driving School test. Missions at 65% gold all but 2. Circuit at 51% gold 64 to 12 not gold. Yes all gold at Maggiore. Still pretty new but I wouldn't think I'm 6-10 seconds slower per lap. 1 or 2 I could see but 6+? Driving with a controller probably costs me a second, not being able to half throttle or feather turns.

I know I need to get better, just wish I could be in competitive races to help with that. Dropping to last and being 20 seconds behind halfway through 1 lap every race just makes me want to quit sport mode altogether. Just because I drive clean enough to be S rated I get grouped with people that lap me in 4 laps.

I just don't see the fun in being half a track behind all the time. At least let me battle for 12th

Last edited:
I've golded all but the final Driving School test. Missions at 65% gold all but 2. Circuit at 51% gold 64 to 12 not gold. Yes all gold at Maggiore. Still pretty new but I wouldn't think I'm 6-10 seconds slower per lap. 1 or 2 I could see but 6+? Driving with a controller probably costs me a second, not being able to half throttle or feather turns.

I know I need to get better, just wish I could be in competitive races to help with that. Dropping to last and being 20 seconds behind halfway through 1 lap every race just makes me want to quit sport mode altogether. Just because I drive clean enough to be S rated I get grouped with people that lap me in 4 laps.

6-10 seconds behind top ten times or just the races you're in? Per lap? Either way, yeah, time to do the hard work to git gud. But, don't beat yourself up for being that far off alien times. That's why we call em aliens. Takes a lot of work to get there. I was there recently, I am making a concerted effort to get better and now I'm 3-4 seconds off of some aliens in some tracks. Still much learning and practicing to be done.

No, the controller is not making you slower. The game is optimized for the controller. It's an excuse and not a good one. Super GT (he's fast) does a comparison that settles this. Only advantage to wheels is tire wear over longer distances.

As for the last part, that's why I'm not in Sport Mode, I'm busting my virtual butt practicing laps and watching videos trying to get faster. That and getting rammed bothers me more than it should for a video game so I stay away.

Last edited:
I use l2 r2 to shift so x as gas does hinder me I believe. The 'pressure sensitive' is all or nothing it seems. I tried l2 r2 as gas brake but can't get the hang of it. I'm not a fan of GTA.

I've been practicing smooth lines and still get walked on. I just wish there was a way it could group you with equal lap times instead of strictly S ratings. 12 guys with 2.04 laps would be a lot more fun than the spread of 1.56 to 2.10 I usually see. (Those are examples)

You need to make the switch to L2/R2 for brake/gas. I too was a X gas, square for brake, since GT1, so I understand the difficulty of the transition, but you can do it. Just takes a little while to get use to it. I haven't run a sport mode race in forever, but I'll throw a Q lap in every once in a while, if it's a combo I like. I can get within 2-3 seconds of the top time, more often than not, and I don't even race that much. Spend all my time in the livery editor.

My rating is DR-B, SR-S, and I've only run 20 sport mode races.

I'm taking the plunge. Off to practice L2/R2. I'll probably try circuits.

Edit: Took me 21 minutes to gold Streets of Willow Springs. Had to turn off MT, too much goin on! I'll turn it back on when my brain gets used to the switch.

Edit2: and another 24 to gold interlagos.

It's still weird but I'm sold.

Last edited:
The XANAVI, EPSON & SC430 in Gr.2 are currently useless in Sport mode cos that they aren't quick as the new Super GT cars. So I did some research with the three cars and experiment their power and weight. Power (already at 600bhp with BoP) didn't need any change except for weight. I tested the three along with the new Super GT models making sure they aren't too quick or slow for the newer models. I tested them around Yamagiwa, Fuji & Monza. Give this a try and compare lap times with all six Super GT cars in Time Trial and see what you think. I suggest test at Fuji & Monza.

Xanavi GT-R Weight [100% > 97%]
EPSON NSX Weight [100% > 96%]
SC430 Weight [100% > 95%]

If they add the 1997 or 2001 age JGTC cars then expect even worse performance... it would be great if they included 2008 Historic JGTC races that only those three 08 aged cars can run... as it is now they are backmarkers for the current 2016 aged cars.

The XANAVI, EPSON & SC430 in Gr.2 are currently useless in Sport mode cos that they aren't quick as the new Super GT cars. So I did some research with the three cars and experiment their power and weight. Power (already at 600bhp with BoP) didn't need any change except for weight. I tested the three along with the new Super GT models making sure they aren't too quick or slow for the newer models. I tested them around Yamagiwa, Fuji & Monza. Give this a try and compare lap times with all six Super GT cars in Time Trial and see what you think. I suggest test at Fuji & Monza.

Xanavi GT-R Weight [100% > 97%]
EPSON NSX Weight [100% > 96%]
SC430 Weight [100% > 95%]
I wonder if they will ever add GT300 cars. If they do, they shouldn’t be in Gr.2...

I wonder if they will ever add GT300 cars. If they do, they shouldn’t be in Gr.2...
The GT300s are should be in Gr.3 purely due to the fact that they race against FIA GT3 machines competitively, to which the Gr.3 class is based on. Plus, we got some GT300 inspired machines from Mitsubishi and Subaru in Gr.3 already.

The GT300s are should be in Gr.3 purely due to the fact that they race against FIA GT3 machines competitively, to which the Gr.3 class is based on. Plus, we got some GT300 inspired machines from Mitsubishi and Subaru in Gr.3 already.
But the earlier GT300 cars under 300bhp seem like they would probably end up in Gr.4 such as the SUPERAUTOBACS MR-S.

They are slower than GT4 given they used to have about 330hp?

If they are added they need to be put into their own class (Gr.5???) and then put into their own races and mixed into multiclass Gr.2 - there were a whole heap of cars in GT300 from Celicas to NSXs etc.

hqdefault.jpg

And then slap in some Super Taikyu.

As for the last part, that's why I'm not in Sport Mode, I'm busting my virtual butt practicing laps and watching videos trying to get faster. That and getting rammed bothers me more than it should for a video game so I stay away.[/QUOTE]

Fosterions don't stay away from Sport Mode. Use it to your advantage. If you have a PS+ account, simply make another account and race with it. I keep seeing where people don't like Sport Mode due the fact other drivers aren't courteous or simply bring their lobby habits online. Simply hot-lapping and running against AI is only one tool to help you get better. AI and real drivers react differently in races. Just make another account where you don't care about you SR or DR and learn as many tracks as possible. You will get a totally different experience and you may even surprise yourself. Let that PS+ account work for you. Some people don't like the weekly races, but here also you can choose different cars and see which one really suits your driving style.

Keith.

Fosterions don't stay away from Sport Mode. Use it to your advantage. If you have a PS+ account, simply make another account and race with it. I keep seeing where people don't like Sport Mode due the fact other drivers aren't courteous or simply bring their lobby habits online. Simply hot-lapping and running against AI is only one tool to help you get better. AI and real drivers react differently in races. Just make another account where you don't care about you SR or DR and learn as many tracks as possible. You will get a totally different experience and you may even surprise yourself. Let that PS+ account work for you. Some people don't like the weekly races, but here also you can choose different cars and see which one really suits your driving style.

Keith.

I actually went on there yesterday. Got crushed at Lake Maggiore and was mid pack at the Nurburgring until I got rammed off the track in the straight into the Schumacher S. What further demoralizes me is when I see people flying off the track and go way off the line and they're still faster than me. I’m going to stick it out for a little while to see if I adapt.

I actually went on there yesterday. Got crushed at Lake Maggiore and was mid pack at the Nurburgring until I got rammed off the track in the straight into the Schumacher S. What further demoralizes me is when I see people flying off the track and go way off the line and they're still faster than me. I’m going to stick it out for a little while to see if I adapt.

Hang in there. You will only get better. Even the "aliens" don't always get it right. If we all were great, there would be no Igor Fraga"s out there!

PD is a mysterious company. They seem to do an awful lot of technology development and get away with some weird stuff with no negative consequences. Like sure, games sales are down but to be honest theyre down across the board in the genre, and sony doesnt seem to care all that much. Theyre still given what seems to be very few time constraints, or just very few limitations in general. For years now its almost seemed to me as if PD is actually a game developer second, Tech R&D first. They always seem to have some wacky and wild new technology to put in their games; sometimes that technology is so advanced that its more of a tax on the system than its worth to some people. Not me of course, I love watching them go nuts and try their hardest to crash my ps4.

For example: their recent endevours with ray-tracing, and cheating ray-tracing using a PS4. Thats so cool, and a huge resource consumer, but it looks awesome and no-one else is doing it. The fidelity jump between playing GT6 at the Nordschleife during the day, then doing the same on GTS is honestly a bigger jump than PS2 to PS3 to my eyes.

What im trying to get across (despite actually just rambling) is maybe PD seems so invincible because Sony is just using them to showcase their technology and research new technology, and using them to do more or less whatever they want in the meantime. PD honestly seems to care more about technology than actually making an enjoyable game at this point (I say that despite enjoying theyre latest installments almost as much as i ever have).

This kind of relationship would also explain why PD seems to put heaps of time and recources into developing some new technology just to either completely undermine it or even just remove it without trace in the next installment. They have ideas, develope them, prove they either can or cant pull it off to their satisfaction, then move onto the next thing.

Anyways, I just dont know. This is all just my observations; I could be completely wrong, or this could all be common knowledge at this point.

I whinge about scapes a lot but the best thing PD could do if they wanted to keep it for future games is to have a tool where people can upload photos to use in the scape. Like the livery editor,(where the number of in game decals has remained almost stagnant) they should have it being a well designed feature that can be sustained by user input rather than PD continuing to add to the already more than substantial content for the feature.

I whinge about scapes a lot but the best thing PD could do if they wanted to keep it for future games is to have a tool where people can upload photos to use in the scape. Like the livery editor,(where the number of in game decals has remained almost stagnant) they should have it being a well designed feature that can be sustained by user input rather than PD continuing to add to the already more than substantial content for the feature.
Im afraid thats not how it works. Scapes are possible thanks to some incredably expensive cameras that detect and recreate light data in a digital, three dimensional setting.

Back